You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Positive Varnishes  (Read 676 times)

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
Positive Varnishes
« on: September 27, 2021, 07:10:15 PM »
Throwable varnishes to heal your teammates! Maybe apply for positive damage on your weapon? Considering how good positive damage is it'd probably have to be 35+ DCs for them. Or more
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:12:57 PM by Dale »

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
Re: Positive Varnishes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »
what will drop positive energy essence materials?
i dont think anyone will be very happy with you grinding angel bits down
thats like, instant dark powers check

also, positive energy is basically un-resistable (unless you're a fighter with all the requisite feats) so its kind of op
the damage itself is also only found on certain loot weapons and player-enchanted weaponry

i dont think they'll add it and frankly, i dont think it serves much of a purpose anyway as the other mostly-unresistable damage type, negative, is readily available

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 09:03:38 PM »

also, positive energy is basically un-resistable (unless you're a fighter with all the requisite feats) so its kind of op
the damage itself is also only found on certain loot weapons and player-enchanted weaponry

i dont think they'll add it and frankly, i dont think it serves much of a purpose anyway as the other mostly-unresistable damage type, negative, is readily available
Well, if negative is also mostly unresistable, what difference would positive really be? And as far as what mobs, I have no clue. I just think throwable healing varnishes would be neat!

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 09:21:07 PM »

I doubt people would care about that since mages already use summon creature which pulls a creature from outside the mist int the mist.. there is a lot of angry demons devils and archons stuck in here

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 10:04:59 PM »
Positive energy is pretty powerful. Consider some of the previous threads where folk have complained about even a minor increase to positive resistance. With it already being a thing for Enchanted weaponry, I don't think varnish variations would be much use here, alongside of course finding a viable creature to gain it from without copping DP checks

LeSidhe

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 10:19:43 PM »
To be fair, it is a bit of a misunderstanding of Positive Energy to think of it as “the good energy.” It’s more about light and life force than about “the stuff of which good beings are made.” How that translates to specific creatures, I don’t know, though I would imagine if I had it to do, I would make it a complex thing that could be derived from a number of non-undead reagents. Wisps come to mind.
Sidhe
Gretchen and Drew
Discord: lesidhe

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 11:58:27 PM »
Sonic varnishes would be cool, some sort of jelly that causes resonance on an impact being the explanation. That said, it's been stated a lot that the crafting system is a monster to work with, so I'd be pretty surprised if there was any interest in adding more to an existing craft.

Positive varnishes wouldn't heal on hit unless you scripted them to, because positive damage doesn't heal the living in NWN, it just hurts them. I'm not sure we need a craftable AoE heal, but it'd probably be easier to just add a craftable alchemical item like a quintessence that had uses of Circle of Healing. As a damage varnish, too imbalancing imo.
Vicerimus Mortem.

A Common Cook

• New to the Mists
  • Witchhunter_Killer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 05:02:14 AM »
With the way varnishes currently work I doubt you could use the, hypotheticalpositive varnish, as a thrown healing grenade. Ite would make more sense if they dealt positive energy damage or applied positive energy resistance if applied to a suit of armor. Then again, what creature in the setting would even drop reagents to craft them?

I havent seen every monster on the server yet but I cant think of anything setting appropriate that would. Unless... you were able to draw essence from the souls of slain morninglordian light carriers. (this last bit is a joke, dont do that)
A plague on both your houses!

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 08:43:12 PM »
I'm fine with holy water throwables.

Positive energy reagents could be acquired from killing Xag-ya, but how they end up in Ravenloft would be up to a dev. Theres apparently supposed to be a polar opposite in the negative energy plane called a Xeg-yi, probably would see this instead in Ravenloft.

The positive damage wont stack with other sources of positive damage so it won't be particularly useful for enchanted weapons, but it would be a "good" option.... if it were ethically sourced. Not sure how a xag-ya milk/egg/essence farm would work so distant from their home plane lol...

.. probably just stick with holy water.

There's also ravids but thats like the only other native living creature in the positive plane, as opposed to the negative that has so many unliving residents we get our negative essence from.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 08:45:50 PM by zDark Shadowz »