Author Topic: Clarifying new XP changes.  (Read 2083 times)

Madhouse

• Outlander
Clarifying new XP changes.
« on: December 09, 2021, 01:51:12 PM »
I read the recent post on the new xp changes and i'm a tad confused. It states that it only changes a couple of things.

1. The way messages are displayed

2. How fast the cap diminishes.

The thing that confuses me is in the first change.

"the "Experience gained" message will indicate if you are pushing the soft XP cap to the point that your XP gains will be considerably diminished or even nullified. This is mainly a matter of changing the feedback you get."

Is it only a change in how the message is displayed? Or is it actually nullifying my XP completely? Previously, when in maximum blind drive i still got experience. The wording "nullified by cap" leads me to believe i'm now getting zero xp, which is not just a change in feedback, but a change in my actual xp gains.

I'm more of an action player. Roleplay is fine, but i much prefer to be fighting things. I'm currently at the "Experience gain nullified by cap" message.

would be grateful if someone could clarify whether or not my experience gain is now zero, or if it's just a new way to explain that i'm getting blind drive, which means a little xp still.

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
Re: Clarifying new XP changes.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 01:56:22 PM »
Nullified by cap, or 'red cap', when the message is in red, means you're getting zero XP. Standard blind drive and slow down is in darker yellow and says 'diminished by cap'.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 02:00:00 PM »
Yep. I was informed that previously you'd be getting much less than 1 XP per "XP Gained" message while under what is now the "Nullified by Cap" tier of Blind Drive. I was also told that almost nobody actually hit that level of cap, according to stats, though I'm hearing about it quite frequently now.
Vicerimus Mortem.

Madhouse

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 02:22:12 PM »
unfortunate. thanks for the help.

Madhouse

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 02:24:32 PM »
Nullified by cap, or 'red cap', when the message is in red, means you're getting zero XP. Standard blind drive and slow down is in darker yellow and says 'diminished by cap'.

it's very odd because i went from "slow down" to nullified by cap in the same dungeon. Granted i was being carried through a high level dungeon at a low level, but it's odd to me that i've already hit the maximum of blind drive from "slow down" in a single dungeon. Very confused.

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 02:30:57 PM »
How much XP did you earn?
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 02:34:18 PM »
That sounds pretty normal and on par with how it was before the change. It's always been that if you are doing dungeons at or above your level, 1 or 2 will get rid of your XP buff and put you at normal XP, or take you from normal XP to reduced, so it stands to reason that you could go from reduced to capped in the same amount of time.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Madhouse

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 02:37:34 PM »
How much XP did you earn?

i've no clue. i dont have any mods that display the amount i got.

Madhouse

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 02:38:40 PM »
That sounds pretty normal and on par with how it was before the change. It's always been that if you are doing dungeons at or above your level, 1 or 2 will get rid of your XP buff and put you at normal XP, or take you from normal XP to reduced, so it stands to reason that you could go from reduced to capped in the same amount of time.

alright. I'll just need to roleplay more. I do hope it wont take very much longer to level than before. I crave power! :P

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 02:44:34 PM »
Overall it should be faster. If I recall, only about 30 minutes of RP is needed to get the cap to go away 20% faster, which means a pretty decent increase to leveling speed, especially for more active players.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Madhouse

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »
Overall it should be faster. If I recall, only about 30 minutes of RP is needed to get the cap to go away 20% faster, which means a pretty decent increase to leveling speed, especially for more active players.

well that's a relief. I'll get to it! Thanks everyone for your replies!

Madhouse

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 04:28:47 PM »
Ahh i nearly forgot. Sorry to reopen this, but i must know.

I really enjoy running dungeons with friends. If i'm still doing them at hard cap, but also trying to rp when i can, will my cap eventually go down or will i forever be stuck at the hard cap?

Basically, am i forced to avoid dungeons entirely for a few days, or am i still allowed to do some each day with friends?

aliceofthevoid

• Undead Master
  • Friendly Neighborhood Nightmare
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 04:30:49 PM »
You'll be stuck at the cap, yeah. But if you like doing dungeons, there's still non-xp rewards if you want to keep doing them!

Madhouse

• Outlander
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »
You'll be stuck at the cap, yeah. But if you like doing dungeons, there's still non-xp rewards if you want to keep doing them!

well that's not great. I understand they need to find a way to curb min maxers spamming dungeons, but this inadvertedly hurts people just trying to spend time with their friends, or help those in need. I do hope they find a better solution one day. Thanks for the info.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2021, 04:53:20 PM »

well that's not great. I understand they need to find a way to curb min maxers spamming dungeons, but this inadvertedly hurts people just trying to spend time with their friends, or help those in need. I do hope they find a better solution one day. Thanks for the info.

This boils down, IMHO, the the discussion on Playing x XP x Reward.

You play the game as you play because you enjoy it. Enjoying is the reward. XP, Gold, Items, Storytelling, Friendship are some of the many rewards the server give.

You have a few rules to obtain the best XP and those may or may not go against your playstyle. Also, you have a few rules to gain RPXP.

If your greatest source of fun is the XP you will need to adapt your playstyle to the XP mechanics. If not, do as you wish.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that "you cannot have everything you want" in this game and that's why we stick to it.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Madhouse

• Outlander
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 04:57:41 PM »

You play the game as you play because you enjoy it. Enjoying is the reward. XP, Gold, Items, Storytelling, Friendship are some of the many rewards the server give.

