You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Powers Seduction  (Read 9555 times)

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Powers Seduction
« on: June 23, 2022, 06:50:19 PM »

"You've been plaguing my family for generations!" The shrill voice wailed.

"My dear, I have not been plaguing your family. I've been EMPOWERING it." A second voice said.

"You've ruined my chances with three suitors. How am I supposed to marry into a good Barovian family with you?!"

"Oh, who says you have to marry into any family? Why not make your own future, your own fortune, your own power?"

"Hala help me, I wont succumb to your temptations, Imp."
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Re: Powers Seduction
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 02:01:38 PM »

The year was 765, twelve years ago.

"Mother, tell me, why do we have to say papa was a Barovian soldier?"
"So that you can get a better life."
"What do you mean?"
The older woman sighed heavily as she continued to brush the young girls hair. "You're only half Barovian. If they knew the truth you'd be treated terribly, and I promised your papa that I would do everything I can I make sure you don't have to live that way."
"But isn't lying bad? I don't want to hurt people Mother."
"It is bad, but not in this case. Now come on, you have a suitor to meet today. Go put your nicest dress on."
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 02:26:30 PM »

The first was the young son of a fabric merchant.
He was fair, kind and caring, but secrets were waiting to be spoken.
In the darkness of the nights, something ate away at his sanity.
More and more he would fret and panic, claiming something was after him.
Something spoke to him from the darkness each night.
Whatever it was, it began when Augustus started courting her.
Whatever it was, it ate away at his sanity until a cell was made for him at Zarcroft Asylum.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 02:35:43 PM »

The second suitor was a fish monger.
He was smart, witty and funny.
He would make sure that she would be a happy wife.
Knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Forbidden texts were revealed one morning falling from his satchel.
Forbidden texts that would be his downfall.
He swore they were not his, but the evidence was there.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 02:40:57 PM »

The third was the son of heiress.
He was handsom, wealthy, and strong.
A good man all around.
But darker things always become known.
A letter issued to those who hunt the wicked.
A letter calling him a traitor.
A traitors death revealing the beast within.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 04:01:54 PM »

It had only been a year since Dimitriu Istrate had been executed following the exposure of him being a werebat, and rebellion supporter. The woman paced her room clearly annoyed. Various objects from pillows, to books, to clothes were strewn about the room as she threw another bottle at the flying menace. "Why does this keep happening?!" She bellowed at the imp that dodged the bottle.

"What? Me dodging what you throw, or all the men you court dying?" It teased, garnering a gutteral growl from the woman. "I already told you. You don't need to marry into a family. Make your own path to fortune."

She sighed and shook her head. "I'm a woman. I should of been married years ago! But you kept stopping it from happening. Mother thinks she's had terrible choices for me."

"And?" The imp gestured its hand to show it's lack of care.

"And? And?! She's worried sick, and she can't work. If you keep screwing things up she'll end up in Zarcroft too! Then who's going to continue to teach me the weave?"

The imp rolled its eyes and snickered. "That's not where your magic comes from." it teased in a sing song voice. Whack! A pillow collided with its face, causing the imp to get thrown into the open closet, a few words and motions later and the door was closed.

"You're a lying demon. Stay in there and be quiet, I've got to go pick up mothers medicine."
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 06:57:24 PM »

It was her mothers remedy book, of course it contained a little more than just herbal remedies and medical cures.

She held the book open with one hand and prepared the ingredients, they were simple enough and her mother had taught her well. Something shifted in her corner view.

"What did you just do?!" she snatched the imp by its tail.

"I just added the water for you." She eyed the creature suspiciously, and sniffed the contents of the bowel.

She couldn't smell anything suspicious about the concoction, so she added the final ingredient for her mothers medicine.

Their funds were getting low, and Narcissa lacked her mothers skill and knowledge with remedies.

