Author Topic: Increased Adamantine Drops  (Read 3627 times)

myrddraal

• Dark Lord
Re: Increased Adamantine Drops
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2022, 01:31:20 PM »
I dont like the idea of loot boxes because it will 100% turn it into a super controlled market.  A handful of people will lock down whatever dungeon it drops in and raise the price to an insane level, despite likely not even needing the coin for anything on the server.  Something I do enjoy is the idea of it being rewarded for events.  Most of the tournaments reward a bar or two, but they are likely pre farmed by players and not given out by DMs.  I'd love if rare metals like adamantine, green steel, etc, were dolled out every once in a while when a DM does decide to start having fun in a dungeon or as rewards for plot events from some "high power npc."

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2022, 01:37:45 PM »
Why does it have to be just one dungeon? Or even completely replace the classic meteorite grind?

Difficulty's not a factor, nor is forming a group for this, nor is RPing around the crafting, if the other posts are read.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2022, 01:50:47 PM »
Why does it have to be just one dungeon? Or even completely replace the classic meteorite grind?

Difficulty's not a factor, nor is forming a group for this, nor is RPing around the crafting, if the other posts are read.

A group of 4 mid to high-level players figure out what time spawns are at their highest and run and farm most if not all high-level dungeons. I do think giving out rare metals as a reward for events or DM-run dungeons is a good idea and I don't see why we would have to get rid of the Perfidus farming method if loot boxes were introduced.

The market is already controlled anyhow by specific classes and people who have the time and patience to farm the adamantine.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2022, 03:16:12 PM »

Because it is the one place where it is logical to have a constant shower of falling stars. It thematically reproduces the constant rain of fireball of Baator's first layer. There is nowhere else in the module where it would make sense to reproduce the system.

We could come up with an alternative system to provide adamantine elsewhere of course, but that too comes with its own problems. On the mechanical side of things, that would be using server resources to duplicate something that already exists. This is never recommended on an aged system where server resources management is a requirement. I wholeheartedly agree here that in this case it would likely have a mild impact if at all on server performances, but I would not add such system unless there is an absolute need for it.

On the balance side of things, more ways to acquire adamantine also means more adamantine circulating in game. The dev team is unanimous in that we have quite enough adamantine as is already. Granted adding an alternative system might be balanced by reducing further the probability that a given meteor or whatever alternative system there is actually produces adamantine, but then that would just worsen the grind. Something we want to avoid as well.

We actually discussed it at great length on the dev side. We came to the consensus that the best thing to do is to keep the system as is.

Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2022, 03:48:45 PM »
Personally I would have been fine with a mild impact, I didn't think a big change was needed. I was also posting under the assumption that adamantine would be added to rare loot across the module in the more difficult dungeons, around Perfidus's level or tougher, not just put in the end chests for Perfidus's temple.

I think it'll be fine anyway, the new metals providing alternatives are probably going to be the target for most players once they learn about it.

zDark Shadowz

• Dark Lord
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2022, 05:23:23 PM »
Adamantine from meteorites or cyrite from a loot drop is the difference between countable chance and uncountable chance. I can work out the average for the former, the latter who knows if I will ever see it from wherever based on my timezone and other peoples schedules, or if the chests I open even have it in their tables, or if they do, if the value of the chest or enemy is high enough to make it drop or not. (I've not seen good loot from hags in a long, long while :(  )

Wish I could tell when i've looked in a chest too recently so I wasn't ruining loot chances for parties by triggering anti-ninjalooting scripts that may be firing because the right conditions for resetting were never met properly, or I was flagged for it because too many enemies had run away before I opened the chest, or whatever the case is.

Must really be killing the metal chances.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 05:56:53 PM by zDark Shadowz »

FunkeyMonkey

• Outlander
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2022, 02:46:30 AM »
It ain't broke, don't fix.
The challenge rating fits the reward. No need to nerf the product or the system.

I do like the idea or other rare material drops or harvest points, as they are rare there should be no abundance or ease of obtaining. It just devalues the whole system.
Dungeon drops or DM hand outs can mean camped dungeons or wayward accusations of favouritsm.

If you want addy, put a post out to find people that will help you. Plenty of folk looking for it.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2022, 10:44:33 AM »
Speaking of camped dungeons and accusations of favouritism, I still remember when I was farming it and there were complaints back then about the "adamantine elite." Given there's only really room for one party at a time, it's kind of inevitable, even with the increased danger now, that some form of "camping" is going on. At least with a dungeon you get your loot and you leave.

