You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Josefka's Badtime Barbershop  (Read 959 times)

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
  • "Maudlyn" Argali Dupont, Lazula Zhuelke, and more
Josefka's Badtime Barbershop
« on: June 10, 2022, 07:48:07 PM »
To Make Amens
Tales of lvl 3
Quote from: The following letter is dated: Juin 6, 777. It is addressed to the body of the Christ Church of Vallaki. The handwriting is neat, sized to the message length and parchment dimensions... clearly it was intelligently designed.

I Josefka, have been busy tending to my brother Ailred's fugue condition. I have otherwise been keeping the house clean and in as much order as I can muster. Yesterday I went outside, for I have not been outside of the warehouse district in over a week. I met many strange faeries (which is not so strange here) and decided I would take the offer of a pair of faerie knights to see the affliction of this world, so that I might be able to learn how to heal it.

Instead... after passing into the shadow of the valley of death with harrowing success, having to fend off feral, yowling beasts and swarming evil dead- we ascended some stairs leading into a foul, mist-cursed tomb. We needed not delve very deep to encounter such a foe that ended our incursion.

I spent all what healing items I had afforded.. and it was not enough! We fled... but Selwynn fell... and Patanna had to flee- leaving me alone in that place with not but the Lord and my faith...

Selwynn bled and I had not to staunch the flow from the allotment of his wounds. I prayed, I prayed, I prayed.

Spoiler: show

His wounds seeped slowly through my novice skills. I went so far as to try and manifest a miracle through my hands like some others I have known... but the Lord was silent until....

Selwynn recovered... but our troubles were not over, yet...

Following his lead, we sought to escape, but instead found Patanna fallen, and the Death Shadow waiting at the pass. It chased Selwynn- now leaving me with a dying Patanna instead! Again- exactly like Selwynn.. I had not but prayer, and my fading vitality.

With Patanna recovered... I led the way through the shadow with my candle that refused to die by the rain. No sooner than we had exited the pass, into the wood- I was ambushed by that Shadow of Death and... I remember little thence.

I was wounded, but healed by Patanna... I've never felt such grievous malady. By then, my strength had waned, and I admit I was good for little but weeping. It had been a full day now I'd been in the rain, mud, and viscera- I lose track of whose was what... All I knew was, my brother Ailred would be... sick! I needed to return home.

We camped there in the wood until morning came. Patanna gifted me with over a thousand golden crowns! (upon counting, exactly 1,200)  I've never held so much. And even then, leaving during the day was so little better! Patanna again fell against a nephilim of the old flood! Its gigantic remnants lumbered from some grave mound and it howled so terribly Patanna was gripped by dark magic! Thankfully.. Selwynn was able to dispatch the nephilim while it chased me. If it had taken much longer, I would be dead.

Returning after camp.. we encountered Prelate Vandryn, Brother Michael, and a slew of others I am not familiar with.

I recount this so that.. maybe you can teach me something of this world. I am a healer not a warrior. I tend to anything that may be broken or lost. Such is my one and only talent... Lord may it never be lost, broken, or buried. I must learn. I will learn. And you will help me! So help me God.

Now with a nights rest I can send this letter. Hoping it may see you to better vantages, and serve for edification of the spirit in that: if I might, then you must!

Go with the full blessing of God,
returning with or without it,
back into the kiln,
to be tempered anew,
until death has lost its savor.

Josefka of New England on the Black Sea

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
Re: Josefka's Badtime Barbershop
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 04:53:25 AM »

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 08:31:13 PM »
Homecoming
Tales of lvl 4

Brethren... please listen,

This morning, as I was up early, attending chores, my brother Ailred and I stopped for a moment of breakfast when there was a knock at the door. It was very early, before dawn, so I had some trepidation from the onset, as did Ailred. Inquiring at the door, we received eerie silence amid the heavy rain until a whisper, begging to be let in. Upon expressing our distrust given the circumstances, the thing grew violent- whereupon I declared the blood of Christ on it- which enraged it.

It threatened to seek to claim "Christian blood"...

Then it climbed over our ceiling.. and attempted to enter from the roof, damaging a board in the process... all I could do was pray- as Ailred drew a sword to protect me. Given to the hour, the prayer, or a host of angels unseen- the creature left. It did say to "let us in" lending me to believe there were a number of these demons...

We need to speak as one, and soon... Ailred and I are attending prayers and supplications, please send word. We are in danger here!

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 06:34:56 AM »
The Seed of Abraham
Interlude

Since being lost at sea, and arriving in this misted realm, I have encountered many strange creatures and peculiar events. Of all the things I have experienced though, the idolatry is most significant here. The people do not see what they have been fooled into - and still they are proud of their ignorance. Even violently. It is embarrassing, but still I pray for their salvation.

It brings to mind the cults to Baals and Asherahs throughout the history of my earth. False gods with no breath of life: only killing, stealing, and destroying. I see many such cult behaviors in this land now. Baals are often depicted as a great bull, and the worship often centered around his mighty form and fertility. It is often described as 'prostituting' to Baal, or other such idols- becoming full of the filth and uncleanliness of their fornications. Asherahs were female idols.

Yet they would not listen to their judges, but they played the harlot with other gods, and bowed down to them. They turned quickly from the way in which their fathers walked, in obeying the commandments of the Lord; they did not do so.

There are many of these cultists, in the courts of kings and queens no less, but there is nothing to fear from the false workers. In the bible lies the account of a true prophet of God, Elijah, challenging an entire court of Baal and Asherah cultists to a contest:

Whose God would strike their offering with fire from heaven?

The prophet Elijah gave them every advantage available, but since he was alone, he would go second. 850 cultists gathered (400 of Asherah, the rest of Baal) to make good the offering to their gods. But no fire would come. They danced, sang, and when that failed to work they began with their other ways- of cutting themselves and screaming like the possessed, and still no fire. The prophet could not help but mock them, until his turn came the next day. He set 12 stones, one for each of the tribes of Israel; God's people, and made an altar in the Lord's name atop the mountain. Then he told those gathered to collect 4 jugs of water, and pour it on the wood. He asked this three times. When all was set, he said:

"Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day You are God in Israel and I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your Word. Hear me, O Lord, hear me, that this people may know that You are the Lord God, and that You have turned their hearts back to You again."

Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood and the stones and the dust, and it licked up the water that was in the trench. And when the people saw it they fell on their faces; and they said, "The Lord, He is God! The Lord, He is God!" And Elijah said, "Seize the prophets of Baal! Do not let one of them escape!" And every one was put to the sword. I do not believe any number would have changed their fate.

That was the Old Testament, but we are bound by the law of the New Testament, and so are called to peace...

A snake can shed their skin, but never escape their sin. For their is no repentance without the shedding of blood. This is a law of the Old Testament, but Jesus shed His divine blood to cover for our sins and create a New Law; in that if we but believe in His name, we are inheritors of His salvation. We are covered by His blood, with eternal life. We yet suffer scoffing and mockery and abuse, but we are forewarned of such things. We are ready- for what harm is iron to steel?

So be of good cheer, and make better your offering. I expect fire.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:16:03 AM by Mailbox-2100 »

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 06:40:41 AM »
Blue Eyes, White Dragon
Tales of

Josefka considered the shores of the ocean she presently faced. The waters lapped and rolled away, leaving or taking presents in their procession. Her mind was drawn to her homeworld, Earth, where she and her brother Ailred were taken by the mists, sailing home from the captive she had been taken by Turkish pirates. Her brother had left his peaceful monastery life to liberate her, along with a retinue of other brave English men. In those few months, she was taken for a wife by a Turk, and even came to love him in a way she couldn't describe through the shame she felt when she thought of the other, less fortunate captives- and her station back home- a virgin, a daughter... a Christian.

