You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Inflation suggestion  (Read 2535 times)

Maffa

• Dark Power
Re: Inflation suggestion
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2022, 08:53:28 AM »
i used to know people that stashed bountied items cos it's cheaper and safer than carrying cash

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Rocket

• Undead Slayer
  • Prepare for Trouble
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2022, 10:42:57 AM »
Obviously capping coin on banks is going to lead to a different currency of use.
I am wondering what is the cap on banks presently? Is it just some arbitary number what the NWN game defaults to as a max amount? like 999,999 ?

People will trade with the various commodities like ingots. Its just changing what the currency is, but still the inflation exists.

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2022, 10:44:40 AM »
There are people with actual millions stored in Banks. So who know what's the limit.

William Roberts

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • Thrown a kettle over a pub...what have you done?
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2022, 12:47:38 PM »
If players horde wealth, I can think of two reasons they might:

* They are compulsive hoarders and like to have a big number in their imaginary bank accounts. Perhaps they equate this number with some sense of security.

Why would others want to take the imaginary money from such players? Did they accumulate it by cheating? Do we like harming our fellow players psychologically and making them feel less secure just because?

* They would like to spend this money, but they find nothing worth spending it on.

Here, then, is an idea for the latter huge bank deposits:

Give PCs a one-on-one audience with a Dark Lord for some amount of gold (1 million perhaps). The player "donates" to the Dark Lord this 1 million token of esteem and receives a Dark Lord NFT in return (a bauble with some nice lore text that conveys no advantage other than "I met a Dark Lord and all I got was this lousy tee shirt").

At DM discretion and interest, the meeting might not go as planned  :mrgreen:

Beauty like a tightened bow, a kind that is not natural in an age like this.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2022, 03:53:27 PM »
Avarice is also a sin...

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Forte

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • He is a king whom emperors have served.
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2022, 04:14:07 PM »
Characters who accumulate that insane wealth earned it in their own ways. Usually through intense looting, merchanting, or otherwise, it takes a different kind of investment. Of course Jerry the Fighter isn’t going to make the same coin as Columbo the Crypt Raider, else what would be the point of Crypt Raiders?

Coin is spread around, the economy has kept flowing despite the invisibility changes, and gear is still getting around a good amount. The current gold sinks are fine as they are.
Dzenifér Uralkodó - HATEFUL

BwpsychoName

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2022, 05:00:09 PM »
I play one of the aforementioned hyper-wealthy PCs and dedicated loot goblin.

Here's what I'd like to suggest (and as I'm not a Dev I don't know how difficult it would be to implement these. I have no Dev skill myself, but if these would require just some busy-work of some sort, I'd be glad to sign up for that.):

-More Appraise gear, and make the drop rates for this gear higher. Selling to NPCs is the best way for PCs to accumulate wealth. IMO this should be made easier for low levels to accomplish, as even a small investment (such as from gear) makes a huge difference. Adding appraise to the new tailoring system comes to mind. In no way should this (selling to NPCs) be made harder to do, as that punishes the classes/players that already struggle making coin.

-Adjust how banks work. Implement the 'Influence adjusts tax rates' across all banks, as it does in Vallaki. Also make a flat increase in taxes, dependent on how much coin is currently in an 'account' with that bank. (5% for under X coin, 10% for under Y, 15% for under Z, etc, etc).

-More bounty boards in higher level domains. 'Fathead' is a way for PCs who aren't usually able to accumulate wealth to get a good chunk for not a lot of work, but this results in it getting camped. Adding more options to a variety of domains will alleviate the strain put on this one method.

I dont think there needs to be more 'gold sinks' for rich PCs, there's plenty currently available. With the invisibility changes Ninjalooting is at a good place on the server, it requires you to spend money on scrolls/multiple sets of gear to accomplish what used to be trivially easy. Keep it where it's at.

If players want to make more coin, there's a skill and feat-tree that's designed exactly for that, I recommend it highly. Also, make friends with bards. 

As Forte said:
Usually through intense looting, merchanting, or otherwise, it takes a different kind of investment. Of course Jerry the Fighter isn’t going to make the same coin as Columbo the Crypt Raider, else what would be the point of Crypt Raiders?
There are tools available to PCs to increase the amount of coin they make, but it takes time and effort and factoring in the build.

On a separate note
- Invest in lower level players. Equipping them and financing their crafting operations.
This. The low level experience can be rough, especially for players without a group, giving them a hand could be pocket change in your eyes but a huge boost to them.

I'm guilty of not doing this as much as I should, but will change that. I encourage others to do the same.

-narwhal-

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2022, 04:02:10 AM »
Wipe bank accounts

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2022, 04:23:07 AM »
The economy is fine, there's nothing that a character needs that can't be obtained with ten thousand, considering how prevalent and outright better in the vast majority of cases crafted gear is. Items like sneak or appraisal gear pay for themselves, etc. I'd like to see more gold sinks because I've personally reached a point where there's basically nothing for me to spend money on outside of DM events and maybe some highly overpriced luxury item (that again I don't need), but in general? Things are fine.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2022, 05:46:15 AM »
My take is that the economy is fine for an MMO lite game, but struggles hard to be representative of a proper RPG, and my assumption is we considered ourselves to be the latter, not the former.

