Author Topic: Doing too much damage to downed PCs doesn't corpse them  (Read 836 times)

Dardonas

Doing too much damage to downed PCs doesn't corpse them
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:25:10 AM »
As the title states, doing too much damage to downed PCs doesn't corpse them as it should.  I've encountered this recently and it influences IC events and I've heard of it influencing IC events in the past in PvP conflict.  For instance, I downed someone and then crit them when they were on the ground (I specifically re-clicked them as downing someone takes you out of autoattacking them), and they didn't corpse as they should've when I dealt 20 damage in a crit.

I heard some rumor that it's a safeguard to prevent people from corpsing to enemies in dungeons.

Edit: Note, this is just a bug report and not me asking to retcon IC events that people may or may not be aware of.  I'm perfectly content with how things are.

I would post combat logs but they didn't save in my log rotator it seems.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:28:06 AM by Dardonas »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Doing too much damage to downed PCs doesn't corpse them
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »
Do you know how much time passed between their downing and you trying to corpse them, approximately?
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Dardonas

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:44:29 AM »
I can't say for certain, but I think I tried to do so pretty quickly.

Edit: within the first second or two of it happening
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:55:34 AM by Dardonas »

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 09:56:50 AM »
I heard some rumor that it's a safeguard to prevent people from corpsing to enemies in dungeons.

If that's a thing, it works very inconsistently (if at all). I've been instantly corpsed (and even badly impaired) in battles before, sometimes by taking up to 5 hits' worth of overkill in the round I was knocked out.

Something I learned pretty quickly: Don't cast fireballs at (or otherwise aggro) entire groups of archers all at once unless you can soak up the ensuing arrow storm with damage resistances.
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »

If that's a thing, it works very inconsistently (if at all). I've been instantly corpsed (and even badly impaired) in battles before, sometimes by taking up to 5 hits' worth of overkill in the round I was knocked out.

Something I learned pretty quickly: Don't cast fireballs at (or otherwise aggro) entire groups of archers all at once unless you can soak up the ensuing arrow storm with damage resistances.

If you take massive damage, you roll fortitude vs damage or become Badly Impaired. However if you go down with -1, it does seem to behave differently. For example I noticed that magic tends to affect downed people inconsitently; sometimes evards will corpse them sometimes not, fireballs usually do no damage, etc.

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 10:17:39 AM »

If you take massive damage, you roll fortitude vs damage or become Badly Impaired. However if you go down with -1, it does seem to behave differently. For example I noticed that magic tends to affect downed people inconsitently; sometimes evards will corpse them sometimes not, fireballs usually do no damage, etc.

Nope. Not what I'm talking about.

My characters have on several occasions been badly wounded or outright downed by volleys of arrows from bandit or skeleton archers, typically when they suddenly entered combat against a whole group (either by being detected while sneaking/ninjalooting, or by casting an AoE spell and drawing a ton of attention to themselves). In many cases, it got to the point where I got brought to <10 HP, before taking another half a dozen arrows and immediately landing in the Near-Ethereal without ever getting the chance to stabilize.  I have occasionally seen myself take absurd amounts of lethal damage (also distributed across multiple physical attacks in a round) without instantly corpsing, but certainly not enough to attribute it to some kind of protective functionality instead of a bug.

But yeah, most spells seem to avoid corpsing unconscious PCs.
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

Agony

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Power
  • "You will know agony!" - Ghostly Armor
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »
Here, under scripting and system changes.

Dardonas

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 10:27:24 AM »
That seems a bit much when it comes to PvP.  That's a whole round that someone could get a horrid wilting or full round of attacks.  I can understand its purpose for PvE content.  I suppose I'll change to make a suggestion thread instead of complaining about it here.

Dardonas

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »
Double post, but I do think it's worth looking into the fact that I have heard of this happening in the past before the August 19th update that DM Agony listed. 

Agony

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Power
  • "You will know agony!" - Ghostly Armor
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 11:48:23 AM »
Double post, but I do think it's worth looking into the fact that I have heard of this happening in the past before the August 19th update that DM Agony listed.

The key word there is "better". It was supposed to do that before, as well, but was not as effective as it could have been.