Author Topic: Blindness/deafness  (Read 501 times)

Tabula Rasa

• New to the Mists
Blindness/deafness
« on: May 18, 2022, 11:24:48 PM »
I noticed a blinded character can run through other players/npcs that would normally block your path. This is not how it should work, right?
And you cant see/target characters who attack you even if they are right next to you. Like you could if they were were invisibile by the spell.

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
Re: Blindness/deafness
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 11:29:37 AM »
When an invisible target hits you (and we'll assume the spell doesn't break) you still HEAR them. Whereas when you're blinded and deafened, you can't. Passing through creatures definitely sounds like a glitch, though.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 11:35:47 AM »
Unless there is a custom change in POTM, a deafened character can still make listen checks successfully (don't ask me why, it just is).
The only reason I can think of not being able to target a monster right next to you while blinded is if you are trying to use a spell.  You can't direct target spells while blinded.  You should be able to whack someone the old fashioned way though.  It may also be the rare occurrence of a monster being under a sanctuary spell, which is its own set of buggy behavior.

Oh, it just occurred to me -- if you are detecting creatures via listen while blind, it is possible that there is a delay between detection and your characters movement relative to the creature's movement.  You could be "seeing" an image on your screen of where you last heard the creature, but it has shifted in the gap between your detect rolls.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:44:05 AM by Merry Munchkin »

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Tabula Rasa

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 02:59:27 PM »
Let me try to clarify:
I was not using spells. I was not able to whack the enemies, because there is nothing to target.
I was standing still on detect mode with 10-15 listen and spot, for several rounds while huecuvas and zombies attacked me in melee. But I did not see them. I couldn't even try to target them because there was nothing there. I only saw in my combat log that I was being hit and losing hp.

It is completely different from when you can not target invisible target with a spell, or if you are under a darkness spell. In those cases you still see when the enemy is right next to you and as far as I know in NWN there is no listen check required when enemy is right next to you and landing hits on you with a sword.

We replicated this with another player. Hitting one another did not reveal the attacker and you could pass through players and npcs like a ghost. Nothing could block your movement because nothing was there.
But it may be easier for everyone to test this than for me to try to explain it.

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 03:04:03 PM »
The walking through people behaviour might be that you don't seem to bump into creatures you can't percieve. Otherwise, even a +200 Hide/MS stealther could still be outed by someone crashing into them. And one or more stealthers could safely body-block someone in a corner or doorway without them having any recourse to target the thing that is blocking them. If you're in stealth, other characters will seem to pass through you, like you're a ghost. So maybe if you're blinded and can't see anything, your collision also gets temporarily turned off.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 04:00:18 PM »
This is likely a hardcoded thing so not a POTM bug; you could report it to Beamdog directly though.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 04:34:15 PM »
huecuvas and zombies attacked me in melee

I know that huecuvas cast sanctuary, which often creates a similar effect to what you experienced.  Failing a will save makes them undetectable, but even passing a will save can create buggy behavior similar to what you described, including walking through NPCs.  There was a thread about it a while ago.  Other than that, I've got no clue as to what you experienced.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 06:17:55 PM »
If it was blindness by the actual blindness/deafness spell with the little icon in the corner, that'll be a beamdog issue to fix unfortunately. They will want screenshots and probably a copy of an area / module and logs, or some other means of reproducing it easily.

There are some similar situations that can cause invisible enemies to attack and be unrevealable - certain tilesets such as the temple of Harvest if the mummies get into the centre corridor and Malthor with whatever he does, if your game has begun to crash out and enemies / doors / transitions start failing to render, the darkness / ultravision bug when either spell is cast on you while affected by the other and ultravision fades.

Since the enemies fail to render at all as entities, its similar to when someone has a door override that removes the models - if its not there it doesn't exist, and can be walked through.

Usually if its stealthed creatures and regular blindness/deafness, creatures are still treated appropriately and have their collision models, so I have to admit it is rather peculiar, but not entirely impossible, and in any situation that invisible enemies may occur, is unfortunately mostly outside of dev ability to fix since they're limitations&bugs of the game engine NWN uses.