Author Topic: Uncommon Sense  (Read 1211 times)

Chabxxu

Uncommon Sense
« on: July 17, 2022, 02:00:29 PM »

Uncommon Sense Issue #1
Editor’s word

Dear readers, welcome to the first edition of Uncommon Sense, a newspaper that aims to bring back respectability to news outlets within the city of Port-a-Lucine. You might wonder why I’ve chosen such a name for a newspaper who brags about bringing real news but I assure you the answer is quite simple. Over the last few years, the good citizens of Dementlieu have had to suffer the lack of common sense brought here by foreigners. I can simply hope that sarcasm isn’t lost to them and that it will improve their manners, if they manage to learn our language enough to read our news.

For those unfamiliar with me, my name is Gabriel d’Aubry, second son to Jacques d’Aubry, the Baron de Felcourt. I have written some pieces before for the Observateur, pieces that went directly into the troubles that plague our beautiful city. I intend to bring the same rigor and truth to the articles that shall be published in Uncommon Sense.

Do enjoy this first issue,

Gabriel d’Aubry

Taxing Foreigners: What are we waiting for?

Anyone with a minimum of knowledge knows that the City of Lights is the center of the cultural world, a hub of knowledge with its University, the perfect place to learn a trade or start a company. It’s reputation spreads far and wide, bringing every month a new group of foreigners to our doorstep. While this cements Port-a-Lucine’s reputation and fame, it also comes with its own problems. How many of you, dear citizen of our Serene Republique, have witnessed the idiocy, the complaints and the lamenting of foreigners that live within our country as guests?

Now, don’t get me wrong. Some foreigners are a boon to our country and the city of Port-a-Lucine. They are brave, courteous, dignified, and brilliant. We are lucky to currently host many foreign dignitaries, and for all but one, are incredibly talented people with whom we shall make a better future. Those aren’t the ones I speak of here. I speak of the calibans. The bloodmages, which foreigners enjoy talking about as sorcerers. Those who come here and want to change us, change our way of life. They are quick to complain about the social inequities that are present without our beautiful country. Quick to raise their voices, their banners and their weapons to complain about the gentry, about the lack of food for the commoners. They are quick to complain about everything they think is different from their homeland, about things they dislike about us. Quick to brand us as hypocrites.

But what about them? Have they ever looked in the mirror? Looked at their words, their dealings? And I haven’t even mentioned the atrocities we have suffered at the hands of so many foreigners, coming here to bring death and destruction, leaving a burnt path on their way out. Most of them are also without any scruple and will enrich themselves on whatever they can. They openly talk about their obscene fortunes in the Publique, as if it was nothing. And when confronted about it, all they think about is throwing solars at the problem, as if solars could solve any problems… But they call US hypocrites.

With the current state of our Republique, I ask this to our readers: Shouldn’t we tax foreigners more? Shouldn’t we make them pay for the protection walls? Make them pay more to open business in the city and enrich themselves? Make them pay more for the grain that could go to feeding a Dementlieuse’s family? If they really are drowning on solars, as they keep bragging about, then a new tax to fund the Republique’s many projects, targeted only at foreigners, would be a good way to help develop not only Port-a-Lucine, but all of Dementlieu.

With the current grain deal on the table, and the state of our infrastructure, such new income could be put towards the achievement of those goals and bring even more prosperity to our great Republique.

Gabriel d’Aubry

Colin Beauregard: Can you trust him?

Some of our readers might be familiar with Colin Beauregard, lawyer from Colin and Co Law. Perhaps you are also aware that Monsieur Beauregard used to run his law business in the back office of a bar. One can easily wonder how many drinks he had before reaching his office, and how those drinks would affect his capacities to act as a lawyer. It wouldn’t be too hard to forgive him for the inconvenient office location, as he was the owner of the bar, if that was the only stain on his name. Unfortunatly, there’s quite more to the man than what he shows daily in the city.

Monsieur Beauregard is a man that has very few regards for the law. It is likely that he has decided to become a lawyer to help criminals to escape justice in our Serene Republique and to enrich himself doing so. With rates starting at 10,000 solars a month and going as high as 50,000 solars for a single case, he has no doubt accumulated quite the fortune in working against our Gendarmerie Nationale. If you aren’t convinced yet how you shouldn’t trust him, the best part is yet to come…

Monsieur Beauregard is a resentful and spiteful man. Even if you’ve made him insanely rich by paying him over 80,000 solars for cases, one slight word or action taken as an insult and he shall turn against you. He has absolutely no respect for lawyer-client privilege and will gladly throw his clients to the wolves if he believes he has anything to gain from it, or as an act of revenge. For those unfamiliar with “lawyer-client” privilege, it means that any communication between a client and his lawyer is protected and isn’t to be shared by the lawyer. It serves to protect any client so they can tell their attorney the truth without being prosecuted afterwards. Anyone doing business with Colin and Co Law should be aware of the risks they are taking in doing so, as nothing they say or write to this man can be considered confidential. They are willing to break their own contracts to gain some advantage and the information WILL be used against you if the occasion arises, as multiple recent occasions have proved.

Choose your lawyer wisely.

Gabriel d’Aubry

The Diabolic Match – Review

Advertised as a chilling tale of poisonous ambition, The Diabolic Match fulfills the expectations it had created. The play introduces a trio of bored personalities seeking entertainment in the form of a short magic show. Unfortunately for the trio, they are being tricked by the Falkovnian arcanist into summoning a demon. Seeking eternal power, he plans to use the trio is as sacrificial lambs. The audience is quickly caught in the twists of the scenario, wondering who shall survive the terrible ordeal brought to them by their lack of foresight in the consequences of trusting one who uses the arcane arts. A truly wonderful tale that brings the audience to question themselves as to what they would when face with such choices, and if the end justifies the means. A play that shall be remembered.

Praise is to be given to Miss Grassini, as manager of the Theater, and Miss Dove, writing the scrip, for their success in bringing to life a play that managed to catch the audience’s attention with their different characters. It is also commendable that they managed to wrap everything up under an hour. Unlike other productions in the city, the length of the play made sure none in the audience felt bored by the multiple hours taken to see story to an end. The costumes and settings kept the play simple and focused on the characters itself instead of the setting. A return to a more traditional type of play that left a lasting impression.

As for the actresses, Miss Songbird, Miss Lloyd and Miss Perigord were all excellent in their roles, making each of their characters feel real and motivated when engaged in their back-and-forth bickering. As a member of the audience, learning about each character felt as a story in itself, especially when trying to predict what actions the characters would make. While the audience could gasp at the coldness of replies and actions, the actresses never missed a beat and gave a performance that shall be remembered. Miss Songbird’s performance as the demonic figure was bone-chilling and many in the audience were made uneasy by the dark empty-eyelids of the mask looking at them. The tone of voice and detachment from the Demon was perfectly adapted to what one would expect from such an entity. Miss Perigord’s had what I would describe as the most cold-hearted decisions and she played those with all the detachment one would expect from someone with no morals. Our last member of the trio, Miss Lloyd, had the hardest choices to make, and the difficulty of the burden imposed on her was visible in the acting. We made the audience feel the toll making such decisions left on her. Truly a masterful performance.

The one disappointment I have with the play doesn’t come with the actors or the scrip but how few decided to present themselves. I couldn’t help but noticed how the bulk of the members from the Fleur d’Ambre were absent from the show. It seemed curious that none of them would make their presence known. While I might not have much experience in the theatrical arts, I would have expected people with similar interests to at least show some support when such a show is offered. Perhaps is it true that members of the Fleur d’Ambre were forbidden to work with or attend the play? Another reason for the low attendance is likely the prohibitive costs of the tickets. Five hundred solars seems a little excessive for an organization that hasn’t presented a show in months. Here’s to hoping that their next production shall bring him a larger attendance.

Final note: 9/10

Gabriel d’Aubry
White to play, mate in 1. Can you find the move?
Incoming events:
July 18th:  Lecture on Naval warfare at the University
July 18th: Chess evening at the Broken Spire
July 22th: Summer’s Night Gala at the Fetes Champetres
Uncommon Sense is currently seeking writers for regular articles. Interested parties should contact Monsieur d’Aubry.
Advertisement spots shall also be offered in future issues of the paper. Those interested in being advertised should also contact Monsieur d’Aubry

Chabxxu

Re: Uncommon Sense
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 11:02:46 AM »

Uncommon Sense Issue #2
Editor’s word

Dear readers, welcome to the second edition of Uncommon Sense, a newspaper that aims to bring back respectability to news outlets within the city of Port-a-Lucine. The newspaper first issue was a resounding success through the city, and I very much enjoyed reading your responses to our articles. I had expected nothing less than civility and respect from those living within the walls of the City of Lights.

This week, I offer you a review of the Summer Night’s Gala, a resume of the debate hosted at the University about magic licensing, and an interview with non other than Rene de Poudre, leader of La Societe Reformiste.

Enjoy!

Gabriel d’Aubry

Summer Night’s Gala

The Summer Night’s Gala was held on July 22nd at the Fetes Champetres. Hosted by Shrixenna of Lueltar and sponsored by House d’Aubry, the Gala was a mean to celebrate the end of winter and the beginning of summer, the Gala took place at the beginning of the evening and lasted through most of the night. Each attending member was giving two stones, which they add to offer to a member of the opposing gender who represented the poise, grace and embodiment of their season.

This enjoyable competition was enough to make people mingle with others, and create a festive air around the fairgrounds. Everyone very much enjoyed themselves and it was an opportunity to either catch up with friend you hadn’t seen in a long time, or simply meet newcomers to Port-a-Lucine!

The entertainment of the Gala was offered by Doctoresse Camelia de Chauret, who all though the night, performed multiple pieces to allow the guests to dance at their leisure. A master of the violin, she played piece after piece, an unending musical show for the enjoyment of those present. Almost from the start of the Gala, the floor was filled with guests that enjoyed the different pieces and rythmes presented by the Doctoresse. Truly the evening wouldn’t have been the same without this talented musician.

Jalil Shrixenna of Lueltar did an incredible job in organizing and advertising the Gala. From start to finish, she planned, bought and recruited everything and everyone that was needed to make the evening a success. She deserves great praise for her work and I would recommend her to anyone with a desire to organize a social event in the city.

Gabriel d’Aubry

University Debate

In the afternoon of July 23rd, a debate was hosted at the department of law at the University of Dementlieu. Monsieur Marcel de Renault offered this question to be debated: Should magic licenses be reinstated?  Of course, such a subject is always sure to ruffle a few feathers, especially from arcanists without the city, and the University room was filled by the time the debate started. Each side featured three members, who would answer two questions, before the audience had the opportunity to ask their own questions. Gabriel d’Aubry, Mariah Parsons and Miss Dove were selected for their stance against licensing, while Shrixenna Lueltar, Colin Beauregard and Yasutsugi Katayama were selected for their stance for the return of licenses.

Question 1: Do you think licenses would have prevented terrorist attacks and Rithwarian Luelana to go rogue?

On this question, both side agreed that most terrorists attacks against the city were done with the usage of black powder, and that licensing of mages wouldn’t have done much in refraining those people from doing what they did.

The question of arcanists going rogue and mad with power brought up a more interesting debate, but in the end, it was quite clear that licences can hardly stop an arcanist to have a moment of madness and go on a rampage in the city. Unfortunately, their capacity for destruction is much greater than someone using a rapier, and it is why we talk about it more. It was also brought up that licensing wouldn’t be much help against the foreigners who visited the city on an irregular basis. Other than giving more work to our already overworked Gendarmerie, those with nefarious intent would also commit such, with or without licenses.

Question 2: For those in favor: Where would you draw the line for the regulations?

The answers to this question were two many and vague for list them all here, an allocation from Lord Balfour de Castelle seem to bolster their resolution and give the burden of overseeing the licensing to people who had an extensive experience within the arcane arts. Most of them also mentioned how the Gendarmerie would need to be involve, giving even more work to them, as previously mentioned.

For those against: How would you handle the problem of dangerous mages?

The general consensus here seemed to be that the Gendarmerie and noble retinues should have more arcanists integrated within them, to make it easier to deal with any dangerous mage that might happen to go mad. Only those with extension knowledge of the arcane arts can effectively counter another arcanist, which licenses cannot do once the dangerous act is in motion. A piece of paper isn’t a shield for the members of our Republique.

After the two questions by Monsieur de Renault, Monsieur du Quesne was allowed to ask an interesting question that I have added below:

What would be a suitable punishment for practices without a licence as well as continual use once a licence was suspended?

The question was asked to those who want licensing, and the most common answer was an increase in fines and imprisonment for those who repeatedly broke the law. Nothing too different than what is already in place for other crimes.

Overall, while the debate was interesting, nothing new really came from it. No argument brought up by those for the return of licensing were convincing enough to make licensing a solution. Most of them got lost in specific instances of the arcane sciences, forgetting the work and paperwork that would need to be put behind it for a very little payoff in the end. Licensing wasn’t proven an effective way to stop the destruction done my foreigner arcanists.

A shoutout to Miss Lueltar who admitted having changing her views from the debate, and while she wouldn’t ask for a return to licenses for every arcanist, she would recommend that those breaking the law with their magic be forced to carry a license, as an easier way for the Gendarmerie to keep track and suspend the use of magic for those recurring criminals.

Gabriel d’Aubry
La Société Réformiste

For this interview, Uncommon Sense has had the chance to sit down with Warden Rene de Poudre, the man behind the creation of La Société Réformiste, a political party created in answer to la Société du Gouverneur. Here’s what he had to say.

Warden de Poudre, why have you decided to start a political party by the name of La Societe Reformiste?

Well, I believe that there is a portion of the population both gentry and otherwise who do not fall into the traditional view of things like the La Société du Gouverneur. I want to see who does and have their voices heard and represented.

I'm sure it is very appreciated by those who indeed think like you. Now, unto the Grain Deal with Borca. Could you explain to me what you mean by looking inward to grow our own food and employing Dementlieuse citizens? What is the link with the Borcan Deal?

The Borcan Deal is a good initiative, though I believe that we should be planning for the long term and break the cycle of relying upon imports. I believe we've all seen what happens during war what that does to our population.

How would you suggest we do that?

Well, I am still consulting all options with the other interested members, but I believe our government should have a more active role in utilising unused land for farming, fishing and the likes. These things would take time, but benefit us in the long term and we can hire our citizens or even foreigners out of work. One of the ideas floating about presently. I am not at liberty to say who has expressed interest however.

To the next question then. Why are you against the use of our beloved Guillotine in the case of High Crimes?

A big question, I will do my best to be concise. Essentially I believe the death penalty is immoral and we should look to alternative options, if there is one chance that someone who is to be sentenced is innocent I would not want to take it.

Isn't that a soft stance on those who have committed terrible crimes? Some would say you aren't willing to do what needs to be done?

We can not undo crimes that occur, perhaps we should be looking into what causes people to do such horrible things instead, though I would doubt that imprisonment or exile depending on the case would be soft since it would deprive one from partaking in the greatest country in the Core. There are many ways to enforce the law that does not require a date with Madame Guillotine.

On your stance on Falkovnia, you mentioned you would use a strong military force as a last resort against them. What exhausting all other options mean for you? Can you state some of the options you have in mind?

Well as I mentioned in my policies, we should be looking to our allies in the Treaty of Four Towers for assistance, cooperation with them when Falkovnian aggression start swinging our way.

Use the armies of our allies instead of our own then?

No, what I mean is that when the Falkovnians are trying to assert themselves on us, we should meet without allies to explore options before war. This could come in many forms, cessation of imports, negotiations and such. They need to export their resources afterall, it does not go one way.

Why do you think all foreigners should be getting their citizenships?

I did not say all foreigners should get citizenships, I believe that we should be looking into making the process easier, quicker, that does not mean hitting a rubber stamp that says "Approved" the moment the request is handed in. I outlined as such in my policy. I have heard stories of people waiting years just to hear back, if people are contributing to our society, follow our laws and customs, I think it would be a disservice to let it linger.

Are you not worried about arcanists causing troubles in the city? And don't you think it is disrespectful to our gentry to force them to get licenses, if such was implemented?

I believe our Gendarmes do an excellent job of dealing with troublesome arcanists and to suggest a license should be mandated is an implication they are doing a poor job, which I don't believe they are. I believe it is disrespectful to our Gendarmes to suggest such and that the current suggestions I've seen floating around don't really address the issue, but rather target specific groups. 

Why do you think our cultural values should be more flexible regarding marriage and decorum.

I'll start with marriage first. I don't have an issue with the way things work with marriage, though what I’ve read that the idea of romance in a courtship so cast aside is rather disappointing to hear If two suitors match and adhere to standards expected of them by families and there is merely beyond duty, I don't see it as a problem, may make it more beneficial to the marriage instead. As for decorum, I don't believe it is, I believe most people know what to expect how to behave and dress in say the Quartier Publique among the gentry, the few that don't can be taught, why should we involve our Gendarmes if it isn't a clear-cut case such as blatant nudity.

Thank you to Warden de Poudre for his answers. If you have any questions or comments about the interview, do send them to us!
Chess puzzle
Last’s issue answer: Bishop to f7
This issue’s puzzle: Black to play, mate in 2.

Incoming events:
August 3rd: Opening of Aubry Martial Academy at Warehouse 2

Uncommon Sense is currently seeking writers for regular articles. Interested parties should contact Monsieur d’Aubry.
Advertisement spots shall also be offered in future issues of the paper. Those interested in being advertised should also contact Monsieur d’Aubry

Chabxxu

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 04:10:00 PM »

Uncommon Sense Issue #3
Editor’s word

Dear readers, welcome to the third edition of Uncommon Sense, a newspaper that aims to bring back respectability to news outlets within the city of Port-a-Lucine. This week, we have the pleasure of offering you an article from Monsieur Gram Smith, his first attempt at writing such a piece. I very much hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.

A shorter issue this week, has the city has been mostly calm. With quite a few events in the coming weeks, do expect a longer fourth issue!
Enjoy!

Gabriel d’Aubry

A midsummer Night Auction Mistep, by G.S.

This past night the much-anticipated Shotaru’s Rokuman Delights Auction was held, and what a show it was. For good or ill, the auction was a spectacle to behold.  But dear readers, for those of you whom were not fortunate enough to witness it first hand allow me to regale you about last night’s show.

The auction got off to a very rough start, coming quite close in my opinion to not even being started. The auctioneer, Monsieur Katayama, attempted to start the auction in the common Trade Tongue, which granted was probably a wise choice judging by the number of Outlanders, not to mention the number of whom had tails.  However, amongst the audience was Monsieur d’Aubry, a well-known and liked Gendarme, he politely reminded Monsieur Katayama about the law precluding the use of any language other than High Mordentish for artistic expression. Whilst in my opinion a bit of a broad reading of the law. An opinion that, I, after having witnessed last nights show, agree with for this auction was a show to behold.  However, at the time this interpretation of the law saw some mild objection from the participants, but the matter was not pushed further.

Perhaps it was the brief debate that put Monsieur Katayama on the back foot or perhaps it was us the audience, but whilst the auction had now started, it continued to struggle. The first lot, the Ankh of Ptah, a relic from the dunes of Har’Akir, whilst a majestic item, failed to gather interest. The Ankh, despite Monsieur Katayama’s best efforts, failed to garner a bid and was quickly packed away.

The second lot also fell flat. It was an armour made out of the hide of some Akiri beast. Whilst of excellent make and quality, it wasn't well received by the audience. This lot also failed to get an opening bid and was packed away even quicker than the Ankh.

Third lot, and perhaps third time lucky? Sadly, it was not to be, the third lot, the Hunta Guardian, also failed to get an opening bid. Whilst not as much of a flob as the second lot, for it did garner some interest from those in attendance. But ultimately from those whom I talked to was deemed to be overpriced, thus failing to garner a bid to match the asking price.

For three lots we saw some mild discussions but ultimately no bids. This, I am sure, was not how Monsieur Katayama saw this evening going. So far, the auction had been entertaining to watch but definitely not profitable for Monsieur Katayama or those whom partnered with him to put this auction on. But the man is a professional, I will give him that, he was able to maintain a positive attitude and soldier on.

A fine cape made its appearance among the items being offered, and this  finally marked a turning point in the auction, for every lot after this one, save one, saw a fair amount of interest and quite a few bids. However, the night would not end without issue. The first issue that occurred was an Outlander attempting to bid on one of their own items, this of course is not allowed during an auction. And whilst Monsieur Katayama was quick to disallow it. It marred the rest of the auction, for perspective bidders kept having to ask whether or not an item that was being bid on by said Outlander was his or not.

A more major interruption to the night’s events, was the arrival of a group of uninvited guests. About midway through the auction, a group of local thugs decided to trespass and assault one of the attendees. Jalil Lueltar, a local socialite and hostess of the recent Summer’s Night Gala, found herself the victim of their brutal assault within Monsieur Katayama’s establishment. Luckily these brutes were quickly dispatched before they caused more harm, sadly the damage was done. For I was left questioning whether or not we would be attacked again, and why was it that Monsieur Katayama did not hire security?

Following this interruption was almost immediately another. A few lots after the uninvited guests’ appearance, a lot came up that caused an immediate stir in the audience. A vicious looking dagger was shown, and whilst there was discussion about the item no one seemed willing to bid on it. The weapon, this time, appeared like a tool that was designated solely for murder - Without defensive properties and clearly not crafted to be put in the hands of an honorable fighter. The manufacturer appeared Darkonese - needless to say, Monsieur d’Aubry stepped in and confiscated it on the claim that it was an item of contraband. I for one am glad he did so, there is no place in our city for items of the sort.

Can I recommend Shotaru’s Rokuman Delights for your auction needs?

Currently not, but I can see the potential. I sadly cannot recommend Monsieur’s Katayama’s establishment after his first attempt to broker your sales until after they prove capable of hosting an auction without issue. At the bare minimum they need to come up with some rules for their auctions specifically with regards to the bidding process, having posted bidding increments and not to dally on calling an item sold trying to squeeze out an extra thousand solar or two. I would also recommend that they hire security and until that time I'd advise those thinking of attending to come armed.

To sum up, last night’s auction at Shotaru's Rokuman Delights was a joy to watch. It made me glad to be an attendee and not a participant. If last night’s events were to be turned into a play, I am sure the entirety of the Dementlieu, if not beyond, would be talking about it for weeks, if not months. It was a night that one had to witness to believe.

How to make an unsuccessful auction

On the 6th of August was held an auction in the Quartier Marchand by Shotaru’s Rokuman Delights. To say that the auction was in par with Dementlieu’s standards would be an insult to all other auctions having been held in the Republique over the last few years.

When arriving at the location of the auction, costumers were greeted by no-one. The first room of the auction-house was completely empty. No barmaid, no doorman. Any beggar, thug or thief had free access to the warehouse to disrupt the event and bother the guests, if they had desired such. If you were lucky and managed not to get assaulted upon entering, you would make your way to the second room, where you would be quickly accosted by Monsieur Katayama who would ask you for the entry fee.

I can imagine a few of our readers are raising a brow when hearing about an entry fee for an auction and I assure you my reaction was the same. Why would you make people pay a fee to be able to participate in an event that should, in theory, making the auctioneer quite rich? Other than showing a lack of taste and understanding of the city, the real reason quickly came to light: the auctioned items were lack lusting and overpriced. When the first three auctioned items did not receive a single bid, it became clear that the fees were a way for the event to actually make some solars, as the auction itself wouldn’t bring much profits.

However, some items eventually found some people willing to spend some coin, and bids started going up and up. In an attempt to keep people betting, Monsieur Katayama decided that insulting one of the guest betting on his goods would be a good idea to ensure his opponent would continue betting and bring the prices up. Do I even need to develop on the lack of decorum and respect that shows?

Unfortunately, it wasn’t the only disturbing behavior that happened that night. Midway through the auction, it became clear that some of the items offered at auction had been given to Monsieur Katayama by foreigners. These same foreigners were within the attendance, were not asked to pay the entry fee, and were allowed to bet on the items. What was bound to happen eventually did, and the foreigners started betting on their own findings, in an attempt to bring the prices up, and make more profit. As this happened a few times, and that bids offered for items were ignored when the person making the bid didn’t satisfy Monsieur Katayama gave an odd feeling of corruption to the entire event and a bad taste in the mouth of those who attended in the hopes of buying something. How were they to know that the entire thing wasn’t rigged?

For all the reasons started in this article, along with the attempt to sell contraband and advertising the auction of items that weren’t even shown on the day of the event, this auction was a perfect example on what not to do, if one desires to be successful in Port-a-Lucine.

Gabriel d’Aubry

Rithwarian Luelana brought to Justice

It is with great pleasure that I write this: the dangerous criminal Rithwarian Luelana has finally been brought to justice and has paid for her crimes commited in and towards our Serene Republique. We can all sleep more easily at night now, knowing that she is not in a position to bring harm to people in our country anymore. We owe this peace of mind to Monsieur Atticus, Miss Lueltar and Miss Parsons who combined their efforts in stopping her rampage. On the behalf of the citizens who now feel more safe, I thank you.

Gabriel d’Aubry

Chess puzzle
Last’s issue answer: Knight to e2. King forced to b1. Rook takes on d1. Checkmate.
This issue’s puzzle: Black to play, mate in 3.

Incoming events:
August 14rd: Talent show at Shop 1
August 20th: Richemuloise Culture lecture at the University
August 27th: Le Grand Tournoi
August 28th:  The Prismatic Perspective Theory at Shop 3

Chabxxu

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 09:43:52 PM »

Uncommon Sense Issue #4
Editor’s word

Dear readers, welcome to the fourth edition of Uncommon Sense, a newspaper that aims to bring back respectability to news outlets within the city of Port-a-Lucine.  It’s been a few weeks since the last issue, but I hope you shall all enjoy this one. Some more articles from Monsieur Gram along with some news about Port-a-Lucine.

Anyone willing to contribute to the newspaper should contact me to arrange a meeting!

Do enjoy this issue,

Gabriel d’Aubry

In Memory of Sieur Marcel de Renault

It is with a deep sadness that I write these words to report the death of Sieur Marcel de Renault during a mission on the behalf of the Gendarmerie. Sieur Marcel has always been an exemple of diligence and loyalty. He was an excellent Gendarme officer, completely dedicated in his service to the Republic and the ideals our country represents.

While he shall be missed, I consider myself lucky to have known him and been trained by him. I shall forever carry on his teachings and make sure he isn’t forgotten. He gave his life to ensure the success of our mission, and his sacrifice shall not go to waste.

Sieur Marcel, we thank you for your service.
Vive la Republique.

Gabriel d’Aubry

A Review of Trials of the Saintess

I had the pleasure of attending the showing of the Trials of the Saintess, written and directed by Mademoiselle Dove. This production was quite different from any other productions and performances I have witnessed in the city. Whilst the overall performance of the performers was beyond reproach in my opinion the subject of the production was questionable.

The Trials of the Saintess was advertised as a 'chilling tale of tainted succour', sadly I do not believe the production succeed in telling that tale. I found that the Trials of the Saintess was more a cautionary tale of tainted power. The Saintess, whilst perhaps naïve has the best of intentions when she seeks out the power to heal those sick and injured.  She was cautioned through out by the Ezerite Warden about one must not only heal the body but also protect the spirt as well and how the only trustworthy power come from Ezra and how all power that do not are nefarious. The Saintess’ lack of faith, for a lack of a better term, did see her banished from town by the Warden and some of the townsfolk. We are latter introduced to a Dark being who recounts a story of mortals having two spirts and offers the saintess the chance to complete herself with a ritual. The play ends before the ritual is completed though so we do not know the outcome.

I must praise Mlle Dove for her writing and especially for her direction of this production, the final ritual scene had every member of the audience on the edge of their seats, and with most of us rubbing our eyes in disbelief. I do however question the wisdom of performing such rituals on stage. I understand that this is a cautionary tale, a tale to show the danger in magic and in powers unknown, but at the same time this is promoting that dangerous magic and power. Many folks, outlanders in particular, seek nothing more than power and do not care how they go about getting it. We only have to look at recent events in Barovia to see the seductive and dangerous nature such powers have. The last thing I wish to see is the rise of such things here in our fair city.

Overall, I thought this production quite good, and while maybe not the most tasteful or wise was at least relevant with current events abroad. I did think the play was the perfect length though I wish we had had a proper conclusion and not one that left us wondering if the show was over or not. Hopefully this is only the first part of the story of the Saintess. I would give this production a 7.5/10, a worthwhile production to see, but not a perfect one.

Gram Smith

Another week, another scandal for Monsieur Katayama

I couldn’t help but wonder how Sieur Marcel would have reacted when seeing a woman of noble birth, Mademoiselle Diane Passeleau, holding arms and receiving flowers from a commoner. All in the city are quite aware of what Sieur Marcel thought of those things and it is very unfortunate that simply a few weeks after his passing, such negligence is being shown by members of the gentry.

It wouldn’t be a scandal in itself however if Mademoiselle Passeleau’s father was aware of the match and had given in agreement to it. I’m sure our readers already know where this is heading. You’d be right in thinking that he isn’t aware of the current distasteful courting being done out in the open in Port-a-Lucine. It would be very surprising that he would approve of his daughter marrying a commoner from outside the country, losing all of her privileges.

Clearly a surprising choice my Monsieur Katayama, especially when he is trying so hard to gain citizenship for himself.

Gabriel d’Aubry

A Night at the Orchid

The Orchid and Willow opened their doors for the first time a few nights ago with their hosting of a talent show.  Many of you know the proprietors of the Orchid and Willow for they are Monsieur et Madame Dragunescu-Istrate. Madame Dragunescu-Istrate as you all know is a true purveyor of the arts and she hopes to make the Orchid and Willow into an establishment that will help “bridge between the artistic establishments within the city.” A bold statement, especially as she intends to have an “Open door Policy”, where so long as one is respectful you are welcome at the Orchid and Willow.  Whilst a noble ideal, I fear that this will lead to more outlanders coming to our fair city.

Now the show itself was to be judged my Mme Dragunescu-Istrate, M. Diosa and Mlle Grassini, and it was divided into four separate categories; dance, vocal, musicianship and acting.  I believe this was an excellent decision by the Orchid and Willow to show off all the artistic talents that exist in our beautiful city. This however did have the consequence of making the show to be quite long, and quite a few patrons left halfway through the show, or dozing off in their seats by the time the final category came around. Even one of the judges had to leave before the final category. Whilst this was not necessarily a good first impression for the Orchid and Willow, the talent that was showcased that evening in my opinion saved the night.

The Opening
The evening started off with an excellent musical performance by Madame Dragunescu-Istrate, a performance in my opinion that would have won her top spot in the musical category, if not the entire show had she been competing.  Truly she deserves her reputation.

Dance
Mlle Périgord started off the dance category with a superb ballet performance. Her technique and poise were exquisite.  It is quite obvious that Mlle Périgord is highly trained in the arts, especially those which are popular in our city. 

Mlle Barozzi followed Mlle Périgord’s ballet with a tarantella, a dance that I had never seen or even heard of before. While dancing the tarantella she also explained it’s history to the audience. This dance is apparently a Borcan dance, named after a spider that once plagued Borcan villages. Apparently, this dance was the cure to the spiders venom, the dance would tire out the victim and they would sweat out the venom of the spider. Just from watching Mlle Barozzi performance I was tired. I can certainly believe the origins of this dance.

This category was quite the challenging one to judge in my opinion. All the judges praised Mlle Périgord technical skill, but most hopped that she would convey a bit more emotion in her performance. I can certainly see where the judges are coming from, especially compared to Mlle Barozzi’s performance. Mlle Barozzi’s performance was commended by all the judges for its originality and it’s display of Borcan culture. I also felt like it displayed more emotion than Mlle Périgord performance.  This category was won by Mlle Périgord, by a decision of two to one.

Vocals
M. Lascaris started off his performance by telling the audience that he is a fraud, and that he had a friend compose the piece he was going to perform. I do not believe that this is the mark of a fraud, for many performers perform pieces that they do not compose. His performance however, in my opinion, was not well suited for his audience. The song he sung was quite obviously was not composed in High Mordentish and was intended for a simpler establishment.
Mlle Barozzi song was composed by her, and was quite the piece. A tale courage and of honor was sung. Her song told the tale of a hero slaying a beast, whilst a common and simple tale. This rendition of was anything but simple. Mlle Barozzi, was able to capture and portray the emotions that one would feel in the Hero’s place exquisetly.

Mlle Périgord again showed her mastery of the arts by performing a song from the Opera the Marquise d’Ambre, Alienor’s Aria.  Her performance of the piece was beyond reproach and was quite well received by the audience. 

This category was much easier to judge compared to the previous one in my opinion. With all three judges voting in favour of Mlle Barozzi performance. All the judges praised M Lascaris courage for his performance. However, they found that his piece was a bit simple and that it seemed slightly rushed. Mlle Barozzi’s performance was once again praised for its energetic nature and its enthralling narrative. Mme Dragunescu-Istrate also praised Mlle Barozzi’s creativity, a praise that I echo.  Mlle Périgord technical skills again were again praised by the judges, however sadly Mme Dragunescu-Istrate and M. Diosa felt that they were biased and could not vote for her due to their involvement in the Opera the Marquise d’Ambre. This showed great integrity on their part but I felt that this admission stole a bit from Mlle Barozzi’s victory. I personally do not think that Mlle Périgord lost this round due to the judges’ bias but in fact lost it on merit to Mlle Barozzi.

Musicianship
Again, this category had only two contestants, Mlle Barozzi and Mlle Périgord. And again, we got two very different pieces. As we have come to expect through the course of the show Mlle Barozzi played an energetic and captivating piece, whilst Mlle Périgord played a piece which displayed her amazing technical skill. Both performances were quite good but for different reasons. 

Mlle Périgord’s piece was technical excellent but it felt safe, according to Mme Dragunescu-Istrate. Where as Mlle Barozzi’s piece felt new, and more importantly was more evocative. Mlle Barozzi’s ability to capture and portray emotions with her performances is what won her this round in my opinion. 

Acting
I believe that this category was misrepresented, or at least miss named, for only two performances were acting.  This category was more of a catch all for performances that did not fit in the previous three. This however did have the benefit of having the most contestants.

This category started off with a poetry reading by M Groditje.  M. Yahtzee followed M Groditje with a performance, that still to this day I am left questioning, his performance whilst confusing was quite entertaining to watch. Jalil Lueltar performed next, with a most excellent acting solo that was inspired by the Heart of Ice and from the crime spree that occurred a few months ago, this performance was entitled Daughters.  After this performance Mlle Barozzi decided to withdraw feeling like she was incapable of following Jalil Lueltar’s performance.  Finally, Mlle Périgord finished off the night by performing the Comtesse de Chatillon’s Monologue from the Tale of the Comptesse, from act III scene I.

All four performance were quite unique and quite different but they all were quite good.  M Grodije performance whilst on the simpler side did show promise and as Mlle Grassini said, it was obvious it came from the soul.  M.Yahtzee’s performance was probably the most unique thing I have ever had the pleasure the of witnessing. Whilst I found it confusing and odd, I can not help but agree with Mme Dragunescu-Istrate that it was quite well performed and that it captured the joy of magic. Though Mlle Grassini is right magic is not a high art, but it certainly is entertaining and has its place in the arts.  Once again Mlle Périgord’s performance was a perfect display of technical excellence, however her performance was sadly overshadowed by Jalil Lueltar’s performance. Both Mme Dragunescu-Istrate and Mlle Grassini agreed that Jalil Lueltar’s performance was the best of this category and that it was one of the best artistic displays they have seen.

Conclusion
The talent put on display was impressive however I felt like the show suffered due to a lack of performers in some categories, specifically the dance and music categories. I also felt like the evening dragged on a bit too long. Towards the end of the show it was quite hard to pay attention due to length of the show. I would suggest that any future shows either are either spread over multiple days or that the performances are limited to a certain length.

Though overall, it is my opinion that the talent show was an excellent show and that it ended as huge success. It highlighted so many different talents and showcased some of the best performers. Mlle Barozzi may have been the overall winner of the talent show but all three winners showcased exceptional talent and I hope to see them all preform again.  If this is the sort of talent Mlle Dragunescu-Istrate’s establishment, the Orchid and Willow, attracts then her establishment will definitely be the talk of the city amongst those whom are patrons of the arts in the future.

Gram Smith

Chess puzzle
Last issue’s answer: Queen to c2, King forced to a1, Queen to c1, rook takes queen, rook takes rook. Checkmate.
This issue’s puzzle: Black to play, mate in 2.
Incoming events:
Septembre 14th: Painting Class at the Orchid
Septembre 23rd `: White Day Ball at the Governor Hotel

Chabxxu

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 11:14:54 PM »

Uncommon Sense Issue #5
Editor’s word

Dear readers, welcome to the fifth edition of Uncommon Sense, a newspaper that aims to bring back respectability to news outlets within the city of Port-a-Lucine.  A shorter issue this week, with a resume of the last Council Meeting and an open letter to those interested in the Silent Fields campaign.

Anyone willing to contribute to the newspaper should contact me to arrange a meeting!

Do enjoy this issue,

Gabriel d’Aubry

Council Meeting September 25th, 777

What would be a Council Meeting with Maitre Maurice Talleyrand having a go at those attending the meeting, in the usual sharp words we know him? Again, Maitre Maurice was in great form, having a sharp line at the ready for everyone who wished to enter. One wonders if he is planning on leaving his position in a near future, as he was also grooming someone to succeed him. Hopefully it wasn’t the last time were witnessed him do what he do best.

Matters of state:

Monsieur le Foy, the Falkovnian Ambassador, was the first to bring a concern in front of the Council, but he was quickly dealt with by a single phrase from the Lady-Governor. He returned to his spot at the back of the Council room like a dog with a tail between his legs, where was thankfully wasn’t heard again.

Councillor Drukker continues to seek alternative means of providing for our people. While there hasn’t been much progress since the last Council Meeting, he was glad to announce that the Lanterne d’Espoir, a food bank managed by Miss Mariah Parsons, had been brought into compliance with the state program. Uncommon Sense wishes to thank Miss Parsons for her work to feed the people of the Republique.

Councillor Palascu was glad to announce that the revenues from the Republique have doubled from the projections from last month. He is currently working on a temporary reduction to the tax owed to the state by the aristocracy. A proposal sure to enchant the gentry.

Councillor D’Honaire announced the intention of the department of Law to soon name a new magistrate. It should be quite interesting to find out who the potential candidates are, and of course who shall be chosen!

Petitions for letters patent

The Baronet d’Angiers, Monsieur Ramon Lucroy, made his bid for the title of Baron de Challignac, which had been seized from the Duc d’Ameranthe. Monsieur le Baronet served many years in the Gendarmerie Nationale, even fighting off Falkovnians in two occasions. To support him, the Baron de Miseaux stepped up to speak on the Baronet’s honor and dignity. The Barony was given with a majority of Councillors voting in favor.

The second bid was for the County of Boie, which had been seized from le Maitrisier. Lord Louis de Bellegarde spoke in favor of a ward of his, Vide Dauphiné. He presented him as being a descendent of a noble lineage going back to Leon himself. Although the Council was mostly unimpressed by such claims, Monsieur Dauphiné made an inspiring speech and managed to change the Council Members opinions. No decision was taken however, and the matter has been differed to a later date.

Citizenship applicants

Almerino Delmar, Lieutenant for the Red Vardo Traders here in Port-a-Lucine, made his bid for citizenship. His opening statement, where he disclosed the reasons for wanting citizenship, was simply brilliant. Concise, to the point and with a clear desire to improve our Serene Republique in any way he could. Even more impressive than his speech was the amount of noble support he had managed to gather for the occasion. House Clemenceau, House Ambroiseux, House Jalabert-Roquette and even House de Bellegarde spoke for him, and his application was accepted.
Congratulations Monsieur Delmar.

Silent Fields Campaign

The Council Meeting ended with discussion about the upcoming Silent Fields operation in Richemulot. Three volunteers stepped up to lead Dementlieu’s forces to the Fields, to complete Dementlieu’s objectives. General Gastion Virieux, famous for his victories in Falkovnia was the first to express his interest. The newly appointed Baron de Challignac, Raymon Lucroy, made his claim next, his Gendarmerie background and actions in the last two Falkovnian invasion speaking to his skills. Lastly, Caporal Gabriel d’Aubry, son to the Baron de Felcourt, expressed his interest in the commission. Nothing was decided during the meeting however, as the one gaining the favor of the Council for the commission would only be voted at the next Council Meeting.

Gabriel d’Aubry : Might. Justice. Country.

Duty has been instilled into me by my father since I’ve been a small child. To protect one’s country has always been the greatest duty but also the greatest honor that a man could hope for. It is that responsibility that has pushed me to joined the Gendarmerie to serve has a Gendarme and now a Caporal. It is that responsibility that gives me sleepless nights, worried that our enemies might strike, and that my people my suffer.

Ever since I’ve started serving, I’ve heard foreigners complain about my methods and the way I use the law. Little do they understand of the struggle of our work. Of the pressure we are under every single moment, to ensure our gentry and commoners alike are safe. Every action I take is for the betterment of our Serene Republique and I do not regret ruffling the feathers of a few foreigners to make sure everyone in this city is safe.

The greatest threat Dementlieu faces right now is the food shortage, which is mostly felt by our commoners who struggle to feed their families. The Grain Deal with Borca and Richemulot seems to be the best way forward to solve the threat. The Silent Fields Campaign in the latest bump in the deal, and a few members of the gentry have shown their interest in leading our forces into the Fields, to ensure Dementlieu’s victory.

Having been part of the negotiations in it’s later stages as well as having personally lead missions in the Fields, I have a personal responsibility in seeing this deal to it’s conclusion and making sure that Dementlieu gets the best out of it. While I might not have the same experience as General Virieux, my knowledge of the layout of the field of battle and of the foes waiting for us are invaluable assets that will give our troops an advantage.

If the commission be offered to me, I would continue to devote my heart and soul to the protection of our country and the furthering of our goals. My personal opinions would never stand in the way of doing what is best for Dementlieu. This means working with our allies to make sure the Fields are cleansed of the mercenary filth that has been plaguing Richemulot for years. This means standing for Dementlieu interest in tough situations. To members of the gentry I ask this: Am I not the type of man you want when things get hard? Someone who will stand tall and strong for Dementlieu in its moment of need, unwilling to cower when threatened? I know I am that man, who can bring Dementlieu to a victory in the Fields and assure our people a supply of grain for years to come.

Caporal Gabriel d’Aubry

Chess puzzle
This issue’s puzzle: Black to play, mate in 3.
Incoming events:
October 6th: Poetry Night at warehouse 2
October 8th: Theatre des Terreurs at La Fleur d'Ambre
October 21st : High Tea & Art at the Orchid
October 23rd : The Phantom’s Ball
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 01:30:58 PM by Gabriel d’Aubry »