You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Faction RP XP (Level 14+)  (Read 7955 times)

Famous Seamus

• Dark Lord
Re: Faction RP XP (Level 14+)
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2021, 11:12:30 PM »
I am quite certain it is my arguments you are mischaracterising, but I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you might have misread or misunderstood what I said.

**SNIP**

I was mainly speaking about your points, yes--and it looks like I misunderstood them. Sorry for the confusion. I definitely didn't mean to misconstrue your words or attack you, and I appreciate you clarifying.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2021, 11:15:27 PM »
Well, out of the misunderstanding we have an agreement and a clarification (from the detailed post you made) for anyone who might have misunderstood the tone of my post. No harm, no foul. :mrgreen:
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2021, 03:48:22 AM »
Wait, the point of taking the RPXP away from char beyond a certain point is because they cant already take any kill Xp in vallaki, unless they start farming alpha werewolves. Since that would hte the only source of Xp theyd get in Vallaki, the DM took that away too.

So saying "Take RPXP away from everybody else" argument makes no sense.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

SwordChucks

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Undead Master
  • What me worry?
« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2021, 08:56:47 AM »
Living in Barovia past a certain level entails divorcing the concept of advancement from character level.  This works out much better for RP oriented players than action oriented players.
Excellent, we should expect the same from Port players too then. There is nothing unique about Barovia that this limitation need be applied to it specifically.

What is unique about Barovia is that it has been specifically designed by the Devolopment team to be a hub for lower level characters, not for higher level ones. The rest of the server, which the RPXP Cap does not apply to, of which Dementlieu is only a small part, has been specifically designed for higher level play.

You are welcome to debate the merits of that choice, but the reasoning has been made clear several times in this thread and elsewhere as to why the cap exists.

To your first point - and yet higher levels still play there …

To your second point - WalMart refused to offer organic options for a long time as well. Amazing how continued, repeated requests from the public changed that.

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2021, 09:02:08 AM »
Wait, the point of taking the RPXP away from char beyond a certain point is because they cant already take any kill Xp in vallaki, unless they start farming alpha werewolves. Since that would hte the only source of Xp theyd get in Vallaki, the DM took that away too.

So saying "Take RPXP away from everybody else" argument makes no sense.

The idea that RPXP exists in one place but not another makes no sense. It is very specifically named roleplay experience, and the presence of what is or is not around the general area has no reason to impact RPXP.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2021, 09:11:01 AM »
The idea that RPXP exists in one place but not another makes no sense. It is very specifically named roleplay experience, and the presence of what is or is not around the general area has no reason to impact RPXP.

... an area that has purposely designed and allocated to low level characters.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2021, 09:13:49 AM »

To your second point - WalMart refused to offer organic options for a long time as well. Amazing how continued, repeated requests from the public changed that.

If we didn't want any high levels at all, we'd simply level gate the zone, something that's been discussed but rejected by the team. Instead we use a carrot and stick approach to it, and it has worked very well. The average level is about 7 levels lower in Western Barovia than in the rest of the module. We introduced the high/low level split in 2011, and the RP XP changes in 2014. The average level difference is much higher with the current system than it was in those three years. Prior to 2011, we didn't have high/low level regions and the outskirts looked very much like the current Mist Camp, with all the problems people complain about in the Mist Camp, since bored high levels hung around there.

As for Walmart, the decision was most likely taken for financial reasons rather than altruistic ones. Players are neither clients nor consumers, so it's not a very good analogy.

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2021, 09:31:08 AM »

If we didn't want any high levels at all, we'd simply level gate the zone, something that's been discussed but rejected by the team. Instead we use a carrot and stick approach to it, and it has worked very well. The average level is about 7 levels lower in Western Barovia than in the rest of the module.

Have you considered that the carrot is all the loot and dungeon XP you can get by dungeoning out of the Mist Camp?
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

SwordChucks

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Undead Master
  • What me worry?
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2021, 09:52:13 AM »

If we didn't want any high levels at all, we'd simply level gate the zone, something that's been discussed but rejected by the team. Instead we use a carrot and stick approach to it, and it has worked very well. The average level is about 7 levels lower in Western Barovia than in the rest of the module. We introduced the high/low level split in 2011, and the RP XP changes in 2014. The average level difference is much higher with the current system than it was in those three years. Prior to 2011, we didn't have high/low level regions and the outskirts looked very much like the current Mist Camp, with all the problems people complain about in the Mist Camp, since bored high levels hung around there.

As for Walmart, the decision was most likely taken for financial reasons rather than altruistic ones. Players are neither clients nor consumers, so it's not a very good analogy.

Any mechanics involved in the western Barovia rpxp cap are, I’m sure sound. My only issue is that for those PCs who want “Barovian” themed rp - progression stops for them.

Why you guys are opposed to Barovian Village being the rp hub for higher levels is lost on me. Sure I get the lore, but there are many variances and tweaks done to the server in order for the setting to work as a PW.

As for the analogy, I should have expanded on that - they began offering organic food and made more money, and had happier customers because of that - everyone wins. While this certainly isn’t a for profit business, it doesn’t hurt to listen if there is consensus on an issue - especially if a lot people think it would benefit the core of a “rp” server.

Iolantir

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2021, 09:55:01 AM »

... an area that has purposely designed and allocated to low level characters.

I think you're missing the point that has been explained regarding design and practice.

Quote from: EO
Prior to 2011, we didn't have high/low level regions and the outskirts looked very much like the current Mist Camp, with all the problems people complain about in the Mist Camp, since bored high levels hung around there.

Reviving RP XP in some fashion for players who prefer the Barovia themes likely wouldn't draw people who use the Mist Camp as their dungeon hub back to Barovia, so I do not envision we'd see the Outskirts turn into the Mist Camp.

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2021, 05:47:51 PM »
It's difficult to trace so many opinions listed prior in this topic, but I am the opinion that enabling full rp xp progression within factions is a good idea.
Yes, it would require careful planning and consideration what will be considered a base (in some cases a faction can have several buildings/area/spots of interest) and what can be done for player-created factions (I assume it'll be possible to enable rp xp inside of a rental). Guess that's all from my side.