You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Master/Apprentice XP tool  (Read 1611 times)

Maffa

• Dark Power
Re: Master/Apprentice XP tool
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2022, 12:56:14 PM »
The more i think about it, the more a mechanical tool that would create a "crafter faction" or a merchantile guild, so to speak, sounds appealing to me.

I cannot find any use for Muse. It is misplaced, since muses helped artists and certainly didnt help smelting iron ores or to slap tannins on leather, and also it's a RP cul-de-sac... the muse has to stay there, even without any knowledge about the craft in question, and there is little hook to continue with the relationship, crafting wise. If master and apprentice had mechanical advantages to be close, you would have groups working together, and creating stuff together, with an incentive to do so.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2022, 02:56:07 PM »
The more i think about it, the more a mechanical tool that would create a "crafter faction" or a merchantile guild, so to speak, sounds appealing to me.

I cannot find any use for Muse. It is misplaced, since muses helped artists and certainly didnt help smelting iron ores or to slap tannins on leather, and also it's a RP cul-de-sac... the muse has to stay there, even without any knowledge about the craft in question, and there is little hook to continue with the relationship, crafting wise. If master and apprentice had mechanical advantages to be close, you would have groups working together, and creating stuff together, with an incentive to do so.

Although muse receives this name, rping it as "professional beauty" is only part of the rp. It also could be considered a caring and nurturing mentor.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2022, 03:22:06 PM »
... it's a skill one has to get at char creation. it's the exact opposite of that.

this is a skill one should get automatically once they reach the mastery of their craft, not something one throws in on a lvl2 char.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2022, 03:34:09 PM »
... it's a skill one has to get at char creation. it's the exact opposite of that.

this is a skill one should get automatically once they reach the mastery of their craft, not something one throws in on a lvl2 char.

I am sure everyone had dozens of teachers in life. Only a few could be considered life-changing.

That is muse: many people can teach many things. Not everyone can make you dedicate yourself to a task.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Barovian Female Peasant 2.0

• Undead Slayer
  • Don't trust the Old Noapte.
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2022, 03:39:11 PM »
RPing Muse can be as simple as organizing the crafter's work area, handing them needed materials to make the whole job easier either RP tools or actual items, provide some manner of entertainment during the craft, or, I guess, being pretty and standing there. I wouldn't limit myself to just a 'pretty spirit - face' with muse. You can re-flavour it your own way. I disagree it is a cul-de-sac.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2022, 10:10:16 PM »
Yeah ive never had any issue finding a compelling way to roleplay my muse.  Most the time he functions more as a motivational speaker than anything else  :lol: Someones got to keep you from throwing your smiths hammer in lake Zarovich when you make copper daggers for a year straight.