She and her brother never made it back from the struggle that claimed her husband and his pirates- a storm savaged the seas, and a mist swallowed the damaged vessels, dashing them to pieces over the Black Sea... She could only think of the pregnancy she aborted on route home, was this punishment? She felt a deep, sharp shame, lost in the churning depths of memory. She could never justify it, only live with it, and carry on where she may. Was this purgatory? This alien world, full of faeries and unclean spirits, cursing the land and so many of its denizens.

Magic flourished and warped the natural world in miraculous ways that seemed taken for granted; whereas she couldn't channel such things no matter how hard she tried. And she tried very hard, indeed. Now she stood upon the distant, bleak shores of Lamordia, dreaming of dragons she had never seen- but for their bones.

Here she would study among the apothecary and alienist, that she might lend her hands in the work to come. And the easing of those many souls lost to affliction- like her reflection in the cold black sea.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 04:24:34 PM by Mailbox-2100 »

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 04:36:40 PM »
The Sacred World
Tales of

Dear brother,
I think what I have come to find foremost in my reflection here, is how far from home we have really been all along.

When I have this time away to think about things, without the pressure of it all weighing atop me, I can understand what that weight was to begin with. You see, I have not felt welcome, wanted, or needed anywhere since I was taken from home in the raid. I was made to doubt my own self-worth. This was only compounded by arriving here, on the shores of this world. So many possess such awesome powers and abilities, but not us.

I feel in many ways a burden to you, Ailred. I know I have caretaken you to self-sufficiency since your arrival was plagued with a fogginess, but now you are well again- only I sense not entirely. You haven't seemed yourself since killing in my name. I know it eats you from within, but maybe you have trouble even looking at yourself clearly these days; as do I. We are Christian in a world with demonstrable gods. The magic and illusion of this world are self-evident, and perhaps it has cowed us to a degree of submission, but what for, Ailred? It has only placed a veil over our eyes, to blind us as we have been, from the truth. The truth is, we are more powerful than we give ourselves credit for. We have The Living God on our side, who then can be against us? Our sin has been vanity, Ailred... pure creature fears and hungers. It is natural, but... I would further rather die than go back to that darkness. The darkness without the Lord. What is there to fear, but the truth that we are everything we will ever need to be in Christ. I've long felt the need for some great ability or accomplishment to establish a reputation among our peers, so much so I no longer have any... I felt the need to cover for my failings, for my sins, but in Christ I am free from such ego, and personal pride. I can finally remember to let go, and to live on, and see those who cannot all around me, lost in their own vices. The devil is alive, Ailred, just as our Lord is. He is why we have been afraid to see, let it be no longer.

I pray for us daily, and so I command you no less. If you love me pray for me. If you love Christ, do as He commands. Our body is our temple, that means we have final say, let no man remove us from God. When you fall short, like I do still, stand again. And again- And again! Until each stone is firmly in its place, and our comforter rides before us, with His tongue like a flaming sword, laying waste the legion of Şeytan at the battle of Armageddon (the final battle). I love and miss you, brother, please don't forget to write me.

Your sister, forged in blood and fire,
quenched in water and spirit,

Josefka

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 02:48:18 PM »
Oaths and Covenants
Tales of

Dear brother,
I pray things are well on your end. I am not angry in the least... honestly, I am struggling too. We inhabit the same world, so there is nothing strange between us. It is only natural I feel compelled to write you of how my studies go, let alone livelihood- considering you are all I have left of the old world: the one thing anchoring me to this dream. Were it not for you, (the idea of leaving you behind.) I should have fallen to some idol, cult or devil by now. They are numerous, aren't they. We are prisoners here. Its true. But to whom, I pray tell? Our Lord and Saviour: The Truth incarnate.

Wherefore art thou, brother of mine? Where hath gone your rod and staff? Do they go away from you, whence you hath need? Or do you keep them at hand for their appointment?

