Author Topic: Poison Arrows  (Read 822 times)

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
Poison Arrows
« on: September 05, 2021, 01:07:22 AM »
Is there any way we can add crafting poison arrows to give poisons that animals drop a bit more use as well as give non-magic users an option on to have to use alchemical arrows.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
Re: Poison Arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 10:18:39 AM »
you can use the poisons they drop on arrows, bolts and most weapons. Not sure about sling bullets...
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Yesper

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 03:32:31 PM »
You can poison bullets as well.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 06:37:17 PM »
But the point is (and I second the suggestion) to craft arrows that have poison on them: when you coat ammunition with poison there are lots of problems with duration, etc.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Derek Jeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 02:59:23 AM »
But the point is (and I second the suggestion) to craft arrows that have poison on them: when you coat ammunition with poison there are lots of problems with duration, etc.

Probably the point for balance reasons if I had to guess, neat idea though, I guess it could replace damage varnish? Ehh... would require reworking the system meh.

Forte

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • He is a king whom emperors have served.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 06:17:01 AM »
I wouldn't even overworry about it as poison vs the other types of arrows ends up being completely outclassed in most situations. Even the more dangerous of poisons found in the wild, when applied, do little to aid. Generally speaking, a master bow user who would go out of their way to properly poison arrows would've likely killed their quarry, poison or no.
Dzenifér Uralkodó - HATEFUL

mappinger

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 10:18:39 AM »
Poison is thematic, and I wouldn't complain if this alchemical dimension was added to archery. The ability of ranged attackers to use some of the diverse poisons that are out there - especially those that can wrack a target's stats - offers a flavorful deviation from simply pouring on as much damage as fast as you can.

The problem with poison is you don't want to waste the opportunity to simply do more reliable damage (with a varnish) by using a poison that has no (or virtually no) chance to proc against a monster. Nor do you want to spend precious time in combat to apply a poison with a low/bad DC that is almost certainly going to be useless and is not going to stay on your weapon for very long.

Having the poison premade into the arrows at least solves the latter issue. But Forte's observation strikes true with me: any monster that I can get a poison to proc on, I don't need poison for. Anything dangerous enough that I'd like to status effect with poison, I can't get the poison to proc on (this may not be entirely true but I'm not immediately thinking of exceptions).

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 11:09:56 AM by mappinger »

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 11:12:04 AM »
I completely agree that poison (and for that matter, status effects) are very underated in the server.

The DC's are usually low compared to the saves and, therefore, items are seldom used.

However, it wouldn't hurt having this mechanic more useable and it would give a lot of RP possibilities: Maybe poison could be distilled in alchemy (ant that would enhance its power) and them crafted in arrows.

Damn, that would be nice even for assassin RP.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

cooachlyfe

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 11:37:20 PM »
Poison is thematic, and I wouldn't complain if this alchemical dimension was added to archery. The ability of ranged attackers to use some of the diverse poisons that are out there - especially those that can wrack a target's stats - offers a flavorful deviation from simply pouring on as much damage as fast as you can.

The problem with poison is you don't want to waste the opportunity to simply do more reliable damage (with a varnish) by using a poison that has no (or virtually no) chance to proc against a monster. Nor do you want to spend precious time in combat to apply a poison with a low/bad DC that is almost certainly going to be useless and is not going to stay on your weapon for very long.

Having the poison premade into the arrows at least solves the latter issue. But Forte's observation strikes true with me: any monster that I can get a poison to proc on, I don't need poison for. Anything dangerous enough that I'd like to status effect with poison, I can't get the poison to proc on (this may not be entirely true but I'm not immediately thinking of exceptions).

This is what I was thinking about, it was more for roleplay, perhaps even allowing someone to create unique arrows without having to dip into alchemy(which can be seen as a magical craft). I never considered it to be effective in combat, but more just for added flavor and making poisons more usable. Also poisoning things is a dex check so not everyone would be able to poison their arrows if they wanted to, making crafting them have some value, if again solely for roleplay and not real PvE content, especially late game.