Author Topic: PvP is too sensitive for a 6 second grace period when downed  (Read 4230 times)

King Pickle

• Undead Master
Re: PvP is too sensitive for a 6 second grace period when downed
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2021, 07:38:58 PM »
- Some sort of visual cue that someone is carrying a corpse.

Years ago. Like years and years ago before the EE when even the stars were different, I was making... Er, not really making. More like looking in to making a corpse system where when picked up, the corpse would, as a cursed item, jump to your cloak slot.
It would have (had) an actual visual corpse you would carry according to race and gender and to some extend colors they were wearing.

But I wasn't finished.
Or even started, really.
Mostly because someone would have had to animate the 3d model carrying a corpse and that wasn't within my skill set.
And possibly some other technical issue I forget.

I haven't read through this thread but I will comment on the initial post.

There was always meant to be a 6 second period where a character could not be killed after going unconscious. This mechanic was bugged, so I fixed it.

Initially, I made an exception to this rule and set the grace period for PvP to only 2 seconds. Mechanically, this is because this is the amount of time between flurries (waves of attacks). So if someone was in a fight and did not want to corpse the target, it would give a small amount of time to back off without accidentally killing the target.

In testing, it turned out that knocking a character unconscious actually breaks combat, so the earliest you can attack a character after reducing them to 0 hit points is roughly 6 seconds, though this may be slightly variable depending on which part of the attack round you are in when the combat action gets canceled.

Since a smaller window for PvP seemed to bear no practical benefit, it was removed, and the grace period was left at 6 seconds for everything. As a result, this also means a wizard can, for instance, use Isaac's Greater Missile Storm on a target without instantly corpsing them (previously this would almost always corpse a target), which I think is a huge benefit and provides room for more roleplay in PvP for spellcasters without feeling like they've reached for the nuclear option.

The only instance of PvP this effects on paper is when a player would corpse another target in a single round, which wasn't even guaranteed before, and the only way to remove this would be to have no grace period for PvP at all. Even then, if you happened to hit a target unconscious to within 0 to -9 hp, it would still break the combat round and you would still be waiting 6 seconds to kill them. The benefits of having a grace period for PvP vastly outweigh the edge cases where someone might corpse another person in a single round, so I don't see any reason to change the way it works right now.

So is it was 2 ( 1.8 ) seconds before and now is 6?

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2021, 07:54:24 PM »
So is it was 2 ( 1.8 ) seconds before and now is 6?

The 2 second grace period for PvP was never implemented on the server; it was only in place during testing, and testing revealed it wasn't necessary. The grace period is 6 seconds.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2021, 07:57:26 PM »
Thank you for the extra insight and context, Bad_Bud.

This is a pretty major change. For all my time here (starting in 2019) I was used to this server allowing people to just drop dead in combat, or have to make the hidden save against instakill & take the dispel.

The recent patches disallowing CON drops to kill and the grace periods are eye opening and seem to go against the "brutally hardcore" image that Ravenloft projected for the longest time. But I think they'll be very nice quality of life changes for those who are all too used to seeing people drop dead before their eyes because of an unlucky crit and having to drag them to a healer. What practical or noticeable effect it will have on PvP I can't say, but the consistency that the fix provides will probably be for the better.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

King Pickle

• Undead Master
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2021, 08:03:13 PM »
How long has this been in place and working now?
It was not long ago I saw someone get badly impaired immediately on death.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2021, 08:09:16 PM »
It was not long ago I saw someone get badly impaired immediately on death.

Massive Damage is technically something different and presumably meant to bypass the grace period.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2021, 02:23:50 AM »
My experience in PVP is that the instigator always has a huge advantage regardless of class. Unless your target is meta gaming heavily, you are impatient, or horribly botch it I don't really find the "assassination is too hard" argument to have a lot of merit. If you are an assassin im questioning why you are jumping someone in front of all their friends to start with.

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2021, 03:24:54 AM »
Since a smaller window for PvP seemed to bear no practical benefit, it was removed, and the grace period was left at 6 seconds for everything. As a result, this also means a wizard can, for instance, use Isaac's Greater Missile Storm on a target without instantly corpsing them (previously this would almost always corpse a target), which I think is a huge benefit and provides room for more roleplay in PvP for spellcasters without feeling like they've reached for the nuclear option.

Ooh, neat. I can go all-out in a duel without worrying about murdering people. :D

(... Barring massive damage, I guess.)
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2021, 06:39:02 PM »
Imagine wasting 6 seconds waiting to corpse a bleeding out mark when there are witnesses to deal with. SMH amateurs.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 06:45:04 PM by Philos »

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2022, 11:23:55 AM »
Imagine wasting 6 seconds waiting to corpse a bleeding out mark when there are witnesses to deal with. SMH amateurs.

Again, see above. If there a witnesses I would question your decision making and timing. Thats not an assassination, its a public execution.

Swan

• Undead Slayer
  • 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓.
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2022, 11:41:04 AM »

Again, see above. If there a witnesses I would question your decision making and timing. Thats not an assassination, its a public execution.
This thread had not been responded to in months.