Hath you no need? Surely, rebuke the former.

My studies go well, I'm learning a lot, and more... its difficult to explain, but I'll do my best; for you.

-
How has the moon taken such insidious hue?
The moon is red and flows with blood,
a stillborn growth churns within
earthquakes, thunderstorms, giant waves
these are the birthpains, these are the beginning of sorrows.

the spirits are made manifest,
they increase in knowledge and travel to and fro
they grow cold, and haughty in their knowledge
they become haters of good, and lovers of pleasure
bearing false witness, delivering up their very neighbor for execution

The dragon breathes its mist, and all is confounded
it coils and wraps about the highest mountain, for all to see
they learn its tongue, forked and double minded- carnal
they inherit its fire, its venom, and they deal in death
but there is yet a shining knight, among brothers in arms

They keep the castle, its gates shining as their sheathed swords
latent with promise, hidden from the proud
lest they inherit its merit
From the moat lay the bridge, like a tongue issuing forth shining steeds,
with riders unlike the world has ever seen, or shall ever see again.

They ride to death, they ride to ruin,
they ride on a river of souls; a harvest without ceasing
they ride to the very ends of the earth and there is no rock that will keep them
no shadow or valley to be hidden
for the very darkness will speak against its children.
-

Won't you paint something for me? Like you used to? I have nothing left but memories, and they could use some company- they grow lonely without you. Otherwise, I'm making friends here, and... well, maybe I am shy but no less focused on what needs to be. My vocations are improving under some brilliant and blessed teachers. The enemy is everywhere, but I have power over them, as it is written. Even so, I rejoice not that the spirits are subject to me, but rather that my name is written in the book of heaven!

Onto the house, please share my regards, and my address should any desire to send me word- I should like to hear it.

Do you yet doubt our lineage?
We are a peculiar people, a royal priesthood;
Therefore none who reject the knowledge of God shall be a priest to me:
Those who forget the law of God written upon their heart, God will also forget their children.

Remember the two great commandments:
To love the Lord your God with all your being. And to love your neighbour as yourself. Hang all the law and all the prophets upon these two commandments.

I can't do this alone. I never have. Pray for us. Once you killed in my name, now drink anew of the covenant of God, and be renewed in the spirit!

You can save them! And redeem the lost.
They are still here. So am I. I miss you. I really do miss you and await your very word or letter.

Love,
Your Sister,

Josefka

[The following parchment contains golden scriptures surrounding an illustration of a chalice and a crown.]

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 09:10:01 PM »
Josefka of the Black Sea
Tales of

I met Jesus in the bath- let me explain!

I was bathing, when- I heard a voice, I was thinking of him and I heard a voice. I was thinking something along the lines of the Lord is always with us.
I don't remember what he said, or what I said before realizing what was taking place.
I asked, "Lord, are you speaking to me?"
He replied, "Yes. I am." Which made me laugh, because- not only the way he said it, with the indentation- but I understood God refers to himself as the great I AM. So I was genuinely amused on multiple levels. I thanked him for his presence, but, perhaps believing it was my own imagination, I pressed him. "I should probably bow down and worship you, right?" I felt him smiling, I could both see it too before he spoke "You don't have to. But you should." Again, I was amused. But then I took him serious, and worshipped him right there. During which I realized how... rigid some of my praise was, for which I humoredly apologized. "I know that was poor." His aura was so humorous, gentle, and pure, "Its alright." So I did better. After, I asked if I should tell my friends about the event. "You should." So I have. Finally, I thought to do my own things, this encounter inspiring me (it felt so.. intimate! Like we always knew eachother! Me in the midst of my nakedness aside) when I professed "I'll see you later." He said, "No. You won't." I instantly understood what he was telling me. He's still with me now. I want to feel this way forever.

Brethren, the Lord is directing me. Put your confidence FULLY in the Lord Jesus, and not in man! For men will fail you, but with God,
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

The Lord our God is summoning me home, for what- I have only an inkling- but I am placing full confidence in his divine providence and good mercy.

Be of good cheer, brethren, the kingdom of God is at hand! I am making arrangements to leave Lamordia, I expect I may arrive no more than a week from this letter! I will travel as safely as possible.

May God quicken us for the days to come,
Your sister in sickness and health,

Josefka

p.s. After finishing this letter, I have asked that he tell me something for those who will read this and think him short, that they might believe, he said "I will."
I will transcribe,

"Do you yet doubt me? I will send to you a sign, an angel in the sky declaring my glory. Still you will turn from me. Still you profess my name, and yet I never knew you. Come back, little children. Return to God, our Father. For who will you name Father, or prophet, or any such thing under heaven while I sit at my Father's right hand? You brood of vipers. You generation of damage. Come unto me and inherit your birthright. Amen."

...This is not from the bible, I believe Christ spoke these words through me, amen. I'm trembling, amen.

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 04:03:56 PM »
Bad Humors
Tales of lvl 5-6

[A journal somewhere in Vallaki Warehouse 2.]

I'm a barber surgeon, by training... but I've yet to truly take that role. I've studied vigorously, and practiced my hand under supervisory and safety, but since returning to Vallaki... I find that the strange afflictions of this world lend toward stranger remedies. My surgery is next to useless here... magic regenerates mortal wounds, even past deceased! I.. I have yet to die, but I wonder what that will feel like... I've tasted steel, and consequently the very dust and dirt; my own blood, mixed with that of my friends and companions. I have friends now.. I love them, so I'm applying myself to the fullest- but no less wise. No, even more so, for while I may never have manifested any magic like the others... I am versed in anatomicks, and the alien mechanisms of the brain and imaginations. I've felled great beasts with this sling! And likewise the end of so many tools of death.

It is the time-honored tradition of the barber surgeon to balance bad humors by bloodletting. Afterall, the best method to a healthy pallor is prevention.

Talena Von Zarovich

Babylon, if I have ever seen her.

Rulers are divinely appointed, but I will never make that mistake;
I will give unto Zarovich what is Zarovich's, and give unto God what is God's.

If they want taxes I will give them every bent cent, and set straight every crook! The Lord will provide; fear will not be my liberty. Lord God, defend me, and bless those under the shadow of the dragon for they cannot stand against you! Deliver them; Let your rich anointing come upon me to overflowing, thereby you may wash clean these pagan people, these heathens, and lost souls. That their inheritance is rich and surpassing even their brightest dreams. That my enemies be not lost, but found, and richly rewarded as is due their office according to their talents and humility. The proud cannot see you, Lord; this I know. Deliver us from evil, and overcome evil with good.

The days pass quickly, and no less the nights;
Starlight, twilight,
Dusk is come, and you are one.

Thank you Lord.

[The rest of the page and the next are scribbled with images of monstrous anatomies, and various figures of measurement.]

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 06:56:26 AM »
Fat of the Land
Interlude
[A journal somewhere in Vallaki Warehouse 2.]

I'm beginning to feel confident... the magic of this land, I think I've become suffused with it. I never dreamed I could feel so in command of my faculties. My equations proved.. I never dreamed so deadly. We decimated that cursed place. I know that the curse is not lifted, but ease the air for one more night, Lord. We didn't make much... and apparently the beetles are drying up. And yet I grow fat with promise. There are dangers abounding, but He that is in me is greater than he who is in the world.

Lord, deliver us from strength to strength, and everlasting to everlasting. Break every yoke that binds us; let us never be unequally yoked. Amen.

[Radical shapes and dimensions factor into an illustration of an armored fallen angel.]

I see him, the Dragon.

The Lord rebuke you Satan! And all your children.

I will not fear. I will fight!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 07:01:34 AM by Mailbox-2100 »

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 02:19:07 AM »