You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New Base Class - Warlock  (Read 6568 times)

zDark Shadowz

Re: New Base Class - Warlock
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2022, 06:59:46 PM »
Is this due to lack of Spell Focus? Should warlocks get Ability Focus - Invocation or something similar to source to boost their DCs instead?

https://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/monster-manual-v--78/ability-focus--14/index.html

Referenced here;
https://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/warlock/index.html

"Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, a warlock cannot benefit from the Spell Focus feat. He can, however, benefit from the Ability Focus feat (see page 303 of the Monster Manual)"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 07:02:14 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Voclain

• Outlander
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2022, 07:12:09 PM »
Is this due to lack of Spell Focus? Do warlocks get Ability Focus - Invocation or something similar to source to boost their DCs instead?

https://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/monster-manual-v--78/ability-focus--14/index.html

Warlocks get 2 feats that increase invocation DCs, it's just that the base DC value is sort of low so it often doesn't matter.

I also think the shapeshifts are a complete trap that exist primarily for RP purposes, but that's just me. You might get some use out of hellcat if you want to be a pack mule.
Too many regrets. Lost chances – and with each one passing the less human we all became, and the deeper into the nightmare of power we all sank.

pastafeets

• New to the Mists
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2022, 09:21:09 PM »
Is this due to lack of Spell Focus? Do warlocks get Ability Focus - Invocation or something similar to source to boost their DCs instead?

Warlocks get 2 feats that increase invocation DCs, it's just that the base DC value is sort of low so it often doesn't matter.

I also think the shapeshifts are a complete trap that exist primarily for RP purposes, but that's just me. You might get some use out of hellcat if you want to be a pack mule.

But they aren't useful for RP.  They don't do anything except get you killed by everyone who hates evil things or magic in general.  It serves no use.  There is no situation where spiderform or cat form would do anything for anyone without serious contrivances.

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2022, 09:22:47 PM »

But they aren't useful for RP.  They don't do anything except get you killed by everyone who hates evil things or magic in general.  It serves no use.  There is no situation where spiderform or cat form would do anything for anyone without serious contrivances.

That spider is iirc huge (think of the bonus to knockdown attempts) with DC 36 poison.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

pastafeets

• New to the Mists
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2022, 09:24:05 PM »
Is this due to lack of Spell Focus? Should warlocks get Ability Focus - Invocation or something similar to source to boost their DCs instead?

Referenced here;

"Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, a warlock cannot benefit from the Spell Focus feat. He can, however, benefit from the Ability Focus feat (see page 303 of the Monster Manual)"

Without anyway to buff ourselves, the inherent low level of warlock DCs, and the abundance of really good save gear and monsters with high saves, most are useless after low levels.

Everything has really high SR too.  Unlimited eldritch chains don't matter if you can't break the SR.  (and that's with regular and greater spell penetration)  And SR is fine, but it very well nullifies what we can do (as the other casters are at least bringing buffs to the table) without sacrificing a very rare invocation slot for the SR busting blast.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:54:39 PM by pastafeets »

pastafeets

• New to the Mists
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2022, 09:40:39 PM »
I realize that I'm offering critique without offering suggestions and that isn't helpful.

What I'm finding is that most of my potential abilities looks great on paper but when I have them in the game they aren't useful. 

Spamming sounds insanely strong but in reality once you're in the mid-levels you won't have an opportunity to seriously spam your blasts.

A lot of the utility invocations have so many drawbacks they just aren't something feasable - I noticed that at the level 3 invocations.  The fire aura shoots light off - that's not helpful.  The shadow aura gives 100 percent concealment:  Cool.  But when my friends walk up to me it saps their strength.  and it only lasts 5 rounds.  And it doesn't work in the light so if I get jumped on the road during daytime, my only real defensive ability is useless.   The fire wall is really strong.  But it's as dangerous to friendlies as foes (though with planning that can be somewhat mitigated)

I have regularly @relevel-ed each level for awhile now to test out each invocations and I'm seriously finding it hard to settle because I have to decide which one hurts me the least when I use it. (Eldritch chain though, is good.  No notes)

Most warlock invocations are so niche they won't come up all the time, and I think that's the issue.  I think the class needs the utility and toolbox invocations increased in usefulness in more situations.  We only have 3 per level - when an invovation has such a narrow and niche use it seriously hurts our ability to impact any scene that requires a use of power.

It's just such a bummer to read all these powers that SOUND cool but when you get in-world and use them they turn out to be a waste of a valuable and rare invocation slot.  We only get 3 each level.  Losing one that is useless in adventuring and next-to-useless in RP is such a bummer and disappointment.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:45:28 PM by pastafeets »

pastafeets

• New to the Mists
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2022, 09:41:43 PM »

Referenced here;

Without anyway to buff ourselves, the inherent low level of warlock DCs, and the abundance of really good save gear and monsters with high saves, most are useless after low levels.

Everything has really high SR too.  Unlimited eldritch chains don't matter if you can't break the SR.  (and that's with regular and greater spell penetration)

I was told by someone else that the spider can be useful at level 15.  It's really sad an invocation you can get at like level 6 needs to wait unfil 15 to be useful.  And I tested it at the lower levels - it was useless as I have no way to buff myself, and if I have a group I'm more effective just blasting.   Though most things are immune to poison so I don't really call that useful.  And you've got no invocations that makes doing melee actually viable so you're really more of a threat to yourself doing it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:51:15 PM by pastafeets »

pastafeets

• New to the Mists
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2022, 03:41:06 PM »
One more thing to consider!  Spammability isn't a terrible bonus if you get spell failure from constant casting exhaustion.

Steel

• New to the Mists
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2022, 05:27:44 PM »
Magic insight is bugged.

This seems like it’s still bugged. I had taken it and couldn’t get the spell to work at all.

Ghost Love Score

• Outlander
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2022, 03:42:27 PM »
Okay so the Invocations Otherwordly Whispers and Draconic Knowledge are both lvl 1 Invocations, and they both practically do the exact same thing. Only that Draconic Knowledge straight up gives more value. Is there a design decision for this or what? I don't see why I would ever wanna pick Otherwordly Whispers over Draconic Knowledge unless I would wanna pick both and stack the buffs (if that is even possible).

Spells:
Evil watches, evil waits, goodness stumbles, evil takes.

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2022, 03:55:47 PM »
This is absolutely true (and you can stack them). Though it does feel like Otherworldly Whispers is almost the more common pick, because RP flavour. Draconic Knowledge is basically purely mechanical. But Otherworldly Whispers gives you permission to have voices whispering in your head, and is a bigger hook during DM events.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2022, 08:49:16 PM »
They're indeed somewhat redundant but they stack so we can keep both.

bloodless

• Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2022, 10:04:18 AM »
I can't confirm but it doesn't seem like the warlock invocations or eldritch blast raise OCR, even when cast in plain sight of NPCs.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2022, 10:26:11 AM »
I can't confirm but it doesn't seem like the warlock invocations or eldritch blast raise OCR, even when cast in plain sight of NPCs.

I'd test to confirm, but then I'd have to chase down a DM for an OCR rollback.