You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The new OOC text color  (Read 3771 times)

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
Re: The new OOC text color
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2021, 03:14:35 PM »
Reading through the thread again, I don't think anyone has an issue with the OOC text being a different color. However, it being an unreadable color is an issue.

I have been in DM events in the last few months with multiple different DMs, all of whom have used OOC text to communicate a few things, including requesting skill checks. Having this information be hidden due to blending in the background with its color would make situations like that fairly awkward and frustrating.

And as dutchy mentions, it's sometimes you need to get an OOC message out quick to your party. Communicating effectively and efficiently is important.

Overall:
The idea: Great
The execution: Needs some adjustments

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2021, 03:17:58 PM »
Agreed. there are ooc comms that need be seen, such as a mis-whispered com, or a change in language. mistakes happen and need communicated. if the message is risked not to be seen people will surely get past the // and invent new way to signal OOC comms such as % $ £ or whatever. I know i would, im notoriously a gaffeur when it comes on mis-whispers.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2021, 04:14:25 PM »
I personally have little issue seeing the new OOC text- however, since there seems to be a decent amount of people who are struggling, I think it's safe to say that the change needs to be made.

I understand that it is a rule that OOC messages should be avoided as much as possible but, we all know life happens, and I think this point has absolutely no place in this discussion. Accessibility should 100% be taking precedent. Lighten the OOC text, please- you would be hurting literally no one.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2021, 04:34:06 PM »

Overall:
The idea: Great
The execution: Needs some adjustments

basically it's this.
doubt anyone dislikes the idea.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Laur

• Outlander
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »
Fair points, but we can't be responsible for knowing everyone's color setup and gamma settings. There is a more or less acceptable "one size fits all" solution for this that most people will be happy with. We'll be working to find that and bring further clarity to the chat box if it's desired.

I do color work as well and quite frankly, if more people took the time to install color profiles and get the most out of their monitors they'd have a better experience over all that's suited to them, but that's an ideal world, and most people don't do this.

This is just a test bed, it's not like we can't and won't change it. We'll be considering all feedback and figuring it out and at worst scrapping it.

Making design user-accessible is one of the most important things the server needs to do if they make major changes to it.

Just to put my two cents in though, I do have a monitor specifically made and calibrated for color grading and the ooc text looks bad on it as well- using a workshop mod that makes my chatbox opaque is the only thing that makes it serviceable.

Famous Seamus

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2021, 05:31:06 PM »
Hopping in to add some additional feedback since Iluvatar invited further comments.

As of my last eye exam, I had good vision. I stare at tiny letters on a tiny laptop screen all day for my job. (Reading text on all kinds of backgrounds comes with the territory, and reading small text is part of the schtick.) The computer I play POTM on also has a built-in brightness booster that adjusts for each program so I can always see.

And, unfortunately, I'm still struggling a bit with the OOC text, like many folks here.

Some accessibility recommendations I've seen suggest using text colored in tertiary/mid-tones between primary and secondary colors for a variety of backgrounds (especially dark ones). They create a clearly visible color while also accommodating colorblind readers by relying on a mixture of colors instead of one dominant color. If those are too gonzo, would it be possible to push up the luminance on the current OOC text so it's brighter?

It's great to see the team making this change to give players visual cues between different chat modes. Thanks for doing that, and thanks for inviting feedback from the community on how to improve it.

William Roberts

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • Thrown a kettle over a pub...what have you done?
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2021, 07:14:51 PM »
Making design user-accessible is one of the most important things the server needs to do if they make major changes to it.

Contrast Checker

"WCAG 2.0 level AA requires a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1 for normal text ..."

"WCAG is the most commonly used international standard for Web accessibility and inclusive design. The European Accessibility Act incorporates Web accessibility in the text. Online services must be made accessible to individuals with disabilities."

In the US, the ADA and Federal Communications Commission rules require communications in video games to be accessible.

Beauty like a tightened bow, a kind that is not natural in an age like this.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2021, 07:28:45 PM »
It's a good thing this is a player-made modification and not a project undertaken with FCC and ADA certification in mind.

The change is quite evidently a rough draft, inspired by what other servers have implemented, and I think the devs have taken onboard that it should be changed. What they seem to be looking for now are suggestions, the more concrete the better, of forms that change should take. It might be best to move the conversation in that direction, rather than repeat what is already known.
Vicerimus Mortem.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2021, 07:47:33 PM »
maybe switch it up?

make whisper violet, and ooc text the whisper grey?
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2021, 07:49:50 PM »
There was a suggestion earlier to make it the same blue as the character name. If that's possible, I think that'd be a good one. Otherwise, I don't believe orange is used for anything in the chatbox that I can think of, and that may also be a suitable color for it.

I realize that just saying "blue" and "orange" isn't entirely helpful, so here's some HEX codes:

Orange: ff6601  (combat text orange)
Blue: 8f7fff (player name blue)

Dhelindria

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
  • Dhelindria "Lindy" Lawrence Rathcore
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2021, 08:07:10 PM »
There was a suggestion earlier to make it the same blue as the character name. If that's possible, I think that'd be a good one. Otherwise, I don't believe orange is used for anything in the chatbox that I can think of, and that may also be a suitable color for it.

I realize that just saying "blue" and "orange" isn't entirely helpful, so here's some HEX codes:

Please don't use the blue. It's what bards / performers use to denote their performances.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2021, 08:43:35 PM »
maybe switch it up?

make whisper violet, and ooc text the whisper grey?

Whisper text color is actually determined by your setting, client side.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

SwordChucks

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Undead Master
  • What me worry?
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2021, 08:45:07 PM »
I would argue, it should be a bright color that stands out, and annoys others, this way, its use would be limited. 
I don't want to be the dude with line after line of Hot Pink text that is out of char.

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2021, 08:51:08 PM »

Please don't use the blue. It's what bards / performers use to denote their performances.

Good point! Sticking with the orange suggestion then.

Irumi

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
The purple is still very dark but I find it already better even if a lighter shade would help.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2021, 08:58:59 PM »
Perhaps performers should and could have their own colours then instead of the corrupted use of </c>? Maybe for music it begins with #, it does resemble the sharp sign in music.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 09:00:37 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Laur

• Outlander
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2021, 09:04:11 PM »

Contrast Checker

"WCAG 2.0 level AA requires a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1 for normal text ..."

"WCAG is the most commonly used international standard for Web accessibility and inclusive design. The European Accessibility Act incorporates Web accessibility in the text. Online services must be made accessible to individuals with disabilities."

In the US, the ADA and Federal Communications Commission rules require communications in video games to be accessible.

This only really applies to manufacturers of video games. I would not consider a 4.5:1 contrast ratio to be strictly needed for Ravenloft.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2021, 11:32:06 PM »
New dark purple pops a little more. I like it.

less obtrusive but still visible.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 11:40:38 PM by ZSRunner »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2021, 11:37:40 PM »
Purple is good
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2021, 11:54:31 PM »
The purple is good but a bit dark still, Increasing the brightness on the text a bit I think would help.

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2021, 08:06:42 AM »
It's a good thing this is a player-made modification and not a project undertaken with FCC and ADA certification in mind.

The change is quite evidently a rough draft, inspired by what other servers have implemented, and I think the devs have taken onboard that it should be changed. What they seem to be looking for now are suggestions, the more concrete the better, of forms that change should take. It might be best to move the conversation in that direction, rather than repeat what is already known.

BGTSCC uses a pale green, #66CC66, for OOC text. (They also use a bright blue, #00BFFF, for emotes.) I've always thought it worked pretty well.
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

Madhouse

• Outlander
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2021, 01:21:02 PM »
thank you for changing it. i can actually see it now!

Edit: Okay, i spoke too soon, however maybe adjusting my gamma will help. Would be awesome if i could adjust gamma for text only somehow.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 03:40:24 PM by Madhouse »

SwordChucks

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Undead Master
  • What me worry?
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2021, 03:11:26 PM »
Yep thanks, I don't feel like I'm going blind, nor is it to disruptive.

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2021, 04:13:33 PM »
This thread is hilarious. Good laugh. How much OOC chatting are you guys and girls doing by the way to make this "a thing?"  :lol:

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2021, 05:57:40 PM »
This thread is hilarious. Good laugh. How much OOC chatting are you guys and girls doing by the way to make this "a thing?"  :lol:

Personally, not often.  But when they do come through it's nice to be able to read them.  I like the darker color because it also makes it easier to distinguish and ignore them when others around me get carried away.