You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: LFRP Incentives  (Read 1741 times)

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Re: LFRP Incentives
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2022, 05:21:37 PM »
If I wanted to suicide by AMPC/ Evil /do-gooder, I would turn it on. (Players having it turned on for them by default would be bad, making them targets if they didnt know or didnt care to turn it off)

I agree that LFRP should be a player-selected toggle at their discretion, but I just wanted to highlight this portion of the message because I think there ought to be some clarification as to what is acceptable when utilizing LFRP.

LFRP is not the same as PVP, and it is not consent to PVP either.  It is an invitation to RP -- which can be good, evil, or indifferent, but it is still not PVP.  PVP remains opt-in, and if someone is simply looking for RP interaction, that is not the same thing as consent to PVP.  I think other players specifically using LFRP to seek out and provoke PVP situations is a form of griefing, and using LFRP to actively scry out "enemies" for confrontation is a form of metagaming.  LFRP is essentially an OOC tool to prompt IC gameplay, and people should be conscientious about its use in that manner.  Now, any particular RP scenario may certainly escalate into a PVP situation, but that should be based solely on the intentional, consensual IC interactions between the players, not some form of OOC unilateral stalking. 

Any player approved for an AMPC is likely mature enough to understand this already, so I don't really have any concerns about AMPCs hunting down PCs using LFRP (perhaps confronting PCs for some good, flavorful RP, but not for hunting/killing purposes), but the concern about other PCs is valid, but I still think that is a concern that is already addressed by the server rules.

P.S.  I do think that some sort of minor "reward" for LFRP usage is warranted.  Players, especially new players, should be encouraged and incentivized to use the tool.  Perhaps a small xp reward for having LFRP on for a minimum increment of time, or something similar.

It’s my understanding MPCs already have a tool to find players. They don’t need to use the LF rp feature to find someone.

A/MPCs were the only ones who originally had such a list available for them. It would be nice to see it used more often, and if you're wanted it's easy to turn off. You're not going to get murdered by anyone by using lrfp mode any more than you would organically. If you are wearing a target don't use it, it's that simple. I've used it on and off since the introduction to it and I do feel like it is something that is underused, and maybe there could be a better use of the space it takes up on the server?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
  • Courage is the soul of life.
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2022, 11:39:10 AM »
If LFRP were made opt-in, I expect a lot of niavete about metagaming will have been shown to be just that.
Currently:
Livu Olmstead - First Watcher of Helm
Emmanuelle Skyshard - Ezran escapee from Hazlan

Also:
Liliana Bolboceanu - Forest ranger

Holgard

• Outlander
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2022, 11:58:17 AM »
If I wanted to suicide by AMPC/ Evil /do-gooder, I would turn it on. (Players having it turned on for them by default would be bad, making them targets if they didnt know or didnt care to turn it off)

I agree that LFRP should be a player-selected toggle at their discretion, but I just wanted to highlight this portion of the message because I think there ought to be some clarification as to what is acceptable when utilizing LFRP.

LFRP is not the same as PVP, and it is not consent to PVP either.  It is an invitation to RP -- which can be good, evil, or indifferent, but it is still not PVP.  PVP remains opt-in, and if someone is simply looking for RP interaction, that is not the same thing as consent to PVP.  I think other players specifically using LFRP to seek out and provoke PVP situations is a form of griefing, and using LFRP to actively scry out "enemies" for confrontation is a form of metagaming.  LFRP is essentially an OOC tool to prompt IC gameplay, and people should be conscientious about its use in that manner.  Now, any particular RP scenario may certainly escalate into a PVP situation, but that should be based solely on the intentional, consensual IC interactions between the players, not some form of OOC unilateral stalking. 

Any player approved for an AMPC is likely mature enough to understand this already, so I don't really have any concerns about AMPCs hunting down PCs using LFRP (perhaps confronting PCs for some good, flavorful RP, but not for hunting/killing purposes), but the concern about other PCs is valid, but I still think that is a concern that is already addressed by the server rules.

P.S.  I do think that some sort of minor "reward" for LFRP usage is warranted.  Players, especially new players, should be encouraged and incentivized to use the tool.  Perhaps a small xp reward for having LFRP on for a minimum increment of time, or something similar.

It’s my understanding MPCs already have a tool to find players. They don’t need to use the LF rp feature to find someone.

We have a tool that tells us how many people are in certain zones, not who and precisely where. It's pretty abstract and often times when it lists someone in a zone they could be in a range of 3-10 transitions. There's one quite notorious one that is over ten transitions but I won't give details.

There's still a lot of running around semi-aimlessly.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2022, 01:34:31 PM »
If LFRP were made opt-in, I expect a lot of niavete about metagaming will have been shown to be just that.

LFRP is currently set to Opt-in only. You have to actively seek RP via the LFRP tool to participate in it. Its highly under utilized because people either forget about it, or because players want some exclusivity in their play.

I'd argue that setting it to Opt-out only would be a more beneficial use of the tool.  Players can opt out the moment they log in if they don't choose to use it and leave it off until the next reset. Or, if it's possible, maybe it can even be set to be persistent through resets. But that would mean the system is being used more actively because players have to opt-out of it and thus are reminded of the fact that it's there and is a great tool for developing RP outside of the main hubs.

Coincidentally, I think this would go a long way to reduce the use of said hubs and bring about a more immersive experience for everyone. You could, for instance, take a charater to a coffee shop in Dementlieu or a bookstore in Barovia and be found with ease by players who might be interested in interacting in a way that is different from standing around the outskirts with their thumbs up their butts waiting for something interesting to happen while everyone stands around and does things that are entirely uninteresting.

It would allow players to find groups of people participating in player run events without them having to log into the forums to check if they've made it or not. It would allow IC friends to find each other without as much need for OOC whispering. And with it being able to be opted-out, it would still allow for players to do their sneaky business behind closed doors or what have you.

And I see arguments of players being targetted because "they didn't know or didn't care to turn it off" to which I would say, if implemented correctly, there's no excuse for someone to be ignorant of the system (upon login you would be notified of your status in the LFRP system) and if they didn't care to turn it off, that's their perogative. If I walk around with a target on my back, knowing that I have a target on my back, and I can easily remove said target on my back, it becomes my fault if I leave it up and then get shot in the back.

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2022, 01:39:09 PM »
I'd argue that setting it to Opt-out only would be a more beneficial use of the tool.  Players can opt out the moment they log in if they don't choose to use it and leave it off until the next reset. Or, if it's possible, maybe it can even be set to be persistent through resets. But that would mean the system is being used more actively because players have to opt-out of it and thus are reminded of the fact that it's there and is a great tool for developing RP outside of the main hubs.

If you make it a pain to play the game the way people want to, then they're probably just going to go elsewhere.  Personally I have already seen enough metagaming in my play that I've no desire to invite it further.
Currently:

Also:

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2022, 02:10:37 PM »

If you make it a pain to play the game the way people want to, then they're probably just going to go elsewhere.  Personally I have already seen enough metagaming in my play that I've no desire to invite it further.

I don't see clicking a button or typing 5 characters as "a pain". But I can also appreciate peoples desire for anonymity within the server. Definitely not proposing that we make things more difficult for players or that we invade their privacy. But the system is highly underutilized and I think it was put in place for a reason. I'm simply suggesting that we flip the switch to on and allow players to turn it off as opposed to leaving it off and requiring players to turn it on.

In practice, it's only as useful as the players who opt in to it. By setting it to opt-out instead of how it's currently set to opt-in, we open up places like Hazlan, Blaustine, Ghastria as places where players can make thier homes. I would hope that it would eliminate one of the biggest immersion breaking problems that we have on this server which is a bunch of outlanders standing around twiddling their thumbs. It also means that the whole curfew thing in Vallaki is less of an issue. As it is, people stand in the outskirts because they don't know where else to go to find people. With LFRP active you'll be able to see who's where and perhaps find a place that is more appropriate for your character to spend their evenings. It means places like the bell get more use. It means places like Houlgraves get more use. It means you no longer feel like you need to break the law on your lawful character just to have interactions in the night time hours in the game. Of course this only works if people buy into it. And people won't buy into it if it's not used. Switching it to Opt-out vs. Opt-in should result in more players using the feature and thus an improved RP experience for all.

Opting-out is literally as simple as clicking a button or typing 5 characters.

yinyang

• Outlander
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2022, 02:23:17 PM »

LFRP is currently set to Opt-in only. You have to actively seek RP via the LFRP tool to participate in it. Its highly under utilized because people either forget about it, or because players want some exclusivity in their play.

Coincidentally, I think this would go a long way to reduce the use of said hubs and bring about a more immersive experience for everyone. You could, for instance, take a charater to a coffee shop in Dementlieu or a bookstore in Barovia and be found with ease by players who might be interested in interacting in a way that is different from standing around the outskirts with their thumbs up their butts waiting for something interesting to happen while everyone stands around and does things that are entirely uninteresting.

It would allow players to find groups of people participating in player run events without them having to log into the forums to check if they've made it or not. It would allow IC friends to find each other without as much need for OOC whispering. And with it being able to be opted-out, it would still allow for players to do their sneaky business behind closed doors or what have you.

And I see arguments of players being targetted because "they didn't know or didn't care to turn it off" to which I would say, if implemented correctly, there's no excuse for someone to be ignorant of the system (upon login you would be notified of your status in the LFRP system) and if they didn't care to turn it off, that's their perogative. If I walk around with a target on my back, knowing that I have a target on my back, and I can easily remove said target on my back, it becomes my fault if I leave it up and then get shot in the back.

I think a key benefit to what you are advocating is inclusiveness. And really, inclusiveness is what makes LFRP such a wonderful tool, in the rare cases it is actually used. LFRP doesn't require you to already have friends and allies in the community, it is open to anyone who uses it.

Is it not metagaming to hang out in the outskirts/terraces hoping for RP, instead of anywhere else that would make more IC sense? Isn't that a sort of opt-out only LFRP that everyone has to deal with if they want RP? I think allowing people to organically gather in other zones is far more IC and isn't what anyone should consider metagaming. Characters would go to far more places than stand in outskirts/terraces for 5 days at a time. They just usually OOC choose not to because there is no RP there.
✯ THE VALLAKI REVIEW ✯

Anamaria Cosovei - Reporter, truth-teller, story-seeker

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2022, 02:27:41 PM »

I think a key benefit to what you are advocating is inclusiveness. And really, inclusiveness is what makes LFRP such a wonderful tool, in the rare cases it is actually used. LFRP doesn't require you to already have friends and allies in the community, it is open to anyone who uses it.

Is it not metagaming to hang out in the outskirts/terraces hoping for RP, instead of anywhere else that would make more IC sense? Isn't that a sort of opt-out only LFRP that everyone has to deal with if they want RP? I think allowing people to organically gather in other zones is far more IC and isn't what anyone should consider metagaming. Characters would go to far more places than stand in outskirts/terraces for 5 days at a time. They just usually OOC choose not to because there is no RP there.

THIS! Thanks for expanding on what I was trying to point out. You did it so much better and more concise than I did.

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2022, 02:56:39 PM »
Speaking only for myself and for personal reasons that I won't get into here, I do not like feeling pressured into anything.  When I feel that I'm going to be, I'll usually just leave.  I am sure I'm not the only one in that situation, either.
Currently:

Also:

yinyang

• Outlander
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2022, 03:04:18 PM »
Speaking only for myself and for personal reasons that I won't get into here, I do not like feeling pressured into anything.  When I feel that I'm going to be, I'll usually just leave.  I am sure I'm not the only one in that situation, either.

Are you considering something being automatic and opt-out "pressuring"? Wouldn't pressuring be more if there were constant reminders...? I'm not sure many people would agree it is pressuring.
✯ THE VALLAKI REVIEW ✯

yinyang

• Outlander
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2022, 03:17:36 PM »

Are you considering something being automatic and opt-out "pressuring"? Wouldn't pressuring be more if there were constant reminders...? I'm not sure many people would agree it is pressuring.

As an alternative idea for those who find the idea of an opt-out LFRP upsetting, perhaps an AMPC-like opt-out LFRP to supplement the existing one? It could keep names anonymous, and simply inform a player who has not opted in and checks that "some players are in this area and LFRP".
✯ THE VALLAKI REVIEW ✯

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2022, 03:20:52 PM »
Having it automatically set to opt-in upon logging in will definitely lead to metagaming. By the time it’ll take someone to toggle it off others will have had plenty of time to locate them.

We considered having it toggled on by default after resets but decided against it since, for such a system to work, participants must want to actively use it.

yinyang

• Outlander
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2022, 03:24:07 PM »
Having it automatically set to opt-in upon logging in will definitely lead to metagaming. By the time it’ll take someone to toggle it off others will have had plenty of time to locate them.

We considered having it toggled on by default after resets but decided against it since, for such a system to work, participants must want to actively use it.

Will the team consider any improvements or changes besides that specific one?

Edit: For example, a message on logging in after a reset: "Would you like to turn this on? y/n" or any other improvement?
✯ THE VALLAKI REVIEW ✯

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2022, 03:25:13 PM »

Yes, I would.  Saying "you are participating unless you specifically told us you don't want to" is a form of social pressure, especially towards those whom might not want to tell all and sundry they don't want to.

I was hoping to avoid getting into this, but I'm going to cut to the quick here because I feel that it illustrates my problem in a way that is not going to be well-understood otherwise.

I am a victim of sexual violence.  I deal with a variety of issues as regards this, and I have to be very careful about certain topics, especially in roleplay, because they are going to set me off.  This isn't "I'm going to be uncomfortable" set me off, this is "managed with pretty heavy medication" set me off.  Moreover, the things that can do this are things that, to many people, may seem innocuous and harmless.  A lot of these things beyond the obvious are not things that would break the rules on this server (save perhaps the rules on harassment, if I were nonconsenting to certain roleplay and people persisted.) Many people whom have stepped on my triggers aren't people whom meant ill by it.

Part of the reason that POTM appealed to me as a roleplaying environment is because affirmative consent for most things is baked into the rules that are enforced on this server.  The only person who can really closure my character is me.  Situations I don't want to be in I can opt out of, unless I personally have done something to inject myself into them, or otherwise they're the consequences of my own actions.  I can, whenever I want, just choose not to be involved in things that I know are going to be problematic to me as a player.

With the current status quo, I can sit on the fringes of society and pick out people with whom to roleplay I trust will not intentionally transgress those boundaries and will likely be understanding if they do.  There are absolutely times I have cut myself out of roleplaying opprotunities for want of managing those personal boundaries, and there are times when those worries are likely unfounded.  It's something I accept participating in these things.

Changing that status quo to it being opt in invites all manner of discomfort to myself and people that are in those kinds of situations.  While it's easy to say "well just turn it off every time", the one time that you don't, and someone ends up distressed over that, to my (biased opinion) outweighs the utility of it having it be opt in.

Making an inclusive space isn't just about "allowing the most people", or "having the most people on an list"; it is having people actively and willfully participating in it, who feel comfortable and safe doing so.

It is, ironically, easy to say "its easy to just turn it off though" - but I'd invite those saying that to consider that some people just don't want to deal with that to begin with.  Have some empathy for the players behind the characters too - it goes a long way.  Not everything easy for you is easy for everyone else.  We're all built different.

That's an entirely too long explanation of where I'm coming from I guess, but there you go.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:29:00 PM by Arthiel »
Currently:

Also:

yinyang

• Outlander
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2022, 03:31:07 PM »

Yes, I would.  Saying "you are participating unless you specifically told us you don't want to" is a form of social pressure, especially towards those whom might not want to tell all and sundry they don't want to.

I was hoping to avoid getting into this, but I'm going to cut to the quick here because I feel that it illustrates my problem in a way that is not going to be well-understood otherwise.

I am a victim of sexual violence.  I deal with a variety of issues as regards this, and I have to be very careful about certain topics, especially in roleplay, because they are going to set me off.  This isn't "I'm going to be uncomfortable" set me off, this is "managed with pretty heavy medication" set me off.  Moreover, the things that can do this are things that, to many people, may seem innocuous and harmless.  A lot of these things beyond the obvious are not things that would break the rules on this server (save perhaps the rules on harassment, if I were nonconsenting to certain roleplay and people persisted.) Many people whom have stepped on my triggers aren't people whom meant ill by it.

Part of the reason that POTM appealed to me as a roleplaying environment is because affirmative consent for most things is baked into the rules that are enforced on this server.  The only person who can really closure my character is me.  Situations I don't want to be in I can opt out of, unless I personally have done something to inject myself into them, or otherwise they're the consequences of my own actions.  I can, whenever I want, just choose not to be involved in things that I know are going to be problematic to me as a player.

With the current status quo, I can sit on the fringes of society and pick out people with whom to roleplay I trust will not intentionally transgress those boundaries and will likely be understanding if they do.  There are absolutely times I have cut myself out of roleplaying opprotunities for want of managing those personal boundaries, and there are times when those worries are likely unfounded.  It's something I accept participating in these things.

Changing that status quo to it being opt in invites all manner of discomfort to myself and people that are in those kinds of situations.  While it's easy to say "well just turn it off every time", the one time that you don't, and someone ends up distressed over that, to my (biased opinion) outweighs the utility of it having it be opt in.

Making an inclusive space isn't just about "allowing the most people", or "having the most people on an list"; it is having people actively and willfully participating in it, who feel comfortable and safe doing so.

It is, ironically, easy to say "its easy to just turn it off though" - but I'd invite those saying that to consider that some people just want to deal with that to begin with.  Have some empathy for the players behind the characters too - it goes a long way.

That's an entirely too long explanation of where I'm coming from I guess, but there you go.

I have nothing but sympathy and respect for your position, and I'm very sorry. That being said, I don't think this is a topic which can really be debated given it comes down to personal feelings, but I will point to the fact that affirmative consent is not a given on this server, for example the PvP rules state:

- OOC consent to "opt in" is encouraged but not required; choosing not to deescalate the conflict given the opportunity in-character is considered opting in.

I don't feel this suggestion is a matter of lacking empathy or doing harm to people. That being said, I don't think it's healthy to debate the opt-out matter further and would encourage the topic to move past it, especially given EO's remarks. Thank you.

Edit: I do feel the need to address this point as it isn't tied in to personal matters, and is more a matter of misinterpreting arguments, so I feel the need to defend my point:

I agree entirely with the idea that an inclusive space isn't *just* about having the most people, and I must defend that it was not my meaning and I doubt it was ZSRunner's as well. The idea of LFRP as a tool for inclusivity means that people don't *need* to have OOC friends and cliques to find RP, that people can find themselves RPing with strangers and meeting new people.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:35:19 PM by yinyang »
✯ THE VALLAKI REVIEW ✯

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2022, 03:36:10 PM »
For what it's worth:

1] I would absolutely be okay with a reminder that you can turn on LFRP when you log in.  Such as you suggest above.
2] I do think it would be nice for those that do opt in to it to have it persist across resets, though there are likely technical challenges to this that might not be easily-surmountable.

I'm also somewhat of the opinion that some sort of incentives to use it would increase use of it for those that do want to use the system, and I see no harm in that.  I don't really have a good idea to suggest what those incentives would be though.
Currently:

Also:

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2022, 05:02:22 PM »

I think the issue is that people don't use it because it's simply not being used. I think people would be more apt to using it if it was more frequently populated. Correlation vs causation and all that. Hard to know one way or another which comes first. I frequently turn it on to find it empty, then turn it off because it's not telling me where I could go. I've turned it on a few times when sitting in a place that is less frequented and find myself just sitting waiting because the system is under utilized.  Having it set to Opt-in upon reset makes sense because players have the opportunity to turn it off before they move into the world IF they don't want to be disturbed by randoms. It also reminds them that it's there and that it might be a valuable tool to use if you're not set up with some group for a predetermined date.

I certainly wouldn't want it to switch back on anytime you log in. It should remain in the state you last left it, barring perhaps resents, I'm not sure if that can be saved.  But if it could, it would allow players to opt out and forget about it all together while reminding players that it's there.  Meta-gaming isn't an issue provided players KNOW they're in the system. Opting out is as easy as opting in. I have a suspicion that if you experimented with this tool a little and set it to automatically opt-in upon reset AND you make sure that players are notified upon arrival of this change, that you'd find a lot more people using and supporting this feature which is very good but rarely used.  As it is, you could turn the feature off all together and I'd guess that maybe only 5% of the server population would take notice.

yinyang

• Outlander
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2022, 05:12:50 PM »

I think the issue is that people don't use it because it's simply not being used. I think people would be more apt to using it if it was more frequently populated. Correlation vs causation and all that. Hard to know one way or another which comes first. I frequently turn it on to find it empty, then turn it off because it's not telling me where I could go. I've turned it on a few times when sitting in a place that is less frequented and find myself just sitting waiting because the system is under utilized.  Having it set to Opt-in upon reset makes sense because players have the opportunity to turn it off before they move into the world IF they don't want to be disturbed by randoms. It also reminds them that it's there and that it might be a valuable tool to use if you're not set up with some group for a predetermined date.

I certainly wouldn't want it to switch back on anytime you log in. It should remain in the state you last left it, barring perhaps resents, I'm not sure if that can be saved.  But if it could, it would allow players to opt out and forget about it all together while reminding players that it's there.  Meta-gaming isn't an issue provided players KNOW they're in the system. Opting out is as easy as opting in. I have a suspicion that if you experimented with this tool a little and set it to automatically opt-in upon reset AND you make sure that players are notified upon arrival of this change, that you'd find a lot more people using and supporting this feature which is very good but rarely used.  As it is, you could turn the feature off all together and I'd guess that maybe only 5% of the server population would take notice.

Yes, the problem is that if you turn it on, much of the time only one person will see it. So it becomes easily forgotten.

I've thought about opt-out only more and I'm not in favor of it, and it clearly won't be done anyway, but I think there is something to be said for some change.

I've played on one server that let you simply check where people were, without naming a name. You could opt in and out of it, even though it was anonymous.

That would be helpful.
✯ THE VALLAKI REVIEW ✯

GiganticHowlslime

• Outlander
  • Chad LFRP User
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2022, 08:18:34 AM »
LFRP is best. Had it on at all times.

Especially made certain to turn it on when going into the forests at night.

Every MPC/Evil player I bumped into as a result of doing so was great and made some awesome scenes. Having LFRP on doesn't invalidate rules against PvPing, and a lot of spoopy/monstery players are super enthusiastic to find anyone who is open to such encounters. Every time I threw my characters safety and integrity into the hands of a monster player, they bounced it around, scratched it up a bit, then put it safely back somewhere they could play with it again in the future. The staff don't approve MPCs just so they can go and PvP people to death.

It would be nice to have a personal setting to lock it on, as a one time "LFRP Lock" command that turned it on until manually cancelled, persisting across resets.

I also support the idea of MPCs having 'invisible' access to LFRP and being able to see without being seen on it.

Have you turned on LFRP today?

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2022, 09:38:52 AM »
LFRP is best. Had it on at all times.

Especially made certain to turn it on when going into the forests at night.

Every MPC/Evil player I bumped into as a result of doing so was great and made some awesome scenes. Having LFRP on doesn't invalidate rules against PvPing, and a lot of spoopy/monstery players are super enthusiastic to find anyone who is open to such encounters. Every time I threw my characters safety and integrity into the hands of a monster player, they bounced it around, scratched it up a bit, then put it safely back somewhere they could play with it again in the future. The staff don't approve MPCs just so they can go and PvP people to death.

It would be nice to have a personal setting to lock it on, as a one time "LFRP Lock" command that turned it on until manually cancelled, persisting across resets.

I also support the idea of MPCs having 'invisible' access to LFRP and being able to see without being seen on it.

AMPC and MPC characters already have something akin to this. Yes. Doesn't give exact locations or names, but gives zones which are usually enough to work with

Avela

• Theatre de la Cathedrale
  • Undead Master
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2022, 10:51:25 AM »
I think if the majority of people don't want to have automatic op in every time you log in/every reset, then we shouldn't have automatic opt-in. Yes, it's only typing a few characters to opt out, but it's also only typing a few characters to opt in- and if the majority of people on the server don't want that setting it seems silly to me to enforce it. However I wouldn't mind the idea of having a message reminder pop up after ever reset, and I'd be in favor of the system remembering your choice throughout resets for those people who really do seem to like it.

Maybe a poll can be done to get more feedback and verify this thought, but skimming through the replies here it seems like there's quite a few who don't want automatic opt-in (I'm one of those people, ngl). But if we have that opt persistent through resets I think that would be a good compromise between auto-opt in and no change.
Character List:

Feyvera Le'for (Main)
Lady Ellavyra
Mi'zzerrah Rilyn'qai

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2022, 11:11:27 AM »
I don't know if this is relevant to the topic, i feel it is. Just disregard i it's not.

A bit of a time ago i tried interacting with a character that treated my character like crap. I tried a little bit more, ready to leave, and ive been contacted via tell asking to please keep interacting because she the character hadnt been able to speak with no one in days since creation. No wonder, i thought.

Now, let's be honest. Despite the stats on the character sheet, no one's character can be any smarter, wiser nor sociable than their player. Playing a grumpy character comes with an ulterior handicap: you will have to be creative in creating Rp chances for others to insert themselves in.

The reason why a character is not sociable enough is not that LFRP tag off. With so many people around, factions, hubs, MPCs, if one cannot find a way to RP with someone probably the reason is the strategy they employ is sub optimal.

I honestly never found a use for that tag. I would rather have other tags, like "NEWBIE NEED HELP" or "LOOKING FOR DUNGIE LETS GO SMASH THINGS!". I would only use that tag if i were so desperate to talk with someone that i would rather move from one hub to another in order to speak with someone ive never spoken before, rather than stand still in the barovian rain for three hours.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

yinyang

• Outlander
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2022, 02:42:40 PM »
I think if the majority of people don't want to have automatic op in every time you log in/every reset, then we shouldn't have automatic opt-in. Yes, it's only typing a few characters to opt out, but it's also only typing a few characters to opt in- and if the majority of people on the server don't want that setting it seems silly to me to enforce it. However I wouldn't mind the idea of having a message reminder pop up after ever reset, and I'd be in favor of the system remembering your choice throughout resets for those people who really do seem to like it.

Maybe a poll can be done to get more feedback and verify this thought, but skimming through the replies here it seems like there's quite a few who don't want automatic opt-in (I'm one of those people, ngl). But if we have that opt persistent through resets I think that would be a good compromise between auto-opt in and no change.

I agree with the idea of a message popup asking if you want to, and having persistent remembering of the choice.

I don't know if this is relevant to the topic, i feel it is. Just disregard i it's not.

A bit of a time ago i tried interacting with a character that treated my character like crap. I tried a little bit more, ready to leave, and ive been contacted via tell asking to please keep interacting because she the character hadnt been able to speak with no one in days since creation. No wonder, i thought.

Now, let's be honest. Despite the stats on the character sheet, no one's character can be any smarter, wiser nor sociable than their player. Playing a grumpy character comes with an ulterior handicap: you will have to be creative in creating Rp chances for others to insert themselves in.

The reason why a character is not sociable enough is not that LFRP tag off. With so many people around, factions, hubs, MPCs, if one cannot find a way to RP with someone probably the reason is the strategy they employ is sub optimal.

I honestly never found a use for that tag. I would rather have other tags, like "NEWBIE NEED HELP" or "LOOKING FOR DUNGIE LETS GO SMASH THINGS!". I would only use that tag if i were so desperate to talk with someone that i would rather move from one hub to another in order to speak with someone ive never spoken before, rather than stand still in the barovian rain for three hours.

I think you may be confused about what LFRP is. It is not a "tag" that tells people you are looking for RP, it is a tool that allows you to be discovered more easily, particularly when not in the outskirts or terraces. It has nothing to do with being unable to find RP in crowded zones, it merely helps you draw RP to other zones. No one is saying there is trouble finding RP in the crowded zones.
✯ THE VALLAKI REVIEW ✯

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2022, 02:50:09 PM »

I agree with the idea of a message popup asking if you want to, and having persistent remembering of the choice.

I think you may be confused about what LFRP is. It is not a "tag" that tells people you are looking for RP, it is a tool that allows you to be discovered more easily, particularly when not in the outskirts or terraces. It has nothing to do with being unable to find RP in crowded zones, it merely helps you draw RP to other zones. No one is saying there is trouble finding RP in the crowded zones.

I use it as a tool to either find specific types of RP that may not be broadcast server wide, or to inform others that I am actively seeking RP opportunities outside of the typical hotspots..

That said, I know some have suggested an alternative annonymous LFRP system which I would also fully support. I wonder if it would be possible to flag certain areas for this purpose. The lesser used taverns, churches, or other public buildings might be flagged as zones that might appear in an anonymous RP search or something. I'm not explaining the concept well, but it's very clear in my mind.

Shoot, even faction inclusion/exclusion might be cool. If your PC were a member of a faction they might not see members of other factions and things like that.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 02:58:45 PM by ZSRunner »