You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Web cancelling invisibility.  (Read 846 times)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Web cancelling invisibility.
« on: October 17, 2021, 12:05:56 AM »
Not sure it this is a bug, but I see that when I cast web, the reflex save of the enemies count as an attack and cancels my invisibility. Is it intentional or a bug?
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Web cancelling invisibility.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 12:20:13 AM »
Not sure it this is a bug, but I see that when I cast web, the reflex save of the enemies count as an attack and cancels my invisibility. Is it intentional or a bug?

Perfectly normal.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

DaloLorn

• Undead Master
  • Incorrigible Altoholic
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 05:44:50 AM »

Perfectly normal.

It seems more reasonable to break invisibility when casting the web, but not when the enemies walk into it...
European RPer, never available past 22:00 CET. Available on Discord, as Dalo Lorn#0171. Has too many characters to list.

Cast of Characters

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 07:44:33 AM »

Perfectly normal.

It seems more reasonable to break invisibility when casting the web, but not when the enemies walk into it...

Agreeing with that. We'll look into it
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 01:37:44 PM »
A web is a hostile spell, so when enemies walk into it, it will break invisibility since the enemies are now being hit by it.

If you're "fixing" this, then don't forget to fix all the other AoE spells to have this effect too.

I would love to be able to cast Grease, Web, Entangle, Spike Growth, Darkness, Wall of Fire, Acid Fog, Cloudkill, Stonehold, Creeping Doom, incendiary cloud etc etc on the ground, drink an invisibility potion after and be perfectly safe as I use summonings to lure enemies into the mess.

Conversely some wizards might be a tad annoyed if when casting offensive AoE spells if it broke their invisibility simply for the casting if nothing walked into it. They may have to change their field setup strategies.

The nwnwiki gives these conditions for what breaks invisibility, which has been the usual behaviour for invisibility, so the spell is working as expected.

"Attacking, or performing any hostile act, causes invisibility to be lost, though. This includes hostilities performed by a lingering spell (cast by the subject before becoming invisible), but does not include summoning a creature nor hostile actions taken by a summoned creature."
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 01:43:08 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 11:26:40 AM »
A web is a hostile spell, so when enemies walk into it, it will break invisibility since the enemies are now being hit by it.

If you're "fixing" this, then don't forget to fix all the other AoE spells to have this effect too.

I would love to be able to cast Grease, Web, Entangle, Spike Growth, Darkness, Wall of Fire, Acid Fog, Cloudkill, Stonehold, Creeping Doom, incendiary cloud etc etc on the ground, drink an invisibility potion after and be perfectly safe as I use summonings to lure enemies into the mess.

Conversely some wizards might be a tad annoyed if when casting offensive AoE spells if it broke their invisibility simply for the casting if nothing walked into it. They may have to change their field setup strategies.

The nwnwiki gives these conditions for what breaks invisibility, which has been the usual behaviour for invisibility, so the spell is working as expected.

"Attacking, or performing any hostile act, causes invisibility to be lost, though. This includes hostilities performed by a lingering spell (cast by the subject before becoming invisible), but does not include summoning a creature nor hostile actions taken by a summoned creature."

I started the topic and can understand any of the choices regarding invisibility, however, in my opinion, if I am to cast a spell with no hostile target (even an hostile AoE without monsters in the area), it makes no sense breaking invisibility, as for this: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/invisibility.htm

The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. (Exactly who is a foe depends on the invisible character’s perceptions.) Actions directed at unattended objects do not break the spell. Causing harm indirectly is not an attack. Thus, an invisible being can open doors, talk, eat, climb stairs, summon monsters and have them attack, cut the ropes holding a rope bridge while enemies are on the bridge, remotely trigger traps, open a portcullis to release attack dogs, and so forth. If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear. Spells such as bless that specifically affect allies but not foes are not attacks for this purpose, even when they include foes in their area.

On the other hand, an AoE spell creates an effect in a place for as long as it is there and should not count as an attack. In this matter, does oil of slipperiness breaks invisibility?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 11:28:00 AM »
That's hardcoded actually; the moment the AoE deals damage it'll break invisibility.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »
That's hardcoded actually; the moment the AoE deals damage it'll break invisibility.

Well, if it is hardcoded, there is nothing to do, many thanks!

p.s.: I'm not against DAMAGE breaking the invisibility. I'm more against other effects (like web and grease) doing that.