You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Enchanted Ancient Dire Crocodile Boots - Wrong Stats  (Read 909 times)

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
Enchanted Ancient Dire Crocodile Boots - Wrong Stats
« on: March 29, 2022, 10:36:21 PM »

The first screenshot is what the boots should be and the second is what I received just now.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Enchanted Ancient Dire Crocodile Boots - Wrong Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 10:40:24 PM »
That's not a bug; we toned down skill bonuses from enchanting on items recently with the introduction of tailoring.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 10:46:02 PM »
This seems like a change that perhaps people could have been warned about, so they wouldn't enchant things they no longer want.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 10:47:22 PM »
This seems like a change that perhaps people could have been warned about, so they wouldn't enchant things they no longer want.

Indeed, it was lost in a sea of changes. That happens.

Darkthrasher

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 10:51:22 PM »
That's not a bug; we toned down skill bonuses from enchanting on items recently with the introduction of tailoring.
Was this change supposed to modify the skills of everyones current enchanted gear as well? I have just looked on one of my characters with similar boots (plated) And the skills are the same as they were.
I dont mean to call out and cripple everyones enchanted gear a little, but in the spirit of fairness shouldnt the items enchanted currently on characters, also change?
Ignis Brimstone, Disciple of Solusek Ro
Remus Greenbough, Warden of Nature
Gareth Rex (Closured)
Devora Zianhur

Not as active:
Vogul Basinma, of the Black raven tribe
Bandus Strom, The Eel
Affirrazac

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 10:54:01 PM »

Are the XP values also meant to be this misleading?

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 10:56:23 PM »
I dont mean to call out and cripple everyones enchanted gear a little, but in the spirit of fairness shouldnt the items enchanted currently on characters, also change?

We could have but opted not to this time; it's not the first nor the last time we'll adjust enchanted (or even non-enchanted) crafting statistics. When the changes are major, such as when we greatly rebalanced enchanting, we allow people to refund their items (recouping XP, etc.), but this change wasn't deemed major enough for that.

Are the XP values also meant to be this misleading?

Uhh, you should know by now how the XP messages work. If not, just to clarify, this is the regular NwN message telling you you've lost a level; has nothing to do with how much XP you actually lost. We never display how much XP you gain or lose.

Dardonas

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 10:58:55 PM »
Was this change supposed to modify the skills of everyones current enchanted gear as well? I have just looked on one of my characters with similar boots (plated) And the skills are the same as they were.

I agree.  This needs to effect all players or none of them.  I just made a post in another thread about how it seems that many of the new design changes rewards older generations of PCs while newer ones are put at a severe disadvantage.  We still see characters popping up with 9th circle scrolls from back in the day when they could be bought from vendors.  We still see the same rich PCs running around with grandfathered items.  It's becoming a pattern.  On my ideal version of the server, people would close out old characters and those old items and gear would be cycled out, but now all this change does is promote not closing characters even more because they have stronger and more unique equipment.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 11:07:14 PM by Dardonas »

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 11:03:10 PM »
My bad, I'd forgotten how easy it is to distinguish between POTM's custom systems and base NWN.

Case closed.

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 12:17:02 AM »

I agree.  This needs to effect all players or none of them.  I just made a post in another thread about how it seems that many of the new design changes rewards older generations of PCs while newer ones are put at a severe disadvantage.  We still see characters popping up with 9th circle scrolls from back in the day when they could be bought from vendors.  We still see the same rich PCs running around with grandfathered items.  It's becoming a pattern.  On my ideal version of the server, people would close out old characters and those old items and gear would be cycled out, but now all this change does is promote not closing characters even more because they have stronger and more unique equipment.
Punishing people for holding onto items because they were either inactive or simply because of a, let's be honest, needless and/or bad balancing change that altered the item seems like a really weird thing to do. Most of the time these items don't go back into circulation because people are unwilling to let go of them. I fail to see how this is at all a big problem.

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 12:23:10 AM »
Uhh, you should know by now how the XP messages work....
Also, this was unnecessarily condescending.

McDuck

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2022, 08:36:17 AM »
To be fair. The Enchanting is realy misleading in a bad way. Tip i give to people do not enchant armors or what so ever till a certain point in ther lvls.

its quite a chunk you take out wile the device states otherwise it ads almost an other 30% ontop

And blaming this on the game design i find verry ofputting, Its a device you lot put in not the game it self. Values can be calulated and re-valuated only by Devs.

And the comment you must know by now.

Manny do not even know the enchanting device exists cause its muffeld away in Port. Or behind a locked door in Hazlan

It is almost a forgotten trade wich hardly anny one pay's atention to unless made aware of. Recently influx is that cause of most of the players are finaly made aware of it that they can actualy enchant ther items.

MJ_Johansson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 08:56:23 AM »
To be fair. The Enchanting is realy misleading in a bad way. Tip i give to people do not enchant armors or what so ever till a certain point in ther lvls.

its quite a chunk you take out wile the device states otherwise it ads almost an other 30% ontop

And blaming this on the game design i find verry ofputting, Its a device you lot put in not the game it self. Values can be calulated and re-valuated only by Devs.

And the comment you must know by now.

Manny do not even know the enchanting device exists cause its muffeld away in Port. Or behind a locked door in Hazlan

It is almost a forgotten trade wich hardly anny one pay's atention to unless made aware of. Recently influx is that cause of most of the players are finaly made aware of it that they can actualy enchant ther items.

It does, infact, not add more XP cost than is stated, but really- When you lose a level due to enchanting it will say "Experience lost 13000" for example, if you're level 14, because that's the amount of exp it takes to get from lvl 13 to 14. But in actuallity, you only lost as much as you were supposed to lose. In this case 8k. There is no "30% XP cost increase." This is because on your character page, it will always say the exact amount of XP for the level you are at, and not how much you've gained since, that information is hidden.
"Let love guide you, not fear."

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2022, 08:35:55 PM »
My own query is, if an item is re-enchanted to a new or same person, will it drop down to the new skill bonuses that match the material or are the enchanting values locked in at the time of enchanting?

Enchanted items are less likely to be grandfathered, and skill bonuses outside of detection and stealth aren't as certain among the community of causing win and lose conditions in PvP and PvE, but I am curious as to what effect attempted grandfathering of those items would do should someone want to get a couple of points of discipline up on their competition? / rivals? / party members?