Author Topic: Sealed Letters  (Read 757 times)

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
Sealed Letters
« on: September 11, 2021, 05:27:20 PM »
When a sealed letter is opened, please either append or prepend the text of the message body with a line indicating that the note had been sealed at one point but has since been broken open.
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

A Common Cook

• New to the Mists
  • Witchhunter_Killer
Re: Sealed Letters
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 06:06:44 PM »
The trick is to write a prefix at the top of the letter for the intended recipient...

If you receive this letter unsealed, KILL THE MESSENGER!
A plague on both your houses!

mooner

• Gendarmerie
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 06:16:45 PM »
i think there's probably more room for intrigue if it doesn't, even if it might make more sense. ideally you'd be operating on the understanding that your letters should be sealed - and if they are not when they arrive, something has gone wrong. i imagine only the most absent-minded of pryers would still deliver a letter that had a line directly notifying the recipient you'd been snooping, and it is not difficult to find out if a letter was wrongfully opened even if the person wasn't expecting it to be sealed

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 06:33:23 PM »
I agree with this some way to know it was a sealed letter beforehand would be cool especially considering that there is no way to ICly tell it was sealed yet IRL any wax seal would leave a mark on the paper.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

The Solarium

• Outlander
  • A limited holdings corporation.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 10:07:45 PM »
Couldn't you put it on the letter yourself in the text before sealing it?

Maragrouf

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 03:24:12 AM »
Couldn't you put it on the letter yourself in the text before sealing it?

Sure, but how would you know it has been unsealed? That's the part being "problematic" here. Not knowing whether or not a sealed letter has been read by someone before reaching its intended reader.

The Solarium

• Outlander
  • A limited holdings corporation.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 03:38:40 AM »
Because seals are unique to the user. It will say "So and So's Seal."

If someone broke it then resealed it then they could only make it look innocuous if they had somehow acquired the sealer's signet ring.

It'd also be no different if automated.

Eg.

With automation:

1. I seal my letter.

2. Someone opens the letter.

3. Letter is marked as having a broken seal.

Without automation:

1. I add the line, then seal my letter.

The only condition where automation might be functionally different is if it somehow noted when it had been resealed with automation, which is unnecessary because seals are unique.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 06:57:09 AM »
Because seals are unique to the user. It will say "So and So's Seal."

If someone broke it then resealed it then they could only make it look innocuous if they had somehow acquired the sealer's signet ring.

It'd also be no different if automated.

Eg.

With automation:

1. I seal my letter.

Without automation:

1. I add the line, then seal my letter.

The only condition where automation might be functionally different is if it somehow noted when it had been resealed with automation, which is unnecessary because seals are unique.

This is correct. It's possible to unseal a letter in real-life in such a manner you wouldn't know it was previously sealed. Sealed letters only work under the pretense you are leaving a partially broken seal there; And that's not even digging into the mechanics of people with sleight-of-hand managing to effectively re-seal a document using a localized heating source on the back of the seal.

Seal tampering, and seal tampering methods were a big deal back in the day. If you want to ensure that your letter is known to be sealed, it should have a footnote denoting that the letter should have arrived sealed. In theory, you can emote at the top of a letter yourself, when writing it, stating that a broken seal is present (as it would have to be in order to open the letter and read the line) thus informing the reader it was once a sealed letter, whether they opened it or not, which is as Sol suggests.

However, emoting that the letter has a broken seal could be considered foul play. It would be better to simply note in the writing of the letter, that it should have arrived to the recipient sealed. To emote the seal being present, despite the fact seals could be removed by skillful hands, or even re-sealed by skillful hands, is cheesing around a system that operates in a binary state. Sealed, or open letter. There is no mechanical representation for partial or broken seals.

So my advice? Just write:

"John,

This letter should have arrived to you with my seal in-tact. Go to the farm, and get the kids and meet me in the city in two hours. Don't tell anyone that we're leaving, or where we're going. It's safer that way.

Your Wife,

Sarah"

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 02:07:53 PM »
I'll add an indication that a seal was broken.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 03:32:21 PM »
Would it be possible to add a feature to add the recipients name on the sealed envelop?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 03:46:37 PM »
Would it be possible to add a feature to add the recipients name on the sealed envelop?

It's a seal, so no.