Author Topic: Faction RP XP (Level 14+)  (Read 7959 times)

ScalesofEquilibrium

• Church of Ezra - Flock of the Last Redoubt
  • Outlander
Re: Faction RP XP (Level 14+)
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2021, 03:38:16 PM »
I’ve decided to write up my two cents for this thread. Some of these points I’ve made in other threads. Some of these are going to be very controversial. But I think I’ve come to a conclusion in support of the RP Cap in Barovia. In fact, I would argue an attitude of a ‘level cap’ – merely an attitude, not mechanically enforced – is in order – and I suspect that is the reasoning behind all of this.

---

On Port

First, I want to address all the nonsense joking about Port RP in this thread and plainly state that it really is not as funny as you may think it is, especially in this context. A lot of the ‘joking’ on this thread is borderline if not directly insulting to the style of play and RP that a good chunk of the server enjoys – because it implies that Port RP is a server-wide ‘problem’. Please try to keep that in mind and be respectful of your fellow players.

Port RP is in my honest opinion not only unique to the server, but unique to Neverwinter Nights as a whole. If efforts were made to strip qualities from it (and some already have), the opportunities for fantastic and different RP would vanish into just another place with some light dressing. As someone who has played this game going on two decades, this is refreshing. It is not for everyone – but I refute the idea that the server demands everyone get used to Port. That is not the case at all, and I will explain why below.

---

On Barovia, RP XP, and what I deem the conflict between Grimdark setting and persistent world expectation.

I’m just going to begin with my main points here and now, bold and simple.

Grimdark and High Levels do not go together.

High Level play is in direct opposition to the setting and feeling of Barovia.

Gaining levels is a trap for one who wishes such an experience.

A lot of this may feel repetitive, but some of the very basic premises of Ravenloft as a setting, and Grimdark as an experience, is limited level and power. One complaint we see from AMPCs and Barovian PCs consistently is High Level PCs storming in when trouble arises. This is because that is in direct opposition to what the Barovian experience is supposed to be about. PC’s in Barovia are supposed to be at a limited level and power. Garda are supposed to be at a limited level. Factions within Barovia should be to some extent lesser in power than even their counterparts elsewhere.

Immediately a retort comes to mind – how can that be fair?

Grimdark is not meant to be fair and equal to everyone who participates. Nor is it meant to be a means by which a character grows into a powerful being capable of stopping and solving the problem. The very act of leveling up to the point to be able to easily beat AMPCs misses the point. This is why Ravenloft modules sue for low level characters, and generally end gameplay in Barovia around level 10. Anything beyond that strips the very point of ‘Fearing the Night’.

Ravenloft was built for the table, not for the persistent world. In comes the compromise. We know from a simple evaluation of low-level, high-mortality servers that most players in Neverwinter Nights do not enjoy the experience. We know that, with how much time we dedicate from our lives to build that of our character, we do not want life to be as cheap – this isn’t a weekly game of DnD but days, weeks, months, and even years of the unique character-building experience that is Neverwinter Nights.

Barovia, and the Factions within, I think need to be kept to the same level 14 RP cap as everyone else. In fact, I believe level 14 to be very generous given the small gap between it and level 20. As immediately reprehensible as the stopping of progression may seem on the surface, I believe this is how you maintain the grimdark atmosphere of Barovia and scratch that itch for the style of play. Level 15+ characters in Barovia with a focus on Barovia I think hurt the setting. Unless they are willing to exclusively act as patrons to lower-level adventuring groups and lower ranked membership of a faction – but I think that is the purpose of level 14’s in Barovia.

I would argue players who make dedicated characters to Barovia should be able to opt-in to a level cap with certain benefits. By sacrificing progression and access to many parts of the server, they instead remain to promote the atmos of low-level play for the rest of us. What are these benefits? I don’t want to speculate nor do I have it in mind as I write this. It is just a thought.

Something else to help the atmosphere would be mechanically level capping areas around that part of Barovia. AMPCs can prowl areas knowing a level 20 mist camp gank squad is not around the corner. Players who decide to move on to other parts of the server consider their respective pursuits ‘bigger fish to fry’ than what is happening in Barovia.

This OOC understanding and expectation can feel very meta, can feel like it is a means to split the player base – but as long as expectations are clearly cut out from the beginning, players can make informed decisions on what they want to do and participate in. I am by no means asking to restrict high level players from RP areas in Barovia. They can visit – just as Barovians can visit elsewhere. But when it comes to dangers, facing monsters, and going after threats… each agree to focus on their areas and come up with IC reasoning to help facilitate the style of play.

That about concludes my ramble. Hope it makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 03:47:34 PM by ScalesofEquilibrium »
Abigail Shuttleworth - Active

Senna Merula - Shelved

Holgard

• Outlander
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2021, 03:42:22 PM »
I see more people saying that AMPCs are consistently complaining about high level players in Barovia. Since my last post here, I have not complained about having to deal with high levels. Neither have any of the other AMPCs that I talk to on daily. This is likely a thing of the past, I personally don't care if a high level comes to Barovia to try and slap me around.

I think that it's worth saying it again.

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2021, 03:51:56 PM »
Barovia, and the Factions within, I think need to be kept to the same level 14 RP cap as everyone else. In fact, I believe level 14 to be very generous given the small gap between it and level 20. As immediately reprehensible as the stopping of progression may seem on the surface, I believe this is how you maintain the grimdark atmosphere of Barovia and scratch that itch for the style of play. Level 15+ characters in Barovia with a focus on Barovia I think hurt the setting. Unless they are willing to exclusively act as patrons to lower-level adventuring groups and lower ranked membership of a faction – but I think that is the purpose of level 14’s in Barovia.

There's a lot in your post that I disagree with that I've already posted elsewhere, but I feel like this deserved some highlighting.

Grimdark can be Grimdark regardless of level. I have gone on adventures in Barovia with characters who are over level 17, and the Grimdark setting still held true, in Barovia. Artificial caps don't do any actual limiting of the Grimdark experience. The experience comes from proper roleplay and respect of the setting, which can be respected or disrespected regardless of level.

As someone that is 14+ and will continue playing in Barovia, having surrounded myself with people who are higher level than me, I've never felt like the Grimdark part of the setting has been disregarded or disrespected. These elements exist for all levels, and have for the last few months. Perhaps especially for the factions (which is why this original post was geared towards factions), but even those not in the faction who are over 14 have experienced Grimdark elements, and had their characters effected by it.

Truthfully, if we're going to be level capping anything, it should be a server wide cap of level 12. Server wide... So Barovia, Port, Hazlan, everywhere. But that won't happen.

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2021, 03:53:22 PM »
Well, I don't remember quite what it was I wrote before my text was removed accidently.
But I do remember my compromises

1. Remove RP XP entirely.
2. Equal RPXP (to 14) for all areas.
3. Full RPXP for all areas.
secret option: level 14 cap
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can, however, respond to JustMonika's statement
It is not about 'deserving', it is about one area specifically being designed as a low level experience and the server administration making a concious effort to encourage players to migrate their characters literally anywhere else on the server when they exceed the designed level cap.

Unfortunately, I do not think the administration's method of high-level push out works.  Infact, I believe it actually ENFORCES the port-hate due to a haves and haves-not system.
I preface this with: I don't actually hate port, it's just a bit of banter and fun but they do they and I do me.

Part of the issue is the 'literally anywhere else' is very few areas actually allow for this.
I'll go down the list.
Eastern Barovia: Empty and atmospherically against players existing there (Strahd's right there)
Hazlan: Non-native caster or religion? Can't be there.  Non-human?  Can't be there, unless you want to be a slave.
Har Akir: Empty
Blaustein: Empty
Mist Camp: Meme central and not conducive to roleplay.  You can try, but the stigma is there.
Ghastria: Empty
Port: Completely different roleplay, completely different atmosphere
Port underground: Mostly empty as far as I know

Can roleplay be built in these areas?  Surely they can, but it is a lot of effort and time to put into it that may just...puff into the wind once the movers and shakers leave, go on break, or get tired of it.  I don't have that kind of energy or time in me, I've spent enough time RP and I don't want to try and create something that might not ever happen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back on topic
If faction RPXP is a thing, what determines if a faction is deserving of it.  Obviously, official factions, but what of player factions?  Are they to choose between no progression or moving to somewhere that may or may not make sense for them? If you collect ten active people for your group, are you not just as deserving as the other factions?
Second, does this RPXP only count for faction members (those currently in a faction hierarchy)? This would likely disuade people from rping with these factions if they do not give rpxp.
Third, is this even possible?  Who is going to create the factionRPXP zone code and designate every area of a faction with this property?  If player factions count, then who will add and re-add the property every time a rental changes?
The logistics of the faction RPXP system don't really make sense.

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2021, 04:33:41 PM »
It would have been a few threads ago now but I believe at some point either MAB or EO mentioned that with the numbers they've analyzed, the concept of pushing High Levels out of Western Barovia was a success overall.

That being said, having RP XP on an RP server but having it not apply to everyone will always be a silly concept to me.  Either have it apply to all players or remove it.  No matter how you swing it it comes across that even if you're a responsible player your stories and RP matter less than someone else.  Trying to pretty it up by giving it some sort of extra purpose doesn't really change that in my opinion.

Irumi

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2021, 04:47:16 PM »
I just wonder at some point if it's the immersive Barovian experience that's being sought why is it a requirement to move when you're out of RP XP? Is it an obligation to move because our character doesn't gain stats anymore? The development remains possible on the roleplay and personal level, it's a good limit that forces players to think a little bit more during situations involving pvp / Dm / Mpc conflict.

I can't really complain because I didn't play my character higher than a certain level in this region but it was more of a question from me on this point. What is the difference between the level 20 cap in the global game and the level 14 cap, does reaching this cap imply to stop playing?

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2021, 05:38:29 PM »
To Armada, and trying not to go into a long post;

Competition between players in different spheres of influence is the core of the issue.

Numerous examples could be cited by fifty odd people of higher levels dunking on lower levels, its an argument as old as time. Beaten to death.

Roleplay XP as it is, does do its work of pushing the spheres apart, higher levels stay in higher areas, usually, because they can get higher levels there. The spheres still overlap during events unfortunately, instigated PvP or otherwise. Challenges become geared toward the highest contenders, be it skills rolled during roleplay or actual combat.

The issue isnt people stopping playing when they reach X level, but numerous small issues arise when people want to continue playing regardless of level. Irksome, minor first world problem issues that form into a massive pile of complaints.

softdrink

• Undead Slayer
  • Power Overflowing
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2021, 06:11:30 PM »
I just wonder at some point if it's the immersive Barovian experience that's being sought why is it a requirement to move when you're out of RP XP? Is it an obligation to move because our character doesn't gain stats anymore? The development remains possible on the roleplay and personal level, it's a good limit that forces players to think a little bit more during situations involving pvp / Dm / Mpc conflict.

I can't really complain because I didn't play my character higher than a certain level in this region but it was more of a question from me on this point. What is the difference between the level 20 cap in the global game and the level 14 cap, does reaching this cap imply to stop playing?

It's not a requirement to leave nor is it implied that you have to stop playing, it simply discourages players from being active in the area past a certain point.
Plenty of people past level 14+ play in the area fairly regularly, myself included, and don't truly care about the XP gained from RP there whatsoever, it's more of the fact of as stated earlier, you don't want to do anything meaningful in the area. Once you hit level 12 you're basically pushed to wrap it up and go somewhere else, no matter what you may have been involved in before hand, the friends you made or any stories attempting to be told.

Take away the RPXP from all areas, now everyone is in the same boat. Your character would have to go to wildly different areas they likely have no reason to be in just to have anything get done. Think about someone who starts in Port, they lose that slow burn XP they could have used to progress while actually telling their story. Take it away however and now this person who has no real reason to be in these areas are now going there simply so they don't get left even more so in the dust by the people who dungeon run like mad. It's character development two-fold.

I see the RPXP reward as your character growing from the conversations they have along with the experiences they have.
So why does the growth of your character stop simply because you passed a threshold? They can have new experiences and change in many ways by what happens to them while they're in Barovia, no matter what level they are, so why bother restricting the reward that is, again, present everywhere -but- western Barovia?

Level 14+ players will naturally go to the MC and areas beyond if they want the XP from dungeoning and such, regardless of any imposed restriction needlessly placed on the west.
The system doesn't stop anything from happening, because these things were always going to happen. People who want to dungeon are going to the MC, while people who want to roleplay in the west will still roleplay in the west. It really just tells players "You can roleplay here all you want, but you really should have done it somewhere else."

« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 06:23:08 PM by softdrink »

cheese tornado

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2021, 08:09:38 PM »
I've been thinking about how to respond to this for a bit, I'm not the best at forum posts, nor putting across my thoughts in a clear and concise manner. I play a (currently) level 10 Morninglordian Cleric, the thought of being capped at level 14 is horrifying to me, because I can only think of one reason to ever leave Vallaki (or Barovia as a whole), and that is church outreach, which, doesn't happen as much, nor is it supported, encouraged or really necessary. The Morninglord church specifically has been designated as a support structure for low levels, as every (even some highbies) have at some point sought shelter from Old Night. It's likely to remain such, and being part of the faction is a privilege, to be able to anchor yourself in something so canon is fun, though I find I burn out a bit and so I take breaks. Should I reach level 13, or 14, I can only imagine this is why so many MLers end up retiring, MPCing their toons or just quitting.

I hereby lend my voice in supporting the OP suggestion of faction based RP exp. Some players CAN be trusted with restraint, to pull their punches and not go full HAM on MPCs. But as Holgard stated, even if we were to go HAM on some MPC, that's okay too, because the threat can and should flow both ways. We need to take care going into the Night because of BBEG Vampires, but if we had the ability to be higher level, they would need to pick their fights too. I've seen heaps of high level players pull their punches, allow for story and RPing, even if they could machine-gun down MPCs... Maybe it's because I'm a newer player (just one year) and I don't see the world people are describing when they say high levels in Barovia are a problem anymore.

I ramble a little, i'm sorry, wordz are hardz.

torugor

• New to the Mists
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2021, 08:11:27 PM »
I think RPXP got a new value now that it helps people go down their cap.
It was never great...but if it takes you back to killing monsters and gaining xp....then people will seek it.

Gona tell my experience....sometime ago my character got to the upper xp cap. Couldnt get a single xp point from killing anything.

So i thought: "Well...i need to rp a lot to go back to normal.."
Passed sometime on myst camp..but you know what kind rp i usually get on myst camp? People asking me to go out kill monsters. And that made me feel like the guy out of the playground because everybody was going to have fun killing monsters and i couldnt..or at least i couldnt if wanted to get my cap down.

So i thought...where can i go to get REAL roleplay? Port was an option but i am always fully armored...so cant go there. HAzlani would kill me. All that was left is barovia. And in barovia i found rp...but my xp didnt go up. So what i did? Left my character rest for 2 weeks and then later i came back.

So what was accomplished? I lost 2 weeks not playing.  Is it the purpose of the game for me not play? I doubt it.

I was a DM of tabletop rpg once...and to my opition...RP should always be rewarded. NO MATTER what. RP is the core of dungeons and dragons...its what make it more than just a hackn slash diablo game. It should always be rewarded. No matter where. And a rp between a high lvl character and a low lvl character makes no difference. In fact...your character shouldnt know the difference.

Taking gear aside...and gear depends on wealth and not always related with lvl....your character shouldnt know the difference between a lvl 1 warrior and a lvl 20 monk. Roleplay knows no level. Makes no sense talk about levels on roleplay. Levels are a mechanical thing. And not rewarding a high lvl character for doing good rp is bad decision on my book.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 08:33:32 PM by torugor »

Abear

• Dark Lord
  • You are not a human being.
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2021, 09:10:03 PM »
No matter how you swing it it comes across that even if you're a responsible player your stories and RP matter less than someone else. Trying to pretty it up by giving it some sort of extra purpose doesn't really change that in my opinion.

This is how it feels, yes.
Current: Sásha Kostoviç
Occasionally: Blair Florescu

Siobhan

• Undead Master
  • Till human voices wake us, and we drown.
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2021, 11:25:53 PM »
No matter how you swing it it comes across that even if you're a responsible player your stories and RP matter less than someone else. Trying to pretty it up by giving it some sort of extra purpose doesn't really change that in my opinion.

I played a higher level character who almost exclusively RPed out of the Drain (Eliza Sorry). I believe strongly that I added to the RP atmosphere of Vallaki by running events, RPing with MPCs rather than pushing them out, and generally being around to chat up folks in the Drain.

However, at the back of my mind was _always_ the little reminder that my contributions to the server in this location are not as valued as someone in the other RP Hubs. I pushed through it, of course, and enjoyed phenomenal roleplay with the folks in the Drain over my character's entire lifespan, but it was annoying to know that my RP choices put me at a mechanical disadvantage to players who based themselves out of Port or the Mist Camp.

I feel strongly that the RP XP cap in Barovia has served its purpose as was intended back when it was added. There is a ton of movement across the server and the other domains are visited because people _want_ to go there. I don't think we need a stick to drive characters out of Vallaki, when the carrots of interesting RP locales, dungeon adventures, and cool amenities elsewere are abundant and well known by the playerbase at large.

The stick just feels bad for the players who care the most about the Vallaki setting :(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 11:32:38 PM by Siobhan »
Mariana Dragavei

Formerly: Eliza Sorry, Shrixenna Lueltar

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2021, 03:59:24 AM »
it was annoying to know that my RP choices put me at a mechanical disadvantage to players who based themselves out of Port or the Mist Camp.

So you fear PVP against people from beyond the mist wall, essentially?
And your character is so encroached in the drain that wouldnt leave her place in roder to kill mummies and salamanders?

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

softdrink

• Undead Slayer
  • Power Overflowing
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2021, 04:19:39 AM »
it was annoying to know that my RP choices put me at a mechanical disadvantage to players who based themselves out of Port or the Mist Camp.

And your character is so encroached in the drain that wouldnt leave her place in roder to kill mummies and salamanders?

I'm not sure how you got a fear of PVP from this post, but I don't believe this is what they're trying to say.

Some characters simply don't want to go faceroll mummies or salamanders and would prefer to stay where they are and keep on doing what they're doing.

Vissy

• Dark Lord
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2021, 04:25:07 AM »

I played a higher level character who almost exclusively RPed out of the Drain (Eliza Sorry). I believe strongly that I added to the RP atmosphere of Vallaki by running events, RPing with MPCs rather than pushing them out, and generally being around to chat up folks in the Drain.

However, at the back of my mind was _always_ the little reminder that my contributions to the server in this location are not as valued as someone in the other RP Hubs. I pushed through it, of course, and enjoyed phenomenal roleplay with the folks in the Drain over my character's entire lifespan, but it was annoying to know that my RP choices put me at a mechanical disadvantage to players who based themselves out of Port or the Mist Camp.

I feel strongly that the RP XP cap in Barovia has served its purpose as was intended back when it was added. There is a ton of movement across the server and the other domains are visited because people _want_ to go there. I don't think we need a stick to drive characters out of Vallaki, when the carrots of interesting RP locales, dungeon adventures, and cool amenities elsewere are abundant and well known by the playerbase at large.

The stick just feels bad for the players who care the most about the Vallaki setting :(

Agreed!
Active Character: Heir Andarateia, Lia Lanthaloran
Other Character(s): Gilraine Alean'ani
Shelved Character(s): Vinyafael Yavanna, Callistrae Dawnshadow, Vika van Voytz
Closured Character(s): Rakel Leviken, Celeste Seifert

Abear

• Dark Lord
  • You are not a human being.
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2021, 04:53:42 AM »

You're still at a mechanical disadvantage. And, having played a character for an extensive amount of time in Vallaki, in a conflict heavy faction (Red Vardo), I constantly was watching enemies I made simply move to the mist camp for a month, and shoot past me in level. RPXP adds up. It's real.
Current: Sásha Kostoviç
Occasionally: Blair Florescu

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2021, 05:13:01 AM »

I'm not sure how you got a fear of PVP from this post, but I don't believe this is what they're trying to say.

Some characters simply don't want to go faceroll mummies or salamanders and would prefer to stay where they are and keep on doing what they're doing.

because they spoke of disadvantages. Against whom? I inferred they were talking about more powerful people that would antagonize their character that chose not to go levelling up away. I was not sure, so i asked.

You're still at a mechanical disadvantage. And, having played a character for an extensive amount of time in Vallaki, in a conflict heavy faction (Red Vardo), I constantly was watching enemies I made simply move to the mist camp for a month, and shoot past me in level. RPXP adds up. It's real.

So yes?

I need to clarify, i am not being sarcastic or loaded, i genuinely dont know the answer of this question.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

cheese tornado

« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2021, 06:53:38 AM »

because they spoke of disadvantages. Against whom? I inferred they were talking about more powerful people that would antagonize their character that chose not to go levelling up away. I was not sure, so i asked.

So yes?

