You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Exp Soft Cap  (Read 541 times)

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
Exp Soft Cap
« on: January 08, 2022, 10:44:18 PM »
I've recently started dabbling on the action server, and I was surprised to see the soft cap to exp in effect there. It seems silly to have any sort of penalty to doing the only thing to do on the action server. My suggestion is to remove that feature, if possible.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Exp Soft Cap
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 11:37:36 PM »
Seems to me like there should be no caps on any XP gains and no RPXP on the action server.

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 11:49:53 PM »
I've yet to see any exp messages gained for chatting/explaining some game mechanics to people, so I'm inclined to say there isn't any RP EXP there.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 03:19:39 AM »
I've recently started dabbling on the action server, and I was surprised to see the soft cap to exp in effect there. It seems silly to have any sort of penalty to doing the only thing to do on the action server. My suggestion is to remove that feature, if possible.
I used to play a lot in the action with my friends, and asked the same back then. I was answered that the action can stay up as long as it doesn't cost much in terms of management. Having two different process managing xp is one of those costs, because that would split the server in two and cause problems when updates are pushed.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 07:24:29 AM »
There is already at least one different between the two servers in how exp is handled. Kind of gives the impression is certainly is possible

Yesper

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 12:39:53 PM »
Most of the updates being pushed between the two servers do not interact with how xp is handled. Isolated services can be updated independent of each other. Logically, unless server content updates operate similar to Windows updates, there will be little to no additional "cost" associated with updating both. Removing the xp cap seems like a reasonable enough request given how the action server operates, and the doubled
 programming argument is moot.