Author Topic: Marson's Cane: Alternative Design  (Read 1323 times)

PlatointheCave

• Dark Lord
Marson's Cane: Alternative Design
« on: September 24, 2021, 07:48:25 PM »
I go to an underworld event of late and I see a sea of sticks held awkwardly at arm's length.

I know it's a marson's cane, everyone else knows it's a marson's cane. The original cane was this:

Which looks like this when held:

It can also be changed to a range of holdable item appearances that blend with more outfits than druid or akiri priest. I have a character with one, and I think there's maybe two others floating out there still.

Could we get this version implemented? Or a new item filling that role added to the loot?

BwpsychoName

• Dark Power
Re: Marson's Cane: Alternative Design
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 07:52:34 PM »
As a pretty dedicated disguise user, I would love this appearance as an option.

Devil's Moon

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
  • Master of Stars
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 07:53:56 PM »
+1 Please

EarlofEtheria

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 08:02:58 PM »
The problem would be that dual wielding these becomes possible. As much as it helps immersion one way it harms in another.

Personally I'm not a fan of weapons/misc off-hands that come will skill modifiers for this reason. The Practice Baton for instance changes the decision to be cool and fashionably hip without a shield (or a grim torch bearer), to being weaker for not holding a silly white stick several feet taller than yourself.

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 08:23:05 PM »
The Practice Baton for instance changes the decision to be cool and fashionably hip without a shield (or a grim torch bearer), to being weaker for not holding a silly white stick several feet taller than yourself.

The sweet release of death is most certainly more preferable than looking like a goon, no matter the rod you're holding.

I'd be in favor of visual customization.

Lion El'Jonson

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 03:27:13 PM »
The problem would be that dual wielding these becomes possible. As much as it helps immersion one way it harms in another.

Personally I'm not a fan of weapons/misc off-hands that come will skill modifiers for this reason. The Practice Baton for instance changes the decision to be cool and fashionably hip without a shield (or a grim torch bearer), to being weaker for not holding a silly white stick several feet taller than yourself.
+1. I hate the practice baton appearance.

Death

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 07:49:11 AM »
Honestly? I have to agree. What's with the shower rod that keeps on dropping? Let me have my actual cane.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 09:45:25 AM »
Changing it might not respect the designer's original vision for the item.
Vicerimus Mortem.

Abear

• Dark Lord
  • You are not a human being.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 12:53:38 PM »
Changing it might not respect the designer's original vision for the item.

As far as I'm aware, the cane shown by Plato is the original design.
Current: Sásha Kostoviç
Occasionally: Blair Florescu

Drekavac

• Dark Power
  • Wholesome Memer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 01:18:55 PM »
Correct, I designed the original one and it was a club item.
Turning PCs into Darklords and MPCs since 2017

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »
The problem with club items is they can be dual-wielded. If we're to change them to club items, we'll have to halve the bonuses and maluses, otherwise it's a net +4 Disguise when dual-wielding them.

Curbstone Trappings

• The Underworld
  • Outlander
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 06:13:08 PM »
The problem with club items is they can be dual-wielded. If we're to change them to club items, we'll have to halve the bonuses and maluses, otherwise it's a net +4 Disguise when dual-wielding them.

While I honestly understand where that concern is coming from,
if anyone walks up to me dual wielding a club, I know what's up, since it's at best a medium sized weapon that makes no sense in the offhand. I would buff insight and pop them. Or I would accuse them ICly of fishy behavior and see if they crack under the pressure.
Disguise was such an amazing addition to the server. It's not like hide - you have to roleplay well to keep your ruse up, as well as have good stats.

That, plus the way that the +50 skill cap works, and spot being already adjusted to breach it, I really think that we should try to make disguise holdables work in a way that doesn't sacrifice the roleplaying ruse I talked about. Otherwise we just end up with items nobody thinks are worth using.

Right now the disguise cane is good for ganks at best, and I don't know - that's cool I guess, but I think we should really try to build on the skill in a way that capitalizes on the fact that it actively supports engaging with other PCs face to face.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 06:16:23 PM by Curbstone Trappings »

Madame Trousers Son

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 06:17:14 PM »
The issue is that if the complaint against the current cane is aesthetic, then dual wielding canes is arguably making things worse.
"The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs."

- Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon

Dardonas

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2021, 06:23:28 PM »

While I honestly understand where that concern is coming from,
if anyone walks up to me dual wielding a club, I know what's up, since it's at best a medium sized weapon that makes no sense in the offhand. I would buff insight and pop them. Or I would accuse them ICly of fishy behavior and see if they crack under the pressure.
Disguise was such an amazing addition to the server. It's not like hide - you have to roleplay well to keep your ruse up, as well as have good stats.

That, plus the way that the +50 skill cap works, and spot being already adjusted to breach it, I really think that we should try to make disguise holdables work in a way that doesn't sacrifice the roleplaying ruse I talked about. Otherwise we just end up with items nobody thinks are worth using.

Right now the disguise cane is good for ganks at best, and I don't know - that's cool I guess, but I think we should really try to build on the skill in a way that capitalizes on the fact that it actively supports engaging with other PCs face to face.

That's my thing, too, I agree.  Imagine how goofy and suspicious it looks walking around with two cane models.  Even just having a cane club model, on an OOC level, will have people metagame you are disguised inadvertently.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 07:49:02 PM »
Making it a giant obvious holdable object was an unfortunate choice, it could have been gloves or something one-handed that can be appearance changed into things like books and fans.
Else Dvornikov - Akolyte of the Tyrant

Church of the Lawgiver - Sign up for tyranny today!

Curbstone Trappings

• The Underworld
  • Outlander
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »
something one-handed that can be appearance changed into things like books and fans.

This would honestly be the coolest option for a holdable.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 10:04:17 PM »
I am noticing though, I meant to say two-handed to avoid the cane problem.
Else Dvornikov - Akolyte of the Tyrant

Church of the Lawgiver - Sign up for tyranny today!

Freydaelyn

• Mistress of Faces
  • Theatre de la Cathedrale
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2021, 10:12:58 PM »
Is there a way to flag the "cane" to be a main hand only or off hand only item while keeping the look?
Celestial noise detected;Delirium unsuspected
Static tuned in to reason
Time in the aether deepens;Transmissions blink uncompleted

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2021, 10:31:03 PM »
A cane is no longer a cane if it looks anything else than a cane. Leave the cane as is. The only viable solution is to propose alternatives.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Drekavac

• Dark Power
  • Wholesome Memer
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2021, 11:31:20 PM »
But, that is what it was originally and some do exist in-game already! :P

This is probably the best solution to it as funny as it would be to see people blatantly doing so with two canes. As it currently stands someone with the club model and dual-wield it with the practice baton model. The other being a new item as suggested earlier in the thread like a book or accessories in that category.
Turning PCs into Darklords and MPCs since 2017