Author Topic: Another OCR topic - Now in Hazlan.  (Read 475 times)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Another OCR topic - Now in Hazlan.
« on: December 12, 2021, 05:28:18 PM »
So, my dwarf with Cha 6 was OCR 14 in Hazlan.

I decided to take a look in the scroll store, entered and the shopkeeper was neutral to me.

O started the dialogue, it prompted a influence roll (which I failed) and the shopkeeper became hostile (and my OCR went to 16).

Now, my first question is if this ins  working as intended.

If the answer is yes, I'd like to point out that the system is not clear and it is not fair.

If my OCR is under 15, I assume I can interact in the region. If I need an influence roll to talk to someone, that should be made clear in the OCR window: I did not even need a scroll at the time and now my dwarf is, possibly, persona non grata in all hazlan because he talked to a shopkeeper?

Add that to the "if you go above 16, your OCR becomes permanent".
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Another OCR topic - Now in Hazlan.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 06:49:44 PM »
Talking to a NPC itself won't raise your OCR, but were you perhaps wearing a faction armor (Ezrite/ML) or using some religious gear (eg. Holy Symbol) while not a Lawgiver? There's also the possibility that some of your buffs ran out.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 07:25:10 PM »
Talking to a NPC itself won't raise your OCR, but were you perhaps wearing a faction armor (Ezrite/ML) or using some religious gear (eg. Holy Symbol) while not a Lawgiver? There's also the possibility that some of your buffs ran out.

Does rings count?
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »
This suggestion isn't necessarily pertinent to the specific topic here but it is a more general view on OCR.  One thing that I think might be helpful for some people is a slight adjustment to the ORC warning text.  For instance this is what it currently says:

While this is accurate it's not really the full picture either, since in my experience you actually start noticing changes in NPC behavior when your OCR is 13.  No hostility, but they definitely start yelling and you start to see Influence checks.  If you're not prepared for it I can see it leading to accidental OCR increases.

Maybe changing the wording to highlight that behavior changes will be present near OCR 13 but outright aggression won't occur until OCR 16 would help alleviate some overall confusion.