Author Topic: Leatherworking  (Read 20457 times)

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
Re: Leatherworking
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2008, 12:54:56 AM »
I don't think any of these would qualify as "epic," but they'd definitely warrant a high crafting DC.

Ferret Hide --> Ferret Leather Patch = Hide/Move Silently bonus (I'd say it should be mink, but they're too common.  Ferrets are rare enough to deserve their own effect.)
Spider Silk Gland --> Spider Silk Patch = 40% weight reduction, -1 AC vs. piercing attacks
Wolfwere Hide -->--> Boiled Wolfwere Leather Patch = DR 2/silver, -1 AC vs. shapechangers
Crab Carapace -->--> Boiled Crab Carapace Segment = +1 AC vs. slashing attacks, -2 reflex save

It would be nice if some of the animals that give the usual cold DR/fire vulnerability had different effects.  Razorback, for instance, and especially white stag.

Another idea is to have the rags and bolts of cloth that sometimes appear in loot be useable in place of the boiled leather patches to make normal "clothing" rather than armor that bears the soft leather patches' effects.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2008, 06:37:31 AM »
Ferret Hide --> Ferret Leather Patch = Hide/Move Silently bonus (I'd say it should be mink, but they're too common.  Ferrets are rare enough to deserve their own effect.)
Weasels as well

If you include white weasels during winter, the fur might give a bonus to influence and/or appraise. 'Maybe same property for crag cats and white stags

I would not recommend a bonus vs. poison with snake skin - but maybe a bonus to move silently. Same for any kind of cat's fur, but in height depending on the CR
Shadow fiends and shadow crag cats seem to be a likely source for something granting a bonus on hide checks.

Beetle parts and crab carapaces may be a source for some kind of scale mail with reduced weight and drastically reduced armour check penalty, but also with a decreases AC.

Demon hide may be a source for leather granting DR
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

KoopaFanatic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2008, 10:11:31 AM »
I think snakeskin would also be a good candidate for a weight reduction effect.  As someone mentioned upthread (or maybe in a different thread -- can't find it right now) prepared snakeskin is a remarkably tough leather, but it's also very light weight for that toughness.

A bonus vs. poison might be more appropriate on one of the more fanciful creature types.  Maybe a gargoyle or hook horror hide, or a sword spider or Ghakis spider carapace.

Speaking of Ghakis, there are yetis up there, right?  How about a yeti hide giving a stronger cold DR than what you get from other hides?  (Though skinning and wearing something that human-like might be a bit much for some people.  Me included, now that I think about it.)

Supposedly ostrich leather is really strong and supple.  Maybe some sort of large bird could drop a hide that gives a move silently bonus.  (I tend to ignore birds unless I'm really desperate to tame an animal, so I don't know what's out there and larger/rarer than vista chiri and ravens.)

A few times I've seen a non-tannable tiger hide item at Murnu's.  This could be added to the leatherworking menu with a bonus to influence (because tiger is just so neat looking ;)

It's a shame we don't have any acquatic monsters.  Ray and sharkskin would be good candidates for a partial AC bonus (pierce/slash, maybe) with a move silently penalty.  Eelskin could give DR vs. electricity.  (Yes, I know eelskin isn't actually made from electric eels, but it'd be too perfect to pass up.)

On the woodworking front, I really like the idea of bodak and vampire teeth giving bonuses when used as arrowheads.  How about doing something similar for the large bones dropped by some undead?  They could be used as arrow shafts, and give a +1 damage bonus vs. humaniods and animals, -1 damage penalty vs./ undead.  Or instead they could be an "antler" for use in composite bows, giving an attack bonus vs. humanoids and animals and an attack penalty vs. undead.

KoopaFanatic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »
Just stumbled across a good animal to give a hide/move silently bonus:  there's a dark-furred wolf (name starts with an S) in the lower level of the Dvergeheim mines that drops a wolf pelt when it dies.  Maybe this critter's hide could be used to replicate the late, lamented shadow armor.

Badbelly

• Undead Slayer
  • RP imposter
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2008, 05:11:54 PM »
I would like to see attributes increase with the skill of the one doing the crafting. For example, a leatherworker with up to ten levels in crafting perhaps gives +1 to his works, 10-20 = +2, 20-30=+3, etc, etc....

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2008, 05:16:04 PM »
That could get silly in the case of something like smiths and woodworkers making their high end gear though.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

KoopaFanatic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2008, 05:29:39 PM »
Agreed about it being potentially overwhelming.  It would be nice if there were some way for somebody with top levels in a craft to make more effective items, though.  Justify charging more and all.  For instance, if the effective spell level of an herbalist's potions increased once his herbalism level is higher than the potion DC.  Auto-success = better item but no cxp.  That way they're only going to make such an item if there's actually a market for it.

I *don't* think this should be an attack bonus for weapons, though.  If it were, everyone would be running around with +1 copper weapons. :)  Weight reduction, maybe.

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2008, 06:10:34 PM »
I dunno if you can do this already.. but maybe the metal you use in studded leather will give you an extra AC bonus? Steel would be the best obviously, but there's also iron, bronze, copper..
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »
Actually, if I remember right, no actual metal goes into crafting studded leather armor. Also, the small portions of metal aren't likely to be largely influenced by different types of metal.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 06:26:28 PM by ethinos »

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2008, 06:25:31 PM »
... Double posting like a n00b. :lol:

KoopaFanatic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2008, 09:04:27 PM »
That's correct.  For all the armors you just need leather and a pattern.

Cor Reale

• Undead Slayer
  • - the bullets produced no effect whatsoever
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2009, 06:29:25 PM »
i read the warning... but like the warning sign on the bridge leading north from the outskirts, across a wooden bridge... to the fisherman's lodge, the balanok mountains, the shipbuilder, the woods of shadows. I simply walked on by. So that that warning is out of the way, bypassed, where are hide armors in the leatherworkers' portfolio?

Shi'njra Hlarret
Eyms Mo'vs
Medi 'ne

failed.bard

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2009, 10:14:23 PM »
  Hide armour was combined with studded leather.  There is no true hide armour in game.

Cor Reale

• Undead Slayer
  • - the bullets produced no effect whatsoever
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »
i've seen witchhunter hide armor. thats all I can think of. which led me to suspect there was more.

Shi'njra Hlarret
Eyms Mo'vs
Medi 'ne

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
If weaving is coming about with those spider silk glands it would be nice to see some +1 gloves and belts with some basic dmg from various pelts, ie neg from worg, pos from white stag, fire with firey beetle mandibles, and so forth. Not sure if it is coming or if its just going to be added to leather working, but I have been seeing quite a few new drops from creatures that seem like craftables but don't seem to work with any of the current systems yet.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2013, 12:36:09 AM »
So I was going to look into making enchanted leather armour, but it turns out the leathers either give skill bonuses to hiding OR move silently, so there's absolutely zero point to doing it. Would it be possible in the future for there to be a material that gives both hide and MS?

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2013, 12:37:11 AM »
Preferably lots of both.
: )

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2013, 12:42:16 AM »
Well yeah, if you're going to enchant a piece of gear, it'd be nice if it was comparable to loot drops. I don't feel that skill point enchanting is balanced with melee enchanting. Melee gets huge amounts of bonuses to what they do, but people who want skill points can't get that.

• Dark Power
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2013, 01:18:18 AM »
Well yeah, if you're going to enchant a piece of gear, it'd be nice if it was comparable to loot drops. I don't feel that skill point enchanting is balanced with melee enchanting. Melee gets huge amounts of bonuses to what they do, but people who want skill points can't get that.

This is exactly why my rogue gave away his leather armor he had made, once I found out that it did nothing but either hide or more silently there was no point in me doing such. Such is the same with boots sadly...

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »

This is exactly why my rogue gave away his leather armor he had made, once I found out that it did nothing but either hide or more silently there was no point in me doing such. Such is the same with boots sadly...

Yeah....leather working is kind of a useless endeavor currently. My personal threshold was when I found out ancient dire bear sturdy studded leather armor was heavier than steel chainmail. I spent 4 years leveling a craft only to find out my character cant wear it and then run around wearing his normal kit.

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2013, 09:29:29 AM »

You could always enchant the boots as MS and the armor as Hide... or vise versa

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »

You could always enchant the boots as MS and the armor as Hide... or vise versa
Mmhmm, the MS or hide is really to make things not stack both which gives a far superior stealther. If you wish for MS and Hide on leather armor, then you're best be getting some shadow armor or rogues garb ;D

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."