Author Topic: The new OOC text color  (Read 3728 times)

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
Re: The new OOC text color
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2021, 06:08:14 PM »
This thread is hilarious. Good laugh. How much OOC chatting are you guys and girls doing by the way to make this "a thing?"  :lol:

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2021, 06:13:03 PM »
This thread is hilarious. Good laugh. How much OOC chatting are you guys and girls doing by the way to make this "a thing?"  :lol:

dm goes

Roll X   

party kinda needs to know what the dm said even if mid battle or mid flood of rp.

so it's not just players who benefit
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Forte

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • He is a king whom emperors have served.
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2021, 06:14:45 PM »

Be excellent to one another.
Dzenifér Uralkodó - HATEFUL

PlatointheCave

• Dark Lord
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2021, 06:24:40 PM »
I like it as is.

Good change.

JayJay

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Slayer
  • Do Better.
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2021, 06:25:14 PM »
We ponder your reply.

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2021, 06:27:40 PM »

dm goes

Roll X   

party kinda needs to know what the dm said even if mid battle or mid flood of rp.

Oh, I am in favour of the change. I am simply not in favour of this reply.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2021, 06:27:48 PM »

Be excellent to one another.

Please. I should not want to lock this thread as the feedback is important for our devolopment team, but we should always put the feeelings of our fellow players formost.
This also occurs to off topic meming. I won't warn people again.

Unrelated - I think the Purple is a good compromise.

JayJay

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Slayer
  • Do Better.
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2021, 06:30:01 PM »

dm goes

Roll X   

Oh, I am in favour of the change. I am simply not in favour of this reply.
Change is fine, hurts the eyes. Maybe a different color that isn't so dark, and easier to see like red.

Famous Seamus

• Dark Lord
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2021, 09:10:44 PM »
The purple is still a bit hard to see on dark backgrounds; however, overall, it works, and from a design perspective it fits the niche of giving a visual cue while still blending in enough that it isn't distracting when it appears over a character's head. It's a good step forward, and it could stay as it currently is. Thank you, devs and team.  :)

Change is fine, hurts the eyes. Maybe a different color that isn't so dark, and easier to see like red.

I would also be in favor of a warmer color if further tweaks are to be made (something with a bit more contrast against dark backgrounds). Rather than red, would it be possible to go with like a vermillion or red-orange so that people with some sort of red colorblindness can still perceive a degree of color in the text?

cheese tornado

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2021, 11:34:30 PM »
I'm also fine with the purple, it tends to stand out a little more than expected, but there's functionality in that. GG!

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2021, 12:05:04 AM »
It's definitely better, so thanks! It does seem like it could be brightened up just slightly to be easier to see in some backgrounds, though. But I'm not having difficulty seeing it in most settings. I'll defer to others who might have a harder time with the font.

RickDeckard

• Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2021, 01:29:37 AM »
Purple still a chore to look at and barely more visible than the grey colour text.

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2021, 04:09:06 AM »
I think it should be the same pale blue/lavender colour that player names have

Mona

• Undead Slayer
  • icon: The Letter, Eugene de Blaas
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2021, 04:31:15 AM »
I think it should be the same pale blue/lavender colour that player names have

I’m fairly sure bards use that color to denote their performances, per Dhelindria earlier in the thread.
ACTIVE:
Elisabeta Gárdonyi
Arwyl an-Cirdyn

PAUSED:
Ladislau Vacarescu
Janak Rashenka

DISCORD: vantamasque#0001

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2021, 09:38:41 PM »
A dark shade of green could be the best compromise, as green is one of the color we have the easiest time seeing variants of (sorry color blind people).

Red, on the other hand, is the color our eyes notice the most, so any shade of it would make for a poor OOC color, as the goal for that new color is to be less noticeable than the classic white/yellow for the usual Say and DM Texts.

As for Blue, it would either be too bright to properly serve its purpose or too dark to not be considered Grey and thus be "a pain in the ass" to read, as it's been said previously when the OOC text was a dark grey color.

I personally have no issue with the current purple being hard to read (depending where you're at, though). As I - and others - said : it's supposed to be easily ignored. Then again, it shouldn't be a shore to read, especially when OOC text is used to tell people when you're going AFK for a bit or need to logout for IRL reasons or whatever.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2021, 10:35:03 PM »
A dark shade of green could be the best compromise, as green is one of the color we have the easiest time seeing variants of (sorry color blind people).

I think Dark Green would be rough.  There's lots of areas where the opaque background of the chat window sits on top of green grass or trees or similar.  Good input though.

Cyber Viking

• Undead Master
  • Discord: Cyber Viking#6572
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2021, 11:53:11 PM »
The Dark purple colour is very hard to read, A lighter colour please. Its an amazing tool and love the text change idea but please an easier to read color. 

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2021, 12:36:07 AM »
Can we please just make it the color that
>BobDoll Has Joined as a Player

Is in the other panel? It's a different color than a whisper, but still actually legible. All of these other options have been terrible and have resulted in people just using alternative prefaces to indicate OOC to avoid the awful alternate colors.

slash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2021, 01:28:04 AM »
The purple is more visible than the grey, so I can tell that an OOC message is sent. However, it's difficult for me to actually make out the specific details of the text, leaving just a purple streak across the chat log. I think the text should contrast with its background, and since the palette of the server is generally darker greys, greens, and browns, assigning a similarly dull color to the text seems like it is bound to cause problems. The text should be brightened significantly, I think. My recommendation is something in the ballpark of #d571e5 (R:213 G:113 B:229).
"My soul is overflowing with obeisant reverence, and Your Most Illustrious Excellency of benignity, to you I most humbly bow." -Francesco Ferdinando Alfieri.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2021, 02:26:41 AM »
My recommendation is something in the ballpark of #d571e5 (R:213 G:113 B:229).

An incredibly bright purple/pink would seem to be at odds with the intent of differentiating OOC text while also making it less notable. A bit brighter or more washed out than what we have now would be okay, but that seems like a bridge too far.

I haven't had a huge amount of trouble with the new color. That said, Viktor's option might be viable (although it has similar problems against light backgrounds), or perhaps we can simply scrap the whole idea since, in all likelihood, there is no solution that will suit everyone.
Vicerimus Mortem.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2021, 02:35:03 AM »
I still think a slightly dimmed light blue as seen in my original post would work best for everyone. Try a little brighter than this if needed. https://i.imgur.com/dDGXvZP.png

It is a cool colour so it is less attention-grabbing. Cool colours tend to be the right choice for meta/system dialogue messages because of this.

In PotM, blue is the colour of the sky and water. You can't put your chatbox over the sky, and water is rare.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2021, 03:35:31 AM »
Can we please just make it the color that
>BobDoll Has Joined as a Player

Is in the other panel? It's a different color than a whisper, but still actually legible. All of these other options have been terrible and have resulted in people just using alternative prefaces to indicate OOC to avoid the awful alternate colors.

I'm of like mind. We can make it more legible if the text is capable of having a stroke value attached to it

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2021, 04:23:34 AM »
I must say this new purple does not work as intended.

The OOC messages are as important as the IC messages. If the OOC are meant as a banter then they are not OOC, they are OOG, as in "game". OOCs are meant to clarify actions and mistakes done, and need the same attention if not more than the IG counterparts, they are hazard light and emergency brakes.

I for one stopped using the // and have gone for * , I cannot risk people not seeing my correction if i mistype stuff to an unintelligible blurb because we need to type on speed to keep up with actions and other comments, or if i have to correct a mis-whispered sentence.

OOC banter and other out of game comms can be whatever color you want, but real OOC need to be flashy and seen.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2021, 04:45:34 AM »
Someone mentioned there's a way to customise this? Is that so, and is there a link?
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2021, 04:55:34 AM »
As far as I know, customising chat colours can only be done per channel on the client. I can't remember which file lets you do that. But this is a serverside change we can't do anything about, and making it configurable is probably out of the question.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.