Author Topic: OCR not reducing.  (Read 1345 times)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
OCR not reducing.
« on: October 30, 2021, 02:27:55 PM »
I did cast spells in Vallaki a few weeks ago and my OCR went up. Ok, my bad.

However, today, I received the message of OCR waning, but it kept the same. Is that a bug? I did not print the Ocr two weeks ago, however, I have the prints today, in which I had the message of OCR coming down, but the value staying stable at 16.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: OCR not reducing.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 02:31:03 PM »
There's a point where OCR no longer decreases from spellcasting, you'll always have some extra points left.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 07:45:18 PM »
There's a point where OCR no longer decreases from spellcasting, you'll always have some extra points left.

So... I casted two spells and now my OCR will be forever 16?

SevenStormStyle

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 08:48:10 PM »
I don't remember precisely the permanent reputation ocr from casting (I think +1 or +2?), but it doesn't go away, no. It should probably only make npcs hostile if you were already pretty borderline.

Disclaimer: I am not a dev, this is only based on my limited personal experience.
Game Login: Catherine

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 07:55:29 AM »

If your OCR was high already, yes, though of course, it can be reduced with cha + influence.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 03:17:25 PM »

If your OCR was high already, yes, though of course, it can be reduced with cha + influence.

Well, yes. It was 14 at the time, I guess. And now it will be stuck at 16, it seems. Well... It is not as if I'll go much to Vallaki.

But I do feel bad: I casted one bear and one bull in the Krezk outpost at night (because I was encumbered) and the carpenter that was outside at night (oh, come on!) saw and bow I'm persona non grata in all Barovia?

I'd like to submit it to the CC because, frankly, that seems a little too much.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 03:28:53 PM »
Can't remember if you need +5 or +6 influence to drop OCR by 1, but getting back to 15 shouldn't be costly.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 03:49:10 PM »
Eagle's Splendour raises your CHA so that's also an option to lower your OCR.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 03:57:38 PM »
Eagle's Splendour raises your CHA so that's also an option to lower your OCR.

Yep. That is what I have been using, believing that my OCR would reduce.

But my point is not even "how to put my OCR down one or two points", ok, I get it, I've been doing it.

My point is that having casted two spells in sequence in front of one npc that remained outside in Krezk at night made me forever persona non grata in Barovia and that seems a little over.

InMyDarkestHours

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • I reveal my heart, to this beauty dressed in dark
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 04:02:01 PM »
I do kind of agree with Anarcoplayba. The last remaining two points do persist permanently, but I feel they should be made to eventually reduce, even if it takes a few months. I don't think the entire populace of the domain should maintain their animosity until the end of time; they have a great deal else to worry about than some forgotten outlander.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 04:02:23 PM »
Casting spells did not make you persona non grata, casting spells when your OCR was already borderline did. There's a distinction to be made here.

NacreCicatrix

• Dark Lord
  • loser
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 04:56:22 PM »
Remember to press tab and spin the camera before you cast spells in future, and reconsider doing so in the open (hide behind a building). Any smart magic user in a land where magic is reviled would be very cautious about using spells in a bustling outpost.
Also, there are actually two carpenter NPCs in the Von Zeklos outpost, and they work in shifts. One is out in daytime, one is out at night time.
It is not an ending, but an ebbing.

mooner

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 05:06:08 PM »
i can sympathise with the inconvenience, but casting spells inside of the zeklos outpost is definitely OCR worthy. unless you use metamagic, it's both loud and bright and casting magic inside of a settlement (even if no npcs were outside, but there are in this instance) is probably going to attract attention from any domicile that has a window. this is ignoring the poor gate guards on night shift at either side of the settlement who could (and should) react if a DM were present

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 05:27:53 PM »
Casting spells did not make you persona non grata, casting spells when your OCR was already borderline did. There's a distinction to be made here.

But that borderline was not a borderline because I did cast spells in front of everyone. Was borderline becaus of low cha and being an outlander and dwarf.

I don't think that it is wrong to make OCR permanent.

I'm saying that, so, if someone with base OCR intentionally cast spells five times, ok, the OCR will get dow, but if someone who has OCR of 14 cast spells twice it becomes permanent? That doesn't seem balanced.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 05:29:15 PM »
i can sympathise with the inconvenience, but casting spells inside of the zeklos outpost is definitely OCR worthy. unless you use metamagic, it's both loud and bright and casting magic inside of a settlement (even if no npcs were outside, but there are in this instance) is probably going to attract attention from any domicile that has a window. this is ignoring the poor gate guards on night shift at either side of the settlement who could (and should) react if a DM were present

I'm not saying it is ok. I'm saying that this OCR becoming permanent is somewhat unbalanced.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 07:02:09 PM »
You can't unpickle a pickle, actions without consequences have no meaning.

You have equipment and spells as OCR lifelines, so the peoples reactions to you aren't necessarily permanent... but the locals will forever know you as the ugly potato dwarf that turned up without invitation in their lands and knows scary caliban-making vraja.

Its a combination of multiple factors.

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2021, 08:29:51 PM »

But that borderline was not a borderline because I did cast spells in front of everyone. Was borderline becaus of low cha and being an outlander and dwarf.

I don't think that it is wrong to make OCR permanent.

I'm saying that, so, if someone with base OCR intentionally cast spells five times, ok, the OCR will get dow, but if someone who has OCR of 14 cast spells twice it becomes permanent? That doesn't seem balanced.

Seems pretty balanced and logical from an IC point of view for people to forget and forgive a bit more easily to a less discriminated race or someone who manages to appeal to the locals (high Influence/Charisma) whereas someone frowned upon from the get go won't get a second chance, period. Nothing surprising there. Dwarves are already excluded from getting delivery jobs because of how badly they are seen by Barovians, so it would make sense for them to be more easily yelled at for using "Vraja".

Don't want to get hostile OCR from a single spell? Don't play a high OCR race and make sure you don't cast in front of people. Want to play an high OCR race? Your choice, but deal with the implied consequences coming with it.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 12:03:18 AM »
You can't unpickle a pickle, actions without consequences have no meaning.

You have equipment and spells as OCR lifelines, so the peoples reactions to you aren't necessarily permanent... but the locals will forever know you as the ugly potato dwarf that turned up without invitation in their lands and knows scary caliban-making vraja.

Its a combination of multiple factors.

I'm a dwarf cleric. I'll probably outlive the whole village. At least regarding diseases, poisons, old age and monster attacks.

And even then: assuming that one thing made in vallaki will be known in Barovia and etc is assuming that everyone can describes ONE dwarf in specific better than anyone.

The only thing REALLY reasonable you all said was that there are spells and items to solve that.

I see no reason why 2 points of ocr are more permanent that 4 anytime. It us one if those mechanical things that we fake not  finding strange, like the resting system: "No, I cannot sleep right now- oh, wait I'm sleepy, yes, I need to sleep immediately".

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2021, 12:22:23 AM »
Spoiler: show
I believe a Cloak of Confidence and Courtiers Obi could make you more palatable to the locals again.

William Roberts

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • Thrown a kettle over a pub...what have you done?
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2021, 12:22:39 AM »
I see no reason why 2 points of ocr are more permanent that 4 anytime. It us one if those mechanical things that we fake not  finding strange, like the resting system: "No, I cannot sleep right now- oh, wait I'm sleepy, yes, I need to sleep immediately".

Fair point--as, for example, a PC with a lower initial OCR could do something very horrific (and therefore much more memorable), and those OCR points would gradually dissipate.

Beauty like a tightened bow, a kind that is not natural in an age like this.

fullgazz

• New to the Mists
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2022, 06:24:05 PM »

Well, yes. It was 14 at the time, I guess. And now it will be stuck at 16, it seems. Well... It is not as if I'll go much to Vallaki.

But I do feel bad: I casted one bear and one bull in the Krezk outpost at night (because I was encumbered) and the carpenter that was outside at night (oh, come on!) saw and bow I'm persona non grata in all Barovia?

I'd like to submit it to the CC because, frankly, that seems a little too much.

Whatsapp barovian channel Baby! one picture and you're in the network.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2022, 03:29:21 AM »
That'd be the Facebook group. They're still a bit behind and those glittery Goodmorning! GIFs look better on the pc screen

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured