Author Topic: A/MPC Atmospheric Toolset  (Read 966 times)

Dardonas

A/MPC Atmospheric Toolset
« on: January 03, 2022, 06:46:39 PM »
As DM activity is not something guaranteed, I think we should move towards shifting more creative power in the hands of A/MPCs.  One way I've suggested in the past was to allow them to spawn in certain visual effects on top of themselves.  This would lessen the need for a DM for storytelling elements and atmosphere and better allow for A/MPCs to take the reigns.

The following effects I think could really add to the amount of atmosphere:

- Mist clouds (red and normal)
- Darkness puddles (that don't actually cause darkness)
- Ritual circles (any of them, glowing and not)
- Blood puddles

If there are more that exist, I'm drawing a blank.

These effects could have a certain length of time they last so that they don't persist too long.  They could have constraints placed on them, like maybe one or two active effects at once, so that they aren't spammed.  These effects could be spawned in through commands that are enabled with the A/MPC templates, for example @vfx redmist
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 07:47:01 AM by Dardonas »

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
Re: A/MPC Atmospheric Toolset
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 06:49:41 PM »
I think some consideration would need to be made for the type of AMPC/MPC in question but beyond that I'm all for it.  Honestly, I'd go so far as to say they should be able to spawn/create most carpentry placeables as well.

Dardonas

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 06:53:18 PM »
I think some consideration would need to be made for the type of AMPC/MPC in question but beyond that I'm all for it.  Honestly, I'd go so far as to say they should be able to spawn/create most carpentry placeables as well.

Yeah, I meant to mention that some templates probably would be better with access to certain effects over others.  Vampires probably would be better suited with the mist stuff, for instance.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 07:37:17 PM »
Something I think would be great for monsters of all types is the ability to place down blood. Really nice to help set up some horror scenes for monsters.

Also what I would like is the ability to have the placables that carpentry can do for monsters without needing to be a lumberjack. There are some really cool atmospheric stuff in the placables for monsters to use. Such as a number of torture devices one can create. But even something like signs would be nice. The thing is having a ghoul or mummy do lumberjacking for carpentry is kind of silly.

RickDeckard

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 07:38:27 PM »
+1

50% of my previous AMPC playtime are in a timezone where DM's are not present (or they are if they couldn't sleep) and this would greatly benefit AMPC's on that matter alone, but especially with lighting the load for DM's.

Famous Seamus

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 08:03:47 PM »
+1 to this as well, taking into consideration the other points/suggestions made here. It would be great if there could be some guidelines or mechanisms that help (A)MPCs avoid using these gratuitously (a little can do a lot, and sometimes less is more), but that's just a side thought.

I've seen some excellent scenes where (A)MPCs had DM support to prep the scenery. Those were always memorable and awesome. It would be great if (A)MPCs have the tools that enable them to give more players those memorable experiences and (hopefully) lighten the burden on the DM Team at the same time.

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 08:30:27 PM »
Nothing bad about giving content creators more tools to create more content.  Being shackled to requiring a DM for everything can be a real pain.
Besides, A/MPC's are application based so if they pass that they can probably be trusted with some tools.

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

Mona

• Undead Slayer
  • icon: The Letter, Eugene de Blaas
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 11:20:18 PM »
This would be very cool!! +1
ACTIVE:
Elisabeta Gárdonyi
Arwyl an-Cirdyn

PAUSED:
Ladislau Vacarescu
Janak Rashenka

DISCORD: vantamasque#0001

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 02:47:11 AM »
if that could open up AMPCs in more TMZs im all for it

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 04:46:14 AM »
This is a good idea.

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 07:42:05 AM »
Add blood puddles to the list

+1

Clausawks

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 08:37:34 AM »
As someone who would like to build into scenes based on evidence, deduction and then execution to action. I would not mind some extra tools to add to the use of atmospheric purposes. Even if it's just a small update to one area of things.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 09:58:18 AM »
Been a while since I played an A/MPC but having some of these things added would be a true blessing! Especially blood puddles or mist for vampires. I would love to see that as something ampcs are able to do without needing a DM, and I'm sure that would significantly lighten the load of things the dm team has to do.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 10:21:25 AM »
Yeah this'd be really cool. As it is, I did my ritual circles and whatnot with just @marks and spammed thigh bones, and that really lacked a certain panache.

The carpentry thing especially.
Vicerimus Mortem.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 02:01:01 PM »
While some of those are good ideas, allowing AMPC to put down placeable would require a significant amount of script as we'd have to make an completely new system for it, and its not a priority right now. I think it could be interesting to allow certain placeable to be put down, which one we allow will have to be reviewed dev side obviously, but don't expect to see that change any time soon though.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2022, 02:20:02 PM »
While some of those are good ideas, allowing AMPC to put down placeable would require a significant amount of script as we'd have to make an completely new system for it, and its not a priority right now. I think it could be interesting to allow certain placeable to be put down, which one we allow will have to be reviewed dev side obviously, but don't expect to see that change any time soon though.

Could you make a new crafting submenu for them, that hooked off their AMPC status, in which they had a 100 rankss and the crafting objects required no components?

Otherwise you could make usable items for the AMPC shop that could be used on the ground to create effects, maybe?

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2022, 02:57:22 PM »
For carpentry at least, would it not be theoretically viable to let them "buy" wood from the MPC shop, as well as a mobile carpentry kit? Then either script them to automatically max their ranks, or have a DM give it during setup.
Vicerimus Mortem.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 09:12:07 PM »
For carpentry at least, would it not be theoretically viable to let them "buy" wood from the MPC shop, as well as a mobile carpentry kit? Then either script them to automatically max their ranks, or have a DM give it during setup.

Probably this. Buy wood, max carpentry, use the carpentry system to do everything. Custom AMPC structures could just be at a DC above the highest cuttable wood DC as no player would ever reach this point. Likely the least problematic way to implement this, aside from the woodcutting sounds as a bloodstain is constructed lol.

mooner

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2022, 06:44:49 PM »
i think coming across an mpc going at it with a sawhorse and wood chunks would be a bit immersion breaking, even if the chance of it is really low. DMs at least can do their setup in unreachable areas or while completely invisible.

i appreciate it's better than nothing and a proper system would require hefty script work, but it's still an amusing scenario to think about. perhaps more placeables could be added to the shop they use? i'm not sure how much effort that would be to do, though - if it's a similar workload to an mpc carpentry script then there's not much point

Praying Mantis

• Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2022, 08:30:17 PM »
+1 if as mentioned it's applicable to the type of monster

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2022, 09:53:22 PM »
I think large vfx such as mists and ritual circles are unlikely, but adding blood patches and other horrory things to the mpc store or carpentry aren't bad ideas

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2022, 11:02:31 PM »
Given A/MPC's already require an application and therefore proof of trust in their ability to handle 1) a stronger than normal template for a character and 2) showing more thought behind both their own character, story, actions and what it all means to every other player on the server I think giving them the ability to "set the stage" so to speak with no real mechanical benefit, purely atmospheric, should be embraced. They are already trusted to do exactly that. If there is a way for them to heighten the immersion they provide I think they should have it. Being able to place a misty bank in an area doesn't do anything other than set the stage as much as putting down puddles of blood or items and corpses with unique descriptions. Often this requires a dm to help but, if possible (and I have no idea if it is but suspect it can be done) why shouldn't they be able to?
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir