Public (OOC) > Setting and Lore Discussion

The New 2021 Fight of the Millenium Ravenloft review - opinions? Hyper Turbo+exe

<< < (2/11) > >>

Raven Credale:
Review:

I enjoy this server and community much more than the community I had previously been apart of for three years. Been coming up to being here for a year now come February, and I have to say there is still a lot of things I want to try. A lot of idea that are still running though my head and a lot of character concepts I want to try out and have fun with while still having some fun interactions with other players to help shape the PC's I do decide to keep out after level 5.

All in all, 8.5 outta 10.
Would be 10 outta 10, but life of a responsible adult prevents me from goofing off for extreme periods of time.

Alan Hunter:

--- Quote from: Raven Credale on December 19, 2021, 11:13:03 AM ---Review:

I enjoy this server and community much more than the community I had previously been apart of for three years. Been coming up to being here for a year now come February, and I have to say there is still a lot of things I want to try. A lot of idea that are still running though my head and a lot of character concepts I want to try out and have fun with while still having some fun interactions with other players to help shape the PC's I do decide to keep out after level 5.

All in all, 8.5 outta 10.
Would be 10 outta 10, but life of a responsible adult prevents me from goofing off for extreme periods of time.

--- End quote ---

What was your previous game like? How does it compare to POTM? I'm curious to know if your willing.

JayJay:
Bavenboft

Last Exit to Barovia:
The server takes a game that I was nostalgic for and loved and made it into something that is fun, interactive, dynamic, and sustainable. The approach to the game that has had the most success for me has been to develop and drive avenues of RP that attract and interact with a larger part of the player base as well as help reinforce the setting and creating narrative & tension. The player base is what makes the game successful, including our DM and CC team, and is what maintains the immersive environment and upholds the challenging yet inspiring and evocative themes of gothic horror.

Recommendation for new players: maintain an open mind, learn from others in character as often as possible (and when that does not suffice, out of character (through forums, discord, private messages in game), and enjoy the experience.

Merry Munchkin:

--- Quote from: Duke_Carpenter on December 07, 2021, 05:31:13 PM ---it really, really feels like the DMs pick favorites. It really feels like the DMs favor their friends and leave the rest of probably a good 400 players high and dry. I'm not saying the team does this, but I am saying it feels like it. . . .  It certainly feels like the DMs are trying their hardest to make us all play the same way. For example, outcast RP sucks. And iirc a dev once said "well being an outcast isn't supposed to be pleasant, you signed up for this", but the problem with that logic is, and I can't stress this enough, what's the point of playing something if it isn't fun? Why do you even allow outcasts to exist if you don't want them to be fun to play?

Do you want your players to have fun or is this a sick game?

--- End quote ---

I have experienced similar frustrations in the past, but after giving myself a day or two to decompress, I usually conclude that the DMs and Developers are probably right.  Not necessarily perfect all the time, but one of the nice things is that everyone is usually pretty open to revisiting old topics with a new eye, if someone raises a new perspective.  They might not adopt the solution you are advocating for, but they will usually come up with some sort of solution to address the concern being raised.

As far as playing favorites, as an old timer recently returned to the server, I can't recall any of my suggestions ever being adopted but that doesn't stop me from making them -- I don't think that anyone disliked me personally, but given that you probably have several hundred suggestions on tap at any given moment, 99.99% of them are likely to never see the light of day just because nobody has the bandwidth to deal with them all.  Even if they look at a suggestion, they have to balance (1) time and resources, (2) feasibility from a scripting or coding perspective, (3) and overall value to the server (i.e. bang for the buck).  You might have a great little idea, but it does not become a priority because of any one of the above three criteria (or any combination thereof).

As to the last point, I suppose this becomes a matter of perspective:  some people choose to play characters on the margins of "civilized" society precisely because of the marginalization and persecution they face, since they want to RP that type of flavor.  Others might want to play a half-orc or tiefling because it is fun, but don't want to deal with all of the social baggage that comes with that choice -- unfortunately, the negatives come hand-in-hand with the positives, because all the other players and DMs alike are RPing the marginalization and persecution aspects whether you want to or not.  Just like there is a lot of social baggage that comes with playing a wizard or sorcerer in Barovia.  It should not be viewed as a "bug" but a "feature" of these types of characters.

Personally, my playstyle has evolved considerably over the years.  I started out in my misspent youth as a dungeon-grinder, and things that got in the way of speedy leveling and dungeon runs were a powerful annoyance to me.  As the years have rolled by, I found myself not caring much for dungeon running unless there was a story behind it, and gravitating more and more to more detailed RP with other players. Thus, for my playstyle, rolling up a caliban and dealing with societal abuse would not be disconcerting to me (in fact, it would be fodder for some great RP opportunities, although I would also have to accept the fact that I may level up more slowly than others do).  I recognize, however, that players who may not be as devoted to the RP aspect of these types of characters might like to be able to interact normally with the humans of the world, but unfortunately the rest of the world (with some exceptions) are not likely to break-character that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version