She would have to resort to leaving her comfort zone, and stepping outside of the world of upper middle class, and into the world outside the walls of the city of Vallaki.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 05:21:11 PM »

Despite following her instructions, and even her direct guidance her health continues to decline. I am going to need to get more potent medicines for her. I haven't enough fang to buy them, and to work in Vallaki would take too long.
I'll be safe, I'll wear a mask so my face can't be seen, and I will go by a different name. Maybe I can get over my fear of associating with outlanders and follow them somewhere. It will be the quickest way to get the money I need for mothers medicine.
Outlanders wont care that I am a witch. They consort with witches and fiends all the time. Besides, they will need help, and while I know Hala wants us to do no harm, I can still help without hurting people. Is it against things to aid in causing harm? I guess if I only go to unnatural places it should be alright. Who knows, maybe I will find someone who can teach me more about the weave.
Maybe I can learn how to get rid of this flying rat.
It has been a while since Papa sent any care packages, or letters. Mother used to say he would slink away once a month for a night. She thought maybe he was vistani, but the nights were not consistant with the moons cycle. If she found out, she kept it secret. I know he left to fight, but I don't know if he survived the war. It was terrible, so much loss on either side. Mother was very busy helping Barovian soldiers and outlanders who were injured, I helped some too. I learned to stitch a wound, and how to apply a salve. I saw much tragedy.
But today, mother is worse, so I have to go out of the town and make some fang.

Narcissa Bogdan
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 06:28:10 PM »

Who would of believed the rumours could be true! Outlanders really are rich!
I sold a single flower head for 40 fang. I'm going to use it to hire a nurse to look after her while I go out and... Hm, I guess pick more plants to sell.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 06:45:51 PM »
I can't stand the sound of the bats that flap their wings anymore. I haven't been able to for a few years now. I wake up from nightmares screaming as in the dreams swarms of bats attack and encircle me. Just like that night. I was never fond of bats before they always sort of scared me, but now they are terrifying. How can I know if one is a werebat or just a normal bat? What about those giant ones I've heard about from outlanders talking. I get goosebumps and shivers just thinking about those airborn rats. I don't like being outside at night because of bats. Mother and papa used to take me outside when I was little at nighttime. We'd go for walks under the moonless sky and enjoy the stars that speckled the blackness.

Now I'm sitting in the broken bell, the nurse I hired is going to be with mother for a few days while I try to get the coin needed to ensure her continued care. Doctors still aren't sure what is causing her to be weak like this, but at least I can get her care. Papa hasn't sent a letter in a few months, even though I sent him one about Mothers sickness. I guess he can't safely return here yet. Or he would be here. I know that for sure. He would always tell me about the dream of a place where Gundarakites didn't get treated so badly, where we wouldn't have to put all the focus on my mother, hiding my half Gundarakite status from the world.

The imp keeps teasing me saying that the magic isn't from the weave but something darker. Even if it is, magic is neutral. It can be used for good or for bad, right? Mother hasn't been well enough to teach me much. I know that the magic I can harness so easily must be used to help people, to alleviate their suffering and agony. But there is a nagging thought in the back of my head, questions about the imp that came to me one night, about the truth behind my magic. Father wouldn't ever discuss his family, he said they were dead and it was best to let the dead rest as they have earned it.

Narcissa Bogdan
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 04:07:46 PM »
The following is writtin in a shaking hand:

That was terrifying. What if fey can turn into wolves? What if it wasn't a wolf? I mean it happened so fast. I remember the searing hot pain of what I think were claws, but they could of been fangs. But that elf with those bloodied claws... If I had used the imp to make me hidden from sight maybe I wouldn't of died. But then I wouldn't of met that nice garda. He gave me 200 fang like it was nothing. What a kind man. But I know that it would be different if the truth was known. I'm a witch with a Gundarakite rebel for a father.

I am sitting in the fishing lodge in a rented room. It would of been too close to dark when I got back if I took the ferry, so I figured I'd stay here, wash my dress, try to get the blood stains out and fix it. I know that fey kept more of my fang than he returned to me, but... What can I do about it. Maybe he needed it for something?

I bought a dagger. I don't know how to use it to fight, but it can't be that different from cutting up meat, right?

Maybe this wasn't the best idea.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 08:18:48 PM by ladylena »
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 11:47:12 AM »

Despite the terrifying encounter two days ago, last night went better than other days. I met an outlander who was actually pretty kind and she offered to help me make more fang. I can't fight, but I can at least offer a bit of protection from harm for her and her friend.

I also met an older Gundarakite man called Orvan. He seemed nice and I hope he has good fortune in life. And I met a Lamordian too! He doesn't believe in magic, but is willing to believe in what he can see. Maybe things wont be so difficult after all.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 03:19:32 PM »

I've secured enough funds to make sure that mother recieves good care. I am going to have to search outside of Vallaki for aid for her. She barely stays awake anymore. It's as if the medicines I had been preparing for her have had the opposite effect. The imp says that it's because they weren't really trying to help her. He seems convinced that somehow they know that she married a Gundarakite rebel. I don't know that I believe the imp, then again... I have been more hrm.. Open to using the imps ability to conceal me. Surely that wont have an influence on me, right?

I've seen some fliers for medical assistant in Vallaki, but I think the person behind it is an outlander. Anyone calling themselves Yahtzee must be. I also heard of another, the hospice in the slums... Maybe I will look there and see if they can teach me. I've not really had any luck finding any witches of Hala here, but I knew it would be difficult. Still, what if the imp isn't lying?

I have this vague memory of papa screaming at someone, and I'm pretty sure that the name he used was Eros, which is what the imp says is its name. When I was younger I thought he was just angry, like how he'd tell demons to take someone troublesome. Perhaps, no. No. I'll figure this out in time. I can't dare let the imp know I suspect anything. Then again that winged rat is nosy.  If I could learn how to conceal myself I wouldn't have to rely on him.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 07:33:02 PM »

"It is wonderful to see you starting to accept my aid Narcissa."
"Shut up. You're going to ruin everything."
"Oh? Am I? You met another who has a companion like me."
"So? He's not a Barovian now is he?"
"Still doing what your mother wants, hm?"
"Of course! I -want- that too."
"Oh I don't think you do. You've tasted power, you've felt what it's like when new magic comes to you."
"I don't want to talk about it. It is the weave that I access, that's what mother always told me."
"What about your father hm? Ever ask him?"
"Well.. No... I suppose I could send him a letter and hope it reaches him... But what would I even ask?"
"You know what you need to ask. Such a simple question: Why was I born with magic. Maybe you'll learn something."
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 06:40:02 PM »

I didn't think. I just acted. I just revealed myself. My magic.

They were outlanders, and it was night. They were in trouble, fighting some monsters from the mists... And the eerie darkness... And all the bats flying around. I didn't think I just acted. Maybe... Maybe it isn't so bad. Maybe as long as I don't flaunt it I will be fine.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 06:57:26 PM »

She called the imp my guardian. That oddly matches what the imp says. Eros keeps claiming that he empowers me and protects me. But ever since he showed up it seems like the people I love have tragedies befall them. Even mother isn't free from this. It could be the price of the magic that runs in my veins? Or pure coincidence?

Even if Eros is a flying rat and imp maybe he's not evil... Maybe I am just judging him based on his appearance. He hasn't harmed me and I haven't seen him harm anyone. Infact all he has done is protect me. By doing that he's allowed me to let my powers grow. At the same time I've taken up weaving to better understand how to weave the threads that create magic. I need to find more followers of Hala. Maybe they may know how to help my mother. The doctors aren't sure what's wrong with her. I come home daily now to make sure that she's alright and spend time at her bedside. I've let the nurse and doctor know how to find me when I am out, if she takes a turn for the worse. I hope that day does not come.

A letter is handed off under the cover of darkness and passes many hands before hopefully reaching the intended recipient:

[This is writen in Luktar]

Papa,

Mother is ill and the doctors are unsure what to do or what could be causing it. She spend most of the time asleep and the worry is she may slip into a permanent sleep or die. I know you are busy, and that this is a risk in and of itself but I promised you if something happened to reach out. I just hope that you're alive and well when you get this letter. I hope you are making progress in your cause.

Your loving daughter,
Narcissa.

P.S. Do you know the name Eros?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2022, 08:44:59 PM »

"How about you don't mess around with things you don't understand."

Those are some wise words and if I wasn't certain that there was a connection between Eros and my father I'd let it be. I want to know more about this imp and try to figure out why it picked me. Was it sent to me? How truthful is it? Are these things liars? I have a lot of questions, but I guess I will have to continue looking. While I learned of a possible connection with my fathers bloodline, that being Gundarakite, I still don't know enough. I'll have to hope that maybe father will respond and answer.

I'm going to look around for some knowledgeable healers or practitioners, maybe they can help to determin what is plaguing my mother and stealing her strength. I have to be open to the possibility that what has befallen her is not natural, it could be a curse or some magic at play. I don't understand the weave very well, but I know there are consequences for misusing it.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2022, 06:39:07 PM »

I met someone who can introduce me to another Halan. Finally. I hope I can learn from them, maybe mothers illness stems from a misuse of the weave.
I also met an incredibly generous and kind outlander. Mother wouldn't be overly pleased to know the amount of outlanders I'm with, but Papa would be proud of me for doing so. He always knew they would be helpful. Guess that's because so many of them helped the rebellion over the years.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2022, 04:04:51 PM »

I've been thinking. That outlander who told me about imp venom, I had never noticed it or even considered it but Eros has a stinger. I've never seen it fight, nor do I know if it can. But, what if the creature has been poisoning my mother? Could it be responsible for other things? I really don't know, everything is speculation. Maybe she caught some strange disease that laid dorment from the outlanders we tended. Maybe she misused the weave and this is the result.

However, no matter how long I am gone for, she doesn't improve, which means it may not be the imp, or whatever Eros is. If I am going to reach out to another beyond the local doctors and healers, I will need to compile a list of her symptoms for them. She's too ill to move and she does not trust outlanders very much. I fear I am going to have to make Eros fight for me so I can see if he has any venom or poison. But doing that contains some hefty risks.

Maybe my best bet would be to try to find these other Halans and leave the outlanders to a final straw if no one in the core can help.

The nurses tell me that she has been running a mild fever that they have been able to control. I wish I knew what was wrong with her, if it is misuse of the weave, what does that mean? If it's the imp, how do I get rid of it without hurting myself? If it's a curse, how do I break it?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2022, 06:51:05 PM »

I have watched the way the sister I met weaves her magic. The patterns are not the same as the ones that I can see and use. And again the same with the other sister who has a connection with animals.

The Night Mother seems to know a lot, perhaps she wiill be able to guide me. Perhaps this is the difference in being born naturally able to use the weave. Or maybe the imp is right. Maybe it's not from the weave. I'm still not ready to face that possibility. Meanwhile mother has been asleep for two days now...
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
OOC Information
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 12:43:23 PM »
Narcissa Bogdan OOC info
The following is purely OOC information
Spoiler: show

Fears:

Being found out she's half Gundarakite
Being ousted as a sorceress/witch
Her magic being evil in source
Bats, especially werebats

Dislikes:

Going/being outside at night because of the bats
Seeing people suffering
Killing sentient living things
Gossip

Spiders
Weaving
Learning
Legends
The colour Green and light blue
Learning about Hala
Helping people

Goals:

To understand her magic
Become a proper sister of Hala
Find out what is wrong with her mother and heal her

Dreams:

Join the garda
Aid Gundarakites
Learn to fight

Assassin imps goal:

Corrupt Narcissa
Get her to abuse the weave
Serve the Dark Powers
Protect Narcissa to the extreme
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2022, 07:51:46 PM »

Domn Artyom thinks it may be a Quasit causing my mothers illness. Considering the flying creature she saw it's possible... However a native from richmulois who's a sister is willing to help too. I know Domn Artyom means well, but mother doesn't trust outlanders, and since I don't know what it's like in his home, it could be entirely different from ours. The sister I spoke with is a very skilled herbalist, so if there is any plant that can help, she is likely to know better than the healers and doctors in Vallaki. Not that they aren't skilled, it's simply they are not as well travelled. There could be a plant in another domain that could cure her.

I will need to take the time to clean the house and make sure that imp stays hidden, maybe even locked up. I know mother will be willing to accept help from the sisters, and I'm glad I finally found one who seems willing to help. I just hope that it's not what she said... I don't know what it will mean or how I'll be able to handle it if mother becomes a hag. I had never even thought of that possibility.... Or not wanted to accept it...

I'm scared.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2022, 02:50:26 PM »
Dear Narcissa,

You took a huge risk in sending that letter and as am I in sending this. If you have not already, seek out the Halans. Your mother and them had a falling out years ago when we wed, however, they are unlikely to deny her aid. Though it may take a little bit of time if they have to discuss what to do. I will try to come home if it's safe for me to do so. Please continue to take care of your mother.

I love you,
Papa
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 03:47:17 PM »

Mother woke up today, however it was not for long but it was long enough for her to eat and take the medicine the doctors have given her.
I picked up a book on the humours in hopes that I can understand enough of it to maybe help her if it's something naturally occuring. I'm just afraid that Eros may be lying to me. Though I really have no reason to believe that feeling, but it is there. The Night Mother I think tried to set me up with Mr. De Corvis, he seems like a nice man, but he's from Borca and in with the vardo. On the other hand, I am afraid that if I try to find some love, then the little bastard ... I don't have proof, but I have a instinctual feeling.

I've been thinking that maybe since there doesn't seem to be a need for weavers, I may try to start tailoring too. There seems to be a good demand for that. I've spent the last couple of nights with mother at her bedside. She does breathe, and her heart does beat. I should find sister Fallieres and see if she has been able to secure the antidote she thinks will help. She isn't from the local group of witches so perhaps she wont be coloured by whatever caused the fallout between her and them. Perhaps that is why she refused to teach me much beyond the basics. I know the legend, I know about the weave in basics, and I know that we should strive to keep on the path of least suffering.

Mother wants me to have a normal life, to get married to a good Barovian family, ensure that I have a good life. I know Papa wants to see a world where being Gundarakite, or Barovian does not matter and where Barovians are forced to pay for the atrocities they've done. I'm not sure I agree with him that they need to pay, but they do need to be held accountable.

I met a young Gundarakite who lied about her name to the garda and was badly beaten. I was able to be permitted to tend to her, the other Halan - at least I think she was- was a little slow to react despite being closer. I even offered to employ her to help me get weaving fibers. That way the Garda can't get mad at her for not having a job. It wasn't very smart to lie to the garda, and I hope that employing her does not backfire on me.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2022, 01:29:30 PM »

Eros urged me to watch and go in. I did, and what I saw is going to be visiting me in my nightmares for a while. The Black Duke in a circle of corpses, the people stamping the flag posts into the ground. That thudding, the smell. Oh the smell of blood and viscera. Why couldn't I look away? Why did I stay when I should of fled?

Then that woman blaming me... I was frozen in place. And even if I had fled and gone to the outskirts for aid all that would of done would of been to add to the suffering that was already on going. I bore witness to it all, I did not interfere except to tend to the man whose hand they removed. It's not my place to stop people or judge them. It's my duty as a sister of Hala to tend to the path of least suffering. Had I brought more people they would of been harmed by the devil and its crew. They proved to be quite powerful and capable.

That was a terrifying scene. How can such a powerful entity be stopped? Should it be stopped? I need to find the night mother and ask her to teach me what my own mother is unable to. On the other hand, if this thing can help Gundarakites... What side do I take? Should I even take a side?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan