You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Weirdness with net and google chrome and nwn  (Read 664 times)

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Weirdness with net and google chrome and nwn
« on: December 08, 2021, 02:53:03 PM »
Ok, so the issue was no resolved, they could find no issue, tech support talked with again, issue seemed to stem from chrome. I could load nwnravenloft in wifi, firefox and edge but not google chrome. Could run and get scans for the speed too in all but google chrome... Uninstalled that, but I am hoping that I don't have any more lag and disconnection issues, but is there a way I can safely test it so there are no screw ups??

Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Weirdness with net and google chrome and nwn
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 03:09:16 PM »
Ok, so the issue was no resolved, they could find no issue, tech support talked with again, issue seemed to stem from chrome. I could load nwnravenloft in wifi, firefox and edge but not google chrome. Could run and get scans for the speed too in all but google chrome... Uninstalled that, but I am hoping that I don't have any more lag and disconnection issues, but is there a way I can safely test it so there are no screw ups??

I'd say make a new dummy character.  One that will be a future project or a throw away and see how it goes.  Additionally, I'm not sure what chrome has to do with anything.  Are you running the game through your browser somehow?

Finally, have you tried running the game through a VPN? I know when I was still using comcast I had major latency issues that were related directly to my ISP routing it a million different places before it got to Germany or Denmark or wherever the server is housed.  If you are not using a VPN, I highly recommend trying it out and seeing if that solves the issue for you.

Best of luck. Very curious how chrome comes into play.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 03:32:12 PM »

I'd say make a new dummy character.  One that will be a future project or a throw away and see how it goes.  Additionally, I'm not sure what chrome has to do with anything.  Are you running the game through your browser somehow?

Finally, have you tried running the game through a VPN? I know when I was still using comcast I had major latency issues that were related directly to my ISP routing it a million different places before it got to Germany or Denmark or wherever the server is housed.  If you are not using a VPN, I highly recommend trying it out and seeing if that solves the issue for you.

Best of luck. Very curious how chrome comes into play.

Me too, because its the only browser that has issues, and the only way I found out there was an issue It's really weird. Know any good free vpns?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 03:42:20 PM »
I used Tunnel Bear for a while. I haven't had to use it at all in my new spot because the internet here is great.  All I had to do for Tunnelbear was tweet about it and I got like 2g free.  I know others could recommend better.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 03:43:15 PM »
There's not really many good ways to test.

~~

You could use the cmd.exe ping -t command to ping the ravenloft server itself repeatedly with small packets of info as a pseudo connection test and leave that on another monitor, and if it starts spiking in duration for packets returned and packet loss, examine your Resource Monitors' incoming and outgoing data rates.

If there's an offending program thats flooding your bandwidth that only occurs periodically that would be a way to pick it up, whether it is automatic updates or some other intermittent service, as long as you know how to read it.

Task Manager & Resource Monitor everyone should learn how to navigate at some point when using computers.

If you find a program there that really shouldnt be there that keeps coming back when you reboot your computer, you'll have to check your startup programs list and disable it from booting on startup, or open your Settings registry and change the program from "Automatic" to "Manual" if it isnt a core component of your computer.

If someone else is on your network they could be crashing the bandwidth too with their own problems, I had to seriously correct my dads' laptop with all the startup Microsoft junk our internet connection couldnt handle just continuously crashing both his computers' ram and our bandwidth.

~~

The nwnravenloft forums as a browser issue shouldn't have anything to do with lags or disconnects in the game itself. Chrome issues usually stem from cookies that need clearing or extensions / toolbars that have been installed that really shouldn't have been.

Some toolbars kids pick up while browsing the net aren't particularly malicious at first glance, inserting advertisements into pages that shouldn't have advertisements or trying to do bitcoin mining with your "extra resources" and this can cause conflict with web pages using security protocols, as well as make one more prone to picking up an actual virus from advertisement pages that may provoke automatic downloads or running of scripts.

Or, both issues might be stemming from ones internet adapter settings being set up incorrectly for the type of internet service being provided. You'd have to check your proxy settings to see if it has been set up correctly or if its still referencing old or outdated addresses / ports or if someone turned it off from automatically detecting settings.

~~

Not really many good ways to test someones issue from the limited information in a post. So many things to check and one has to learn how to both find, read and interpret the information if they want to be able to resolve it, and so many ways to mess up the computer.

~~

There was also a series of steps one of the discord users named "Symphony" posted under the ravenloft discord thread of nwn tech issues I think that followed a similar framework of following tests step by step to self-diagnose the issue, if you can find that that'd be another thing to run through.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 03:46:25 PM by zDark Shadowz »

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 06:02:24 PM »
It's a very weird situation. On this laptop I could access the forum from any other web browser, yet with chrome I couldn't what's even weirder is that when running a speedtest it would give me a latency error. Which is why I suspect they could be connected as from what I noticed the lagging out I experienced and the inability to access the forum happened maybe a few weeks apart. So I reached out to the net provider to see why I was unable to load webpages with the ethernet, and was eventually able to use wifi to view pages but not an ethernet. So I test the cord, test other cords, everything works with other computers, send this beast out, get it back and have to contact them again because the issue of not being able to load the webpage or get a speedtest done without issues. Test multiple cords, ports issue remains, so I try a different browser, and there is no issue. I uninstall and reinstall chrome issue returns, so I uninstalled it.

But now I'm worried about any disconnections so I was sort of hoping someone may know of a way to test to see what could be causing this so I don't end up lagging out and missing a hostile or lagging out in combat. I've got a logger thing that should help at least keep track of when I lag out and what happened in game, but I don't know how to test the stability of the net or anything about proxys
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan