Author Topic: New Base Class - Warlock  (Read 6555 times)

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
Re: New Base Class - Warlock
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2022, 11:50:43 AM »
Retributive Invisibility currently doesn't seem to work properly.
     When the character attacks or uses @dispel invis, the 50% concealment is also gone. This seems like a bug.
     No shockwave seems to result from the @dispel, @dispel invis or @dispel concealment commands, though I don't know if that should result in a shockwave.

Mist Horrors seem to be somehow immune to Wall of Perilous Flame. When they float over it, they take only the fire damage (to which they are immune) and no magic damage. Is that a property of their ability to fly?

Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2022, 09:49:16 PM »
Retributive Invisibility currently doesn't seem to work properly.
     When the character attacks or uses @dispel invis, the 50% concealment is also gone. This seems like a bug.
     No shockwave seems to result from the @dispel, @dispel invis or @dispel concealment commands, though I don't know if that should result in a shockwave.

Yeah, that's intentional. It only fires off if dispelled by a Dispel Magic spell, not when removing your own VFX.

I'll fix the concealment bug though.

Mist Horrors seem to be somehow immune to Wall of Perilous Flame. When they float over it, they take only the fire damage (to which they are immune) and no magic damage. Is that a property of their ability to fly?

Mist Horrors are incorporeal and aren't affected by Wall of Fire/Wall of Perilous Flames.

Keep testing the class; I'm sure there are plenty more bugs to find given the sheer amount of new spells.

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2022, 08:15:32 AM »
Eldritch Chain still doesn't seem to be jumping as many times as it should. It'll always jump to one nearby target, but I've had it jump to more than one additional target only once or twice in my testing on a level 20 character.

I tried going to areas that would have fewer non-creature targets around, such as outside the wolf den and various parts of the sullen woods, but no luck. Usually just one.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2022, 07:54:10 AM »
Eldritch Chain still doesn't seem to be jumping as many times as it should. It'll always jump to one nearby target, but I've had it jump to more than one additional target only once or twice in my testing on a level 20 character.

I tried going to areas that would have fewer non-creature targets around, such as outside the wolf den and various parts of the sullen woods, but no luck. Usually just one.

Can you screenshot the combat log next time?

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2022, 11:03:52 PM »

Can you screenshot the combat log next time?

I tried to capture as much in this screenshot to show what's happening. Level 15 now. Three targets right next to eachother. It only zaps two.

A lot more viable targets here, still only two.

Then I figured maybe I was just getting unlucky and it was jumping to furniture/etc and canceling it, so I lead some targets to a hallway with nothing that could be interacted with.

Still just two.

I don't know how the spell works, but if it's trying its "closest" target, is it possible it's trying to bounce back to the target that had just died, but failing and thus canceling the chain? The few times I was able to get it to chain to more than 2, I'm pretty sure no targets died.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 11:11:55 PM by Iolantir »

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2022, 10:54:17 AM »
Some feedback from the test server:
I did not read through the issues reported already, so some of these may be duplicates.

1. Enervating shadow doesn't break when attacking or doing damage, and can be refreshed before the previous instance ends: Therefore the warlock can be immune to all melee attacks by doing this. Maybe there should be a cooldown of 1 or more rounds between uses.
2. Eldritch chain never hits more than 2 targets. The description of this ability leads me to believe that it should be able to hit more than 2 targets when they are tightly grouped.
3. Call of the Beast grants animal empathy. However this version of animal empathy does not work on any animals. I tried using it on a deer, and got the error message that the target was invalid.
4. Retributive Invisibility doesn't retain the concealment bonus when invisibility is broken.

Looks like a fun class.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:15:04 AM by tylernwn »

Dardonas

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2022, 11:09:55 AM »
1. Enervating shadow doesn't break when attacking or doing damage, and can be refreshed before the previous instance ends: Therefore the warlock can be immune to all melee attacks by doing this. Maybe there should be a cooldown of 1 or more rounds between uses.

Not a bug, but a feature, I believe.  It is easily countered by using light spells on a warlock or having something that ignores concealment, such as spells.  If anything, they need this as the one defensive option they have.  It's fine as is.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2022, 11:21:51 AM »

Not a bug, but a feature, I believe.  It is easily countered by using light spells on a warlock or having something that ignores concealment, such as spells.  If anything, they need this as the one defensive option they have.  It's fine as is.

I think the point is legitimate. What is to stop a player from using this ability to be invincible in a variety of pve situations? For example a warlock could tank any mostly melee/archer enemy at night/indoors, starting at the point that the ability is unlocked. Including end game bosses, and such.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:28:04 AM by tylernwn »

Dardonas

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2022, 11:27:10 AM »

I disagree that this is fine as is. You are talking about countering this spell in a pvp situation. However what is to stop a player from using this to be invincible in a variety of pve situations? For example a warlock could tank any mostly melee/archer enemy at night/indoors, starting at the point that the ability is unlocked; desert trolls, ebon harbingers, salt shadows, or really any enemy that uses mainly weapon attacks.

That's fine too. Let them have immunity to attacks in PvE situations. We allowed Warmages, let's open up the door for more unorthodox strategies. They have to constantly keep casting it.

Remember, they aren't immune to spells.  Even trolls cast spells.  Mummies cast spells.  Warlocks only have a d6 hit die.  Not to mention with how they aren't doing big bursts of damage like Warmage that often one-shots things, they'll need something to keep them safe in places where they can cast, as spells often draw melee aggro and warlocks are constantly casting spells.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:52:25 AM by Dardonas »

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2022, 11:31:38 AM »

That's fine too. Let them have immunity to attacks in PvE situations. We allowed Warmages, let's open up the door for more unorthodox strategies. They have to constantly keep casting it.

Remember, they aren't immune to spells.  Even trolls cast spells.  Mummies cast spells.  Warlocks aren't immune to spells and only have a d6 hit die.  Not to mention with how they aren't doing big bursts of damage like Warmage that often one-shots things, they'll need something to keep them safe in places where they can cast, as spells often draw melee aggro and warlocks are constantly casting spells.

It will be a must-have ability, for sure.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:44:02 AM by tylernwn »

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2022, 12:34:33 PM »
Spellcasting while in combat is also the most exhausting thing one can do (+5). It's more exhausting even than running (+4) and melee combat (+3). And the moment exhaustion ticks over, progressively more dire spell failure begins to apply. When your casting of Enervating Shadow fails due to exhaustion, the giant swarm of enemies you've probably attracted with your invincibility rips you to shreds.

It is very strong, but it's also difficult to manage. You've always got to be clicking. And your damage output isn't amazing, so you have to cast non-stop if you're using the Enervating Shadow invincibility strategy. And if you lag out for a few seconds, or mis-time your spellcasting clicks, you die.
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2022, 12:55:46 PM »

For now it'll remain as is, but we'll see later if we need to tweak it.

2. Eldritch chain never hits more than 2 targets. The description of this ability leads me to believe that it should be able to hit more than 2 targets when they are tightly grouped.

I'll try to load another fix for this.

3. Call of the Beast grants animal empathy. However this version of animal empathy does not work on any animals. I tried using it on a deer, and got the error message that the target was invalid.

Thanks; I've found the cause and will have it fixed in the next version.

4. Retributive Invisibility doesn't retain the concealment bonus when invisibility is broken.

A fix for this is already pending.

Last Exit to Barovia

• Undead Slayer
  • "unto us a most inspired storm"
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2022, 09:29:14 AM »
Enervating Shadows: Triggers the Fort save against friendly some friendly NPC when cast in their proximity.
Tested this in the temple in the outskirts next to the priestess. Only Horatio was forced to make the saving throw, making them all hostile. Returned to test it again with same result.

Scalding Blast appears to cause doors to close if they are within it's blast area. Could be part of the knockdown script. Tested this in the ML crypts. Triggered on every cast.
Gianna Valentina, Curate of the Refuge of the Fifth Light

Last Exit to Barovia

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2022, 10:57:23 AM »
Invocation: Spider-Shape - does not appear to polymorph into correct size or creature. Indication was when using Improved Knockdown on various creatures. EDIT: Attacks are made at +12 instead of +14, which would be the correct AB with +18 max and the attack made at -4. Should be +14, not +12.

Also attempted in the crypts against skeletons. AB was at +7 (with expertise on) so would be capping still at the +12. Visual for Spider-Shape also didn't change when reaching lvl 15 either.

Spoiler: combat log vs zombies • show
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 12:58:16 PM by Last Exit to Barovia »

Favee

• Undead Master
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2022, 11:13:50 AM »
Invocation: Spider-Shape - does not appear to polymorph into correct size or creature. Indication was when using Improved Knockdown on various creatures. Attack bonus at lvl 15 Warlock (Spider-Shape should transform into Huge Size, with Imp knockdown adding another +4 to size category) is only showing as +12 against the deer around Vallaki. Test characters highest attack bonus is +18. I'm uncertain what size deer are, but even if they are large then it should still show as having 2 size categories higher with Huge size creature & imp knockdown, with the attack perhaps then being at +22.

Also attempted in the crypts against skeletons. AB was at +7 (with expertise on) so would be capping still at the +12. Visual for Spider-Shape also didn't change when reaching lvl 15 either.

Spoiler: combat log vs zombies • show

Improved knockdown and size difference do not affect Attack Bonus, it affects the discipline check DC to avoid being knocked prone.

Disarm does however gain bonus attack against smaller sizes.  So a greatsword would get more Attack bonus to disarm a tiny weapon like a dagger.
Discord: Favee#4934

Last Exit to Barovia

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2022, 12:31:46 PM »
There is still an issue with the AB that the Imp Knockdown attack is being made at, I think. With an AB of +18, it should be made at +14 then with the -4 from the attack, not +12. Am I missing something else here? I edited my OP for this potential bug to reflect Favee's correction.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 12:58:45 PM by Last Exit to Barovia »

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2022, 12:58:44 PM »
There is still an issue with the AB that the Imp Knockdown attack is being made at, I think. With an AB of +18, it should be made at +14 then with the -4 from the attack, not +12. Am I missing something else here?

A size modifier might be coming into play, since - for whatever arcane reason - they aren't listed on your character sheet.

Last Exit to Barovia

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2022, 01:00:11 PM »
Yeah. Either way it doesn't really add up. At lvl 15 the spider should be Huge.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2022, 10:11:55 PM »
Enervating Shadows: Triggers the Fort save against friendly some friendly NPC when cast in their proximity.
Tested this in the temple in the outskirts next to the priestess. Only Horatio was forced to make the saving throw, making them all hostile. Returned to test it again with same result.

I'll fix that, thanks.

Scalding Blast appears to cause doors to close if they are within it's blast area. Could be part of the knockdown script. Tested this in the ML crypts. Triggered on every cast.

I checked and it's intentional. The same happens with Gust of Wind and Boreal Wind. I'll clarify the spell descriptions though.

Invocation: Spider-Shape - does not appear to polymorph into correct size or creature. Indication was when using Improved Knockdown on various creatures. Attack bonus at lvl 15 Warlock (Spider-Shape should transform into Huge Size, with Imp knockdown adding another +4 to size category) is only showing as +12 against the deer around Vallaki. Test characters highest attack bonus is +18. I'm uncertain what size deer are, but even if they are large then it should still show as having 2 size categories higher with Huge size creature & imp knockdown, with the attack perhaps then being at +22.

The log you've posted seems to confirm it's a Huge spider. You get a -2AB vs the deer because of the huge size, so rather than 14, it's 12 AB. That being said, it looks like the model doesn't reflect the spider's actual shape. I'll look into that.

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2022, 05:45:29 PM »
With the recent update, Eldritch Chain appears to be fixed!

Dardonas

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2022, 08:34:28 PM »
Thieves' Bane still has issues.

Casting it on doors with a specific key required locks the door.  You cannot pick it.  You cannot bash it.  This is problematic in places where there is no key often given, such as the Sanctuary of the Coming Dawn.

Spoiler: show

This is the result from trying to pick the Thieves' Bane

Casting it on doors that already have their own specific bash check will use that bash DC.  I.E. the Western Outskirts gate is DC 28, even when the DC for Thieves' Bane should be DC 30 for a level 20 warlock.

Spoiler: show

Warlocks cannot dispel their own Thieves' Bane.  Spells like Voracious Dispelling do not meet the dispel check so a Warlock can effectively soft-lock themselves into an area. 

As fun as a flavor spell as it seems, it also has a ton of griefing potential I am worried about in its current state.

Dardonas

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2022, 08:38:51 PM »
You can Thieves' Bane the bounty board in Vallaki and then can no longer access it.  There is no bash option and it requires a key to "open," so it has the issue above where it's "plot locked."

Edit: You can lock the Well in Vallaki as well.

Fortunately it has a bash DC.

Edit 2:

Warlocks can force an NCE by locking the Mist Wall gates in Barovia:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 09:02:42 PM by Dardonas »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2022, 10:24:39 PM »
I'll fix those issues.

Dardonas

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2022, 03:17:23 AM »
For some reason, Word of Changing does not seem to be correctly turning enemies into the the shape.  I tested this againsts rats in the Vallaki Sewers using Word of Changing (Tortoise).

Additionally, Ennervating shadows is still having an incorrect tooltip for subsequent checks.  I'm not sure if the drain effect is correctly working or not for that DC, however.

Dardonas

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2022, 10:21:29 PM »
Aura of Flame does not last for 24 hours like the tooltip suggests.  I'm not sure what its actual time is, but it seems to go away shortly after leaving combat.

In addition, the only VFX that Aura of Flame gets is a orange glow similar to a ring of resistance.