Author Topic: Server Hardware Upgrade  (Read 1922 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Server Hardware Upgrade
« on: October 06, 2021, 05:47:06 AM »
Dear fellow mistdwellers,

Our server hardware has been our trusty companion for the past five years, but it is being outdated by newer hardware and now seems a good time to upgrade. Since the time when it was acquired, we have been graced with a large influx of new players and we have even started running an action server and a test server on the same hardware.

To make the transition as smooth as possible, we will still be using the same host and IP address, so as a player, all you should notice is (hopefully) less lag. How much of a difference it will make is uncertain and you should probably not expect miracles (some of the lag we experience is not related to hardware but networking), but it gives us more room for expansion, faster resets and better ability to keep the server running for extended periods.

More concretely, we are replacing a I7 3770K CPU (3.5ghz) with an I7 7700K (4.2ghz), conventional HDDs with SSDs and 16GB DDR3 memory with 64GB DDR4.

Now before you think to thank us for this, who you should really be thanking are your fellow players. Our running costs are fully funded by the generosity of the community itself. We don't announce donations nor make it grant people special permissions, badges or similar, but we are still deeply appreciative of them. You know who you are.

Concretely, the upgrade will involve some downtime. The current estimate is 3 to 4 hours, but I will keep you all updated on the progress in this topic.

On behalf of the server staff,

Søren
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 06:51:39 AM by Zarathustra217 »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Re: Server Hardware Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 12:27:35 PM »
The upgrade is now complete. Thank you for your patience - we hope that you'll enjoy playing on this new hardware too!