Author Topic: Requested: a way to @dispel shadow shield  (Read 1881 times)

Dhelindria

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
  • Dhelindria "Lindy" Lawrence Rathcore
Requested: a way to @dispel shadow shield
« on: December 31, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »
Could a way to dispel just the inky blackness of Shadow Shield be added, please? :)

zDark Shadowz

Re: Requested: a way to @dispel shadow shield
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 01:22:27 AM »
I like to know if my targets have warded themselves against necromancy and negative energy though, thats how I know I can't spam horrid wilting.

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 01:30:45 AM »
I'd say its a deliberate design decision to not include shadow shield and a few other spells in the "doesnt show up" category.

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

Dhelindria

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 01:43:06 AM »
I'm not asking for the visual to be removed when the spell is active; I'm asking for a way to @dispel it altogether without having to @dispel all the other spells in effect - like what can be done with Invisibility / concealment.

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 01:49:24 AM »
+1

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 01:58:56 AM »
I'm not asking for the visual to be removed when the spell is active; I'm asking for a way to @dispel it altogether without having to @dispel all the other spells in effect - like what can be done with Invisibility / concealment.

Ah, I see.  I misinterpreted your post.
This is a good idea.

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 05:49:58 AM »
Yes please. +1.

Dardonas

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 05:50:42 AM »
Can we do the same with Premonition as well?

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 06:03:03 AM »
Perhaps just @dispel visablewards ?

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 06:04:45 AM »
Considering there's different @dispel commands for Invisibility and concealment, probably best if there are two separate ones for Shadow Shield and Premonition.
@dispel premo & @dispel shshield, maybe?

Desordre

• Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 01:21:00 PM »
The spell description says "You are shrouded in a cloak of shadow that protects you with the following effects...."

That would suggest to me that you cannot remove the shadowy appearance of the spell, unless you were to modify it with some form of metamagic, in my opinion, or similar spell sculpting/spell crafting feat. Just as one cannot make the effects of another spell invisible or different in appearance without similar abilities, as per most d&d cannon.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 01:35:26 PM »
The spell description says "You are shrouded in a cloak of shadow that protects you with the following effects...."

That would suggest to me that you cannot remove the shadowy appearance of the spell, unless you were to modify it with some form of metamagic, in my opinion, or similar spell sculpting/spell crafting feat. Just as one cannot make the effects of another spell invisible or different in appearance without similar abilities, as per most d&d cannon.
This isn't what is being asked.

Presently if you have a pile of wards on that includes things like invisibility and concealment, you can remove just the invisibility and concealment spells with a command, rather than all the spells you have up.

The OP is asking to be able to remove Shadow Shield without removing all of their other spells, similarly.

Dhelindria

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 02:03:02 PM »

As I wrote above...

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 02:18:22 PM »
I would ask if the same could be included for tensers too, a bit annoying to have to wait a bit or dispel all my spells in order to give out a knock or invisibility.

ScalesofEquilibrium

• Church of Ezra - Flock of the Last Redoubt
  • Outlander
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 02:38:09 PM »
+1 to OP!
Abigail Shuttleworth - Active

Senna Merula - Shelved

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 03:00:32 PM »
well, at that point... if there were a selective way to dispel any specific spell without knocking them all...

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Derek Jeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 05:18:36 AM »
I like this

If it looked less terrible I wouldnt care  :lol:

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 10:53:35 AM »
In a setting where magic is feared, where magic users should be cautious, and face risks for being what they are, there should be a constant need to be cautious, some of the higher level spells have that element of consequence to them, which is an active change in appearance.

It's generous that we can cancel our own active spells, and its even more so that they included a way to cancel concealment, if more spells could be turned off by command, I think this would actually cause harm to the setting and concept of danger/consequence for those classes.

BlankStare

• Society of the Erudite
  • Outlander
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2022, 12:12:22 PM »
In a setting where magic is feared, where magic users should be cautious, and face risks for being what they are, there should be a constant need to be cautious, some of the higher level spells have that element of consequence to them, which is an active change in appearance.

It's generous that we can cancel our own active spells, and its even more so that they included a way to cancel concealment, if more spells could be turned off by command, I think this would actually cause harm to the setting and concept of danger/consequence for those classes.

You can already dispel Shadow Shield on command, with @dispel. If I am worried about my wizard being "spotted" as a mage, I can already get rid of the visual instantly. There is no real additional amelioration of risk by making it possible to dispel only the Shadow Shield, just a small convenience boost.
Current PC: Aidan Rathcore

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 03:48:34 AM »

In PnP, you are able to dismiss any spell of your choosing as a standard action. I'm not aware of any changes made by the Ravenloft books that would invalidate that for PotM.
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

Delita

• Outlander
  • I once bit a horse
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 07:42:51 AM »
When I first learned that I can type @dispel invis and @dispel concealment I thought every single spell and effect can be dispelled by manually. I was devastated that I couldn't. I strongly agree that every spell that has permanent visual effect (lasting the entire time as the spell's duration) should and could be dispelled seperately I believe. This includes "vision of omniscient eye", "premonition", "shadow shield" and perhaps elemental weapon enchantments like flame, sonic, frost weapon etc.

I don't think it's related to immersion or challenge by the way. Like said before, @dispel can get rid of everything and you're free to see any consequences. They say there were times players in Balor shape took the caravans and ordered drinks in the bars, (lol) so seperately dispelling a visual effect wouldn't be a problem.

Let's Make

@dispel vision
@dispel premo
@dispel shadow
@dispel weapon

real!

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 10:02:14 AM »
I think the fact that you can do so in pnp is reason enough to justify it, it's just a matter of a dev caring enough to implement it.

Personally I have the same misgivings as some in regards to what it means for a person to cast magic in certain settings but the fact of the matter is you can already, as pointed out, dispel everything including shadow shield.

I've always enjoyed the fact that only a select few spells actually show up visually. But ~ as it's already possible to dismiss any spells and there's a way to dismiss certain spells that have a noticeable effect in game I see no reason to not accept that shadow shield should be one of them.

It's very possible I'm wrong about this but I'd guess it comes down to a combination of oversight and lack of any particular dev feeling the need to make that happen which has prevented it from being implemented.

Again, I'm just guessing. I'm not a dev and there well could be a different take entirely on the matter.

Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2022, 11:45:52 AM »

You can already dispel Shadow Shield on command, with @dispel. If I am worried about my wizard being "spotted" as a mage, I can already get rid of the visual instantly. There is no real additional amelioration of risk by making it possible to dispel only the Shadow Shield, just a small convenience boost.

Yes, that's right, you can, but why is the @dispell command not convenient enough?

Some Knight

• New to the Mists
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2022, 11:52:50 AM »
Yes, that's right, you can, but why is the @dispell command not convenient enough?

Because they wish to keep the other buffs (I.E. Bulls strength) without having to recast it, if they even have the slot to do so. It'd be just like the @dispel concealment command, just getting rid of active sparkly effects. So one can 'not ignore the NPCs' with their scary magic.

Dhelindria

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2022, 12:16:02 PM »

For the same reason that people want a @backpack command when there's already another way to use one, or the same reason why people want faction mass un-storage to work when they've been doing just fine without it: quality of life improvements. :)