You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Is Divine champion of Loa possible ? (answered -- No)  (Read 1136 times)

HirtZirk

• Outlander
Is Divine champion of Loa possible ? (answered -- No)
« on: February 20, 2022, 06:47:33 AM »
Hello community,
During a very pleasant roleplay session (thanks Oraclia & Estrilda) I had an Idea of going Divine Champion of Bambei.

Now the question is twofold :

1) Loa dont have prefered weapond - does this mean you cannot be Divine champion of a Loa. (in this case I am unarmed with unarmed focus)
Or could we say unarmed and no weapond of choice works well enougth....

2) as per the lore (accepted world mechanics) can a divine champion be aligned with a Loa ?

Thank you,

PS : I honestly looked at the Forum and dint find any hint one way or another so far.

--edit--
Thank you for answer.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 10:14:22 AM by HirtZirk »

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
Re: is Divine champion of Loa possible ? (in this case Bambei)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 07:05:05 AM »
https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5501.msg53168#msg53168

I believe that as Loa are not gods, they are exluded from this party. Specifically, "Patron deity: A divine champion must have a patron deity, and it must be the one he serves as divine champion."

HirtZirk

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 07:17:37 AM »
Thank you for your interest and reply.

I had read the description you linked. It is True but the Loa are explicitly described in the deity linked in the post you refered too :

https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=18979.0

That is why I am submitting this thread to the community.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 07:21:01 AM »
It is a religion, certainly, but they are spirits rather than gods. From their entry in that thread,

"Not all faiths honor the gods directly. In many cultures, spirits of the natural world and messengers of the gods are far more involved in mortal affairs than are the gods themselves. Why pray to a deity who does not hear, when you can direct your petition to the entity that god placed as lord over luck, or death, or rain, or wealth?"

HirtZirk

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 09:11:07 AM »
I see why you would argue that but I didnt believe (especialy in Ravenloft) that was a no-go blocker.

To me it was more a dogmatic semantic use of two word for the same concept. One "church" calls its patron a god (ie : greek god pantheon,...)  due to cultural and historical background and the other one calls them loa.

Now can I ask if you have the authority to rule this interpretation of the lore final . I dont really know who has what authority in the forum exept when specified explicitly.
Im just asking because I would then need abandon Idea of taking Divine champion of Bambei.

also the unanswered question is would the game (mechanic only not lore) allow taking Divine champion with weapond focus : unarmed
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 09:12:44 AM by HirtZirk »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 09:31:50 AM »
Can’t be a divine champion of the Loa. As mentioned they’re not deities and they don’t have favorite weapons.

bestbardna

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 02:23:16 PM »
Can’t be a divine champion of the Loa. As mentioned they’re not deities and they don’t have favorite weapons.

To be fair, the Morninglord and Zakhata aren't deities either. All that seems to matter is the belief the devotee holds. You could be a Divine Champion of the Almighty Shablagoo, god of chicanery and flabbergastedness, with the favoured weapon of a trout in Ravenloft, as the Dark Powers step in to supplement or replace any power that the adherent needs to draw upon. There are also Divine Champions of dead/inactive powers as well.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Is Divine champion of Loa possible ? (answered -- No)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 06:14:21 PM »
That’s not how this works and our rules cover that.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 09:14:12 AM »
As a quick question, I assume that this answer applies to all other classes that must worship a deity as well?  So no clerics, paladins, or favored souls that worship a loa, right?  I couldn't find anything explicit on this in the forum except for this thread.  Also, I would assume this applies to Athas spirits as well?

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 09:52:59 AM »
As a quick question, I assume that this answer applies to all other classes that must worship a deity as well?  So no clerics, paladins, or favored souls that worship a loa, right?  I couldn't find anything explicit on this in the forum except for this thread.  Also, I would assume this applies to Athas spirits as well?
Clerics of the Loa are possible. Souragnian Paladins who worship the loa is possible, but then again in Ravenloft one doesn't need to worship something to be a paladin. Favored souls are not possible, as in order to have a favored soul you have to select the deity's favored weapon, but the Loa do not have that.

Hope that helps :)

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 09:55:07 AM »
Thank you!!

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP