Author Topic: Elemental Essence Bugged (?)  (Read 5113 times)

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
Re: Elemental Essence Bugged (?)
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2022, 07:03:37 PM »
Generally speaking I don't worry too much about balance these days - I think it's been stated multiple times that the server doesn't really care about balance but about PnP (which is why the thread was made in the first place) and sometimes even then just doing whatever the whim is - but sometimes I like ranting into the void. This is one of those times, and I'm going to spoiler stuff because of how long this gets.

Spoiler: Spot Debate • show
The idea that druids take some special effort to be the top spotters is wild to me. Even assuming you do nothing but put points into Spot, you're a Wisdom-focused class (most detectors aren't) with access to the strongest Wisdom buff in the game (scaling to +10 at 20) and access to self-cast (and therefore fully scaling) True Seeing. With significantly less external prep than a stealther needs, you're comfortably able to challenge their mythical invisibility, particularly considering that their Hide needs to beat your Spot by 20 to be meaningful. The feats just let you push it even higher, or skimp harder on gear.

It's true that jamming all 4 elemental essences is unrealistic. With 5 uses at 14, you'd only do that if you were going to make another player very angry about elemental essence stacking, or if you need to kill a particular boss/last leg of a dungeon. In general, a feat is worth 1d6 damage, especially damage that stacks with everything and is impossible to resist - there are very few benefits from feats stronger than that - but it does have diminishing returns due to the use limitation (and how weak Extra Wildshape is). The fact that it's unrealistic to stack them should mean that nerfing it so they don't stack doesn't even matter! If it's not realistic to use them in concert, then why not return it to PnP parity?

I actually wouldn't mind, if this change went through, seeing Druid get access to more Wildshape uses. If you take Extra Wildshape, you cap out at 8 by level 18. It's enough, but I understand some people don't want to rest in dungeons, or want to form swap more for RP and whatnot - and it's certainly made tight by all of the secondary uses for it we've added. Additionally, I'd really like every form feat to have at least one designated combat form that is equivalent between the feats. Polar Bear and Crocodile and Gorilla, or what have you, should mostly be an RP choice rather than a statistical choice. The loss of sourcebook parity there would be less bad than continuing to make Druids feel suboptimal for taking regionally-appropriate Wild Shapes. Yes, RP above Mechanics, but it's been proven that player psychology encourages them to optimize the fun out of things, and I see so many polar bears.

Spoiler: Feat Scarcity and Example Build • show
A non-human pure druid gets 14 feats by 20. It's not a glut, but it's enough. You can fit the archery suite, Imp Crit and WF for your bow, four essences, two metamagics, Frozen Form, and two spot feats if you wanted the most extreme example of having everything. Plenty of Druids seem to not care about how easy it is for them to spot, and plenty don't use bows, so that's between five and seven feats opened up.

If I'm building a druid, though, I acknowledge the diminishing returns. I stop at two essences. Skillpoints at 14 Int are plenty to take full Spot, Parry, Spellcraft, and Concentration, full CC'd Discipline, and room to wiggle left over - maybe some Animal Empathy for flavor and memes. Extend and Empower Metamagics, SF/GSF Conj, Hawk's Vision, SF Spot, Sharp Eyes put me at 9 out of 14 feats. With five feats left (eight, if I told Spot to Get Ye Gone) I have more than enough room to specialize my Druid however I please.

Let's say I want to be an archer. I pick up Zen Archery, Point Blank Shot, and Rapid Shot, as well as Imp Crit and Weapon Focus Longbow to fill out the last five (though realistically I take them early and slow-roll the Spell/Skill Foci until later, when they're more useful). I use Owl's Wisdom to pump myself up to 31 Wisdom for a meaty attribute bonus to AB. I extract plenty of value out of my Mighty bonus with Aura of Vitality, Ram's Might, and (Empowered) Bull's. I have 1d6 damage against all enemies, or 2d6 if I want to push it for whatever reason. I can use Frost Weapon myself, if I'm lacking in damage varnishes.

Spoiler: Drawbacks of Example vs Other Archers • show
I am reliant on other casters, varnishes, or enchantment to acquire EB for my bow. This, alongside HiPS (which I can likely see through), is the largest edge the Ranger has over me: ready access to a +5 EB, full BAB, and +2d6 Divine against their favored enemies (which will probably be Undead, Outsiders, Humans, Shapeshifters, and a flavor fifth - maybe Elves, if they really hate Drow - and so can be considered to be active against "most" enemies).

An Arcane Archer will usually do more damage and always have higher AB than them and absolutely, always should. It's the entire fantasy of the class.

