Author Topic: Leatherworking  (Read 20456 times)

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Leatherworking
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2008, 12:40:32 AM »
They get bored because it does so little.  Now, if it could make Bags that dropped encumbrance a little (not at the level of the real magic ones but a bit much like the real deal), boots (fur boots, that sort of thing), fur cloaks, stuff like that, as well as tying in some things to the OTHER trades, such as animal Gut for bow strings, ligaments for various composite parts, leather for scabbards and sword hilts.  It would be more useful and a few leagues less boring.

~Rex
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

failed.bard

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2008, 07:41:37 AM »
It was also be interesting if the leather backings for the metal armours took a leatherworking roll to attach to the template, before the real metal worknig could begin.  Possibly even, if you had to takes a suit of appropriately made padded armour or leather armour as part of the requirements, instead of just throwing patches on the anvil and hammering them into place.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2008, 07:43:55 AM »
Oh, fully agreed.  I was really bummed to find out that it was limited to three kinds of armor, with a limited pool of special abilities to work from.  It would also be nice if there were a kind of leather that gave stealth bonuses, or was lighter, and so on.  Personally I'd prefer a wider variety of templates in addition or instead.  But that's been argued to death at this point.  Suffice to say I wasn't questioning why people gave up on the craft, though.
Thankfully it's at least relatively cheap.   :D

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2008, 06:19:47 PM »
Actually a significant portion of Armor of ANY level, is leather and padding.  You need something to hold everything together, mount metal to, and fluff it all up.  A good option would be to add more PARTS, to leather making to be used as part of the Smith trade.  Little inter trade support there.

~Rex

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
  There's a crafting trade on Arelith.  Only for example.  That requires smiths forming heavy armor sets to acquire leather torso's for part of the process.  I thought that was a really neat way to cross blend the needs between crafting systems.  Though.. the torso was something provided for by the Tailoring profession and not the Leatherworker.

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2008, 10:41:37 PM »
Yep, most of the more complex crafting stuff on Arelith requires stuff from other trades.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2008, 08:37:01 AM »
Has any of you ever tried to boil the leather from ancient dire bears? Should produce a different result that other dire animals.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2008, 10:49:25 AM »
  There's a crafting trade on Arelith.  Only for example.  That requires smiths forming heavy armor sets to acquire leather torso's for part of the process.  I thought that was a really neat way to cross blend the needs between crafting systems.  Though.. the torso was something provided for by the Tailoring profession and not the Leatherworker.

Yeah but the tailors get the leather from the leather workers right?  Been awhile since I've played Arelith but I always liked their Crafting set up.

~Rex

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2008, 10:54:22 AM »
Smiths require leather from the leatherworkers here even to make heavy armour.

failed.bard

« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2008, 11:07:34 AM »
  Most smiths use worg, and the DC is low enough on that they can do it themselves.  I may have to try some of the dires, though.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2008, 11:22:18 AM »
Yeah getting the leather patch is pretty simple really.  Not really the same thing as having to get a more detailed piece of leather work like a full blown mounting form.  Maybe a good idea would be to work it up so that the Leather guys can Make the Templates for the Armor, since leather and such is a vital component for any armor production.

~Rex

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2008, 11:34:44 AM »
  Most smiths use worg, and the DC is low enough on that they can do it themselves.  I may have to try some of the dires, though.

And even if the smiths don't want to bother themselves, it seems most people just cure the leather for the moderate bump in sale price to Murnu, which means a lazy smith can just pick up patches there.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2008, 11:36:30 AM »

And even if the smiths don't want to bother themselves, it seems most people just cure the leather for the moderate bump in sale price to Murnu, which means a lazy smith can just pick up patches there.

Usually by the hundred count.

~Rex

penny

• Outlander
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »

Yeah but the tailors get the leather from the leather workers right?  Been awhile since I've played Arelith but I always liked their Crafting set up.

~Rex

Nope, on Arelith, tailoring covers leathermaking and .. tailoring.

The only problem with Arelith's system is that it runs on crafting points, which you gain per level. So basically you have to go out and farm to be good at your trade(s). Plus, you can only craft a certain amount per day. Ravenloft's crafting is more tedious but realistic at least.
Plays as:
Mira
Adriana Cardei

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2008, 03:14:13 PM »
To soren: Unless it has been changed, you did get a different boiled patch but making an armor from it had the same result.

Of course, this was back when okaris was alive.
Has been described as a sometimey player

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2008, 03:19:47 PM »
one thing i always thought would be a better idea but i suppose is moot now is this

that armor smiths have to start with leather working and amor makign then once at say lvl 10 of leatherworking can make a underarmor leather suit for the metal armors instead of having them seperate and honestly this way would be more realistic then the way it is now with the template then smashing in leather into place sure its far more work but it encourages inter craft dealing and rp thoughts?

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2008, 11:58:56 PM »
one thing i always thought would be a better idea but i suppose is moot now is this

that armor smiths have to start with leather working and amor makign then once at say lvl 10 of leatherworking can make a underarmor leather suit for the metal armors instead of having them seperate and honestly this way would be more realistic then the way it is now with the template then smashing in leather into place sure its far more work but it encourages inter craft dealing and rp thoughts?

Or just set it up so that making Templates is a High End option for Leather workers.

~Rex

failed.bard

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2008, 12:16:04 AM »

Or just set it up so that making Templates is a High End option for Leather workers.

~Rex

I like this idea as well, though it might end up having to be a backing template, plus an armour form you add to the anvil still.

It always seemed to me that the templates for all the metal working things should be used on the smelter, not the anvil.  Then the anvil used to turn it from a crude, unworked, roughly shaped item into a finished product.

Unfortunately, both of these would require an extra transitional item and more scripting to be done for every item affected.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2008, 04:19:38 PM »
I'm used to a crafting system that gets to the point where you are gathering material to make Molds and Casts, which included originally, making the different tools for tinkering like smithing, and armoring/weapon type smithing, and even, the different anvils though they backed off on that one because they didn't want piles of people setting up anvils everywhere.

Adding a few more steps to a recipe would take care of a lot of that gigantic speed bump between rookie and master.

~Rex

Ric

• <Insert pwnage innuendo>
  • Dark Power
  • The writer that keeps going ... And going ...
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2008, 04:10:07 PM »
Are there any plans for new recipes?  I'd like to see things like stealth-properties & weight reduction added to leatherworking.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2008, 04:18:27 PM »
Are there any plans for new recipes?  I'd like to see things like stealth-properties & weight reduction added to leatherworking.

Yes, we are discussing them currently. If anyone has any ideas of non-epic recipes based on monsters we currently have in the module and with sensible effects that don't surpass what can be found on items in the module, please feel free to suggest them here :)

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »
Fire Beetle Hide - 5dr fire. perhaps with +25% increase vrs cold.

Shadow Crag Cat hide granting Hide/MS bonus of +2 to +4.

kenpen

• Dark Power
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2008, 05:06:13 PM »
Bodak teeth - 1d4 Negative energy damage arrows
Coldstones - 1d4 Cold Damage Arrows

Dread Treants - Some sort of Neg Energy bows/clubs/staves ('cept, have to fix the staff/club templates, which still don't work.)
                    - Also, Neg energy absorbing armor for druids/rangers maybe

The ability to make wooden armors would also be nice.

failed.bard

« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2008, 10:38:14 PM »
Mink :  +2 influence, -4 antagonize in addition to the normal cold dr, fire vulnerability.
Snakeskin : poison save +2
Vampire Teeth would be interesting for arrows of wounding.

It would be nice if the hellcats, hellhounds, and nessian warhounds dropped hides that cold do fire dr 5, 25% cold vuln, but that's not what you're asking for right now.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2008, 12:02:33 AM »
Remember that the properties shouldn't be too powerful and in line with what the base animal / creature is. Also, feel free to include creatures that do not currently drop hides, but may do so (that excludes shadow creatures since those are made of..shadows usually or incorporeal creatures).