You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Lockpicking while Jaunted  (Read 887 times)

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
Lockpicking while Jaunted
« on: October 11, 2021, 09:37:30 PM »
Seems one is able to pick locks while in an ethereal jaunt without breaking it. I am unsure if this is intended or not.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Lockpicking while Jaunted
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 09:46:42 PM »
Fairly sure it's intentional; by PnP rules, you can go through any door (or wall) with Jaunt. The compromise on PotM seems to be that you can't go through locked doors with Jaunt, but you're still allowed to lockpick them (or use keys).

Though, lockpicking chests should break Jaunt.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 05:08:26 AM »
Probably needs to be fixed to break on completion, not supposed to be able to interact with the material world.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 05:09:57 AM by zDark Shadowz »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:58:12 AM »
Fairly sure it's intentional; by PnP rules, you can go through any door (or wall) with Jaunt. The compromise on PotM seems to be that you can't go through locked doors with Jaunt, but you're still allowed to lockpick them (or use keys).

Though, lockpicking chests should break Jaunt.

I confirm it is the intended behavior and compromise. As far as I know, the game engine does not make the difference between a locked door or locked chest, but picking something from a chest should break the jaunt. We could maybe have a workaround for this using variables, but it would entail updating each chests in the module manually. We can live with the jaunt breaking after the chest is looted. It is however not the intent of ethereal jaunt to allow players to bypass content and loot, this behavior may get you in trouble.

//Correcting one of my statement in the light of Eo's precision
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:44:09 AM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

PlatointheCave

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 10:32:20 AM »
It is however not the intent of ethereal jaunt to allow players to bypass content and loot, this behavior may get you in trouble.

Is this an official rule?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 11:23:32 AM »
There's actually a bug with lockpicks not applying stealth penalties and breaking stealth/invis/jaunt properly, which I'll fix, so it works like regular Open Lock. Otherwise, it is fine to use the spell as long as the behavior does not bypass its coded limitations.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:30:20 AM by EO »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 12:01:30 PM »
While we are at this (and I'm kinda sorry for the almost oot comment) I saw that when I am picking something from the ground while jaunted, the spell breaks and the item falls and that seems "wrong".

I can understand the etherealness breaking (that is correct and perfect) but breaking the etherealness AND dropping the item makes no sense. If i failed in getting the item, whyt the etherealness broke? That needs a step back, another pick item and animation, what is, sometimes, awful (I can remember it was impossible to rescue one corpse in the ooze city due to that).
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 01:25:07 PM »
While we are at this (and I'm kinda sorry for the almost oot comment) I saw that when I am picking something from the ground while jaunted, the spell breaks and the item falls and that seems "wrong".

I can understand the etherealness breaking (that is correct and perfect) but breaking the etherealness AND dropping the item makes no sense. If i failed in getting the item, whyt the etherealness broke? That needs a step back, another pick item and animation, what is, sometimes, awful (I can remember it was impossible to rescue one corpse in the ooze city due to that).

I'll try to fix this.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 08:10:37 PM »
These changes are in.