You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Keir Merddyn - A Nidalan's Lulaby  (Read 495 times)

Facilis

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
  • Stuff.
Keir Merddyn - A Nidalan's Lulaby
« on: November 20, 2021, 10:24:26 AM »
A Nidalan's Lullaby

*A journal written in Nidalan,  the language of the Nidalan people.*

*The first entry has been dated 'November 20, 776'*
Ever since I have ended up in this forsaken land, I've only felt as much despair; though a lesser degree of loss.  I've come to find my new familiars, the 'outlanders' as the Barovian people call them are quite insane, though despite the rabid, dangerous flock - there may be some good apples within.  The night is full of the most foul creatures that I were told were merely fantasy and that the reason for this was that our despicable Knight Protector's kept our country safe.  Seems monsters are required to slay their own.  My new home in Barovia, by the town of Vallaki is a church devoted to a 'Morninglord.'  Were the priestesses outside not wearing their token orange robes and hopeful smiles, I would have never gone inside.  Inquisitors take many forms, yet I doubt they could ever make it this far and these priestesses seem candid.  Their obsession with hope or their aspirations to make this world a better place, is filled with a sense of naivety and foolishness that children can aspire to become.  Such as Natalya or Annaka.  Those wonderful fools, I hope their light burns for as long as it can.  It is respectable though, to be able to hold out for so long, clinging to that candle in the wind for whatever warmth it might give in the long, treacherous nights.  They are a strong clergy; able to take whatever insurmountable obstacle is put in front of them.  A clergy deserving of aid and funding, it only remains a great sorrow that I'm usually at odds with them about such things, given Nidala.  Perhaps that will change later on, perhaps not.   In the meantime I've taken to tending to their graveyard, which is being seen to by Vallaki's Mortuary, headed by Ophelia bell, a strong woman with a big heart.   The work has no pay, but it helps to have a place to be, with others. 

Hopefully with them, I'll find out what lies within me.   

*The second entry has been dated 'November 21, 776'*
I will be staying at the mortuary within Vallaki's walls, so at least I'll be safe while I consider my living situation there.  Living with Ophelia, Clementine, and Elisabeta will be strange as I've been used to staying with family for as long as I can remember.  Primarily though I am hoping for answers regarding me.  I've spoken to a witch who despite her selfish and scheming nature - has agreed to seeing if I have any magical essence or promise within my blood.  While I stay here she will see to what processes need to be done to uncover this new puzzle I've given her.  While I do not trust her enough to give her my full history, this should sate her curiosity regarding my person and give me the answers I seek.  All I can describe to myself if I had to label whatever has come over me is that I've had strange dreams of casting magic when I was a child to now, though some of them have been rather foul.  One ending for example with a severed Knight Protector's head held by their hair in my hand, as I stared out into the untouched forests of Nidala, I could swear something whispered in my ear as I stared into the darkness, unknown threats lying within, or simply tricks of my own mind.  Aside from that and dreams of a similar nature, I've slept well.  On other less depressing topics, I've made a few 'friends' as Ophelia specifically requested.  One of them the scheming witch mentioned above - Delphine who worships a strange set of beings or spirits known as Ioa - mediums between our world and theirs - giving magic to their worshippers.  Her compatriot or even partner if I were so bold is Lilith, Lilith Verpirios - a warrior priestess of the Sanguine Mother, a god devoted to pleasure and the well-being of life, a foreign concept for me, yet perhaps with further questions I'll learn more and better understand it.  In the meantime I would guess Delphine has obtained a new 'pet' of sorts by the name of Markus, a 'holy warrior' he proclaims.  Who worships light, though I suppose outlanders will worship anything that gives them hope in this forsaken world.  He seems dependable though, though naive and gullible.  In the meantime though, I am told I should smile more, however awkward the action is for me, perhaps it will help.  *A small sketch of the Nidalan landscape is drawn at the bottom.*

What watches that which lurks within the darkest crevices of your mind?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 12:02:10 AM by Facilis »

Facilis

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
  • Stuff.
Re: Keir Merddyn - A Nidalan's Lulaby
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 12:16:57 AM »

A Fleeting Memory

*The third entry has been dated 'January 10,  777'*

As time passes I wonder more if leaving Nidala was best, I have the answers I sought from Darkon, yet perhaps it was better if I never knew.   The knowledge I have angers me, yet I'm content...?  Why would I feel this way?  Why would I be able to live with myself knowing I might have fey-blood within myself or the other choice being my bloodline is cursed.  Is my mind truly accepting of this revelation or is it lying to itself in hopes I'll feel better eventually.  I am unsure, everything is confusing these days.  And with more of the outlanders being either more foolhardy or tempting my ire, I wonder if I should merely let loose one day.  In all honesty however that would be fruitless and only result in me being burned at the stake by an angry mob of Barovians.  Something I ran away from in Nidala and something I don't want to start here.  And with Delphine and Lilith now missing or refusing to speak with me at all, well I should figure out how to grow myself and keep these controlled.  Ophelia knows, yet I worry if she'll be any help aside from supporting my mind, not my actual gifts and how to use them.  We shall see in the coming days.  Whatever becomes of me, I hope it is not for the worst.

Facilis

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
  • Stuff.
Re: Keir Merddyn - A Nidalan's Lulaby
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 12:59:13 AM »

Date: March, 3rd. 776

I've grown much last I've written.  Made much progress in learning how to use these cursed gifts bestowed upon me by whatever foul thing cursed my bloodline or whatever fey my ancestors ad relations with.  Nevertheless I hope that writing my thoughts down gives me solace.  I've joined up with the Kinship for sake of learning more about those who bear magical powers by blood, knowledge pertaining to home and to mount the head of the one who hurt those I care for.  That vampire will feel every cut she dealt unto him, will have every bone broken.  Though I imagine torturing a vampire isn't possible given their mist abilities.  It's almost remarkable that such creatures, such little vermin, such terrible demons are given so much, and yet are still akin to rambling madmen.  Screaming about suffering, blood, and foul magicks.  They are just animals, though animals that should also be feared despite their quirks.  In the case of one in particular I wonder if the change has amplified her abilities at all or if she's simply remained the same, and only her physical prowess improved.  Perhaps, I may never know given her refusal to speak with me and my wish to torture her.  Pity that I can't have my cake and eat it too

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 01:01:33 AM by Facilis »