Suggestions, Feedback & Bug Reports (OOC) > Module Feedback and Suggestions

Increased Adamantine Drops

(1/18) > >>

Dardonas:
I suggested this partially a while back, but it got lost in a larger debate and under other things I had mentioned. 

Plain and simple: Adamantine is currently too RNG to achieve.  I believe the system is a 5% chance per meteorite to be an adamantine meteor.  The amount of planning and time that goes into this is incredibly high, especially with the changes to Perfidus.  The system currently encourages players to play PotM like an MMO, except in those games the grind feels a lot more manageable as the entire systems are built around it.  PotM already takes days of real time game investment to get your smithing up to where you can craft it.  It takes months of progress to enchant your gear.  This would make it just a little bit easier by negating the grind just a tiny bit.

Perhaps it was fine back in the day for older players, but that was before Perfidus became as difficult as it is with the roaming groups of pit fiends so for people who may suggest that it should be hard—please try obtaining adamantine in the current iteration before commenting.

I suggest that Adamantine be raised to a 25% chance, that way it properly rewards players who spend hours going through Perfidus to get meteorites.  As it stands, you can go to Perfidus and come back with thirty meteors between your party of 5-30 people and only get one adamantine ingot between the lot of you.

Here is a breakdown of the current gearing system for adamantine armor and weapons:
- Optional: Grind 24-48 hours of actual playtime to get your smelting for adamantine
- Optional: Grind 24-48 hours of actual playtime to get your smithing for adamantine
- Optional: Grind 24-48 hours of actual playtime to get your hide curing to where you can obtain the useful leather patches
- Form a group for Perfidus
- Search for Perfidus for upwards of 15-30 minutes
- Get your group to Perfidus without the mists shifting
- Gather 10-15 meteors within an hour.
- Get 1 adamantine ingot and discuss the one person who gets it among your group
- Repeat 4-7 times per person who needs armor and weapons made of adamantine
- Spend 1-2 months of experience gained to enchant the adamantine equipment

Skelni:
I'd say a smaller increase first, just to see how the waters are after an increase of any at all. It is suppose to be this absurd metal from the heavens and stuff. Having it drop like cupcakes kind of downplays it's price and 'supposed' rareness.

But ultimately yes, I agree. It shouldn't be a grind to get it. That goes for any resource.

ladylena:
Perfidus has always had fiends roaming in it. Maybe if the dev team deemed it was needed it could be bumped to 10? But I dont see an issue with the rarity of it. Making it more abundant seems like it may be detrimental to the setting of ravenloft

Dardonas:

--- Quote from: ladylena on June 19, 2022, 08:45:51 PM ---Perfidus has always had fiends roaming in it. Maybe if the dev team deemed it was needed it could be bumped to 10? But I dont see an issue with the rarity of it. Making it more abundant seems like it may be detrimental to the setting of ravenloft

--- End quote ---

Nope, something was changed within the past year or so to be much more dangerous for people to solo-farm adamantine and it was that they added Dogai and a roaming group of pit fiends.  Sure, people shouldn't be trivializing fiends in the setting.  That does not mean it should take me weeks and weeks and weeks to finally get adamantine.

Chabxxu:
The biggest problem I see with Adamantine is that it's the only metal that allows someone to get higher AC and AB when enchanted. That means (almost) everyone will want to use that metal for their weapon and armor as it is what will give you the biggest benefit when you enchant them. When you spend hours and hours and hours dungeoning and roleplaying to get some XP, it's pretty normal to want that xp to go towards what makes your character as strong as possible.

The influx of gold in player's pockets and the rarity of ingots have made their value skyrocket. Paying half a million gold to get a piece of armor is simply crazy. I agree with Dardonas that it feels like an MMO grind to actually get to those amount and be able to afford anything.

What I'd suggest is either to bring all enchanted metal to the same value as adamantine, or lowering enchanted adamantine AC value to those of the other type of metals. Those who then would seek out adamantine would do it for the other properties given by the metal instead of the bonus AC/AB received by enchanting it. If something like this was to happen, I expect we'd see way more of the other type of metals being used as people would be able to decide which sidestat they prefer instead of the metal that gives the best flat AC.

PS: Someone pointed it to me that the AC is the same, and that only AB on weapons change. Sorry about the mistaken info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version