Author Topic: Dirgist Graveyard sonata  (Read 586 times)

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
Dirgist Graveyard sonata
« on: September 01, 2021, 05:55:17 AM »
Hello,

The current implementation of the dirgist ability "Graveyard sonata" does not allow for any action except for moving without being canceled. This includes opening doors, which can make this ability quite tedious to use, and my experience is that it really breaks the immersion when you constantly have to duck for cover to recast it whenever you open a door.

I get that allowing dirgists to freely open chests in undead areas could cause balance issues, but I would like to request that they should at least be able to open doors without this ability falling off.

Or at least add this information to the wiki if this is not possible- because the way the class is presented doesn't make it obvious that interacting with anything breaks the ability.
Active: Warrick Geth - Journal and Story

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
Re: Dirgist Graveyard sonata
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 08:34:28 AM »
I just want to point out that it is a wiki, therefore anyone can update it. Even you :-D

Tedious it may be, you might try using invisibility in conjunction with GY sonata, and see how that works on stuff. Odds are, you'll fail a ms check, but I think you'll have less of a scramble to start singing again without getting whacked.

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 09:12:08 AM »
That's a good point- thanks for your input. You can use invisibility for extra safety, but that also kind of defeats the whole purpose of the ability. I'm a tormented artist singing for the dead here, not some trickster sneak! :p In theory, you can use it as a variant of HiPS against undead, but it doesn't feel like this was the intention behind the skill.

Part of it is an immersion issue. I like the idea of being able to move around freely among the dead- I think being able to open doors would add a lot to the experience without really hurting balance.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 03:36:13 PM »
Think about your song ability as a way to pass through a horde of zombies in a zombie movie without setting them off or needing to cover yourself in gore.

The moment you do something that the mindless would not normally do, you've broken their perception of you for the purposes of avoiding their "Inescapable Craving" (Yes this is a thing in D&D), they focus more intently on the disturbance, breaking through the narrow barrier you had set upon yourself and letting them realise you are a living entity.

Krosenq

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 06:06:46 AM »
Makes sense- I just think it would make for a smoother experience to be able to open the door to enter the room.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 05:13:36 PM »
I've adjusted Graveyard Sonata to work more consistently and to no longer break when opening/closing doors (but it'll still break when opening containers, among other things). It will now properly break when attacking also.

Bouquet of Lotuses

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 05:44:23 PM »
Thank you!
Else Dvornikov - Akolyte of the Tyrant

Church of the Lawgiver - Sign up for tyranny today!