You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Colette Chevrolet  (Read 602 times)

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
Colette Chevrolet
« on: May 12, 2022, 01:37:47 AM »
In a small Hamlet near Cheateunoir, a young woman works alongside the veterinarian.  The calf in the stall whined and thrashed in pain.  The sound made Colette sick, but Dr. Whitke placed an reassuring hand on her shoulder and smiled.

"Don't worry Colette, we won't have to put this one down."

"But Doctor, it won't survive with that leg like it is... It would be a mercy to put it down... There's no way such a wound heals."

"Not naturally no... Even if we set it, the break is too bad to heal properly, naturally.  Luckily my dear Colette, we have another way."

Dr. Whitke placed his hand upon the calf's leg and chanted a prayer, a soothing light washing over the injury, the bones realigning and the calf suddenly stopped crying, standing on all four legs again.

"Doctor... What did you just do? That was incredible!"

"Well, my dear, the blessings of Hala are meant for just these sort of occasions. To ease suffering is to foster growth.  Now this calf can become a strong cow, and eventually, relieve the suffering of others as well, providing them with food."

"Oh but... The cow will still die..."

"Everything and everyone has a beginning and an end, Colette.  We all must make the journey in between.  For some it's long, others short, some it's hard, others easy and pleasant.  Such things are often beyond our control, but we can always try to make that journey as painless as possible. The repose Hala offers is meant to bring out the limitless potential of humanity.  Without relief, progress will stall and mankind will stagnate, then eventually decline. Do you understand?"

"I think so Doctor... But... Can you teach me?  I want to learn to heal injuries like that!"

"I can teach you, and I will.  But you must remember... Magic is a pill that most find hard to swallow.  They will reject the notion that you are a weaver of miracles, so you must be careful with what I will show you, understand Colette?"

"I... I think so. Everyone always makes fun of me when I tell them fairy tales are real.  Sort of like that right?"

"Exactly my dear girl.  You are quite astute, a flexible mind with limitless potential like yours is the greatest gift Hala can bestow on us, and as her disciple, it is my greatest honor to help you realize it.  Now let me teach you the prayer to mend wounds...."

Bone unbent, flesh rebound, unburdened by pain,   sorrows drowned.

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
Re: Colette Chevrolet
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 01:05:23 PM »
How little Dr. Whitke taught me about the organizations.  The Veiled Sisters in Vallaki, the Sisters of Compassion in Port-a-Lucine, plenty of people worship openly and practice the healing arts, both mundane and magical.  Magical less so still, the poor souls in Barovia are terrified of magic.  I wonder if I should've pointed out that birthing Caliban isnt really a concern for a woman in her sixties... Too snide perhaps. Still, I hope her mother gets better from my medicines. 

But, why was Dr. Whitke so secretive?  Is he from the east where he was persecuted?  I don't understand why he'd tell me nothing of other practitioners then send me off into the world to find them.  Perhaps it's his way of forcing me to keep my mind open. He never was a man to give voice to opinion very often.  Keep your mind clear of judgement and focus on the task at hand if you wish to accomplish things, he would say. 

I'll do my best Dr. Whitke.  I won't let you, myself, or Hala down. I'm already on a good path and will see it to fruition.  My connection to the weave has strengthened greatly, and I'll start studying these arcane scrolls next.  The new spell for summoning a companion is rather useful, I'm not sure I'll be telling anyone you called it the boreal boar though.

Tusk not claw, rage to ice, a shield of awe, honored sacrifice

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 12:28:11 PM »
Dear Mama and Papa,

I am safe and sound in Barovia, and am getting well established.  There are so many wonderful people here for it being called such a dark place.  Sister Amelia and Marissa both seem accepting of me, Sieur Nishan has been kind as well.  I really liked mister Wilhelm, he's a kind man with a big heart. These are all people I met working in the hospice here. Dr. Whitke was right to send me here, I'm already learning a lot of things about being a proper doctor.  I figure I'll be here about six months to study my potion making.  I'll be sure to write every week to let you know I'm okay, I know you all worry about me.  This will be well worth it though, I'll be able to earn my degree easily with all the knowledge I'm compiling here.  I'll make you proud papa, just you wait! Tell everyone I said hi and I love them!

Hugs and kisses,

Your favorite daughter

P.S.  I met so many outlanders here, they are strange but not as scary as everyone thinks!

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 03:37:14 PM »
Treatment record:

Lazula

Human female, adult, exact age unknown, appears around 25, unknown motherhood status

Presenting issue: Sound of the Vallaki bell caused her pain and discomfort as evidenced by the clutching if her ears and crying out in pain. Patient stated this issue has persisted for roughly a month, after she was killed twice in succession, once in combat and again by execution (decapitation). 

Initial findings: Examination of patient's ears uncovered inflamed ear canals. A build up of dried blood and visera in addition to natural wax was found deeping in the ear via swab. This build up was causing irritation and potentially festering linger infection.

Treatment: Boiled water with vinegar, lemon juice, and salt was prepared to flush the ear canal.  Mixture was reduced to a luke warm temperature.  Patient's head was tilted to one side to have ear facing directly up, and two standard potion vial's worth of mixture were poured into the ear canal.  The mixture was left in for 15 seconds, then patient tilted head to drain fluid into a bowl.  The mixture returned polluted with blood and ichor.  Procedure was repeated on other ear, with same results.  This procedure resulted in a short term loss of equilibrium resulting in nausea and vomiting, for about 7 minutes. 

Post Treatment Assessment: Repeated trauma of death without proper follow up care led to dried blood building up in the ear canal, causing mild infection.  Patient stated relief was immediate following the vomiting.  Follow up results will be added to this log to ensure success.

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 03:22:54 PM »
"A familiar? What's that Dr. Whitke?"

"A familiar is a spiritual companion that carries a small part of both your own and Hala's inner light.  You form a bond with a creature that is intimate and spiritual, and through that bond you may share senses and experiences with your Familiar.  Your companion will make itself known to you one day, and you will know what to do when the time is right.  It is... un unnerving experience."

"I'll just know it? A matter of pure faith?"

"Indeed my child. But I can teach you the words you'll need to know, when the time is right."

Vessel of my soul bonded by fate, carrier of my light burning eternal,
Hand in hand we walk through the gate, accompany me into dark and infernal,
Never faltering, never wavering, a union of spirit blessed by the Mother
Always circling, always returning, For us for all time there shall not be another.

RedMoney

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 02:24:39 PM »
Water

Water is the cradle of life, it flows and it nourishes, within it you can find all the things you need to survive.  When it is pure it can cleanse and quench, when it is polluted it can destroy from within and without.  It is the perfectly adaptable, fitting to any form and changing shape as needed.  It can be calm, it can be a torrent, it can be rigid and cold as ice, or it can steam and boil with passion.  It is the limitless potential that makes water so powerful.  To identify with water, one must master this constant flow from one form to the next, guiding the tide to the most useful form of energy in the moment.  You must make peace with the dichotomy and accept that all things exist in a state of constant change, but struggle to seem singular and static.

The energy that is released in changing from one state to the next is what is fuels the magics related to water.  When water changes from calm to torrential, it consumes energy to gain a heightened state of activity, but when it flows from torrential to calm, it releases that energy which can be harnessed.  Much like a water wheel, allowing that torrent to flow over yourself will charge you up for a spell, but it can also crush you if you do not know your limits.  The Broom, the Cauldron, and the Chalice are all excellent tools for channeling this energy, as they are by nature able to redirect, contain, or block the flow as needed.