Author Topic: Rental Storages  (Read 624 times)

mstrlzard

• Undead Slayer
  • ~Akadus~ "'Evening cutter!"
Rental Storages
« on: January 19, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »
EO once mentioned that having a persistent storage for a rental, saving items in a container so a reset doesn't wipe them, would cause a huge performance issue- and obviously we don't want any more of that.

However, rather than having physically stored items- I think many might agree that SOME way of being able to stow away items in the safety of their rental should be allowed. My suggestion would be that each rental is capable of having a "vault" storage where their items turn into a written claim much like the bank without having to pay a fee.
😳

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
Re: Rental Storages
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 11:58:34 AM »
I've long been of the opinion that if you're paying for a rental, it should come with its own "Storage." The easiest way to do this would be to take the exact same script the bank uses with the exact same result, but put a chest in each rental where you can freely swap things out.

For convenience, these can be fairly easily locked to location rather than room -- e.g., all chests in the hotel just register as "stored at Hotel" not "stored in guest suite 2" or whatever. That way they don't have to code fifty separate rooms, and also so that if you lose your rental or switch rooms you can get your items back by asking someone to do it for you. Extra easy would be putting a safe in the lobby of said hotel that does the same thing, but the NPC in question charges a silly amount of money for the service if you don't have an active key. That would both allow people who lost their room to get their stuff back while discouraging people who aren't renting a room from abusing the service.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 06:25:20 PM »
I agree with this but I don't want to see rentals become any more of a commodity than they already are. Their prices are already way too high because they are one of the few money sinks on the server. Hopefully more people will have access to them before the chosen few are given yet another banking function.

I don't like rentals being anything more than cosmetic, but this would probably motivate more people to go out of their way and get and maintain a room at the Tenements if it makes sense for their character while we await more rentals of smaller sizes.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 09:26:47 PM »
I agree with this but I don't want to see rentals become any more of a commodity than they already are. Their prices are already way too high because they are one of the few money sinks on the server. Hopefully more people will have access to them before the chosen few are given yet another banking function.

I don't like rentals being anything more than cosmetic, but this would probably motivate more people to go out of their way and get and maintain a room at the Tenements if it makes sense for their character while we await more rentals of smaller sizes.

I think I can safely say places such as the tenements (which are shared by multiple people) wont have storage in them. If such a thing were agreed upon, you'd be looking at warehouses/shop fronts I think.

mstrlzard

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 09:51:37 PM »
I think I can safely say places such as the tenements (which are shared by multiple people) wont have storage in them. If such a thing were agreed upon, you'd be looking at warehouses/shop fronts I think.

This is true. If this were to be implemented it should first belong to shop/warehouse/spacious rentals where storage would matter the most.

However, this mainly addresses the awkwardness of how the average person is unable to store their armor or clothes in their wardrobes in their tenements, ideally to leave behind a few items. Each smaller rentals/tenements cant really have persistent physical storages, but maybe the whole complex would share the one script where they're allowed to store X amount of items in it like a bank. Each room would just have a container (assumed to be a armoire) where putting an item in it would turn it into a "tenements" claim, and they can only do this a few times. It would work all the better when someone gets evicted from their rental, they are capable of speaking with the NPC owner of the property and be able to turn in claims to get them back.
😳

PrimetheGrime

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:04:25 PM »
Not sure if you can restrict who touches the storage or not tbh. My guess is anyone that can click on it could theoretically use it. There's also the fact that most if not all the current rentals are near a bank/storage area (Dlew and Vallaki) within easy reach.

mstrlzard

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 10:17:14 PM »
The idea is that there's no fee tied to putting an item in your own room.
😳

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 10:36:19 PM »
The str cap has been increased already. Get over it. Pick what you care about. To be completely honest I see posts on the daily about how things should be easier when things have been given to players with 0 regard for balance for years and years to the detriment of the server and I just don't see how you could in all seriousness ask for these things without knowing that they take away from what should be balancing the game as a whole.

People who actually invest in strength can already carry around an absurd amount of things. So what does that mean for people who invest a small amount in to it? Or even those that invest nothing?

I suppose even people who never try and become physically stronger should be able to walk around with multiple hundreds of pounds?

Nope.
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 10:50:46 PM »
Yeah I am with Mcnastea on this. Also, it doesn't make much sense to me. The main purpose to me would be to have a red vardo type of storage system which despite never playing a vardo, I like that their perks come with string attached. I could maybe see the need if the warehouse rental locations didn't have storage right next to them, but paying 5-25 fang to store your uber heavy item isn't much to ask IMO.

PrimetheGrime

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 01:56:46 AM »
To add, Players can make plenty of coin to pay for storing items (which are rarely higher than a few hundred gold to put away for the really good stuff). It's a system everyone has access to and a relatively painless process. To implement a custom bank/storage script into each rental would be, in my personal opinion, a bit too much hassle to worry on. If you're strapped for cash, you should hunt around and see who's hiring for jobs to pay for your expenses

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 02:00:08 AM »

The idea would be that you can hide a few items in there, under the bed or inside the mattress, something like that.

If there were a storage cap that would be ideal, just like there needs to be a placeable cap.

IMO you should have to pay for this feature because it's cheap enough. It's only 500-1000 gold for the most expensive items, and only paid once. Think of the GP cost as a justification for putting effort into hiding it properly or even bribing whoever owns the property not to touch an object of great value.

If we're gonna talk bigger picture, magic bags should be removed before this feature is considered "overpowered" and "unbalanced." At least you have to actually go to the location to pick it up. The real reason we'd probably never see this is the tedium involved in getting all these new storages running.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Glass Cannon

• Dark Power
  • Friendly Merchant
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 07:37:57 AM »
Honestly, free rental storage isn't even that big of a RVT perk; there's loads of factions that now offer storage, and I think the Ezrites now also have the benefit of having storage in both Vallaki and Port, making them the 2nd faction that can get heavy stuff across easily.
"Aristocrats and criminals have a lot in common. They’re both selfish, get bored easily, and have access to wads of cash they didn’t have to work honestly to get. The topper? Neither have any interest in bourgeois rules or morality."