You have a few rules to obtain the best XP and those may or may not go against your playstyle. Also, you have a few rules to gain RPXP.

If your greatest source of fun is the XP you will need to adapt your playstyle to the XP mechanics. If not, do as you wish.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that "you cannot have everything you want" in this game and that's why we stick to it.

yeah i wont give up on it, i just wish they i wouldnt be infinitely locked out of combat xp progression just because i enjoy doing dungeons with people every day. I'll figure out how to adapt to it, though. Thanks for the conversation!

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 05:10:04 PM »

yeah i wont give up on it, i just wish they i wouldnt be infinitely locked out of combat xp progression just because i enjoy doing dungeons with people every day. I'll figure out how to adapt to it, though. Thanks for the conversation!

There is always the Action Server!

Coronenko

• Outlander
  • FML
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2021, 06:27:24 PM »

Except that the action server ALSO has the XP cap and no RPXP to counterbalance

lilyatrix

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2021, 06:29:22 PM »

And no players.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2021, 06:32:01 PM »

You will never be infinitely locked out of combat XP.  Even while you're out adventuring with friends and running dungeons you're, hopefully, roleplaying to some degree.  So you will be working your way away from blind drive while you work yourself toward blind drive. It's just a far less efficient way of gaining experience.  If you're looking for a more efficient route to gaining experience, I recommend visiting level appropriate dungeons and RPing on your way to and from along with RPing while you set up groups to go back out.

More than likely, the reason you were pushed into blind drive so quickly was because you were getting large amounts of XP from being carried through a dungeon where your character would not have normally been without other high level characters to help him/her along.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2021, 06:43:30 PM »

Huh. I thought that had been removed. I'll raise that with EO.

Edit - EO has confirmed this should not be the case. If anyone has actually experienced the XP Cap on the action server, please raise it as a Bug Report so it can be looked into, thanks!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:51:01 AM by JustMonika »

Madhouse

• Outlander
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2021, 11:41:33 AM »

You will never be infinitely locked out of combat XP.  Even while you're out adventuring with friends and running dungeons you're, hopefully, roleplaying to some degree.  So you will be working your way away from blind drive while you work yourself toward blind drive. It's just a far less efficient way of gaining experience.  If you're looking for a more efficient route to gaining experience, I recommend visiting level appropriate dungeons and RPing on your way to and from along with RPing while you set up groups to go back out.

More than likely, the reason you were pushed into blind drive so quickly was because you were getting large amounts of XP from being carried through a dungeon where your character would not have normally been without other high level characters to help him/her along.

This is great news! Thank you for the information. And yes you are right, it dawned on me some time after that blind drive progression is likely a % of xp based on your current level. If i go to perfidus at lvl 2 i'm likely to be blind driven or close to it by the time i'm done with the dungeon. haha

Rapugnak

• New to the Mists
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 09:39:55 PM »
Key term is "should be faster" it is not, it is quite the opposite. went from 13th to 14th level in 2 weeks (roughly 14 days) was in blind drive when level was reached. had item enchanted back to start of 13th level Started after enchantment at blind drive (why as I have lost exp and a level shouldn't that have cleared any time constraint as I am now a full level lower) almost 10 days later bordering between blind drive and no exp at all, spending 1 or more hours role playing every day to little or no effect. taking 5 plus real days to go from no exp to blind drive is quite excessive.  it feels like I'm being penalized because I spend more time in game than the average player. This effect may also be an unintended bug associated with losing a level due to item enchantment.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2021, 10:29:49 AM »
Key term is "should be faster" it is not, it is quite the opposite. went from 13th to 14th level in 2 weeks (roughly 14 days) was in blind drive when level was reached. had item enchanted back to start of 13th level Started after enchantment at blind drive (why as I have lost exp and a level shouldn't that have cleared any time constraint as I am now a full level lower) almost 10 days later bordering between blind drive and no exp at all, spending 1 or more hours role playing every day to little or no effect. taking 5 plus real days to go from no exp to blind drive is quite excessive.  it feels like I'm being penalized because I spend more time in game than the average player. This effect may also be an unintended bug associated with losing a level due to item enchantment.

I will say what I heard and experienced: enchanting has absolute zero impact in you cap. You will not "get back to fresh" by losing xp or a level.

I don't really like that too.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Rapugnak

• New to the Mists
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2021, 07:53:05 PM »
So, if enchanting has Zero impact on your exp gain and you lose a level the system wants you to meet a time requirement for a level you haven't even reached yet? Think of the ramifications for that. A perpetual state of blind drive or redline no exp until you've reached that point? hardly seems fair and more than likely an unintended bug.

Reason given for the changes I read was to stop the whole sale clearing of the dungeons/encounter areas to allow more players an opportunity to go to the same locations ..... I believe this logic is flawed as a lot of players hit and re-hit these areas to find treasure and or rare reagents such as hag hearts, adamantium, rare belts and other hard to find reagents. It is my belief that no amount of tweaking exp caps will change this mechanic as it is driven by monetary/equipment gain in an overinflated player created and controlled
economy surrounding those same rare items. Case in point Adamantium ingots or Red Vardo Bags. The same areas are hit over and over by the same player or group of players for in game monetary gain not exp gain.