A feat fighter does more damage and has more AB in most cases than all other archers, only eclipsed by an AA that manages to hit the +20 AB Cap (since their Enchant Arrow is outside the cap they'd have more AB, but with one less attack will have much less damage), but is absolutely miserable to level, has odd uptime, and has zero quality of life (stealth, utility, will saves). Though, they can also pick up any weapon in the game and be reasonably effective with it, as well as durable.

What I have over them all is full 9 Circle casting with some excellent party spells (including ones that, until Voodan, were unique in Big Sky) and some of the best enemy control in the game. Yeah, I'm not the strongest archer - but Druid shouldn't be the strongest archer, or honestly even close. My utility and DCs are exceptional, I have excellent capability to spot (even before using Hawk's Vision, which has an exceptional duration), and I have the ability to turn into a form if I'm forced to melee. I also have Premo. These are the same things Druid has over other frontliners - it is at its core a caster that can competently fulfill other roles, not an exceptional example of those other roles that happens to have casting.

The price of being able to do everything for a class should always be that you're not exceptional at any of it. I look at Bard with my eyes and frown.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:07:04 PM by Revenant »
Vicerimus Mortem.

Dardonas

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2022, 07:13:14 PM »
[-snip]
If you feel other classes are stronger we could tone those down to bring them in line rather than endlessly buffing classes.

This has been the attitude of the development team and administration. The reason why I brought up "balance" at first was because this works to balance a class in a way that is more in-line with PnP.  Making elemental essences only activate one at a time kills two birds with one stone.  It balances, and it brings it in line with the intentions of PnP.  There should be considerably more focus on the latter aspect of that.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2022, 07:28:05 PM »
Generally speaking I don't worry too much about balance these days - I think it's been stated multiple times that the server doesn't really care about balance but about PnP (which is why the thread was made in the first place) and sometimes even then just doing whatever the whim is - but sometimes I like ranting into the void. This is one of those times, and I'm going to spoiler stuff because of how long this gets.

Spoiler: Spot Debate • show
The idea that druids take some special effort to be the top spotters is wild to me. Even assuming you do nothing but put points into Spot, you're a Wisdom-focused class (most detectors aren't) with access to the strongest Wisdom buff in the game (scaling to +10 at 20) and access to self-cast (and therefore fully scaling) True Seeing. With significantly less external prep than a stealther needs, you're comfortably able to challenge their mythical invisibility, particularly considering that their Hide needs to beat your Spot by 20 to be meaningful. The feats just let you push it even higher, or skimp harder on gear.

It's true that jamming all 4 elemental essences is unrealistic. With 5 uses at 14, you'd only do that if you were going to make another player very angry about elemental essence stacking, or if you need to kill a particular boss/last leg of a dungeon. In general, a feat is worth 1d6 damage, especially damage that stacks with everything and is impossible to resist - there are very few benefits from feats stronger than that - but it does have diminishing returns due to the use limitation (and how weak Extra Wildshape is). The fact that it's unrealistic to stack them should mean that nerfing it so they don't stack doesn't even matter! If it's not realistic to use them in concert, then why not return it to PnP parity?

I actually wouldn't mind, if this change went through, seeing Druid get access to more Wildshape uses. If you take Extra Wildshape, you cap out at 8 by level 18. It's enough, but I understand some people don't want to rest in dungeons, or want to form swap more for RP and whatnot - and it's certainly made tight by all of the secondary uses for it we've added. Additionally, I'd really like every form feat to have at least one designated combat form that is equivalent between the feats. Polar Bear and Crocodile and Gorilla, or what have you, should mostly be an RP choice rather than a statistical choice. The loss of sourcebook parity there would be less bad than continuing to make Druids feel suboptimal for taking regionally-appropriate Wild Shapes. Yes, RP above Mechanics, but it's been proven that player psychology encourages them to optimize the fun out of things, and I see so many polar bears.

Spoiler: Feat Scarcity and Example Build • show
A non-human pure druid gets 14 feats by 20. It's not a glut, but it's enough. You can fit the archery suite, Imp Crit and WF for your bow, four essences, two metamagics, Frozen Form, and two spot feats if you wanted the most extreme example of having everything. Plenty of Druids seem to not care about how easy it is for them to spot, and plenty don't use bows, so that's between five and seven feats opened up.

If I'm building a druid, though, I acknowledge the diminishing returns. I stop at two essences. Skillpoints at 14 Int are plenty to take full Spot, Parry, Spellcraft, and Concentration, full CC'd Discipline, and room to wiggle left over - maybe some Animal Empathy for flavor and memes. Extend and Empower Metamagics, SF/GSF Conj, Hawk's Vision, SF Spot, Sharp Eyes put me at 9 out of 14 feats. With five feats left (eight, if I told Spot to Get Ye Gone) I have more than enough room to specialize my Druid however I please.

Let's say I want to be an archer. I pick up Zen Archery, Point Blank Shot, and Rapid Shot, as well as Imp Crit and Weapon Focus Longbow to fill out the last five (though realistically I take them early and slow-roll the Spell/Skill Foci until later, when they're more useful). I use Owl's Wisdom to pump myself up to 31 Wisdom for a meaty attribute bonus to AB. I extract plenty of value out of my Mighty bonus with Aura of Vitality, Ram's Might, and (Empowered) Bull's. I have 1d6 damage against all enemies, or 2d6 if I want to push it for whatever reason. I can use Frost Weapon myself, if I'm lacking in damage varnishes.

Spoiler: Drawbacks of Example vs Other Archers • show
I am reliant on other casters, varnishes, or enchantment to acquire EB for my bow. This, alongside HiPS (which I can likely see through), is the largest edge the Ranger has over me: ready access to a +5 EB, full BAB, and +2d6 Divine against their favored enemies (which will probably be Undead, Outsiders, Humans, Shapeshifters, and a flavor fifth - maybe Elves, if they really hate Drow - and so can be considered to be active against "most" enemies).

An Arcane Archer will usually do more damage and always have higher AB than them and absolutely, always should. It's the entire fantasy of the class.

A feat fighter does more damage and has more AB in most cases than all other archers, only eclipsed by an AA that manages to hit the +20 AB Cap (since their Enchant Arrow is outside the cap they'd have more AB, but with one less attack will have much less damage), but is absolutely miserable to level, has odd uptime, and has zero quality of life (stealth, utility, will saves). Though, they can also pick up any weapon in the game and be reasonably effective with it, as well as durable.

What I have over them all is full 9 Circle casting with some excellent party spells (including ones that, until Voodan, were unique in Big Sky) and some of the best enemy control in the game. Yeah, I'm not the strongest archer - but Druid shouldn't be the strongest archer, or honestly even close. My utility and DCs are exceptional, I have excellent capability to spot (even before using Hawk's Vision, which has an exceptional duration), and I have the ability to turn into a form if I'm forced to melee. I also have Premo. These are the same things Druid has over other frontliners - it is at its core a caster that can competently fulfill other roles, not an exceptional example of those other roles that happens to have casting.

The price of being able to do everything for a class should always be that you're not exceptional at any of it. I look at Bard with my eyes and frown.

I wont get too much into this for two reasons. 1, your analysis is better than most of what I have seen in terms of building out druids feats, second I doubt that many people care about my two cents on builds. However:

-You completely neglected tumble, thats going to make you make a choice between AC you will need or dropping a skill.
-Most of these feats you have to meet certain criteria to take so a lot of times its less about total # and how many times you get to select a feat after they become available to you. This is true for all classes but will cause some complications in your example for druids specifically.
- I agree with most of what you said regarding their comparisons to other classes with bows, but again, people use bows with a lot of builds that I don't consider viable due to DPS issues.
- Druids are core casters but taking their combat prowess out of it I would say spell for spell I would rather have any of the other pure casting classes. I think their flexibility in combat is what helps them get equality overall.
-Blind fight has to be in any build you are trying to hit something. I cannot be convinced otherwise. You also do not mention any of the unarmed feats. Without them you can kiss your shifting abilities goodbye in terms of AC.
-I wont spoil it too much but losing the benefis of certain enchanted qualities in equipment HURTS  especially in Sithicus which a druid always will. I think across the board the weakness of druid equipment is underestimated in the degree to which it evens out the class.
-Im not completely against your proposal of exchanging something for taking multiple essences whether thats more uses of wildshape, better equality among shapes, etc. While I personally would love the idea of making it where you take one essence and its 2d6 as proposed earlier, I think based on both of our visions for the class it will actually make most druids better not worse.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2022, 07:35:12 PM »
Fair enough, you did catch a few spots I missed. That said, you should have the points for 10 points CC Tumble (14 Int taking you to 131, that's 23 Spot, 23 Parry, 11 [22] Discipline, 23 Spellcraft, 23 Concentration bringing us to 114. I'd drop a couple points of Concentration, or frankly Parry entirely, to take the 10 [20] Tumble, if wanted, and you're definitely good if you're a human). I think I skipped Tumble because of my one friend insistent that they didn't need AC on their Archer - I hope they enjoy the aggro :P You're absolutely right about Blind-Fight, too. Go-to usage of the Human Bonus Feat, and I'd likely cut Sharp Eyes for it if I wasn't the optimal race.

