You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Potion wizardry.  (Read 491 times)

Ryujin

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Lord
Potion wizardry.
« on: November 20, 2021, 11:09:30 AM »
Drinking a Potion of Speed caused Barovians to call me a Witch... Is this intended..?

Active: Naexalim Alearaheal.
Shelved: Chen Mei, Corin Bluespire, Osirion Shivan, Dukgeth, Valathar El'lyn. Closured: Cyrun Mask

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Potion wizardry.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 03:58:44 AM »
Working as intended. It would be an unnerving experience for a Barovian peasant to suddenly see someone gain preternatural speed. The source of the effect makes no difference to someone with little grasp on magic. It's always best to use magic items or cast spells away from NPC eyes.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Dardonas

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 04:02:55 AM »
Haste potions, among other potions, have been distributed in the Garda during the recent Black Army plot.  The anti-potion stance should be re-evaluated, and I don't believe it's been something that's been in place for a while—seems rather new.

It's been accepted by the Garda and DMs who have ran NPCs in the Garda that as long as the potion doesn't have a permanent visual effect (ghostly visage, invisibility, shadow shield, shadow form), they are acceptable.  Haste potions would fall under the same category as "combat enhancements" like animal ward potions. 

This has been the only way that Garda have been allowed a slight chance at combating troublesome outlanders, let's not make this a thing.

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 04:28:45 AM »
I used an Expeditious Retreat potion on my garda recently to apprehend a criminal, there were no hostile reactions from nearby NPCs.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 08:51:02 AM »
Why all these people want to normalize magic and transform Vallaki in Forgotten Realms is really beyond me.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Holgard

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 09:26:03 AM »
Nobody mentioned anything about transforming Vallaki into Forgotten realms.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 09:42:48 AM »
I don't think there's ever been an OCR exception for drinking potions.