Author Topic: Grandfathering the Gothic Earth Setting  (Read 1728 times)

zDark Shadowz

Re: Grandfathering the Gothic Earth Setting
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2022, 07:34:31 PM »
As someone who has to face real life racism and issues like that, coming into Ravenloft and seeing racist tropes against dark skinned people and literal slavers from GE — is really awesome. It adds a lot to my experience and enriches my enjoyment of the setting as a whole when Portuguese slavers ask a dark-skinned Drow who their master is. I am for keeping the setting.
That does seem quite engaging since drow are usually masters of their own slaves, the dichotomy sounds pleasant.

eddymakaveli

• New to the Mists
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2022, 07:45:06 PM »
As someone who has to face real life racism and issues like that, coming into Ravenloft and seeing racist tropes against dark skinned people and literal slavers from GE — is really awesome. It adds a lot to my experience and enriches my enjoyment of the setting as a whole when Portuguese slavers ask a dark-skinned Drow who their master is. I am for keeping the setting.
That does seem quite engaging since drow are usually masters of their own slaves, the dichotomy sounds pleasant.

If you don’t see the issue with someone dark-skinned being immediately likened to a slave IC, in our fantasy setting - then I don’t have anything else to really say.

KovosDatch

• Dark Lord
  • Stinkcoin mint
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2022, 07:46:35 PM »

If you don’t see the issue with someone dark-skinned being immediately likened to a slave IC, in our fantasy setting - then I don’t have anything else to really say.

We also have non-humans being seen as slaves and test subjects in Hazlan.

Cassius

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2022, 07:47:21 PM »
Thread is locked now ok?

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2022, 07:49:50 PM »
GE should really just be renamed 'Masque of the Red Death' because that's what it is. The teams been incredibly lenient to some GE characters, my own included. The source book is ancient and shows with how it views certain topics IE islam/Muslims. I'm not 100%, but I believe making a flat 'earth' character is not allowed but don't quote me on that. The option for anyone wanting to make a earth equivalent character is MotRD.

The issue stems with how the mechanics in this setting work. One example mentioned in the thread is that christianity is labelled as 'all good alignments' whereas the Islamic faith is viewed as 'All lawful alignments'. A statement like that is one of the 'problematic' issues people are having with the setting. It's one example, I don't have them all because I don't know MotRD but I hope you can see the issues people from various cultures and walks of life would take with that. Because unlike with say; Vistani, Falks etc, people can at least point to them and say: 'oh, it's an analog of this culture, but it's still different. cool cool. This one however is straight up saying: Christianity good, Muslims might be bad. It's offensive on a real world level.

My take. Banning GE is just unfair to any current GE players who, as EO has already stated majority are great at roleplaying their characters. Grandfathering GE would not be a terrible idea, nor would making them be Application only. The issue with it being an app is once again, how many people it takes to vote on an app and how long it takes to get everyone to vote on it. It would work, but at what cost? I think personally if we intend to still use 'GE', it should be renamed in the game to 'Masque of the Red Death' instead and clear expectations need to be placed on it. Furthermore it would require the devs and dms to sit down with this book in their laps and edit the things that are a problem. Which, from what I'm told, is a lot. Perhaps if someone from the community would like to step up and do that work it might speed things up?

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2022, 08:09:17 PM »
As not to leave any sour tastes in anyone's mouth this subject has been taken for internal review as of this message, so we're going to be taking a close look at Masque of the Red Death and how it can be revised and re-implemented with new guidelines and expectations. This will take time however, so please bear with us.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2022, 10:15:41 PM »
We've updated our Gothic Earth resources to streamline them and bring them closer to the Masque of the Red Death setting:

Gothic Earth Resource Thread
Gothic Earth PC Information Thread
Clerical Magic on Gothic Earth

We encourage everyone interested in the Masque of the Red Death setting to take the time to read these topics as they detail how things work on Gothic Earth.