Kireek

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2022, 10:57:02 AM »

Give PCs a one-on-one audience with a Dark Lord for some amount of gold (1 million perhaps). The player "donates" to the Dark Lord this 1 million token of esteem and receives a Dark Lord NFT in return (a bauble with some nice lore text that conveys no advantage other than "I met a Dark Lord and all I got was this lousy tee shirt").

At DM discretion and interest, the meeting might not go as planned  :mrgreen:

THIS, this is actually the solution you are looking for in the game folks. You see, the solution of more banks fees/taxes n stuff doesn't fix the underlying issue where there is basically infinite wealth generation with a finite amount of things to spend it on and no real way to take money out of the economy except via punishing players.

The game needs to have inbuilt systems where investing more money will net some reward- for example, CRAFTING is an example of a system where the player puts in a decent chunk of coin to master- that money is out of the system, less is floating around..

The problem is finding a good way to reward players in this system without giving those who are just really savy at money generation a huge advantage of some sort. Once there is some mechanic in game that everyone wants to throw insane amounts of money in, all of a sudden it increases the value of money by quite a bit. Right now, money has no worth beyond a certain point for gear becuase once you hit a certain point.. you really just want like or in kind items or services, not actual coin. Trading actual coin is a net negative becuase you lose something rare  for a number.. which you might not be able to spend on something rare. It's better to trade rare items.

But if money actually had mechanical systems that provided some form of bonus or incentive, with diminishing returns the more you threw in..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 10:58:50 AM by Kireek »

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2022, 11:11:52 AM »
1.  I don't think interaction with Dark Lords is supposed to be the equivalent of getting a selfie with a major Hollywood celebrity.  More like getting trapped in the house in the dark with the weirdo from "Silence of the Lambs".  Not sure if Dark Lord closure is something people would pay a cool million to experience (but maybe I'm wrong).

2.  This is just another variation on the same theme of "we need to find some new and creative gold sinks".  I am all for this, as long as it is within the appropriate Gothic horror genre  (celebrity selfies are not it).

3.  On one of the servers I used to play on, DMs would do silent auctions of unique DM-created magic items, and some of these items were only useful in conjunction with previoiusly auctioned DM-items ("collect the set of three and get a cool DM thingie").  If you want something that is more in line with Gothic horror, periodically have a Dark Lord offer a silent auction of items -- each unique, each highly desirable, and each corrupted with an unavoidable curse.  Some folks might pay a lot of coin for an item that will advance their RP and further their journey down to damnation.  You could even make some items part of a collection (three parts of a staff, or a 5 jewels of a crown, etc.) that must be combined to create something amazing and cursed -- different PCs could end up with the parts, and have to cooperate to figure out how to combine them (and who gets the final item).  I see a lot of high level PvP in the future.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Kireek

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2022, 11:13:40 AM »
Just thought of it...

Rare book auctions from past plots that probably don't exist anywhere in game anymore becuase the character who owned the book is retired/missing/whatever.

Bidding starts 250k a book, not allowed to copy it... get a chance to some fun secret about the game.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2022, 11:23:02 AM »
I think we should consider that we can't reallistically expect to spend POTMBucks on things that have actual real world value.

And unfortunately, the time and effort of our DM Team, do have real world value. Any system based on the exchange of gold for DM services, is greating the expectation that you are able to spend your in game efforts on their time, time they are now not spending doing anything else.

As a result, much as I agree these would all be cool things, I don't see this being praticable.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2022, 06:46:23 PM »
I think we should consider that we can't reallistically expect to spend POTMBucks on things that have actual real world value.

And unfortunately, the time and effort of our DM Team, do have real world value. Any system based on the exchange of gold for DM services, is greating the expectation that you are able to spend your in game efforts on their time, time they are now not spending doing anything else.

As a result, much as I agree these would all be cool things, I don't see this being praticable.

here i was hoping i could bu...hire them to clean my whole house, and remove unwanted plants in my garden and clean the windows.
while i could yell at them for an extra fee.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

HirtZirk

• Outlander
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2022, 12:56:12 PM »
I thougth about this on another thread but peraps an good solution would be making crafted Items degrade (time, use, dmg or any other reason) could be a way to nerf them witout nerfing they use. also would be great for crafter and would improve that gold sink people mention.

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
  • "Maudlyn" Argali Dupont, Lazula Zhuelke, and more
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2022, 01:08:07 PM »
On my server ages ago.. I used Item CHARGES as part of a durability script! Worked awesomely. Do recommend.

King Pickle

• Undead Master
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2022, 02:10:13 PM »
Players who suffer from inflation most are the ones who don't have time or just don't want to spend time grinding.
Its not going to help them if they have to spend more on their equipment.
If crafted items require maintenance and looted don't, price of the loot isn't going to go down.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 02:12:09 PM by King Pickle »