Author Topic: Warlock Bugs  (Read 512 times)

Steel

• New to the Mists
Warlock Bugs
« on: October 15, 2022, 10:08:55 AM »
I’ve noticed what seem to be two separate bugs while playing warlock this far.

Magic Insight just doesn’t seem to work. I’ve tried multiple different ways to identify items with it and it just says the item isn’t compatible.

Voidsense mostly works, but being able to see ethereal creatures does not. NPC’s who use Sanctuary still can’t be seen despite them supposedly going ethereal and that being something the tooltip states is covered by the spell.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Warlock Bugs
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 10:19:35 AM »
I’ve noticed what seem to be two separate bugs while playing warlock this far.

Magic Insight just doesn’t seem to work. I’ve tried multiple different ways to identify items with it and it just says the item isn’t compatible.

Voidsense mostly works, but being able to see ethereal creatures does not. NPC’s who use Sanctuary still can’t be seen despite them supposedly going ethereal and that being something the tooltip states is covered by the spell.

The sanctuary bug is a completely different problem that I reported here: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62852.msg728539#msg728539
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 01:55:56 PM »
First was already reported and will be fixed in the next hak update.

Second is a general NwN bug with Sanctuary.

Darkthrasher

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 06:00:15 PM »
Im not sure if this is a full on Bug, or the hidden mechanics behind Eldritch Chain... But the description indicates that the spell will chain off to strike another target for /Half/ the damage of the first strike. I have seen this to not be the case consistently, either getting more than half on the second strike, or much less than half on the second strike.

For reference: I am a lvl 9 warlock (5d6 magic dmg) using Eldritch chain.

Im not great at math but... I dont remember 3 being half of 24. Is this working as intended?

Heres another example on some hobgobbers

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 06:10:02 PM by Darkthrasher »
Ignis Brimstone, Disciple of Solusek Ro
Remus Greenbough, Warden of Nature
Gareth Rex (Closured)
Devora Zianhur

Not as active:
Vogul Basinma, of the Black raven tribe
Bandus Strom, The Eel
Affirrazac

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 07:53:34 PM »
Im not great at math but... I dont remember 3 being half of 24. Is this working as intended?

It's been a while; usually the implementation of Eldritch Chain's 'half damage' qualifier is that it rerolls all the damage dice and halves the outcome, or some permutation thereof. So it's entirely possible to have your chains dealing more damage on the subsequent blows than the first. However it is correct that the wording of the ability implies that it is a direct transferral of half the damage dealt to the first target. Whether this is a bug owing to the incorrect calculation of the chain, or an issue of interpretation of wording though, I don't know.

I know NWN 2 suffers from the same descriptive issue for it's own implementation of Eldritch Chain and there's quite a few discussions had on the PnP equivalent and it's intended format.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 11:37:52 PM »
It might also just half the die. So if its a 6d6 ability it might cut it to 3d6 which is more in line with other spells with similar effects.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 08:25:43 AM »
It should work like Chain Lightning; I think the issue stems from the fact that Chain Lightning was changed in 3.5 (which is when Warlock was introduced as a class) to deal half the damage of dealt to the primary target, whereas in 3.0, it dealt half as many dice of damage as the primary. NwN uses 3E's version of Chain Lightning, and Eldritch Chain is also based on that. I'll adjust the text to clarify it halves the dice, not the damage from the first target.