Author Topic: Leatherworking  (Read 20462 times)

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: Leatherworking
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »
Cold resistant Items Stacking would be nice, and provide an easy glove/boot option for leather workers.

As for those folks that would stack to the stupid levels of being able to wade through White Dragon Breath, simply have them ROAST to death in warm or not Arctic environments.

Would be interesting watching a bunch of people have to take Layers Off to keep from dying of heat prostration much like how they try and put layers on to keep from freezing.  In general though even if such were not to be the case, a NICE option for the Leather and Fur workers would be an increase in items that provide saving throws, and better Anti Cold gear.

And Bags.  Those of us used to the Military and even Camping styles know that a well packed and organized Pack allows one the effect of less encumbrance while carrying even more weight.

Even if it is for a 4am 5 mile run in the rain with the Gunny screaming at you to hold your weapon right.

~Rex

Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2008, 06:04:35 PM »
This will be probably my last post on this topic for a while, as all I have to say really is BOOO lol

Sorry If I'm repetitive it's not my intention. Nor to be annoying.

All I wanna say is I totally agree with Delphinidae on *all* her points. No need for boots or cloaks yet. Just let your stuff do something exciting

Like +1 vs undead and +1d6 ftw damage! BOOOOO!

(Helaman: you haven't lost a customer, it's just that I can't get the silver yet. Plus i'm broke)
Has been described as a sometimey player

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 08:13:02 AM »
I to agree with Delphy..

After I managed to cure Ancient Dire Bears and boil em(Sturdy leather) I was thrilled since I thought it would be something cool, lets say I was greatly disappointed when the result was the same as the MUCH easier Hard Boiled.. I expected +2 AC vs Slashing and Bludgeoning(or whatever it is) and got well +1 vs it..
It was disappointing..The system is great but severely lacking in variety... The exact same armor can go from DC 24 to 34, no change in stats..

Sig by Garison

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »
I miss Haze's CNR.  :(

~Rex

failed.bard

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2008, 12:03:32 AM »
  In a way, I don't want to see magic weapon/armour crafting implemented, but higher DC specialty items.  Something like dire ancient bear plus white stag giving +1/+2 vs undead, snakeskin giving +2 poison saves, and the like.

Off topic, the other crafts need similar "uber" items, like a way to do +2 AB vs undead, and +3 vs outsiders.  It would cut down the dependence on magic, and allow native characters to play the fear of magic without being horribly gimped in doing so.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2008, 01:56:04 AM »
  In a way, I don't want to see magic weapon/armour crafting implemented, but higher DC specialty items.  Something like dire ancient bear plus white stag giving +1/+2 vs undead, snakeskin giving +2 poison saves, and the like.

Off topic, the other crafts need similar "uber" items, like a way to do +2 AB vs undead, and +3 vs outsiders.  It would cut down the dependence on magic, and allow native characters to play the fear of magic without being horribly gimped in doing so.

Right but being able to make a REAL magic weapon, a Legit Item even in a low magic setting, does away with the problem of people hauling around a BOATLOAD of equipment.

I don't understand the fear of a Real +1 or +2 Item, when the place allready has piles of things that add up to Gigantic bonuses to Skills.  Besides, those things take tons of resources and gathering such is an adventure unto themselves.

In Leather Making for Example, Look at what you get that "seems Unique"  Dire Wolf Fur, Worg Fur, Dire Bear Skins, Winter Wolf, Various Snakes, (should be an evil option for Human Skin).   Sure there are more once you factor in White Stag and all that jazz.

Just seems a shame, that most of these Unique things, many hard to come buy, or downright leathel to come buy, End up doing the same thing or nothing, for even more effort to fiddle with the stuff.

~Rex

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2008, 02:14:29 AM »

Just seems a shame, that most of these Unique things, many hard to come buy, or downright leathel to come buy, End up doing the same thing or nothing, for even more effort to fiddle with the stuff.

~Rex

I was told a long time back that the various furs would produce "unique" properties when the enchanting was added.  Thus what might seem similar now, could have unknown benefits later.

Sage - When stories come to life

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2008, 02:37:53 AM »

~Rex

I was told a long time back that the various furs would produce "unique" properties when the enchanting was added.  Thus what might seem similar now, could have unknown benefits later.

True that.  Should be interesting when it hits.

~Rex

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2008, 06:22:16 AM »
Hey, bumping this so the devs don't think we have forgotten.

We want improved leatherworking!

-Leading the tanner/leatherworker complain parade with a sign that reads*I want ancient dire bear to do something other than sell it for 90 gold*-

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2008, 01:32:51 PM »
Hey, bumping this so the devs don't think we have forgotten.

We want improved leatherworking!

-Leading the tanner/leatherworker complain parade with a sign that reads*I want ancient dire bear to do something other than sell it for 90 gold*-

* Watches as the Devs Set up the Ancient Dire Bears to have 12 levels of Monk on top of their Animal Stats and 10 points of Piercing/Blunt/and Slashing Resistance*  There you go, they can now do something other then sell for 90 gold!  :twisted:

~Rex

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2008, 05:07:30 PM »
Chances are, someone will actually manage to kill one, manage to cure it, manage to boil, make the umber +1 vs slashing and piercing weapons hard leather armor, came back here and post

BOOOO

lol

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2008, 11:17:06 AM »
Chances are, someone will actually manage to kill one, manage to cure it, manage to boil, make the umber +1 vs slashing and piercing weapons hard leather armor, came back here and post

BOOOO

lol

Don't forget Dragon's skin makes Hide Armor too.

Dragonhide

Armorsmiths can work with the hides of dragons to produce armor or shields of masterwork quality. One dragon produces enough hide for a single suit of masterwork hide armor for a creature one size category smaller than the dragon. By selecting only choice scales and bits of hide, an armorsmith can produce one suit of masterwork banded mail for a creature two sizes smaller, one suit of masterwork half-plate for a creature three sizes smaller, or one masterwork breastplate or suit of full plate for a creature four sizes smaller. In each case, enough hide is available to produce a small or large masterwork shield in addition to the armor, provided that the dragon is Large or larger.

Because dragonhide armor isn’t made of metal, druids can wear it without penalty.

Dragonhide armor costs double what masterwork armor of that type ordinarily costs, but it takes no longer to make than ordinary armor of that type.

Dragonhide has 10 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 10.

~Rex

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2008, 01:05:50 PM »
Hey! Maybe now that herbalism is in, we could do something to poor old leatherworking?

Like make ancient dire bear hide do something or white stag or... *gasp* Dragonhide dc 50 armor yeah!

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »
Need Dragon for Dragon Hide.

~Rex

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2008, 07:14:54 PM »
we got one:D And I tell you, it will be marvelous armor +2 and +4 to hide/move silently *winks*

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
Won't work.  What it takes to kill that dragon is roughly equal to a tactical nuclear device, and the Hide has to be in GOOD or Better shape.

Basic Shadow Dragon NwN set up:

Stats: (out of bioware site....some really nice pictures to btw)

Level: Dragon 31
Hit Points: 387
Armour Class: 42
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 10, Con 23, Int 28, Wis 28, Cha 29
CR: 22
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Special Abilities: Breath Weapon: Negative Energy

Description

Many, many layers of oil-black evil coat this vilest of the living dragons. So baby-seal taunting evil is the shadow dragon that prancing do-gooders simply detonate in a shower of law-abiding fragments within 30 feet of this foul wyrm. If you thought your shiny sword and bulls-eye lantern would protect you from the monsters in the dark, think again. It's not the monsters in the dark you need to fear, it's the darkness itself.

Also:

Shadow dragon

* Breath weapon: Energy-draining shadows
    * Terrain: Underground
    * Alignment: Always Chaotic evil
    * Notes: Shadow dragons are the second most intelligent evil dragons.
    * Appears in: Monsters of Faerûn and reprinted in the Draconomicon; enemy in Baldur's Gate 2. A shadow dragon called Shimmergloom is the ruler of a clan of Duergar in the second book of the Icewind Dale Trilogy, "Streams of Silver".

If it has to be splatterd with like 500000 hitpoints worth of spell damage to whack it, don't think there is going to be anything left to make armor out of.

~Rex

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2008, 12:30:22 PM »
So... what would happen to the wolf that gets criticalled for 104 damage when it has 13 hp? Just asking :ppPpPpP

Chill out man! This is a game. And we want shadow dragon armor yay!

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »
What happens to that wolf upon such an uber-crit? Easy.

The skin automatically peels itself from the corpse of the wolf, and folds itself up in a nice, easy-to-carry package on the ground in front of you. :twisted:
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2008, 08:45:23 PM »
I suppose the point I was getting at is that it would be nice, if there was a chance you did not always GET a hide from a slain animal.  Ask any real Hunter, sometimes, you just Wreck the critter.

~Rex

failed.bard

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2008, 11:41:57 PM »
I'd like to see it where animals killed with certain spells, fire and acid especially, didn't leave hides.  Wilhelm might even stop fireball hunting if that happened.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2008, 12:16:55 AM »
I'd like to see it where animals killed with certain spells, fire and acid especially, didn't leave hides.  Wilhelm might even stop fireball hunting if that happened.

A very GOOD point.

~Rex

archonzero

• Dark Lord
    • ArchonZero's Gallery Art
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »
  Is there any place that offers a guide, book or recipes to follow for leatherworking?  At the moment Aleski only tells ya the gibberish he currently spouts which is only vaguely useful and not really much.

Delphinidae

• Phasing in and out of PoTM
  • Dark Power
  • My poor wererats get no love.
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2008, 12:11:41 AM »
Nope. You need a mentor. Sadly, Danielle/Claire and Okaris are gone from this world. I think Torgan was getting into it. It's not hard at all, just frustrating and a shame that all the variety really boils down to two types of armors.

Ongoing Plots
Legacy of Blood
The Eye of the McGraths

failed.bard

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2008, 07:24:47 AM »
Dribo did a bit of leather working, but Rell asked her to stop making things out of dead kitties, so she doesn't do it anymore.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2008, 09:20:43 AM »
Mariska is a pretty competent leatherworker, and has talked more than a few people through the process.  Most of them got bored and gave up, though ;)
If you're still looking, feel free to track me down in-game and we can talk recipes.