Author Topic: Shaman and Shield Maidens  (Read 483 times)

Ringnar

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Slayer
  • Halflings are best!
Shaman and Shield Maidens
« on: October 11, 2023, 01:53:23 PM »
Greetings,

Imagine my surprise when I hit level 5 and found out I couldn't take Shield Maidens Grace despite having the requirements? In no area (Including the source book) does it mention the need to be a paladin, and whilst on POTM it says "The paladin can channel energy to grant grace and spiritual calm to his companions." the word Paladin is not in the source version. (Though perhaps it could be argued that Shamans dont properly have Divine Grace?) It does mention there 'Spiritual Calm" though, which is very thematic for a Shaman. Paladins dont tend to take the feat (Yes i know some are out there, I took it myself) it is a very underused feat. Shamans have the bonus feats to fit it in, and the idea of using the spirits to share a bonus for a very limited time seems a great fit. It lasts for 2-7 rounds (6+ only if your really pumping that cha) so its still not likely to see a lot of use, but it would be cool to see it out there in the wild for once.

Just sayin, would be cool and thematic.

Abear

• Dark Lord
  • You are not a human being.
Re: Shaman and Shield Maidens
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 01:58:15 PM »
Seems that it's implemented to be Paladin Only here, which is not in line with the source material which does not have that requirement.

+1, let the shamans say grace
Current: Sásha Kostoviç
Occasionally: Blair Florescu

Bizarro

• Outlander
  • But I am still the Darkness
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 03:10:55 PM »
When I tested Shaman on the test server I could take it. Maybe it's a bug?

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 04:53:00 PM »
That's weird, I thought clerics could take it too.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

bloodless

• The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • ?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 05:42:41 PM »
It requires Divine Grace, which is a Paladin level 1 ability adding Cha to saves. If Shaman gets the same thing then it should probably also get the Shield Maiden's Grace, but Cleric definitely doesn't.

Ringnar

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Slayer
  • Halflings are best!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 06:06:18 PM »
It requires Divine Grace, which is a Paladin level 1 ability adding Cha to saves. If Shaman gets the same thing then it should probably also get the Shield Maiden's Grace, but Cleric definitely doesn't.

My shaman hasDivine Grace as a feat at lvl 5, but no shield maidens :(

Bizarro

• Outlander
  • But I am still the Darkness
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 07:28:38 PM »

My shaman hasDivine Grace as a feat at lvl 5, but no shield maidens :(

Double checked on the test server. You can't take it at lvl 5 but it appeared for me at lvl 6.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 08:32:17 PM »
It's not a bug. It is on purpose that it is not available yet for shaman. This may be reviewed when the shaman class update will hit the next HAK update somewhere next year.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 08:07:07 AM »
Technically shamans shouldn't get access to Shield Maiden's Grace because Shamans don't get Divine Grace; we gave it to them here as a workaround but the feat they should have is Spirits' Favor, which works exactly like Divine Grace in PnP but doesn't meet the requirements for the Divine Grace feats.

It's actually mentioned both in the shaman's class description and Divine Grace in-game:

Type of Feat: Class
Prerequisite: Paladin level 1, Shaman level 5.
Required For: Shield Maiden's Grace.
Specifics: The character adds their Charisma bonus (if positive) to all saving throws.
Use: Automatic.
Note: This feat is used to represent Spirits' Favor for shamans.

I'll completely disable Shield Maiden's Grace for shamans next hak update to further clarify that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 08:11:50 AM by EO »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 09:58:09 PM »
This has been fixed. Shamans with Shield Maiden's Grace will have to relevel (automatic) and their uses of the relevel crystal will be reset.