You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Curfew - catastrophic success  (Read 6556 times)

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
Re: Curfew - catastrophic success
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2022, 06:39:05 PM »
We'll tone down the power of night spawns in Vallaki itself but we won't remove them altogether. It should make it easier to navigate through the city at night but not to linger there (which goes against curfew and setting themes).

I'm not sure I like this. Most people traveling through the city at night will continue to be sewer jumpers but a little less to worry about.

I don't think Vallaki isn't an attraction because of the rats, is what I'm trying to say. A hostile game environment does nurture roleplay.

I think where we're really going wrong in the general tone of this thread is that from the very beginning, there's this idea that just because the prancing nymph or tigan's rest are near the outskirts, people will want to RP in those places. But these places do not have a thriving RP scene, activity is sporadic and typically event-centric.

When it comes to expectations vs. reality, the reality is players don't want to RP in those places because most of the idle RP happening in the outskirts revolves around player merchants dropping chests on the floor for an hour or two at a time, which is something you might get in trouble for at a tavern. It's long been recognised both by staff and the rest of the playerbase that outskirts RP isn't "Barovian RP" except in the case of the grumbling guards. The "solution" to this "problem" does, in my eyes, require a more committed change in location than the curfew.

There should be a push to incentivise people to RP in Vallaki and engage with the themes Barovia is all about, rather than making night travel safer for the few people who ignore every warning to go out after dark. I'm not saying I want to see Deep City Alpha Rats invade Vallaki, but I can't see where further defanging Barovia helps.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Mona

• Undead Slayer
  • icon: The Letter, Eugene de Blaas
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2022, 06:58:54 PM »
We'll tone down the power of night spawns in Vallaki itself but we won't remove them altogether. It should make it easier to navigate through the city at night but not to linger there (which goes against curfew and setting themes).

Thank you so much.

I hope it'll have the effect of helping people ease more into the city at night; maybe less of a feeling of being "trapped", since it'll be easier to traverse. This change makes me happy.
ACTIVE:
Elisabeta Gárdonyi
Arwyl an-Cirdyn

PAUSED:
Ladislau Vacarescu
Janak Rashenka

DISCORD: vantamasque#0001

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2022, 07:00:53 PM »
There should be a push to incentivise people to RP in Vallaki and engage with the themes Barovia is all about, rather than making night travel safer for the few people who ignore every warning to go out after dark. I'm not saying I want to see Deep City Alpha Rats invade Vallaki, but I can't see where further defanging Barovia helps.
If it means no more giant aberrant rats eviscerating the citadel because they have the keys to the place and not a one of the npcs nearby can pierce their hide (even though the city sells silver), so much the better.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2022, 07:04:43 PM »
Can't they just be flagged to not be able to enter the citadel automatically until they are fixed to respect the lock?

That's way more an issue with the door setup than the dangers of the night. (NPC) Guards shouldn't stand a chance against the things that paralyse the entire population into fearful apathy. But they should also not have to chance it at all when in the citadel.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2022, 04:59:45 PM »

just the warehouse district, the rest doesn't seem needed.

as you "force" for a lack of better phrasing people indoors, they will craft, crafting means encumbered.
encumbered leads to wererats and dead, death leads to suffering and suffering to the dar..nvm you get what i meant.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

slash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2022, 02:38:29 PM »
Here's a neat idea. Why not spread out the delivery pickups and drop-offs a bit, around the city? Maybe have letters come from Houlgrave's or a book delivery. Deliver ore to the smithies. Bring fish to the market, etc. This would diversify the locations people end up travelling to (making Vallaki seem like more than a three-transition straight line) and encourage people to explore to find new things. It could also be designed with the goal of guiding players to locations where RP could happen. There really isn't much to do in the Warehouse, but if your deliveries brought you to the library, there's a separate reason to actually be there that could grab your attention and retain people for some RP. It might also be useful to have deliveries that can only be picked up and turned in during specific ranges of time, and I think that too could be used to help guide people into more diverse and organically formed RP scenarios.
"My soul is overflowing with obeisant reverence, and Your Most Illustrious Excellency of benignity, to you I most humbly bow." -Francesco Ferdinando Alfieri.

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2022, 02:56:33 PM »
While that's a good idea and I'd like to see it, I think people would end up optimizing a route through the city and it would simply become another OOC run for low-level characters. Not the worst thing, as it would encourage people to see places they might not always see in Vallaki, but then exploration in and of itself should be rewarded as well, it doesn't have to have a structured task attached to it.
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2022, 07:17:06 PM »
It also might backfire like the oxen who kept finding their way into the Miner's Merriment.

There is a double meaning there. Whether Vallaki gets its own municipally minded RP scene or not, the people doing quests and deliveries are the last ones we can expect to stick around.