Author Topic: Faction RP XP (Level 14+)  (Read 7811 times)

SwordChucks

• Undead Master
  • What me worry?
Re: Faction RP XP (Level 14+)
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2021, 02:49:23 PM »
I love RPXP.
It's like god mixed crack and heroin and ketamine and meth and a very nice way of getting XP, given that, on an RP server, I do a lot of RP.
And I think RP should be rewarded.  Anyone can bum rush dungeons day in and day out, stopping only because of blind drive, and end up in the mist camp permanently.

Frankly, I see no reason why rpxp should be restricted to JUST outside of western barovia, when western barovia is one of the three hubs actually populated, includes multiple 'home bases' for certain races, has an underground scene, and in general is frankly more interesting than the other hubs.

So I say, let everywhere get full rp xp

or let nowhere get full rp xp.

It's not like rpxp is what keeps high levels out of Barovia - it doesn't, they just show up to schwack an ampc when they near their timer.
a way to alleviate this would be moving some of the features of WeBa to EaBa, however this would, arguably, split up the playerbase even more, however I do not see that as much of an issue - there's plenty of players

Love everything you said here..  At this point maybe every zone needs to be mixed with high and low level areas, vs a designated "Low Level" zone..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 02:51:01 PM by SwordChucks »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2021, 03:05:24 PM »
This is not meant to be sarcastic or sassy in anyway, but an honest question.  If you are creating RP in a faction based area (supported factions which, more often than not are in a prime position to generate plot, story, and immersive role play) Should you not be awarded with RP XP?  To me the story itself is the reward but, at the same time, if a plot takes a level 14 PC to Vallaki, and often it does, it's at least a small pat on the back to get RP XP in your own base.

I strongly support this point.

RPXP is part of the system, sure, but should never be the reason why someone makes its own RP. If you WANT desperately to tell a story of a local character, blablabla, there is no need to level above the intended level of the area.

Last I checked, most RP in port requires a high CHA, not a high level, so why don't we remove the RP XP from that hub area as well, likewise for Hazlan?  You dont need to be level 20 to order a baguette or croissant while attending a lecture on the best shoe polish in the core.  Just saying.

First: your suggestion is not bad at all. Seriously. You are obviously trying to be snarky, but, hey, you are not wrong: The RP rewards is the RP. No need to give XP for it. Obviously this would demand a complete rework of the system, but your ironic response is not wrong.

Second: The idea is keeping the PC's in balance with the surrounding areas and proposed roleplay. The "dungeons" in Port are notoriously harder than in Barovia and intended for higher levels. From memory, I can cite as examples Aboleth, Sewers, Worker Lodge, which are designed for something from levels 12 to 18, I guess. Then make people have RPXP penalty in Dementlieu at level 19  and stop gaining RPXP at level 20, for instance. That will be completely irrelevant, but is coherent with the server design.

However, the true problem is simple: with a level 14 PC you can solo all WB and ruin the dungeon spawn for 60% of the playerbase. The server was designed with different level ranges across the different areas and having a lvl 19 PC in an area designed for PC's up to the level 10 is problematic.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2021, 03:16:52 PM »
However, the true problem is simple: with a level 14 PC you can solo all WB and ruin the dungeon spawn for 60% of the playerbase. The server was designed with different level ranges across the different areas and having a lvl 19 PC in an area designed for PC's up to the level 10 is problematic.

This is why most of the dungeons don't give XP to levels 14+.

For as long as RP XP is implemented in the system as a whole, there's no good reason it shouldn't be rewarded to level 14+ in Barovia. If you're roleplaying, you're roleplaying. Whether it's around the fire in the Wayfarer Lodge as a Kin, or in Port's Bank.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 03:18:35 PM by Iolantir »

SwordChucks

• Undead Master
  • What me worry?
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
This is not meant to be sarcastic or sassy in anyway, but an honest question.  If you are creating RP in a faction based area (supported factions which, more often than not are in a prime position to generate plot, story, and immersive role play) Should you not be awarded with RP XP?  To me the story itself is the reward but, at the same time, if a plot takes a level 14 PC to Vallaki, and often it does, it's at least a small pat on the back to get RP XP in your own base.

I strongly support this point.

RPXP is part of the system, sure, but should never be the reason why someone makes its own RP. If you WANT desperately to tell a story of a local character, blablabla, there is no need to level above the intended level of the area.

Last I checked, most RP in port requires a high CHA, not a high level, so why don't we remove the RP XP from that hub area as well, likewise for Hazlan?  You dont need to be level 20 to order a baguette or croissant while attending a lecture on the best shoe polish in the core.  Just saying.

First: your suggestion is not bad at all. Seriously. You are obviously trying to be snarky, but, hey, you are not wrong: The RP rewards is the RP. No need to give XP for it. Obviously this would demand a complete rework of the system, but your ironic response is not wrong.

Second: The idea is keeping the PC's in balance with the surrounding areas and proposed roleplay. The "dungeons" in Port are notoriously harder than in Barovia and intended for higher levels. From memory, I can cite as examples Aboleth, Sewers, Worker Lodge, which are designed for something from levels 12 to 18, I guess. Then make people have RPXP penalty in Dementlieu at level 19  and stop gaining RPXP at level 20, for instance. That will be completely irrelevant, but is coherent with the server design.

Well, it seems like some of the replies are a bit tone deaf when they come from folks who are in areas where your level doesn't really matter for the type of RP your engaging in, yet are in favor of the loss of RPXp in Vallaki..  I also get the issue with the high level just pwning the crypts.. or any other low level dungeon.. but high levels already populate the area, because a lot of good RP happens there.

If time and pain weren't a factor I would say that WBV should be restructured to have both high and low level areas. I mean whether you like it or not, its a RP hub, and plenty of folks enjoy the grittier RP that happens in barovia vs the more refined RP of Port..   if you want a newbie zone, build a newbie zone, don't take the marquis area of the server and declare it RP null .. seems a bit crazy.. this is Prisoner of the mists, not prisoner of the baguettes =) Sorry couldnt help it

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2021, 03:31:57 PM »
My level 14 couldn't even solo the werewolf caves. I have no idea what people are talking about here.  :lol:
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert

Dhelindria

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
  • Dhelindria "Lindy" Lawrence Rathcore
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2021, 03:36:18 PM »
Please stop using the same tired stereotypes to reference Dementlieu RP. It's discourteous towards the players who enjoy it and who have nothing to do with the RP XP situation of Barovia. Thank you.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2021, 03:36:30 PM »
I'm fine with RP XP stopping at level 14 everywhere personally.

Level 21 is bordering the realm of powers of the gods. Chosen of deities are in the level range of 8-20 in forgotten realms, stopping at 14 becomes the exact sweet spot middle.

If the majority of people want garda that can reach level 20 while remaining garda, sure, whatever, let the garda of a backwater city become as near to demi-gods as the game allows.

Power balance is already broken anyway, and it'll promote AMPCs that want to act as a foil to garda to keep doing their stealth & magic.

I'm more scared of a garda banishing my characters from the area rather than what level they actually are, their power level doesn't even factor into their ability to ostracize people from civilization with due reason.

Being banished to become a Dementlieuse character is a fate worse than death, and garda have the batons to do it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 03:38:49 PM by zDark Shadowz »

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2021, 03:38:36 PM »
Please stop using the same tired stereotypes to reference Dementlieu RP. It's discourteous towards the players who enjoy it and who have nothing to do with the RP XP situation of Barovia. Thank you.
This please.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2021, 03:41:13 PM »
I've spoken about this the last couple of times this sort of thread has cropped up, and with far more passion than I can muster for it now. But the simplest way I can boil it down is that it feels bad to have one part of the game world where the majority of players reside at any point in time be restricted in a way that is not present anywhere else. Personally, I've warmed up to the idea of level capping the server at 14, period, but that's neither here nor there.

SwordChucks

• Undead Master
  • What me worry?
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2021, 03:55:53 PM »
I've spoken about this the last couple of times this sort of thread has cropped up, and with far more passion than I can muster for it now. But the simplest way I can boil it down is that it feels bad to have one part of the game world where the majority of players reside at any point in time be restricted in a way that is not present anywhere else. Personally, I've warmed up to the idea of level capping the server at 14, period, but that's neither here nor there.

It can't be helped that BV is such an active RP area.. it should be reinforced and expanded upon, not stopped.

ScalesofEquilibrium

• Church of Ezra - Flock of the Last Redoubt
  • Outlander
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2021, 03:57:40 PM »

+1 to this.
Abigail Shuttleworth - Active

Senna Merula - Shelved

SwordChucks

• Undead Master
  • What me worry?
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2021, 04:11:40 PM »
Carb Loading aside to go back to the OP, and attempt not to derail the thread.

I think W Barovia is as valid a RP Hub as Haz, or Demen.  A lot of awesome stuff happens there, and its a pity that you would want to move folks out of it.
So maybe there is some kind of compromise.

If Vallaki and its nearby environs are meant to be a lowbie area, why not convert village into a Hub as well..   It has a simliar layout to Vallaki (in terms of environs) and would just need a few added tweaks to make it function as one.

If the issue is IC Village doesn't function that way because of PLOT REASONS... make up another smaller hub nearby that can have factions, bank etc.. opportunity for players to congregate in a RP setting, earn xp for it..   

Frankly I think most folks once they pass by the 14 mark, if they dont want to go to Dem or Haz spend time in MC.. which is rather boring.. or just wander back to Vall.. which interferes with the lowbie progression or  plot events..

I don't see why this wouldn't be considered.. it seems like a reasonable fix to the problem.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2021, 04:44:45 PM »
Creating a new hub would be a /significant/ amount of work, dozens of hours, which would have to be done by our purely voluntary Dev team, so may not want to do so. The server may look very different if we could simply snap our fingers and code or add what we please, but the reality is its an extremely difficult, thankless and time consuming task.

If anyone wishes to volunteer to help, I encourage them to apply to join to share that workload.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2021, 05:10:15 PM »
I still liked Cassius's idea which included all the public areas of the bases, not just the private faction-only areas.

If it were up to me, 14 would be the maximum level anyway. Next best thing would be RP XP everywhere but the outskirts, until the temple is a smoking crater.

We don't need any new hubs, we have a million useful areas on the server already, the amenities and conveniences of hubs are not required for RP to take place. It just pans out that way when you stack everything in one place, people go use it without caring too much about the IC side of things no matter how much you tell them where they should be.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

softdrink

• Undead Slayer
  • Power Overflowing
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2021, 06:11:35 PM »
I love RPXP.
It's like god mixed crack and heroin and ketamine and meth and a very nice way of getting XP, given that, on an RP server, I do a lot of RP.
And I think RP should be rewarded.  Anyone can bum rush dungeons day in and day out, stopping only because of blind drive, and end up in the mist camp permanently.

Frankly, I see no reason why rpxp should be restricted to JUST outside of western barovia, when western barovia is one of the three hubs actually populated, includes multiple 'home bases' for certain races, has an underground scene, and in general is frankly more interesting than the other hubs.

So I say, let everywhere get full rp xp

or let nowhere get full rp xp.

It's not like rpxp is what keeps high levels out of Barovia - it doesn't, they just show up to schwack an ampc when they near their timer.
a way to alleviate this would be moving some of the features of WeBa to EaBa, however this would, arguably, split up the playerbase even more, however I do not see that as much of an issue - there's plenty of players

Well said, my character doesn't really have much of a reason to exit Western Barovia too often, along with them not really being one for Port or hanging around the Mist Camp.
I don't care too much about not having RPXP there, but it would be nice to have.

RP should be rewarded on an RP server, so why shoo away characters from a large hub of the server, when a lot of interesting things to talk about and see happen down there?

I'd much rather RP with people most times than go on a ton of mindless dungeon runs, so getting a miniscule amount of progress from the RP I elect to do mainly would be pretty nice.

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2021, 06:40:27 PM »
I'll just say this much, there absolutely are plenty of threats for even level 20+ characters, no matter where you are in Ravenloft, simply due to how the demiplane works. Nobody is safe, nobody is more powerful than the Dark Powers, and nothing of great significance can happen without them knowing or probably letting it happen.

In Barovia these threats are manyfold, some of them are spoilers, others are obvious (like Strahd), and I can personally say that even as a high-level character there isn't a feeling of safety in Barovia. Sure, you can bully a bunch of young werewolves. You can beat up on talentless fledgling vampires. Elder vampires are still stronger and smarter than you, and older, tougher and bigger werewolves are still pretty scary. You can put up a fight against AMPCs and be a force they have to be somewhat wary of. That's a very interesting way for RP to unfold as well.
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2021, 09:00:11 PM »
I enjoy the memes against Port RP. I sit in my high chair like a French king, crack open a bottle of wine, and smirk smugly with my lack of minor RP XP messages and my very regular events. Come take the Dementlieu pill.

edit: really though it isnt all noble stuff. Come be a terrorist or an underworld criminal or something.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 09:07:46 PM by Dale »

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2021, 09:09:26 PM »
really though it isnt all noble stuff. Come be a terrorist or an underworld criminal or something.

Not interested. But I like there’s a place for people to play and feel rewarded for doing so for that kind of RP. All I ask is the same be afforded to those of us who prefer Barovia. 

SwordChucks

• Undead Master
  • What me worry?
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2021, 09:09:35 PM »
I enjoy the memes against Port RP. I sit in my high chair like a French king, crack open a bottle of wine, and smirk smugly with my lack of minor RP XP messages and my very regular events. Come take the Dementlieu pill.

edit: really though it isnt all noble stuff. Come be a terrorist or an underworld criminal or something.

LOL.. someone who can take a joke.. =)   I think Port RP is pretty cool, even all the noble stuff.. But I recently discovered the Meme thread with the little Baguette guy.. and frankly.. why that isnt the mascot for POTM is beyond me..

But not to derail further.. it would be nice to sit back and soak in the RP XP in Vallaki as wel

Laur

• The Underworld
  • Outlander
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2021, 09:18:17 PM »
I enjoy port rp and also baguette au fromage, and I don't think all port rp is like this but it certainly has a certain flavor and 'social rp' aspect that not everyone enjoys.

I don't think, personally, it is fair for me to have a mechanical advantage based solely on my interest in roleplaying in Port at this time, which I do by continuing to have RPXP effectively no matter where I go on my Port character. I think letting faction bases gain RP XP would be a great start, especially DM supported ones- but I would also say having it extend to the Sanctuary and the tavern in the outskirts would be a great way to encourage people to use those spaces, especially at night- even having RPXP turned on in there JUST at night would be interesting.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2021, 10:38:09 PM »
really though it isnt all noble stuff. Come be a terrorist or an underworld criminal or something.

Not interested. But I like there’s a place for people to play and feel rewarded for doing so for that kind of RP. All I ask is the same be afforded to those of us who prefer Barovia.

RP XP and the lack of it is the least of your concerns if you're comparing RP out in Nowhere, Barovia to the full package Dementlieu offers, and I'm not just talking about how there's a baguette model ingame but no turnip, or how Port is event city while Barovia, despite its size, is rarely the focus of any plot activity.

The one objective trade-up you get is how large Barovia is. Yet some of its inconveniences make people avoid the domain.

In spite of all the server's decade+ history, there's somewhere shy of a dozen people actively RPing native Barovians. There are three, maybe almost four times as many people RPing Dementlieuse characters. But Vallaki is huge and spread out, where Port is compact and convenient. You can also find people standing on the side of the road or at the terraces every single day. This is not true in Vallaki, and the outskirts doesn't really have anything to do with Vallaki so it doesn't count.

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2021, 11:06:51 PM »

RP XP and the lack of it is the least of your concerns if you're comparing RP out in Nowhere, Barovia to the full package Dementlieu offers, and I'm not just talking about how there's a baguette model ingame but no turnip, or how Port is event city while Barovia, despite its size, is rarely the focus of any plot activity.

The one objective trade-up you get is how large Barovia is. Yet some of its inconveniences make people avoid the domain.

In spite of all the server's decade+ history, there's somewhere shy of a dozen people actively RPing native Barovians. There are three, maybe almost four times as many people RPing Dementlieuse characters. But Vallaki is huge and spread out, where Port is compact and convenient. You can also find people standing on the side of the road or at the terraces every single day. This is not true in Vallaki, and the outskirts doesn't really have anything to do with Vallaki so it doesn't count.

I don’t know what this has to do with the post. People are allowed preferences and mine isn’t with what happens in Port. Thus why I made this thread.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2021, 11:19:08 PM »
All those faction bases in Barovia are not generating long-term attraction. They generate short term attraction over a long period of time. A significant number -- the overwhelming majority -- of faction players become inactive some time (e.g. within a couple months) after joining, or shelf the characters more or less indefinitely for many reasons others & I have posted about previously. Factions are understaffed as a result, to the point that membership in & involvement with noble houses of Dementlieu outnumber them.

The point of my post isn't that all those people were chasing the RP XP or fleeing what is perceived as a "high levels get out" mentality of Barovia. To reiterate, I'm not making up motives for other people. This is just raw information. If you want to learn why people play in Port and not Barovia, read their forum posts on the topic, or ask them individually.

The point of my post is to say that RP XP is just one very small reason to the very big problem that faction play & native play in Barovia are almost nonexistent compared to what's seen in Dementlieu. What's actually missing is DM interest (there will never be involvement without interest) and DM interest is hard to drum up when there aren't many players around for them to take an interest in.

You can't jam everyone into one tent, but Barovia's tent blew away because there weren't enough people holding it down, is what I'm saying. People are allowed preferences, but while those preferences may be respected, that doesn't necessarily mean action will be taken. RP XP isn't going to bring something back to Barovia that was never there. It's going to take a few if not several active DMs and a large number of players interested in Barovian-based native & faction play.

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2021, 11:24:13 PM »
I’ve had plenty of meaningful RP in Barovia over the last few months, including events with DMs. I believe you may be missing the point of this post though, as this is not in any way attempting to “breathe life” into Barovia, or draw people to Barovia. The point here is to allow those characters who still play there over 14 with good reason to be rewarded for their RP just like they would anywhere else.

Anything further than that is not part of my request, nor do I feel any need to bring my character to Port. Again, glad it’s there for people who want it. It’s not for me.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2021, 11:27:53 PM »
You can see in my post history that I agree with you, but given the dev team's stance you too will be expected to provide a long list of reasons why level 14 isn't enough only to be told the cap isn't changing due to close monitoring of metrics not available to you.