I need to clarify, i am not being sarcastic or loaded, i genuinely dont know the answer of this question.
The way you've worded "so you fear pvp from beyong the mist wall, essentially?" does sound a little sarcastic and dismissive of a genuine concern. Players like myself are anchored to Vallaki for very real reasons, we simply cannot go off and go levelling very far, and very often. What kind of Morninglordian of Vallaki's Parish would I be if I rarely set foot in Vallaki, or Barovia because of my need to dungeon in order to get exp (putting aside the fact that Morninglordians cannot just go to the wolf cave or go kill waifs and criminals in the port, only the undead are the enemies of the dawn). Using myself as the example only, though I understand Red Vardo have a bit more flexibility, as merchants and shady persons  :twisted: , I have seen Ezrites in the Mist Camp, and they have a concreted faction base in the Port as well allowing more flexibility. Members of the Drain faction and the Morninglord church are anchored to these locations, Garda too for that matter. Exceptions are always possible, but to look to them first is silly IMO

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2021, 08:18:38 AM »
cross my heart, i was not dismissive. I only had a couple characters so far in the server, and my playing style naturally drifts towards some things and avoids others, so i have no experience of other people's specific experiences. Never been in the drain, hate PVP with all the fibers of my soul and never camped in the mists, to say a few.

So fearing pvp for a kind of character that lives in an environment i know nothing about is a genuine question i dont know the answer for. I literally know nothing about what the vardo do all day except maybe filling ledgers and ninjalooting places (i guess?).

For some reason, i presumed factions within Vallaki mostly interacted with one another, so if they are all capped to lvl 14... i mean no biggie. The problem comes if for some reason there are plots that cross factions from say Port and Vallaki, so then I can understand the issue. But as i said, i have no experience of that, so i asked.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 08:21:48 AM by Maffa »

Character List:

Marph - Closured

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2021, 09:41:15 AM »
cross my heart, i was not dismissive. I only had a couple characters so far in the server, and my playing style naturally drifts towards some things and avoids others, so i have no experience of other people's specific experiences. Never been in the drain, hate PVP with all the fibers of my soul and never camped in the mists, to say a few.

So fearing pvp for a kind of character that lives in an environment i know nothing about is a genuine question i dont know the answer for. I literally know nothing about what the vardo do all day except maybe filling ledgers and ninjalooting places (i guess?).

For some reason, i presumed factions within Vallaki mostly interacted with one another, so if they are all capped to lvl 14... i mean no biggie. The problem comes if for some reason there are plots that cross factions from say Port and Vallaki, so then I can understand the issue. But as i said, i have no experience of that, so i asked.

Some factions are more willing to depart Western Barovia than others, despite having their hubs in the Vallaki region. Degannwy, for instance, has several high-level characters well above the level 14 threshold.

European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

cheese tornado

« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2021, 09:49:06 AM »

These factions should interact with one another, but they don't. Morninglord faction intersects with Kinship, garda and sometimes the Ezrite church. Very rarely would we have any involvement with say, the RVT. Garda and RVT intersect I imagine, Kinship and Garda too from time to time. Degannwy is a bit of a wildcard, as they can have broad reach. Drain and Morninglord church too, Natalya is always welcoming Caliban at night. But being capped at level 14 is the killer, characters might retire because there is no mechanical progression, which is a thing I, personally, and many others, require.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2021, 06:46:57 PM »
The ferry should be deleted because it is most easily abused by high levels for whom money is not an object. This should make room for RP XP in Vallaki after level 14.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

softdrink

• Undead Slayer
  • Power Overflowing
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2021, 07:08:43 PM »
The ferry should be deleted because it is most easily abused by high levels for whom money is not an object. This should make room for RP XP in Vallaki after level 14.

I'd take this tbh

Rocket

• Undead Slayer
  • Prepare for Trouble
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2021, 06:04:26 AM »
I think its best to give up your hopes for the RPXP penalty to be removed.

Yes its sad. I read on here many examples which are the same as my own, where my high level character would be generating roleplay, plot, and atmosphere in an otherwise barren area. Giving guidance and plot hooks to new characters. Its all great and dandy, but no XP gain.

So what to do:

1. RP more. With actual quality RP. The meme crap tier RP in mist camp should be flushed down the toilet.

2. RP is actually faster XP that dungeoning on the long run. I saw too many in here speaking from a misconception that it is slower. Gather up a trio of players who are responsive, more is always better and get into some business and bonding. If you can start conflict with another group, start conflict. RP and craft is another good option. You will blow levels past those who run dungeon after dungeon.