And yeah, I don't think anyone's got a bad-wrong take on this, we all just want the game to be healthier and more fun. I just think a lot of people really undersell the strengths of Druid. If all they had was the casting, they'd definitely be weak compared to the other casters (and in PnP, they are generally considered the weakest of the god-tier casters). There's a lot of ways to make them have better QoL or be more enjoyable without making them oppressively good (nobody likes playing Marty Mundane next to the Jack of All Trades, Master of All) but there's probably gotta be some take to get some give.
Vicerimus Mortem.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2022, 08:14:02 PM »
I don't play a pure druid, but I'm indifferent to the nerf. Losing those feats doesn't mean druids are getting 3 less feats, it just means they can spend it on something else, and there are plenty of decent choices for such a versatile class.

Plant Shape would be a nice followup :mrgreen:

edit: I'm going to reiterate something and provide some context for anyone still on the fence.

This is not the kind of server where scrappy fights are the norm. You buff past the enemies' ability to take you down and defeat them in packs while outnumbered, sometimes 8 to 1 or more. The battle is not being determined by the extra damage you could've done in one or two hits, or even one or two rounds. It is a nerf but it isn't the end of the world for druids. Especially considering ranged damage is already higher than melee damage for the most part, and you're not risking yourself in the melee line, druids with bows are not losing out on much.

It's not the damage of a ranged build but the tactics it opens up. Same with monks. Choice of positioning, being able to attract the attention of nasty ranged attackers that could otherwise chew up your melee party members, being able to kill casters with damage shields to save your melee party members from damage, softening up enemies from a distance, these are the hallmarks of the ranged attacker, the exact damage per hit does not matter. On the other hand, an untouchable megabuffed minmaxed melee character can easily be killed just by becoming flatfooted at the wrong moment. That's not cherrypicking, that's just how things pan out if you autopilot too much and glide around seeing only your expectations instead of considering what is happening or could happen.

Look at things a little more deeply than treating the game as if there was some DPS meter that determined how viable your build is or how much you are contributing. Encounters here are not designed by computers like in WoW and FFXIV, they're designed by humans, and besides being able to clear most dungeons with just 1 or 2 melee party members defeating dozens of enemies purely due to your stats, your best weapon is your brain. Druids are still going to be an awesome addition in any party and any role if this nerf goes through.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 09:33:58 PM by SardineTheAncestor »
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2022, 10:17:03 PM »
This change would kill 90% of druid builds, and break archetypes like the druid archer and martial druid.

In my opinion all the druid nerfs should be collected and implemented at once. Dripping in nerf after nerf slowly, just leads to pissed off, seething, frustrated players. So may as well rip off the bandaid all at once. With that in mind, don’t forget about animal empathy being absurdly strong, and damage reduction applying to unarmed attacks’ penetration in wildshape. Oaken resilience is lovely, but maybe a bit much too.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:21:14 PM by tylernwn »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2022, 12:35:40 PM »
We've discussed this development-side and have decided to implement the original poster's suggestion, which is to make Elemental Essences no longer stack. We considered other options, such as increasing the number of Wild Shape uses required per Elemental Essence "cast" but preferred to go with the PnP description for balance reasons.

Druids level 5 and above will get a free relevel when we implement this change so they can change their feats.

We understand this will come as a disappointment to druids, but as usual, we reevaluate additions we make to the game, and sometimes buff them, sometimes tone them down. Much as we did with Oaken Resistance a few years ago, we feel there is a need to tone down the power of this series of feats.

Teep

• New to the Mists
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2022, 12:48:56 PM »
So now if a druid that primarily focuses on shapeshifting will have the damage output of about .. 15 damage without elemenetal esssence in elemental shape. A huge blow to druids, goodbye teep not touching you anymore lol.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2022, 12:50:17 PM »
So now if a druid that primarily focuses on shapeshifting will have the damage output of about .. 15 damage without elemenetal esssence in elemental shape. A huge blow to druids, goodbye teep not touching you anymore lol.

Druids were fine before we added that feat, they'll still be fine after we tone it down.

Nezmith

• Outlander
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2022, 01:07:35 PM »
Druids were fine before we added that feat, they'll still be fine after we tone it down.

I think the biggest problem druids complained about was versatility. Generally, it's dire (polar) bear form or bust, and elemental essences helped other forms that needed the damage. Now it seems like the choices will be narrowed into only taking dire (polar) bear, although as a disclaimer, I don't have a druid that has access to elemental shifts, so I can't speak to those. I recall from my time playing that the dire shift was lauded even by top-level druids so I imagine that's the only meta for them with this change. I think addressing the shifts would bring better balance and would be a more satisfying change, but just my 2c.

MoonCrower

• Outlander
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2022, 01:09:59 PM »
Atrayix only runs with one elemental essence and he does exceptionally well in combat. Unless I missed something else, I don't understand this fuss.
Active Characters:
Inan De'Rethke
Atrayix
Pierce d'Leroux
Sarkith Darskard
Envel'Wyld Tar'Talon

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2022, 01:20:54 PM »
I would dearly love to see a rebalancing of the druid forms in terms of AC to AB in relation to each other, rather than having one undisputed king in every set. Using elemental essences to patch those differences up is the wrong approach.

That said what this change does hurt the most is zen archers, not shapeshifters. Those go from ridiculous to just strong, so I think that's fine on the whole.

Lexica

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2022, 01:26:23 PM »
Extremely reasonable nerf. Zen archers are also still full casters, they can content themselves with casting all of Druid’s many good spells alongside their archery, rather than getting to be comparable to full martials while still having full casting.
Michelle Anciaux

Dardonas

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2022, 01:30:43 PM »
I think the niche druid builds might experience a tad bit of pain from this, but justifiably so.  The elemental essence stacking was just overwhelmingly strong on druids who use shapechange.  Don't forget that shapechange druids receive massive damage in the form of raw strength, as well as zen archery druids having access to (up to) a +10 free AB on their attacks from Owl's Insight.

10/10, good change.

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2022, 01:40:21 PM »
As long as druids above level 5 get a free relevel out of it, which it looks like will happen, this change is bearable for druids. It's not a massive nerf, and there are plenty of other feats for druids to take.
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert

Ghailer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2022, 01:47:00 PM »
I can already feel that nerf on my Shifter. Only thing my additional Wild shape charges could be used. And he isn't even caster like druid.

Teep

• New to the Mists
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2022, 01:52:27 PM »
Do a lot of you even play druid? Please don't downplay this change, it's absolutely massive and completely kills my character. So much so I doubt I will touch him going further.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2022, 01:59:27 PM »
Do a lot of you even play druid? Please don't downplay this change, it's absolutely massive and completely kills my character. So much so I doubt I will touch him going further.
I'm curious now what your build is, because for any druid I've made (and yes, I do have such), elemental essence has been the cherry on top, rather than anything I ever needed to clear the viability threshold.

Teep

• New to the Mists
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2022, 02:05:09 PM »
I'm curious now what your build is, because for any druid I've made (and yes, I do have such), elemental essence has been the cherry on top, rather than anything I ever needed to clear the viability threshold.

The problem is the elemental forms deal such low base damage that the essences help counteract that. Now elemental form is quite literally useless unless you want to just be a useless front dealing 15 dmg a hit; granted you will have immunities, but gimped. Bear will still be the stronger regardless due to 50 str. This is just a huge blow

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2022, 02:14:57 PM »

The problem is the elemental forms deal such low base damage that the essences help counteract that. Now elemental form is quite literally useless unless you want to just be a useless front dealing 15 dmg a hit; granted you will have immunities, but gimped. Bear will still be the stronger regardless due to 50 str. This is just a huge blow

Indeed, only having 1d6 damage which still bypasses all resistances and immunities and still stacks with other weapon damage buffs is a huge blow. Druids will never recover, potm ruined forever.

Yesper

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2022, 02:31:35 PM »
It's a good thing I didn't sink more time than I did into my zen archer. Throwing him in the bin hurts much less now.

Krosenq

• Developer
  • Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2022, 03:03:02 PM »
Feels like a good compromise to not hurt niche builds would be to make it stack only when using a weapon.
Active: Warrick Geth - Journal and Story

Yesper

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2022, 03:35:20 PM »
Niche builds tend to suffer and die out before they take off on this server unless they are dependent on class features and are built for levels 3-7.

SoggyBiscuit

• New to the Mists
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2022, 04:16:37 PM »

Indeed, only having 1d6 damage which still bypasses all resistances and immunities and still stacks with other weapon damage buffs is a huge blow. Druids will never recover, potm ruined forever.
I dont know what weapon buffs your refering to but they do not work with elemental forms at all. And buffs like sonic and flame only ever applied to your last attack in animal forms.
Currently: Vind, Julien Laurent.

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2022, 04:41:28 PM »
Weapons and weapon buffs do not get merged with Druid forms. Only with some Shifter-specific wild shape forms do weapon buffs merge with the form. To give a point of reference with a simple rough calculation, a single elemental essence in Air Elemental form is roughly ~18 average damage per hit, if we assume a STR bonus of +7 and no flat physical damage reductions on the mobs. That's not very much.
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert