You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Red Academy Feedback Thread  (Read 1452 times)

Dardonas

Red Academy Feedback Thread
« on: November 07, 2021, 10:11:27 PM »
I'm using this thread to give any feedback and suggestions to the newly changed Red Academy area and added Red Academy Faction, such as anything regarding areas, NPCs, doors, locks, equipment, ect. 

Dardonas

Re: Red Academy Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 10:13:45 PM »
The door in the Transmutation Department has no lock on it and can be used to bypass other locked doors, such as to the library.  It would make more sense if there was a lock on the backdoor to the transmutation department.

GIF of some of the doors that are bypassed by the backdoor not having a lock

Spoiler: show

On the topic of the transmutation department, there are a few crooked and off-centered placeables. I know it's minor and I'm not trying to seem nitpicky, but it's noticeable and hard to unsee.

Outside in the Red Academy gated area, the fence gate now has a lock on it.  The garden section can be bypassed, as well as the gate entirely, without having to utilize the lock.  I'd propose just removing the lock on it since there is now a gated door required to get into the entire academy.

On equipment, the faction armory gives access to "Elite Rashemi Guard Helmet" which I might suggest is renamed to "Red Academy Helmet" or "Red Academy Guard Helmet" if it is going to be in the equipment list and accessible by student and higher rank.

I'd also recommend a custom description, maybe something along the lines of "These helmets are distributed to those in service to Lord Hazlik and the Red Academy of Hazlan.  A symbol of fear for many across Hazlan, they aim offer some minor protection against blows."

I was with DM Stygian Witch and the enchanting area below in the basement did not have the altar present, which I think is needed for placing the item down that requires enchantment.  I have no screenshots of this currently.

One thing I noticed was that there was an abundance of Instructor NPCs rather than Student NPCs.  In past server canon, it's been a bit of a big deal becoming an instructor and instructorship was rather sparce.  While there were NPC instructors, I feel like there are many more instructors currently around Ramulai than there are student NPCs.  Additionally, could we get a few lab assistant NPCs as well as making some of these instructors into students?  I might also suggest adding a patrolling guard or two around the academy grounds.

In the far south-western corner of the Red Academy grounds, one of the academy captives are technically in the faction.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 11:00:14 PM by Dardonas »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 11:10:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. See my responses below:

The door in the Transmutation Department has no lock on it and can be used to bypass other locked doors, such as to the library.  It would make more sense if there was a lock on the backdoor to the transmutation department.

I'll lock that door.

Outside in the Red Academy gated area, the fence gate now has a lock on it.  The garden section can be bypassed, as well as the gate entirely, without having to utilize the lock.  I'd propose just removing the lock on it since there is now a gated door required to get into the entire academy.

I'll replace the stairs that let you cross the western wall with another locked gate.

On the topic of the transmutation department, there are a few crooked and off-centered placeables. I know it's minor and I'm not trying to seem nitpicky, but it's noticeable and hard to unsee.

I'll fix the torch brackets, but the crafting stations are placed that way intentionally.

On equipment, the faction armory gives access to "Elite Rashemi Guard Helmet" which I might suggest is renamed to "Red Academy Helmet" or "Red Academy Guard Helmet" if it is going to be in the equipment list and accessible by student and higher rank.

I'll rename them to Red Academy Guard Helmets; they're for the guards that guard the Academy. As per canon, they're normally all Rashemi (since no Mulan would do such menial tasks, pretty much all enforcers/guards in Hazlan are Rashemi), but the name is a mouthful. I'll expand the description as well.

I was with DM Stygian Witch and the enchanting area below in the basement did not have the altar present, which I think is needed for placing the item down that requires enchantment.  I have no screenshots of this currently.

It's set up exactly like the one in Dementlieu so it "should" work.

One thing I noticed was that there was an abundance of Instructor NPCs rather than Student NPCs.  In past server canon, it's been a bit of a big deal becoming an instructor and instructorship was rather sparce.  While there were NPC instructors, I feel like there are many more instructors currently around Ramulai than there are student NPCs.  Additionally, could we get a few lab assistant NPCs as well as making some of these instructors into students?  I might also suggest adding a patrolling guard or two around the academy grounds.

For now we won't add laboratory assistant NPCs; they're not a bad idea but we decided against that rank in the faction. I'll look into the instructor/student ratio.

In the far south-western corner of the Red Academy grounds, one of the academy captives are technically in the faction.

They should all be part of the faction actually to let players use them in scenes (their usage is covered in the OOC boards of the faction). Let me know if the others aren't set up as part of the faction.

Dardonas

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 11:13:30 PM »

They should all be part of the faction actually to let players use them in scenes (their usage is covered in the OOC boards of the faction). Let me know if the others aren't set up as part of the faction.

Sorry, that was a typo!  I meant that the one elven captive was the odd one out and NOT in the faction.  The other ones are correctly marked in the faction.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 11:21:31 PM »
Sorry, that was a typo!  I meant that the one elven captive was the odd one out and NOT in the faction.  The other ones are correctly marked in the faction.

Ah, that makes more sense. I'll fix it.

Dardonas

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 03:25:06 AM »
So the gates and added locks to other places work like a charm.  Looks great, however, functionally there are two sections of the stone wall that can just be pathed over altogether, bypassing the locks.  I'm not sure if there is a workaround with the tileset/walling, but it otherwise makes the gates useless in having locks in general.  Both the iron gates have a section of collapsed wall near them that can be pathed over.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 03:30:14 AM by Dardonas »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 10:10:48 AM »
So the gates and added locks to other places work like a charm.  Looks great, however, functionally there are two sections of the stone wall that can just be pathed over altogether, bypassing the locks.  I'm not sure if there is a workaround with the tileset/walling, but it otherwise makes the gates useless in having locks in general.  Both the iron gates have a section of collapsed wall near them that can be pathed over.

Thanks, I'll fix those.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 11:45:09 PM »
I think it's kind of lampshadey to have fences you can't jump over especially when they're that low. There may as well be some other method to keeping people from getting inside a contained area. Ten foot tall walls, I can suspend my disbelief, at least some effort was made to secure the area when it is being guarded. But a waist-level fence?
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

sotbiii

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 01:59:58 AM »

The said captives are behind a locked gate that my Red Academy key does not open.

Also the Elite Rashemi Guards have several feats for greatsword and long sword but they don't carry either.

sotbiii

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 03:00:20 AM »
The bank doesn't serve red academy rashemi.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 07:54:38 AM »
The said captives are behind a locked gate that my Red Academy key does not open.

That's intentional; you need to be an instructor to get access to these captives.

Also the Elite Rashemi Guards have several feats for greatsword and long sword but they don't carry either.

The bank doesn't serve red academy rashemi.

You need to wear the Red Academy uniform (either the cloak, garbs, or ring) for it to work.

I'll fix that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 08:02:35 AM by EO »

Dardonas

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 03:22:26 PM »
So first off I wanna say that the Dormitories look excellent.  The academy has really come to life and major kudos to the dev team for the work there.  I preface that so it doesn't seem like I'm just here nitpicking, harping and complaining.

Thanks, I'll fix those.

There is still one section of walling, near the newly added captives and the warmage instructor, which is still crumbled and able to be walked over (bypassing the locked gates), though the other area has been fixed.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 03:24:21 PM by Dardonas »

sotbiii

• Outlander
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 01:03:57 AM »
Dwarf prisoners of the academy have all the elven racial feats for some reason.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 01:55:18 PM »
Dwarf prisoners of the academy have all the elven racial feats for some reason.

I'll fix that.

King Pickle

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 04:42:35 AM »
Not just the academy but NPCs in Hazlan start to shout at each other if they cast spells.
Arcanist will shout at Biskop. Biskop will shout at Arcanist. Soldiers will shout at both.

DM Stygian Witch

• Read books, not tablets!
  • Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
  • I love Vecna more than the Morninglord!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 08:17:20 AM »
Not just the academy but NPCs in Hazlan start to shout at each other if they cast spells.
Arcanist will shout at Biskop. Biskop will shout at Arcanist. Soldiers will shout at both.
Thats just the culture.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2021, 03:36:17 AM »
So colourful, so energetic.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2021, 09:04:17 AM »

I'll fix this.