3. The trouble is many players have a hard time finding quality RP. The server population needs to make use of "looking for roleplay", but I don't know how to cause such a shift. I don't think anyone actually uses it. I forget if that feature displays your location, but if it doesn't, the developers ought to make it do so. First, give your character an ic reason to go one of these high level zones. Find an IC reason to leave your comfy faction in Barovia. Then go and turn your RP flag on. Or bring people with you! I know some players take issue, their character would not fit in Port or Hazlan. How about the others? We have the problem that some of the preferable zones for a character are simply empty such as Blaustein or Har'akir. But if roleplay beacons are lit and players use this feature, they will go there. And hopefully you give an effort in your RP, that you all come back to these locations routinely and form RP bonds that will extend beyond the first meeting.

4. Get out there and tell a damn story. Be interesting. Involve your character.

Thankfully this server has many players who do great RP. I wish more followed their lead!

This could be YOU, with a little RP.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 06:14:51 AM by Rocket »

torugor

• New to the Mists
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2021, 08:29:57 AM »
That would be great.
Problem is most places have dungeon-related rp.
It is a big issue...specially to  a server who says rp is so important...

I think there should be more hubs.

Once i tried to go east barovia and live with my character there. After a few posts EO told me with all letters that it should not be a hub.

I think Har'akir could be a great hub, lots of dungeons and stuff to do. And a great tale of the desert. Man that place could be really fun to have many factions...but the curse says it can never prosper.

Hazlan is great...if anyone wants to have great rp go to hazlan...there is a place the dms found a nice spot...I hear port is a nice spot too.

I think the main issue here is that Myst camp is the main hub. And myst camp is not even a city...its a camp of vistanis. It has its own bank and fortress and right now...its the best place to find people. But its also a hub for people wanting to go find dungeons. So the main rp there is "lets group up and go kill mobs...somewhere".

And people in the myst camp not even say "lets go to hazlan..." they say "lets go kill cursts." They dont say lets go to braunstein they say "lets go kill some squids on the shipwreck". I think it should be seen as a disaster....because it takes away all the lore and effort dms put on the place and make it become a hacknslash game. Tell you more...least in barovia to get to the vestibules one would have to pass the city....and if they casted magic every npc would complain. Hazlan you can go to the cursts dungeon on the most xenophobic and anti-foreigner place ever and cast spells without the authorization of hazlik and nobody...NOBODY will complain. So hazlan to most players is a place where there is the dungeon of cursts. And that's it.

I think the best way to create great rp is to use more of the domains...to make people to fix their group and factions ont he domains, be part of it...live there and be deeply related with all that happens in that domain. Would be great to have housing...if housing existed i would no doubt have my character fixed in the domain where my house is.  Right now if you think about it...most domains is not really seen as domains, but as places where that particular dungeon is.

People want to log and find other players. The game already penalizes a lot if you log to do dungeons alone and nobody will be rping with the npc. So you have to find other players. If the place to find others is Myst camp, that's where you will go. If the main thing you do in the myst camp is to group up to go to a dungeon, that's what everybody will do. The game is ASKING us not to rp, but to form groups to go do dungeons.

I think its best to give up your hopes for the RPXP penalty to be removed.

Yes its sad. I read on here many examples which are the same as my own, where my high level character would be generating roleplay, plot, and atmosphere in an otherwise barren area. Giving guidance and plot hooks to new characters. Its all great and dandy, but no XP gain.

So what to do:

1. RP more. With actual quality RP. The meme crap tier RP in mist camp should be flushed down the toilet.

2. RP is actually faster XP that dungeoning on the long run. I saw too many in here speaking from a misconception that it is slower. Gather up a trio of players who are responsive, more is always better and get into some business and bonding. If you can start conflict with another group, start conflict. RP and craft is another good option. You will blow levels past those who run dungeon after dungeon.

3. The trouble is many players have a hard time finding quality RP. The server population needs to make use of "looking for roleplay", but I don't know how to cause such a shift. I don't think anyone actually uses it. I forget if that feature displays your location, but if it doesn't, the developers ought to make it do so. First, give your character an ic reason to go one of these high level zones. Find an IC reason to leave your comfy faction in Barovia. Then go and turn your RP flag on. Or bring people with you! I know some players take issue, their character would not fit in Port or Hazlan. How about the others? We have the problem that some of the preferable zones for a character are simply empty such as Blaustein or Har'akir. But if roleplay beacons are lit and players use this feature, they will go there. And hopefully you give an effort in your RP, that you all come back to these locations routinely and form RP bonds that will extend beyond the first meeting.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 10:49:04 AM by torugor »