You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Mist domain specific spells  (Read 580 times)

Maffa

• Dark Power
Mist domain specific spells
« on: January 04, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »
So, ill come clean and say I am ignorant about the setting, and the balancing and developing of this server. So any feedback is welcome but have pity on me.

This said, i was researching a few things in fraternity of shadows wiki, and i stumbled upon the PNP Mist domain spells, 3.5 ed.

Researching better the Church of Ezra, I realized that they are more Mist-centered than we as a faction currently play. They have authority over the Mist and can summon it to do their bidding.

From that list, there are a few of those spells that not feasible in the module because they are in short teleporting spells.

What could be brought into considerations are those spells that have an equivalent in game already. I would like to know the feasibility to add any of these spells to the Mist domain, in order to add the flavor of the control that the anchorites of Ezra have over the Mists.

Obscuring mist and Fog cloud are basically the Ezrite versions of darkness and maybe could be implemented with the fx of the mists and the effect of the spell, if it makes sense?

Gaseous form and Wind walk are also in game, the latter being the Mist form that vampires use and the former being the same only at walking speed.

Now, since the aim is to underline the connection between the Ezrites and the Mist, i would be happy if there could be a way for the anchorites to autonomously call the mists forth to a practical effect, so Obscuring Mist and Fog Cloud would be perfect for that. I understand though that these effects are actually DM only, so no idea how to implement that.

The latter powers seem easier to add, since they are already in the game?

Thanks for the consideration and let me know what you think  :)

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Mist domain specific spells
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 02:14:40 PM »
NwN domain bonus spells don't work at all like PnP's. They already get two mist-themed spells (Cloud of Bewilderment and Mind Fog), which is in line with what other domains give.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 02:50:18 PM »
I cant speak for other within my faction, and I am open to be corrected on this point, but i cant think of more out-of-character (faction-wise) spells than these. Since those are mind weakening spells, and one could be brought to think that anchorites cast them before services to manipulate the masses :lol: while the most the faction fights against are undead and werebeasts; moreover, they need to work in tandem with other spells, which make them highly situational at best. Personally I cant find a way for them in my gameplay, nor I find them Mist specific (contrary to those in the PnP list).

Other domains, like Magic, Time or Trickery to name a few get direct use useful arcane spells, and more than 2, so I wouldnt say it's really in line. True the Mist domain also gets the Shield which could provide DR, but it is for 10 seconds per level and ive seen it used more for Rp than actual use in combat.

If these have been picked specifically for PotM usage, would it be possible to revise them with other, thematically closer spells instead?

Character List:

Marph - Closured

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 03:41:00 PM »
All of the domains have very few spells compared to the actual domains in tabletop.
The ones that don't either have no special ability (magic domain) or have spells that are very related or kind of just secondary to other spells (invisibility sphere for trickery, the three haste-types for time (which very few gods have btw)).  Trickery and  time are also some of the best and meta domains for clerics, so it would be unfair to all the other (much crappier domains) for mist domain to get more than it has.  Especially compared to some of the other native domains like Mora domain.

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 04:11:10 PM »
the point is, im not asking to have more, as in more powerful. God knows if the last thing we need right now is minmaxing players trying to join the faction. Unironically banish the thought.

I am asking to have more relevant domain spells. *I* personally (still I dont speak for my faction mates) would happily trade these spells for the unique skill to summon the Mists that does nothing, it just stays there and looks cool for a bit, so i can say "see? told you so", i.e. a relevant element to a relevant part for the whole setting. I thought that a darkness-like mist-looking spell could do the trick, *instead* of those, not *added* to those.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

HouseOfLament

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 04:30:22 PM »
Sufficiently high level Wardens have access to limited teleportation with DM assistance.  This is a huge special power that to my knowledge no one else has access to.  Don't take it for granted tho  ;)

e: AFAIK mistwalking is considered a 5th level spell on POTM
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 04:32:19 PM by HouseOfLament »
Discord: Delawhere

Current:

Dementlieu: Willem van der Hoot, Outlander Beguiler
Barovia: Oliver Blumfeld, Mordentish Shaman

Previous: Anton Durand, Ezrite Cleric of the Fekete Sereg

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 05:04:28 PM »
That's great and I am of course grateful we have those. As an official faction, i think we are all grateful for the plots and the attention we get.

That teleportation "power" is DM operated tho, and exclusively for plot necessity, in the hope this reflects on the whole server population at large. Certainly they dont get popped around to go dungeoneering.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 05:36:23 PM »
That's great and I am of course grateful we have those. As an official faction, i think we are all grateful for the plots and the attention we get.

That teleportation "power" is DM operated tho, and exclusively for plot necessity, in the hope this reflects on the whole server population at large. Certainly they dont get popped around to go dungeoneering.

But you are suggesting the removal of spells that would be used for dungeoneering, and replacing them with spells that would not?

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 06:09:26 PM »
Again this would be me, and i am waiting for any of my faction mates to chime in, but *I* would gratefully trade two spells ive never used for a RP tool i would rather use.

Generally speaking, Ezrites are not dungeoneering types. They are not even mingling types. We Rp quite a lot, even by this server standards.

This said, my request would be to change these two spells with spells better attuned with the Mist characteristic of the domain, the religion and the faction. Mind affecting spells are not reflective of the nature of none of the three. I brought up the original P&P spells as reference, but I am open to suggestions.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

Last Exit to Barovia

• Undead Slayer
  • "unto us a most inspired storm"
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 08:22:30 PM »
I will have to disagree with a suggested change in the spells given to the Mist Domain. Despite this server having the general perspective of 'what you see is what you get', if I really wanted to RP conjuring mist, I could just describe it and ask people to use their imaginations, the equivalent of a DMs yellow text. For something so mechanical as spells granted through a domain, I believe that the spells should be one's that 1. Fit the theme of the domain and the deity; 2. Have a basis in lore; and 3. Are at least somewhat mechanically useful so that they would fit usage of such a cleric in play.

To also add some of what we have brought up in the faction discord on the matter, I would only be in favor of adjusting one domain if the scope was broadened to all of them to reflect a balancing. While I think perhaps this can be done [a fact I do not even know], I do believe that it would require a good bit of work. I personally am in favor of a greater breadth of spells to domains, whether they are cleric spells or not [whether they add to their spell list or not], as it gives more identity to the cleric and what kind of spells they would theoretically be more inclined to use or be given providence over, I do not think the RP needs of one domain necessarily justify a case for this, especially when we can simply role play it's existence.
Gianna Valentina, Curate of the Refuge of the Fifth Light

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 11:10:04 AM »
If i may comeback to this thread... maybe i can suggest adding Keen or swapping it with Weapon of Impact since the weapon of the anchorites and templars are all blades?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:53:25 AM by Maffa »

Character List:

Marph - Closured

Last Exit to Barovia

• Undead Slayer
  • "unto us a most inspired storm"
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 02:05:28 PM »
The weapons of Anchorites and Templar are not all blades however. Only Anchorites of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd must use Bladed weapons. The 4th may use any weapon and Templars may also use any weapon.

However, if we are speaking on terms of roleplay and the resources and culture that have been developed specifically through server and the living lore, I would instead argue that an Ezrite might believe that Ezra's light is all that is needed to cleave the darkness. If this is taken purely figuratively, ones faith is sufficient. If we are speaking mechanically, we get Fiery Weapon as a cleric spell, which fits the flavor of this far more than Keen.
Gianna Valentina, Curate of the Refuge of the Fifth Light