I still think maybe Perfidus could be expanded so that the range for hunting adamantine is increased. I just find it a little bizarre this whole thing happens in one moderate sized map. Having to really go out and look for it might be a little more interesting. I don't want a nerf to the fiends or a buff to the drop chance half as much as I appreciate things getting shaken up for the fun of it. Less certainty and more adventure.

But then again, it's such an established area that maybe it'll just be better to look forward to new locales entirely for that kind of thing, as far as rare harvests go.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2022, 01:14:49 PM »
You guys think it's wild now, I still remember when Adamantine was first added to the server.  We would regularly sell the ore for 80,000 gold a pop and farm it daily.

I think things are alright currently.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2022, 08:54:49 PM »
Speaking of camped dungeons and accusations of favouritism, I still remember when I was farming it and there were complaints back then about the "adamantine elite." Given there's only really room for one party at a time, it's kind of inevitable, even with the increased danger now, that some form of "camping" is going on. At least with a dungeon you get your loot and you leave.

I still think maybe Perfidus could be expanded so that the range for hunting adamantine is increased. I just find it a little bizarre this whole thing happens in one moderate sized map. Having to really go out and look for it might be a little more interesting. I don't want a nerf to the fiends or a buff to the drop chance half as much as I appreciate things getting shaken up for the fun of it. Less certainty and more adventure.

But then again, it's such an established area that maybe it'll just be better to look forward to new locales entirely for that kind of thing, as far as rare harvests go.

I think the roaming helps accomplish this. Would be kind of terrifying if there was a rolling mist that had a low chance to appear that dispelled the area  :lol:

FunkeyMonkey

• Outlander
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2023, 02:25:04 AM »
The cave should get respawned as well, no area may be safe!

As Perfidus is one of the main destinations in the mist, have it so that while the sandy/cave area are occupied the mists have more chance of changing? More chance of reinforcements getting lost, if a group is chased out the mists might well change. This would reduce camping I guess

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 02:27:55 AM by FunkeyMonkey »

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2023, 07:50:53 AM »
From the perspective of a bystander who is not engaged in actively gathering adamantine, nor actively seeking out smiths to commission for items made of it; I've seen Adamantine make it's way to the Outskirts of all places, for prices that a fresh level 2 can reasonably attain within a couple days of effort.

A coveted metal, solely sourced from falling stars landing within a hellish realm of extraplanar entities imprisoned in a permanent miniature portrayal of the Blood War, is being sold in the Outskirts. At this point, the availability of the material is ubiquitous enough that I can't imagine adding more would do anything other than serve to further drive down prices and create a market surplus, leading to the same state of affairs for low-mid range crafted goods, but for Adamantine. Vendors sitting in the Outskirts trying to sell off their half a dozen Adamantine Shields, struggling to find someone to buy one for five thousand gold, because supply and demand has cut the legs out of the market.

To players, I'm sure this is an appealing state of affairs, because who wouldn't want to kit out all their new characters with far better equipment? For server health, I perceive it as poisoning the well; a vast amount of the treasury drops are already invalidated without further edging out the few useful items due to ubiquitous availability of adamantine.

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2023, 09:00:19 AM »
From the perspective of a bystander who is not engaged in actively gathering adamantine, nor actively seeking out smiths to commission for items made of it; I've seen Adamantine make it's way to the Outskirts of all places, for prices that a fresh level 2 can reasonably attain within a couple days of effort.

A coveted metal, solely sourced from falling stars landing within a hellish realm of extraplanar entities imprisoned in a permanent miniature portrayal of the Blood War, is being sold in the Outskirts. At this point, the availability of the material is ubiquitous enough that I can't imagine adding more would do anything other than serve to further drive down prices and create a market surplus, leading to the same state of affairs for low-mid range crafted goods, but for Adamantine. Vendors sitting in the Outskirts trying to sell off their half a dozen Adamantine Shields, struggling to find someone to buy one for five thousand gold, because supply and demand has cut the legs out of the market.

To players, I'm sure this is an appealing state of affairs, because who wouldn't want to kit out all their new characters with far better equipment? For server health, I perceive it as poisoning the well; a vast amount of the treasury drops are already invalidated without further edging out the few useful items due to ubiquitous availability of adamantine.

Last I checked, adamantine is about 50k-80k an ingot. I assume what your are probably seeing in the outskirts are failed experiments that people are trying to make a little bit of coin from. Also things like cyrite and dragon scales have been found in the Vallaki area which are even more rare, more expensive and more sought after than adamantine.

Basically I say all this to say that the drops are fine and the market is fine.